“Great Staff with one exception, small rooms, wonderful pools”

Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Ranked #4 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I would really score this property 3.5 stars. First I will explain the not so good parts of our trip. Unfortunately one of the not so great parts was at the very beginning. When we arrived we quickly checked in and were assigned a room number. Then we were introduced to our "concierge." I knew what was coming and I had no interest in listening to any special offers or timeshare crap. It was almost 2pm and I really wanted to change into swimsuits and get to the pool since our room was immediately available. The woman sat us down and began her presentation and I very politely told her that we very much wanted to get to our room and change and get to the pool before the sun started to set. She smiled, ignored me and kept talking. At that point I really just wanted to punch her in the face. She went on for another 10 minutes at which point I repeated myself, stood up and said thank you and walked away. I think this resort and its greeters need to learn two things, vacation time for most people is at a premium and you don't start things off right with your guests by holding them hostage when they very politely make clear that they don't want to be bothered.
The room was nice, clean a little on the small side. I wore white socks while in the room because the floor was freezing with the air on, my socks stayed white, the floors are immaculate. However, I did put the card on the bed to ask that the sheets be changed and I know that they were never changed. I found that very disappointing. The bathroom has one sick, 2 would have been nice, the shower has wonderful pressure, always a plus after a day of reapplying sunscreen. Also the AC in the room is super efficient. Another big plus.
One big downside, the WiFi, it is horrible, I mean horrible, I could never get on and stay on for any consistent amount of time. It was infuriating. It seems to me that looking at reviews for a lot of resorts, this is a problem at even the best locations. They need to figure this out pronto!
The pools were wonderful, temperatures were fantastic, very clean and never crowded. It is true that chairs are taken early and it is difficult to find a place. On our first day we approached one of the men who worked by the pool. Every morning my husband went down at around 730 or 8 and the worker (I don't want to say his name in case he was doing something he should not have) saved us a bed by the pool). We tipped him everyday for helping us out. We were always out at the pool no later than 930 after eating bkfst. Waiters and waitresses by the pool are plentiful and the service very fast. Monica took care of use everyday and she was fantastic.
As for the food, I was disappointed with the breakfast buffet, I found the food to lack flavor and was never really hot. It was a let down. We ate lunch everyday at Azur and ate most dinners there and we enjoyed it there. My husband really liked the beef tacos, their Caesar salad is fantastic and we enjoyed several pasta dishes. Luis took care of us for dinner almost every night and we loved him, great personality and very attentive. The manager at Azur was also very friendly and helpful when I had some special food delivered to the hotel.

One other low point, when I called the "my wish your wish" button one day and asked that they put some chocolate in the mini fridge I was told that they don't have chocolate for the mini fridges. Seriously? But, the housekeeping staff must have noticed that my husband and I were eating M&Ms all week from a Ziploc bag that we had on the plane with us, she must have noticed we were getting low because on the last day there was a bag of M&Ms on our bed. Thoughtful of housekeeping staff, disappointed in the "my wish your wish" people.

Finally a note about tipping. I know it is all inclusive and tipping is technically not required but these people do not make a lot of money, I mean they really make very little money. You should tip when you are there. before we left I ran to bank and exchanged 200 in singles and 100 in fives and we had more than enough for a 5 day trip.

Lastly, the resort is great if you don't like kids, don't want to listen to their whining and crying and general annoying nature, because there are none. Guests ranged in age from 20s to 70s, no crazy partying here, very laid back. The aromatherapy in some parts of the hotel could singe your noise hairs it was so overwhelming.

11  Thank crimlaw79
ManagerAQCU, General Manager at Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

I appreciate your valuable review of your experience at our resort. I would like to start by offering an apology for not meeting you in person while you were here and addressing personally the inconvenience caused by the Vacation Club agents. Every feedback we receive is very valuable for us as it is our most reliable source to locate areas we have to work at, in order to meet our guests expectations. Our guest's comfort during entire stay is our greatest priority, therefore I apologize for the guest service agent who, while trying to provide you information regarding the Vacation Club membership, unfortunately kept you from relaxing after a long and tiresome journey. Let me assure you that all the points you discussed in your review are taken into consideration and will be used to bring our services to the level where we can meet and even exceed every expectation of our highly appreciated guests.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable.

We are looking forward to your next visit, do not hesitate to contact us for any pre-arrival arrangement.

Warmest regards,
Alfredo Santamaría

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at Live Aqua from 12/22 - 12/29. It's our SECOND Christmas there and we usually never go to the same place twice. At check-in we got the usual hand massage and the lady gave us an update on the new restaurants and services. Then we got a corner-terrace room (5041) which gave us amazing ocean front and bay views.

That night we ate at Blue and told our waiter Wilfredo how much we'd enjoyed a honey-glazed duck the previous year. He talked with the chef and came back to ask us when we wanted to have the duck because they were going to buy a whole duck JUST FOR US. We couldn't believe it. I mean, the place was pretty busy celebrating Navidad for the Hispanic Community on the 24th and Christmas for the Americans on the 25th, yet they were willing to buy/cook this duck to spoil us. As promised our duck was served for us on the 24th and it was every bite just as good as I remembered it. The chef Hugo came out to meet us and wrote down my email address to send me the recipe - I felt like asking him for an autograph! Yes, he cooks THAT GOOD.

Every night we stopped by Ergos or the bar by MB for a night cap but ended up meeting so many wonderful couples and trying new drinks we rarely made it to the room before midnight. We seemed to follow Patricia, a lovely waitress who is happiness impersonated. Come to think of it just about every employee at Live Aqua look genuinely happy and passionate about their work. My husband and I have been to Maui, Punta Cana, Pto. Vallarta, Baru, St. Andres and although we've had unforgettable memories from those places, it is the customer service at Live Aqua what made us go back.

Every morning I got up, got two coffees from their bigger and improved coffee shop and walked down to the bar by the beach. Sat on the swings and just enjoyed that glorious view and sound of the ocean. When Julio opened the bar I told him he had the office with the best view in the entire world - he already knew it. He'll bring you drinks all day (walking in the sand is hard - specially in the heat) yet he'll make you feel like a celebrity and has the best jokes.

The guys at the pool bar are also amazing. John, William and Jesus will keep you *hydrated* and *happy* while you enjoy this heated pool. Hubby had just bought me a pair of IronMan glasses at the gift shop and I left them at that bar. The next morning I realized and went to ask for them, John had just arrived and said: are these the ones you're looking for? WOW, talk about honesty and when I tried to tip him he was even more honest and told me William had found them.

Every night we came back to the room to find an unexpected surprise. One night we found a Snow Man made out of candy wishing us a Merry Christmas in Spanish. Another night the words "Sweet Dreams" had been written with blue rice over our bed *just how long it took our maid to do that*? She also left us aromatherapy bottles to pour on the warmer every night.

Toward the end of our trip we went back to say good bye to our friends at Blue and Wilfredo and Hugo decided to surprise us once again. Hugo brought us his version of surf & turf: a tuna steak surrounded with flank steak and delicious shrimps on top. Mhhh out of this world.

We both booked a massage, my husband a shiatsu and I went for a deep tissue massage. Once again we were blown away. If you go to Live Aqua you have to get a massage! They take you through different rooms and you relax more and more as you go through them. I can't remember the girl's name but she was very professional. Now I wish I had gotten a facial as well.

All in all we are very happy with our vacation and dream of going back. Our motto is "life is too short and the world too big to vacation in the same place twice" but once you've experienced Live Aqua you become spoiled and compare other places to it. Without a doubt we are coming back.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms with the terrace. We loved our corner terrace at 5041.
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My original trip was planned for Barbados however due to a family illness we had to cancel. The last minute I booked a trip to Live Aqua to get out of town a least for a little. It was a plan "B" but upon arriving to Live Aqua I was thoroughly impressed! We had a wonderful time. The staff, rooms, restaurants were great. The spa-like atmosphere was very relaxing. One of the best trips I have had. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Get a room on the ends away from the elevators- these halls are noisy.
3  Thank Jeffrey C
ManagerAQCU, General Manager at Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

We all at Live Aqua Cancun are delighted to know that you had a memorable time staying with us and enjoyed everything, from the selection of food, the pools and especially the excellent service provided by our staff.

We will be looking forward to your next visit, do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance in the future.

Warmest regards,
Alfredo Santamaría

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed from 12/24 through 12/28. After a challenging year my wife and I needed to get away and subject ourselves to some serious pampering over Christmas and Live Aqua exceeded our expectations. We arrived early, at 2:00 pm, and were greeted with warm face cloths, ice tea and promptly shown to our room. The front desk staff was efficient and friendly, in fact the best I've seen anywhere. I am a top-tier traveler on AA and Hilton and have yet to find a property or level of service to match Live Aqua.

Room: We selected a Garden View room but still had a view of the ocean and since we spend so little time in our room, it was just right. The room was impeccably clean and the 2X/day maid service kept it that way. The mini bar was stocked with a nice selection of Mexican beers, sodas, bottled water and snacks which were all included. The maid also left a large bottle of water daily.
Restaurants:
Azur is on the south end of the pools and also has a walk-up bar. We ate here on Christmas Eve and were rewarded with a turkey Wellington style dish that was outstanding. Azur offered a choice of buffet or menu items and both were excellent.

Siete is the main buffet restaurant and offers all-day dining. We ate breakfast here most days and found the selection and quality to be excellent.

MB is the upscale restaurant and we had Christmas dinner here. I really can't say enough about Oscar, our waiter. We never wanted for anything during the whole meal, he kept our wine glasses full and even took our picture with my iPhone. Speaking of iPhone, I had to run back up to the room to retrieve it and when I went missing, both Oscar and the manager came over to ask my wife if everything was OK. We also had breakfast there one morning.

Cafe Deli Boutique is a great place to grab a quick coffee, cookie or a dessert.

Pools:
The property has multiple pools including an infinity pool which was a little cool for our taste. On the north end is the Pool Club with a heated pool and swim-up bar. There is easy beach access from this location as well. The service was very good and we always had a full drink and a warm towel.

The only negative, and just a minor annoyance, was the spotty wifi. The Manager assured me that they are working to improve the connectivity issues. I'm sure they will have it fixed by the time we return and we will definitely return to this resort.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bulitlist
Reviewed January 6, 2013

If your looking for a place to get some R&R, then Aqua is the place to be. If you are looking to be entertain, then this is not the place for you. Aqua is exclusively a place to eat, sleep, lounge and drink to your hearts content.

The only draw back I personally experienced at the Aqua was the massage therapist. She used her elbows and would not stop even though I asked her to in her native language. I notice that the staff had a hard time communicating to non speaking guests. Her (massage) aggressiveness made me feel that she was taking her unhappiness/frustration out on me . Another drawback for me was this push to listen to a ninety minute time share pitch. Even though we told them that we already had two time shares, they would not led up. They were so aggressive to get us to go that it was such a turn off. The staff literally guilted us into going and listening to the sales pitch. And to top it off, we were there for over 2hrs!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary R
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Very pleasant place to stay. The value was more than I expected. Every;thing is included. All meals and drinks. I lived on Siesta Key in Florida and found this sand on this beach to be as soft as what I experienced there. The staff, the amenities and the cleanliness of the hotel were excellent.

Room Tip: All rooms have an excellent view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Paradise.... Amazing food, many restaurants and great room service. Close to all attractions. Across the street from La Isla shopping plaza and short cab ride to nightclubs like coco bongo. Beautiful rooms. Gorgeous beach. Best of all was the service and staff. You dont have to move from the cabana to get cocktails or food. Everything is brought to you poolside. Truly a relaxing vacation. :))) would recommend to anyone and would love to come back.

Room Tip: Upgrade to ocean view
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple