“Great place to recharge”

Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Ranked #4 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This was our first trip to Cancun and first all-inclusive resort. My husband and I are big cruisers so we wanted to see what it was like to stay on shore for once!

In short, we had a great experience and would definitely go back.

For a more detailed review, including some tips and opportunities for improvement, please see below!

THINGS WE LOVED:
The service was out of this world. Everyone was very friendly and treated us like VIPs. When they said "My Pleasure" you actually believed it. In particular, Astrid at the swim-up pool was fantastic. She was friendly, attentive and always made sure we had a cold drink or a snack.

TIP: You can order food right from the pools. Ask your server for a menu and they will bring you different ones to choose from. Also, if you choose to tip (we did) make sure you bring lots and lots of singles and fives. We were starting to run low by the end of the week and the only way to get change in U.S. dollars is to ask the servers if they can break it.

The food was also very good. There are quite a few comments about the options at the restaurants being the same every day, which they were, but there was more than enough to choose from. The breakfast buffet in Siete was great and I found myself eating things I would never imagine having for breakfast. Azure had a great atmosphere and the service was excellent. MB had a most sophisticated menu so take a look at it before you go to make sure you're feeling adventurous that day. The Sushi bar was also very fresh and the options were unique but tame enough for even a novice sushi eater. "In Lak'ech", the only pay restaurant, was amazing and definitely worth the cost. We were able to get an in-room credit that cut the price in half.

TIP: There are two other great food options you wouldn't naturally think about. One is the Coffee Shop. They make great drinks and have desserts I didn't see at any of the restaurants. The other is Room Service. They are prompt, friendly and the food is really, really good. Try the quesadillas, the tortilla soup and the filet (yep, filet mignon for room service). You won't regret it!

The property itself and the rooms were also great. They keep the place very clean and the aromatherapy scents didn't bother us at all. We had an ocean front room with an amazing view. I couldn't believe the perfect ocean view was real. We could even see it from our bathroom!

Once you are outside, there are pools as far as the eye can see. The number of pools and temperature of them was perfect. When we were there the resort wasn't very busy so we could always find a seat and an empty pool. If you'd prefer to swim in the ocean, know that they rake the seaweed out every morning. We loved acting like kids and just playing in the ocean for a while each day. It was so much fun to go wave jumping and let the waves carry you in. Good exercise too!

TIP-We were on the 5th floor and had access to the Aqua Lounge. It was great for check-in, appetizers and for the concierge service. Fernanda and Brian took great care of us. If you have a few extra bucks to spend on it, I'd say it's worth it, but don't break your vacation bank. We didn't use it enough to say it would have made or broken our vacation.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT/SUGGESTIONS:
A few things that are good, but could have been better...

-The service by the main group of pools was not as good as by the swim-up pool. We sat over there two days in a row and didn't see the servers all that often. When we did order a drink or food, it seemed to take a while. it was quicker to just walk up to the Azure outdoor bar ourselves.

- The restaurants were all very good but required you to check in with a host/hostess to be formally seated. There weren't many places to just stop in and grab something quickly. It would be great if the Siete lunch buffet was a little less formal and allowed you to just walk in.

-We were really interested in the "romantic dinner on the beach" and ALMOST booked it. Before we did, we asked the Aqua Lounge concierge for a menu...and we were glad we did. The menu was very limited and was the only thing that kept us from spending the money. We would recommend expanding it to include a few other options from the other restaurants onsite.

- The resort has wireless internet access at no charge, which we really appreciated. We just wished it was faster. Maybe they could look into an option to increase the connection speed in certain common areas or for the Aqua Lounge. Another option would be to allow you to pay for faster speeds if you are interested.

SUMMARY:
This was by far the most relaxing vacation I've ever had and I wouldn't let a few bad reviews hold you back from giving Live Aqua a chance.

Room Tip: The ocean front room is definitely worth the upgrade!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Destiny984
ManagerAQCU, Director General at Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you very much for sharing with us this complete review about our work and our services, it's a great pleasure to know that your overall experience was enjoyable. I was most happy to read of your kind comments regarding the service you received.

Every feedback we receive are very valuable for us as it is our most reliable source to locate areas we have to work at, in order to meet our guests expectations. Your comfort during entire stay is our greatest priority. Let me assure you that all the points you have mentioned in your review are taken into consideration and will be used to bring our services to the level where we can meet and even exceed every expectation of our highly appreciated guests.

We all truly appreciate your generous recommendations of our service and looking forward to welcome you back.

Warmest regards,

There are newer reviews for Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Reviewed October 2, 2012

FIrst off let me start by saying I am not a snob by any means and I do not complain about little things (chipped paint or a little rust) O_o. This resort seriously has the best staff on the planet and by reading the reviews on here I was prepared to be blown away. When I reached the resort we checked in and we were greeted with a peppermint tea and a towel for our hands while we waited on line. I didn't receive a hand massage as other reviews suggested but (no big deal it's vacation). The minute you walk through LIve Aqua's doors you are greeted with the smell of peppermint throughout the resort.

Checkin was a breeze, of course my room wasn't ready so they sent us for lunch. I ended up dining at Azur by the time we were done I went back to see if my room was ready and it was. I was offerred to upgrade for 50usd per night. I declined because I am not a person who cares if my hotel room is facing the ocean or not. The room was immaculate and I was pleasantly pleased minibar was stocked well.

The atmosphere of the hotel as other hotels have stated is very relaxing and serene.

Restaurants: MB was just okay my salmon appetizer looked great but was under cooked, and my shrimp linguini the noodles were overcooked.

Azur- The night I went it was Mediterranean night and I didn't see anything I was interested in on the menu.

Siete; I did Breakfast buffet here which was great so many good choices, the Italian dinner buffet was also wonderful, the Mexican a la carte restaurant on the other side (for obvious reasons was my favorite).

Lunch Pool Bar: The tacos were out of this world good. Seriously besides MB I had no issues with food.

ROOM SERVICE: The best food I had and extremely quick.

Throughout my stay I saw several workers painting (so your reviews are being addressed).

Here's my issues with the resort:for starters. I think a brochure or a pamphlet should be given to guests so they are aware of some of the amenities, restaurants, bars, pools,gym, spa just everything in general, I think it would be beneficial to guests. One day it was raining and me and my fiancee were just sitting in the hallway with nothing to do (since we don't drink much). A worker who was leaving for day stopped us and told us maybe we can order a movie and there will be live entertainment at the Azur restaurant from 7pm-9pm. I was grateful for this information because I was honestly bored to death here at this hotel. I went to my room called the concierge and asked for the movie collection and within minutes a worker was at my door with a booklet full of dvds. They had recent movies too.

I mean how much can you eat at a hotel or sit by the pool? I understand this is a relaxing resort but if you want to cater to everyone then there should be more activities for individuals like me who are active and choose to participate.

In short, if you're happy w reading a book by the pool all day and eating and drinking cocktails THIS IS TRULY THE PERFECT RESORT FOR YOU. Also of note, I saw several same-sex couples at this resort this was a very friendly environment for them.

Lastly tipping, if you're going to a 5 star resort ppl you really should tip these workers for their terrific service. I saw so many ppl not tipping I was actually appalled. This is simply the best staff I've encountered at any hotel and they truly deserve tips.

4  Thank msbrunson330
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I just came back from Live Aqua and felt that I needed to share my honest review.

Pros:
- ocean and beach is breath taking
- clean and safe beach
- property is very clean and maintained
- service is very good
- Quick and efficient room service
- Very well trained employees

Cons:
- no entertainment, the hotel is very dead in that sence
- low variety of food. I felt that I was eating same food all week that was presented differently.
- wine was disgusting
- I didn't get the room that I was expected and they would not change it.
- The cleaning service would not come unless I would ask for it
- The mini bar was not always filled until colled it
- My sealing in my room was leaking one day
- Drinks are ok, but not to the best standards.

Overall, it's a clean and safe hotel with friendly staff. But it's very boring and not up-to- standardards yet. I would not pay more than $1,200 USD (hotel and ticket) for one week. If you are paying more than you are overpaying and it's not worth it. I will not come back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the first room that they give, they will upgrade it for free.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank TravelerSeattle06
ManagerAQCU, General Manager at Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments of your recent stay with us. Although many travelers find Live Aqua Cancun to be a great place for romantic and relaxing getaway, with excellent food options and outstanding service, I do understand that the concept of our hotel does not suit your kind of lifestyle.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. I would like to assure you that we pay careful attention to your feedback and we are taking immediate steps to correct any deficiencies.

Once again please do accept my apologies and do not hesitate to contact me with any further comments regarding your experience with us.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I use trip advisory whenever we travel. Once again, not dissapointed at all. This resort is the best that we've been too. Ther service is amazing, Ego's bartenders are very attentive, hat's off to Roger (Pipito). The pool service far excedes any resort we've been to always ready with towels, drinks, food. I also enjoyed my massage at the Spa, Claudia very professional. The rooms are big, clean and room service 24 hours and you don't have to wait long for your food to arrive. The ambiance of the whole place is very calming. We certainly will be returning.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a Ocean view deluxe, breath taking.
1  Thank cher77Acushnet
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Let me start by saying that I have never taken the time to write a review before but feel like I owe it to the wonderful staff at Live Aqua. I have been fortunate enough to have traveled to over 65 countries and have stayed in many of the recognized greatest hotels in the world.
At most all inclusive resorts, the food and service is not on a par with traditional non-inclusive (European Plan) hotels and it is often necessary to downgrade expections when staying at an all inclusive. This trip exceeded my expectations and proved me wrong on all accounts. Believe all the outstanding reviews about Live Aqua.

Every meal we had was tasty and the variety of dining options was good. The cuisine had local influences with, for example, a chef at breakfast cooking up made to order "street tacos" with fresh mole, ranchero, verde and rojo sauces.. The restaurants also had everything from great ceviches, empanadas, local fish, grillled lobster to nouveau Latin cusine with foam and other inspirations that would make Ferran Adria proud. Nice international touches included a sushi bar where the chefs remembered our preferences after day one to a coffee bar with complimentary espresso drinks and fresh donuts and pastries in the morning. The quality late night room service was an added bonus.

The resort was immaculate even the pool bathrooms which had a lot of traffic at times; which the resort countered with nearly full time personnel cleaning in the bathrooms. Dirty glassware around the hotel and pool was picked up in moments by the staff.

We appreciated the oversized pool towels, the abundance of large umbrellas around the pool, and a mix of cabanas and day beds both by the pool and on the beach. The pools themselves even lived up to expectations for a resort called LIve Aqua. There were numerous pools - all shapes, sizes and depths. Our personal highlight was lounging in the infinity pool with a cocktail overlooking the sea. Heaven. Really.

The rooms were beautiful; just as pictured on the website and the beach was spectacular with moderate surf. Twice daily maid service refreshed the mini-bar and provided reliable turn down service and a change of towels etc.

The late night scene had something for everyone. One could sit by the pool or ocean while hearing subdued music as the primary pool bar was open late for a pool bar - 11 pm as I recall. There was a more elegant and traditional bar inside for pre/post dinner cocktails and there was also the late night disco which was fun into the wee hours- "chocolate cake" shots for everyone and even a nightly transport to the clubs in Cancun for anyone crazy enough to want to leave the resort.

Which, by the way, if you want to leave the resort, La Isla outdoor mall is across the street. Lots of shops are there including a couple of bars/restaurants like Planet Hollywood.

Upon checking out, the hotel manager carried our bags and the staff doted over us until we left the resort. By comparison, at some resorts when checking out the staff appears to have lost interest. Definitely not here. In fact, as we waited for our airport transfer, many staff members- some of whom had assisted us during the stay came by on an almost nonstop basis making sure we enjoyed the vacation and that everything was perfect, asking if we wanted food or drinks, etc.

In sum, we are picky and this resort had it all together. I have no hesitation in recommending this resort to anyone. Outstanding.

11  Thank Patty33423

Thank you for speaking so highly of our service and the quality of experience we offer to our guests, we are completely honored to receive such a positive feedback and read that your first visit to Live Aqua Cancun was enjoyable and exceeded your expectations. It was a pleasure to make your stay so memorable, as we always try to impress our guests with the service, food choices, comfort of rooms and serenity of the environment.

Thank you so much for your kind words and recommendations for future travelers, we are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Just got back last night from a week at Live Aqua. We went there on price and from reading reviews from here. We were not disappointed. The resort was wonderfull. The hotel, rooms, restaurants,etc were all very clean. The staff was awesome, always there to help, and their only response was, Its our pleasure! The food was great, room service was the best (eggs benedict, almost everyday!) The bars were laid back, yet still fun. The whole atmosphere was laid back, yet hanging out at the pool and bars with others turned into great laughs. The waiters/waitresses at the pool were great too. Special thanks to Monica and Alejandria! They were on top of empty drinks, suggestions for new drinks, food, etc. The waiters at Egos were great too. Remembering our drinks, jokin around, making it fun. Thanks to Roger, Julio and Abdiel, you guys helped make our vacation fun. We also let the hotel know it was our anniversary. We had champagne and chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our room, and the bed decorated with rose petals upon our arrival back one night. Top notch move. The beach is great too. Oh, and the baby sea turtles...a must do. Oh wait almost forgot about the spa. Great massages from Amparo and Lucilla. The spa is great, get there early and experience the whole place. We have been too several places in Mexico, and would definitely go back to Live Aqua. We are real, not from the hotel, feel free to contact us! ken0979@hotmail.com

Room Tip: We had room 8017, middle of the hotel, with a great ocean view (upgraded and very thankfull for them...
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at Live Aqua from 9/4/12-9/8/12.

This was my husband and my second stay in the Cancun area. For our honeymoon, we stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres (back in 2010).

When we planned this trip, we booked very last minute through cheapcaribbean.com (literally the Friday before the Tuesday that we departed!) We originally were headed to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, but were scared about the weather down there, so we changed plans and decided to head back to Cancun!

I have to admit, we were a bit skeptical when we booked at Live Aqua since we thought we were spoiled by our stay at the Excellence resort, but this place was INCREDIBLE. The reviews DO NOT lie. We spent countless hours reading reviews and searching for the perfect resort, and this is it! We were MORE THAN pleased with our stay at Live Aqua. This was our first time staying in the "hotel zone" and it was a pleasure.

I have no complaints, only compliments! There were 4 of us that traveled together, my husband, me, and another couple. This place was perfect as it is adults only, and we did not have to worry about crying kids around (of course I love children, but it was nice to be away from them on vacation!)

The infiniti pool with a view of the gorgeous beach & water was mind-blowing! We spent most of our days right in that pool taking in the lovely view and ordering delicious drinks. If you have never stayed at a resort with an infiniti pool, you don't know what you're missing!

The food was incredible. We were worried that there were only 3 restaurants (compared to 9+ at Excellence) but the service and food variety were impeccable. You did not need reservations either, which I have heard you do need at a lot of upscale resorts, so that was a huge perk. 24 hour all-inclusive room service was also amazing. We would recommend going to Siete for their breakfast buffet (such a nice spread & incredible options), dinner at MB had AMAZING food but sit on the patio (it gets so hot inside the restaurant), and lunch & dinner at Azur was delicious as well.

We also had a couples' massage at the AMAZING spa during our stay. It was so relaxing and above and beyond our expectations.

Although all of the staff provided exceptional service, we would like to give some "shout-outs" to the following people for making our stay at Live Aqua above and beyond what we had hoped for!

Aaron - Front Desk - he was very friendly & helpful!
Rene - Our FAVORITE server at Siete! He did such an incredible job and we went back to him several times for dinner!
Patricia - Wonderful service at the AKA Bar! She is so sweet & friendly!
Alfredo #1 - Made our lunches at Azur so fun and delicious!
Alfredo #2 - Made our dinners at Azur incredible as well!
Abraham - Concierge who showed us to our room and brought our bags up. He had such a great attitude and always had a smile on his face.
Candy - Concierge who answered all our questions upon arrival.
Alejandra- Concierge who gave INCREDIBLE hand massages :)

If you are looking for a relaxing stay, with delicious food & beverages, incredible service, and just an all-around good-time, stay at Live Aqua! I cannot comment on the "night-life" given that we just liked to stay around the resort area, but I have heard that there are a lot of options. Most of the staff could give you advice on where to go if you wanted to go out, although the resort itself did not seem to have a lot of options other than the bars & lounges, which was plenty for us!

Room Tip: Upgrade to an Ocean Front room. You won't be disappointed! We started out with the "Garden...
2  Thank JaclynME