“My 3 girlfriends and I were treated like Queens!”

Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Ranked #4 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
“My 3 girlfriends and I were treated like Queens!”
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I just returned from a week at the Live Aqua...it was amazing! The Ocean, beach, pools, and the grounds were so beautiful words can not explain. So check out the pictures posted! The service was so good we felt like royalty. Yes we tipped alot but these people were breaking their necks for us before we could even tip so I felt it was so deserved!
The food was great some days and not so much another. My best meal was at mb...I had the sea bass two different nights and it was great! How well the food was really depended on how much we ate prior, the waiter and was totally an individual experience... We loved everything that was Mexican inspired... So if you do not like Mexican food it may not be your thing. The coffee bar and the juices in the am were a big hit. Absolute Vodka and grapefruit juice down on the beach my personal favorite! But EVERY drink on the beach was great!!!
My only complaint would be more of an orientation to get an idea of what the resort offers. I do not know if we just missed it or they do not offer it? It took a day or so to figure out where things were etc..
Our favorite place to be was on the beach with a couple of umbrells over our 4 chairs with our new best friend Jesus taking care of us!
THANKS to Jesus and Jose on the beach..
Julio from room service...Manual who made sure we were taken care of for my friends 50th...Carlos
at the coffee bar! And my personal favorite waiter Rohibi at mb!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank mriley525

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,615)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Hillsborough, New Jersey
Reviewed February 12, 2012

We just came back from Live Aqua. That was by far Top all inclusive resort i have ever been.
As soon as we have arrived we were offered diiferent rooms. First we declined the offer, since it wasn't very valueble. However, when their manager tokk things over, he made us an offer we couldn't refuse. Manuel Sanchez - is the man. Great service, fantastic food, spa and beach ammenities.
Want to personally thank all the staff, especially Manuel Sanchez. Thank you, man. Great service. Would definatly recommend this place to everyone. Would definatly comeback there again, and again and again...

Dmitriy G.

Room Tip: Was not really happy with steak house. Steaks were over saltied, lobster was dry. Nothing special. A...
4 Thank Dmitriy G
NYC
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Live Aqua (LA) is an interesting place! After having been to Cancun many times, I have to say that LA has a lot going for it. At the same time, they miss the mark in the simplest of areas. I would have rated them 3.5 stars if allowed, but I rounded up for them since it appears they are trying and there is potential. Here are my opinions based on the experience I encountered during a one week stay with my wife and friends.

Smooth Check-in:
We arrived on Saturday around 1 PM. There was no wait and the process was smooth and cordial. We were not given hand massages as some have in the past, nor did we want them. We were, however, offered an upgrade on the top floor with Aqua Club lounge access, which we accepted for a nominal fee. There was no timeshare push. In fact, we were not approached even once to take part in a timeshare pitch our entire stay.

Comfortable Room:
I enjoyed the comfy bed, lots of TV choices, cleanliness, quiet and efficient A/C, varied aromatherapy scents, plug for iPod station worked with my non-Apple mp3 player, and the maid and turn down service were very good except for one day. I didn’t like the fact that the water in the shower would go out repeatedly. Also, a double vanity would have been nice as most other “luxury” resorts I have been to have this.

Crumby Aqua Lounge:
I have nothing positive to say here. The lounge was a complete joke and doesn’t even compare to other lounges I have experienced. If you’re debating the upgrade, my advice is to skip it.

Dismal and Missing Entertainment:
They charged $10 per person to watch the Super Bowl in a conference room with popcorn and hot dogs. Really, at an all-inclusive you’re charging people for popcorn? I think most all-inclusive resorts threw a big Super Bowl party free of charge. Aside from daily volleyball we didn’t see any entertainment during the day. They did come around one day for a quick two-minute quiz, which nobody won; it was really just a promo for selling Coco Bongo (nightclub) tour. There was also one short appearance of a girl doing tricks in a big metal ring – very cool, but brief! We also noticed a gypsy looking fellow playing with a crystal ball around the pool one afternoon. There was no nighttime entertainment, as others have reported, except for a Friday fire show. We really wanted to see the fire show, but it was cancelled due to a very brief period of rain even though the sky cleared up nicely and it turned into a nice night. There is lots of room for improvement with the entertainment.

Mostly Good Food and Terrible Beer:
The beer choices were limited and not very good. They often ran out of beer selections and you were limited to Tecate or Tecate Light. I recommend neither. Oddly enough, another one of their cheaper properties, the Fiesta Americana Condessa, has better beer options, including Modella Especial and Negra Modella. As for the food, it was good for the most part, but it was pretty inconsistent. One night you’ll go to a restaurant and the food is good. Two nights later the same restaurant will be just okay at best. What was interesting is that they would mess up the simplest things. Like completely running out of bacon at breakfast and not having syrup for pancakes. The omelets were the worst I have ever had. To save time, the cook prepares your fillings and eggs in two separate pans and then just folds in your fillings at the end. The result is an omelet that losses its fillings and lacks flavor. Their burgers were pretty gross, as well. The burgers were about the worst I have had at any resort in Mexico and I have been to plenty. Lastly, the room service food stunk. To be fair, the room service we ordered was off of their limited late night menu, but the pizza and quesadillas we tried were just not good. We liked ordering off the menu at Azur for lunch and found the Ceviche hut next to the swim-up bar to be a fun option for a quick lunch with a view. Oddly enough, the pasta was the most consistent and best made dishes. Being from New Jersey, we know good Italian and it wasn’t bad.

Inconsistent Service:
Jose, Manuel, and Victor were great bar tenders at the swim-up bar and Cesar was a good poolside waiter. There were also several waiters that went above and beyond to ensure we enjoyed ourselves. However, we also received some pretty unfriendly service too. The bartenders in Egos need lessons. A Kamikaze shot is not tequila with blue Curacao. Also, get used to hearing, “sorry, but we don’t have this right now,” which goes back to the title of this review. How do you run out of tonic at a bar? Everywhere we went they were out of something and it was basic stuff.

Would I go back?
Live Aqua is an interesting place that has potential, so I can’t say never. However, at this time I would not go back. There are better resorts, in my opinion, that are similar in price once you factor in the cost of the room upgrade.

Room Tip: Don' bother with the Aqua Lounge
3 Thank VacationDude
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Okay, so I never write reviews, but if you are like me and a freak about research, you will want to read this. I spent TONS of time researching for this vacation, and for the most part it paid off, however I feel like I had very high expectations going in, which may have ruined it a bit for me.
First of all, when we arrived at about 6:00pm to the hotel, we did not get the hand massages I had read about, but we did get some cold sweet tea and cold towels, both were very nice, however it did not make up for us having to stand around waiting to check in for a good 30 mins at least. It seemed VERY unorganized and there were a lot of people waiting, even with 3 people working at the front desks. They also seemed they couldn't care less that it was our honeymoon, and we did not get the romance package like I've seen others get with the rose petals and what-not. My husband ended up paying extra for it.
Having said that, I would say that was the worst part of the hotel for the most part-but read on. A bad first impression is never good.
We had a viento suite, which though very nice, I wish I had upgraded before they were totally sold out to the aqua suite, which we did finally 4 days later (which made ALL the difference..more on that later also).
So when we got checked into the room, I asked the baggage attendant for a stand fan, as the hotel is VERY quite (aside from the random noises depending where your room is located b/c of the marble), as we need white noise to sleep. He gave me a bit of attitude about this saying "seriously? you need a fan?...and things of that nature which really surprised me and took me aback. I was not happy, but we did get our fan. In general, I found that you had to ask for things more than once to get them.
Our room though nice, did NOT have 2 balconies as it says on the website, not sure if that was b/c we were in a corner or what. We had problems getting hot water until we called about that, and often we ran out of toilet paper and had to call for that also (surprising the cleaning people didn't replace it).
So my major complaint is the inconsistency: some people were very helpful and on it, while others really dropped the ball.
The beach and pools are beautiful, though they do not have a lot of umbrellas or shade if that is what you are looking for, and when they were at full capacity, they ran out of towels for the pool/beach areas several times. They also ran out of water! I feel as though they really are not equipped to be fully booked, and I was quite shocked by some things they were always running out of. Also, they will say we will bring you something when it's in, but consistently never did.
Okay, having said that, but second part of our trip was great. The food generally is very good (and I have had a lot), and the aqua suite we upgraded to was AMAZING...though it smelled extremely musty and we could never get the smell better. If you can afford it, I HIGHLY recommend this suite. They are the ones on the ends of the building with large terraces.
You get access to the aqua club lounge with any suite, or you can pay for it, though I really feel it is NOT worth it. Shout out to Julio who worked at the lounge for some of our trip..He is AWESOME. Tania at the front desk was also awesome, and made our room transition a breeze.
This resort is definitely more for relaxation, as there really is nothing going on at night. There is one "club" that does have dance music, but is more of a lounge. Aside from that, there really are no activities planned, but that was okay with us. IF you want to go out, the big bars and clubs are just a couple miles away.

SO..to sum this very long review up...

PROS: Great food (best room service food I have ever had!), beautiful landscaping and pool areas, very nice generally helpful staff, very nice hotel and decorated.

CONS: Inconsistent with service, ran out of essentials a lot, seemed unable to handle full capacity, have to ask for things more than once.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank kfk79
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 11, 2012

I really meant to write this review as soon as we got back from our vacation (January 15 - January 20th). Having been to Cancun several times before I have stayed at several other hotels and one villa. This, by far, was the best of all of the trips. The hotel was immaculate. I loved the entire vibe they've created with the ambient music, the aroma therapy and the decor of the hotel. Every detail has been considered. We were looking for a location that wouldn't have screaming kids at the pool and we found it. The spa was excellent, great massage, superior facilities. Our room was Oceanfront, definitely worth it if they are available. We had paella by the pool that rivals the quality of any fine dining restaurant. We did need a reservation (not hard to get) for Azur but that was because they have two seatings for dinner. This was a more upscale experience complete with live opera style singing. We really expected the food to be subpar at the hotel since it was all inclusive. Much to our surprise and enjoyment the food was excellent. The quality and variety was exceptional. We really enjoyed coming back from a day trip to Playa Del Carmen to find a complimentary bottle of Champagne chilling on ice in our room. I will say that there was only one label for the cabernet wine they serve. Fortunately it was Chilean and pretty tasty, so not an actual complaint. Any other drink you might drink was available and served with a smile. Which brings me to the staff and bartenders. I can not say enough about the staff at this hotel. Everyone speaks English and not only were they courteous, they went out of their way to provide exceptional service. Each person made you feel like you were a personal friend. The BEST, best, best team is the group of bartenders at the AKA bar (downstairs by the Mb restaurant). Luis, Bladimir, Gerardo & Pablo seem like friends you've known for years. In addition to also having a great rapport with one another, they serve super tasty drinks. Even though we thought all of the guys were great, Luis was outstanding. We recommend this place without reservation. If you get there, drop by the AKA bar, we loved it. I hope that all of these great reviews don't impact how fabulous this place is.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DonutSprinkles
Vernon, Connecticut
Reviewed February 10, 2012

So here's the scoop on the Aqua Live. I came here with two couples and myself, our focus was playing doubles beach volleyball. After four days and twelve hours of volleyball, my body was hurting; I'm not a spring chicken anymore. I saw the spa book and services offered. I almost didn't get a massage, the reason being: Any appointments missed, not only did you have to pay for the massage (which I think is only fair), but an additional 50% up charge. It really rubbed me the wrong way! ( no pun intended) However, I had never heard of a 4 handed massage; and I was definitely having one! It was AWESOME! I would highly recommend you taking advantage of this spa amenity. With the resort credit, It cost $60. Beware... It was SO good, I went the following day for a second massage as well, $160. I asked for the same two massage therapists, Rosario & Ricardo. They both truly have a magical healing touch; She's a cutie too! I went initially for the deep tissue, and then the Swedish massage. This was one of the highlights at the resort. The food being the other... ( I hope my friends don't read this) A couple of my friends are... How shall we say... "food snobs" They actually enjoyed the food here. MB was good but has a limited menu. Eat outside in the evening at this restaurant. It is so very romantic! Azure was very good! There is definitely more of a selection at this restaurant. I thought the filet minion at the outside steak restaurant was a 10, two of my other friends gave it an 8 & a 9, the other two weren't so happy because their steaks got mixed up. I did get a piece of uncooked fish, which creaped me out. I didn't get sick though... I was just fine. The shrimp and fish taco's at the outside beach bar restaurant were simply to die for... the best ever!

The Negatives... Right at check in, they push room upgrades, all of us were given different prices. I was initially told $30 but declined; It was then dropped to $25. Brian and Alice upgraded at $35 a day. The other couple in our group was quoted $75. We both didn't upgrade and had the construction site view. You could position your chair and see the ocean and the beach. I was OK with the view. I would say you can negotiate the price of a room upgrade. I was in room 1044. The room it self was very nice, but I had three days of cold showers and drain was very slow taking out the water. They just didn't have enough hot water storage capacity. The shower door stayed open two inches and would soak the bath mat. The maid service, Wonderful! My room was always very clean. I am not a big fan of the turn down service. I can pull the covers down myself and didn't really like a nine o'clock visit to do so. It was also very noisy on my floor too, which woke me up several times at night. My friends also experienced the slow drains, but they all had hot water, unlucky me. I had planned on using my $100 room upgrade in the last couple of days, but I was informed they were full. I just sucked it up where I was... I got up a bit earlier to shower with hot water.

I love the Mexican people, they are so nice and helpful here, very hard workers. I enjoyed this resort. It took a while to get used to the sanitized white attire and gentle new age music. It is very tranquil and peaceful. I could wear mentholated analgesics (Ben Gay) and no one would know. The whole place with the aroma therapy smelled like menthol and peppermint! ( I personally liked it! ) All in all it was a very good trip and a memorable stay at the Aqua Live!

Seriously though... get the 4 hand massage with Rosario and Ricardo! It was simply the best!

Doug Ct USA

Room Tip: Negotiate a room upgrade. One of our friends used his room upgrade to get into the 5th floor lounge...
5 Thank Doug06066
IA
Reviewed February 10, 2012

We stayed Jan 24th thru the 31rst for our 13 year wedding anniversary. The hotel brought up Champagne and 5 giant chocolate covered strawberries and a card our 1rst night. What a nice surprise!!!!! We loved everything about the Aqua. The service is exceptional from the pool waiters to the restraunt and housekeeping staff. The Hotel is beautiful we did like the aromatherapy it adds a touch of spa to the atmosphere. We stayed on level 1 room 1014 with a KIng size bed, It was quiet and clean. Housekeeping cleans 2x's a day. I loved the aromatherapy and we tried them all. We had a nice view of the ocean and a triangular patio. Which is quite abit larger then the front facing rooms patio's. All their food was fabulous. We especiallly loved the steakhouse (have the filet mignon) and Azul the beach restraunt. They always had tender white fish that was to die for. You have so many choices you could order from the menu or have buffet or both. We are not breakfast eaters so only tried Siete once. I don't understandf how people can say you'll tire of the food after a week. There is no way you could possibly eat everything. Don't believe them!!! Great guacomole and pico as well as seafood ceviche , tacos and tostadas at the little restraunt under the pool bar. YUMMY!!! Another favorite is the coffee shop they make expresso and other coffee drinks and have assorted baked goods bars cookies etc.. DELISH!!!
The pools are beautiful with plenty of seating and comfy beds if you can snag one. All pools are different temperatures. There are at least 2 infinity pools that are to die for cool. Loved that! The pool at the Royale was always freezing and so no-one swam. I swam daily. There are so many staff members waiting on you around the pools you never had to get up unless you wanted to. We did tip but I really think the service would have been great even if you did'nt.
We used our $100 spa credit for foot massages poolside. They were 70 dollars normally so ended up being 20 dollars for 30 minutes which is very reasonable. We had a little rain that put the ca-bosh on the Friday night Fire show. So we missed that. That was the only show scheduled so abit disapointing. We certainly did'nt mind not having nightly entertainment. All the resorts we've been to that have shows are not that great anyways. We did venture to the mall across the street on our last evening. It is huge and 2 levels. Even has canals with gondola's. It's a really nice place with many restraunts and exclusive as well as regular shops.
All the bars are nice Ego's is really hip with a glowing red bar and plays loud music. The wine bar is quieter and down by MB restraunt. There is also an outdoor bar. Always plenty to drink as your room has beer in the fridge or you can order room service for anything you want. What could be better??? The beach is wide and soft white sand. We walked many miles both directions for fun. There is a small mayan ruin to the north just off the beach. There is not much left of it but worth seeing. Its not far away. The ocean was a bit rough red flags on most days. We just waded in to our waists and jumped on waves. The color of the ocean is vibrant turquoise and azur blue. We loved everything about the hotel and can't wait to come back. Yes we both felt the Aqua has the Royal's service beat by a mile. I did pick this hotel by strictly reading trip advisor and the fact it was adults only. Thank you Aqua we had a great time! We've already sent 2 couples to the hotel!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple