“BEST EVER Mother & Daughter Trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Ranked #7 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Leawood, Kansas
“BEST EVER Mother & Daughter Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

I wanted to plan a "once in a lifetime" vacation for my daughter and I. We were celebrating her 40th birthday. Live Aqua Cancun was the perfect place. We wanted to relax and be pampered. This place was absolutely fabulous. From the moment you walk into the lobby you began to relax. The music and scent of eucalyptus, rosemary and peppermint captures your senses. The staff is very gracious as they welcome you. Our rooms were wonderful - the beds very comfortable - 4 star quality. The food was GREAT! I cannot say enough good things about this place, the staff, the spa, the service everywhere - from the pool to the beach. You are totally taken care of. My daughter and I are still talking about it. We would go back again and again. We highly recommend this place for couples, close friends and even to get away by yourself. You will not want to leave the premises. It was just the BEST EVER! The trip was planned though Orbitz and they were also fabulous! They called on each travel day to keeps us informed of flight arrivals and departure. Very nice. Hotel transportion was also arranged though Orbitz. Didn't have to worry about anything.

Room Tip: An ocean view is not essential because you will not spend that much time in your room. The beach and...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Sonya L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,543)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
fargo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

We had a great time on this trip. The service and food were top notch. We really loved the great steaks in the MB restaurant. The shrimp tacos and ceviche in the restaurant hidden beyond the swim up bar was great. Did your toes in the sand and enjoy good food. The lunch time buffet in the Azur restaurant was excellent also. Most people threw on a coverup and sandels when eating there. The swim up bar and the Ego's bar were kinda hidden. We were told that all bars/restaurants were on pool level, but Ego's is next to the lobby. It is the only bar that offered any kind of nightlife. Very few people were ever in there. The DJ was great. The swim up bar was the only bar that upbeat music outside. This was one area that needed working on. We weren't there to power drink like spring breakers, but wanted something to do that was interactive with other guest. We ended up taking the bus to Senior frog for $1 each way for a bit (bus stop is 1/4 block away from the hotel). The mall across the street was fun to visit. Whole area was well lighted.
That being said, it was the most relaxed I have ever been on a trip. It was some of the best food with beautiful restaurants. Employees were well trained and you never had to wait for service,,ever.

Room Tip: Definately upgrade your room. It allows you to the private lounge with had great food and drinks...
3 Thank foodloverFargo
Wixom, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

I'll keep it short and sweet: If you are looking for a clean, modern and a relaxing place to stay, this is the place for you. The entire staff seemed to take great pride in assuring that all your needs are taken care of. Rafael, a supervisor,was always around to make sure that our stay was enjoyable. Be sure to visit the coffee bar near MB's. Richardo serves the best coffees and light snacks.

Nothing bad to say about Live Aqua. If you want more info, just read Piet C's review.

Room Tip: We upgraded to an Ocean View Room. Well worth it for the view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jessie D
Triangle, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

Everything was awesome. The hotel was extremely relaxing. The food was great and plentiful. The drinks were good and my glass was never empty. The hotel is so beautiful and the staff so willing to please .I cannot wait to return.
As for the sales pitch, yes, as soon as you leave customs, the time share folks attack you, I ignored them and did exactly what Expedia said. I went outside and looked for the uniformed company providing my transportation. No problem.
At check-in, after getting our keys, we were solicited by a nice lady about a timeshare deal. She was not pushy but took no for our answer and we were never bothered again.
Our room was beautiful. The interior is nothing special, nice and spa like. The view, OMG! I imagine this is what Hawaii is like only cheaper and closer… We had a high room, ocean front… Yep, there’s no going back from here. I will have the same room again. It was perfect. Private balcony, beautiful ocean… I wish I was there now…
The Best Day Travel person that we booked our excursions through via Expedia, Ms. Carmen, was amazing. We accidentally missed a trip (we had the wrong time – my fault) and she rebooked us right away. The Aqua Tour “Catamaran/snorkel and dolphin swim” were fantastic! I cannot say enough about how perfect our trip was.... On Isla Mujeres, bring sunscreen. The white sand reflects that sun something fierce! My shins are still peeling…. Loved the drinks on the beach watching the passenger ferries come in.
If you are looking to relax, this is your place. If you are looking to party, you might want to go somewhere else. I get up early and go to bed relatively early so this was the place for me. I don't do well at sitting still. I never have. I get bored sitting at a pool for too long, but here, the whole place is so darn relaxing, I never wanted to leave my chair. We sat on the beach at the most perfect spot. Freddie, our bar man, was all over it. Our glasses were never dry. I read reviews of watered down drinks and that was not the case. They were perfect.
The outdoor restaurant hidden in the trees (sorry, I cannot recall the name) was beautiful. The steaks were amazing. I felt like we were in a lost world. Other people I talked to either didn't know the place was there or thought it was a private function. (It was clearly mentioned in our check-in briefing but I can see how it was overlooked. The foyer is so lovely and the view so amazing, I kept looking away so it’s easy to tune out the desk people. We got there around 6 and were seated right away. After 6:30, it would fill up pretty fast as it's a small place.
The MB restaurant was also good. The AC was on high so I was pretty cold but I would be cold on the sun so go figure... The food seemed to be more seafood oriented but I found an awesome steak and the dessert with the passion fruit... Oh, I dream of it.... We got there after the Tulum/Xel-Ha trip so we were pretty late. Our service was a bit slow but the place was full. It was a totally rational service time. I was so relaxed by then I just enjoyed my company and the view.
Room service was insane! Who has Filet Mignon on their room service menu?! Live Aqua, that's who. It was to die for... I had that 2 times.
Siete, the breakfast/dinner place was good. We never did dinner there but the breakfast was awesome. Fresh fruit and veg. Baked goods, ethnic and continental foods galore. If you did not see it, ask and you shall receive!
Oh, the best part for me, the Coffee Bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AMAZING. No extra charge made this perfect. I probably had 5 lattes a day, non-fat, full fat. You name it, they’ll make it.
We used the gym once. I planned to go more but was so relaxed, I could not be bothered to go again… Stair Masters, cross trainers, treadmills, bikes, free weights and cabled weights. Some weird but Bad [--] Pilates contraptions… And a very nice trainer to help you if you needed it. Not sure what was in the water cooler with the green liquid but I imagine it was healthy green tea. There were water bottles around so no one could possibly dehydrate or get Montezuma’s revenge.
There was a dinner event on the beach with a fire show on Saturday night. It was good. The weather was windy so we did not eat on the beach. I imagine there were some sandy entrees that night but it’s the beach… There’s always wind.
One day a nice man arrived with some beautiful Macaw birds. He let them fly free and they did not fly away so I guess they are happy. They were very beautiful. We took lots of pictures and I even got to hold one.
There are daily volley ball games for those so inclined. Other than, it was all about relaxing….. I don’t know why anyone would go anywhere else. The ocean was a bit too cool for me but everyone else had fun. A boogie board would have been perfect. Nice waves. Probably not good for surfing but you could definitely boogie board them.
The beach was extremely well groomed. Every morning, I watched the nice folks rake away the kelp. They carved the hotel name in the sand… It was just beautiful.
The clubs are accessible by a $1 bus ride if you want to party. They bus was very safe. There is a fancy mall across the street from the hotel. I found a nice sporting goods store to but biodegradable sunscreen for Xel-Ha. Decent price.
My advice, if you plan to leave the hotel, bring lots of small bills. No one can break a US $20. All change will be in pesos. Most people will try to help you and nothing outside of the hotel is free. There are lots of timeshare swindlers out there. We were only approached at the airport but we were warned a lot. Just use your head and you can have an amazing time!

1 Thank iluv2hash
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

I could write chapters on the food, the beauty, the relaxation, the awesome infinity pools that go on for ever, the swing bar, the soothing smells throughout the resort, but I want to relate to you the experience and interactions with the staff of this wonderful facility. But before I do, let me say that the Tuna tartar is to be enjoyed at either Azur or MB's, each doing it in their own fashion. As is the Cappuccino soup, either straight as a Tomato soup, or in the Pescadore fashion (seafood). You cannot go wrong with the food. Enjoy the room service breakfast - SPA Breakfast: egg whites with spinach & mushrooms. Daily lunch at Azur - AWESOME. Choose the menu items, although the buffet is good, but tell the server what you like and let them go to town for you. Now for the staff:
Ernesto - Azur: looked after us every day with a beachfront table where he chose what we were going to eat based solely on an ineraction of what our tastes were. I like Red wine and meats and my wife loves Chardonnay (Reine del Chardonnay) with any fish. we both loved the ceviche (shrimp & sea bass) so he changed it up every day for us. On the day he wasn't serving, he introduced us to Roman, who was his equal in offering us a rizotto base, topped with filet mignon and a generous portion of sea bass, and 4 BBQ shrimp dancing on top - SPECTACULAR. His manner, his genuine nature was greatly appreciated by ourselves, and I hope he understand our sincere gratitude for making our 30th anniversary trip a most wonderful success.
Jose - my beach buddy who served us diligently at our cabana. Although he asked me to simply raise my hand if I needed anything; I never had to. He brought regular mojitos (as well as pinja-mojito, watermelon-mojito, or lemon/mango-mojito) accompanied with Don Julio aniejo, and then the wonderful Myriam Especial (Chardonnay with a drop of Blue Caracao for Carribean colour). He never let us run dry and even ensured the bucket of water was always with fresh ice, He had a wonderful smile and disposition and loved to talk Tequila which was right up my alley. This guy was a treasure, That is not to minimize any of my other Amigos: Roger, Francisco, Julio and Freddy all of whom I could write the same accolades, except that Jose seemed to be at our daily area (Bed 10).
Alex - looked after setting up our cabana every day and booked the foot massage. When we were late from returning from lunch with Ernesto, he and Jose always looked after rebooking our massage. After the second day, Alex noticed I used an extra set of pillows for my back rest so he automatically made the bed with a stronger backrest (doubled), He looked after us every day with an eye to pleasing us, or so it felt. I never did get to express my gratitude on the last day but he is a treasure (even if his nametag read Carlos).
Fernando - the pool 'Manager'. He was simply around and made us feel like verifiable VIPs. he dropped by for a conversation every day, He is a handsome, likeable 26 year old sensation. He should be in Hollywood. He has a relaxed way about him that puts the guests at ease. He was the epitome of "Your Wish - My Wish". Upon our check-out he met my wife at the lobby, escorted her to the check-out in the most expeditious manner and was there when I came down for our 1:15 p/u. He knew our departure time and came to thank us for our visit and wished us well on our return journey. This guy is PR to the MAX.
Ricardo - our Barista who knew I liked strong coffee so made the caps a double before I even asked. When we walked by he was ready to deliver. He was an experienced "coffee guy" - a true Barrista! As I always enjoyed a Cognac, I didn't need the shot of Kahlua but it was always nice to know that he knew the order. Want to talk coffee - talk to Ricardo!
Ybette, Adrianna, & Claudia were our regular masseuses and they were each wonderful, even if we weren't always on time. Adrianna was stronger, Ybetta's stroke and Claudia's sense of concentration were each appreciated in equal parts. We also enjoyed Ricardo on the the last day and would say more if we could have experienced more time with each of them, but a week goes fast.
Josue - Barman at the swingbar makes the BEST mojitos. He made a variety of them, altering the fruit, and the type of rum. let him take you through a tour of tastes. Learning the correct vernacular of his name took some doing but I know he is a master. Angel also served us well, especially when it came to the Aniejo Tequilas. Gotta love a guy who wants to show you the best of Mexico.
Abraham - Siete restaurant. We set him up as our future son-in-law. A 21yr old dream kid who served us one morning and was such a wonder that we returned for dinner knowning he was serving that night. What an awesome guy who connected with that special feeling we were looking for.
Nancy - our hostess on many an occassion was a also a person who made our holiday special. After the 2nd or 3rd day she recognized us and would greet us by name - The feeling that the old Cheers show created "Where Everybody Knows Your Name" was certainly appreciated as we walked up to the hostess desk at Siete in the morning and Azur for lunch, as well as MB's at dinner.
Valeria was our special check-in lady who made our eventual experience a wonderfuil one with the room she selected for us - 9001. Along with Claudia who explained the facility to us, we knew these ladies were looking out for us. Now I know that they are responsible for everybody who they check-in, but the difference is how they made us feel upon check-in. It was as if we were making their day by being a guest there.
I apologize for leaving out anyone else that looked after us, such as those who looked after our rooms, but let me say that they did a superb job of providing the scents requested, the drinks we liked, the bed turned down so inviting - Thank you.
One of the things most looked over during a stay is the other guests who share your time at the resort, so let me say that we LOVED the contacts we made during our stay:
The Honeymooners from Iowa - good luck on your future, kids!
Nebraska & his wife - sharing a room on the 9th floor was a coincidence, one that was appreciated after you left (early). A good American who shared a similar career in the logistics field. Stay safe!
Boston - a delightful couple who we were lucky enough to share an evening with on the balcony of the 5th floor and who took a great picture of the two of us at Azur! Thanks guys and do visit NYC at some point.
New York - a great family from the city we love. Always great to share our love for your city as we connecting around the pools. Hope your stay was as awesome as ours.
Vegas - my Armenian buddy who was orignally from LAX, but made it in Vegas. Thaks for sharing your table at Azur and for making us feel as though we weren't intruding. I hope your visit to the timeshare went well!
Philly - Lee & Marilyn who were enjoying Lee's special birthday and took the time to recognize me as the 'Cigar man' and not in a negative way. I'm sorry we weren't able to connect one night for dinner but we loved closing out the beach each night. Marilyn - as we indicated you are Farah Fawcett and we commend you on your dedication to maintaining your physical self. Listening to you and all you have had to overcome was inspirational - you and Lee were often a topic of conversation for us.
This resort is not for the "Girls gone WIld" type, but offers a tremendous feeling of relaxation in an environment that is one of the most beautiful on earth. Allow yourself to lay back and feel the healing of the sun, the soothing massages, the rythm of the waves, the serenity of the being, and the calming scents of the aroma therapy. Let yourself experience everything that this place has to offer and you will be rewarded with an experiance of a lifetime.
Thank you Live Aqua , its employees and other guests. Unitl next time.

Room Tip: Suite 9001 - a super suite with a grand terrace with ocean and lagoon views as well as of Boulevard...
14 Thank TequilaPiet
Lynbrook, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

Truly service second to none. We spent our days on the beach and we never waited more than a few minutes for someone to come by and ask us if we needed anything. We were totally impressed by the bucket of ice with water bottles that we were provided with every morning. Although the hotel is rather large, we never waited to be seated for dinner.

Room Tip: We booked a king sized bed but didn't get it. :(
4 Thank sweetli712
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

Quality of facility, service, and food exceeded our expectations. I chose this hotel because it was an adult only all-inclusive vacation. We arrived at the hotel at about 4:30 pm on a Sunday. Decided to upgrade to an ocean view room because the garden view room was too close to the AC units for our taste. Settled into a beautiful room and decided to get ready for dinner. Took a tour of the 4 restaurants menus before selecting MB. Our waiter that night was Webster who turned out to be the best waiter we had for our 4 night stay.

The next day, we went to the pool area (7 pools) including an infinity pool and hot tub. The pool area like the hotel was immaculate. I commented to my lady how clean the beach was. One night, I saw a beach cleaning machine traveling down the beach.

We ate at each of the restaurants except Azur for dinner. Liked MB for atmosphere. Liked Siete on Tuesday night for the menu choices and different flavors. Returned to Siete on Wednesday to try more of that great food but found that it was Mexican buffet night.

Really enjoyed Azur near the beach for lunch for 3 days. Although a menu is available, we chose the buffet each day.

Light aroma therapy is generated in the lobby and available in your room. Although my lady is sensitive to smells, she liked it and tried different scents in our room.

The food choices were great with many healthy selections, which my lady and I prefer. I've traveled to many places and dine out often. This experience matched the very best. I will return.

Room Tip: All the ocean view rooms are great. Garden view on the North side is acceptable if on an upper floo...
11 Thank LiveLifewithJOY