“Live Aqua 12/31-1/7”

Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Ranked #4 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We booked a one week stay through Fun Jet, overall it was smooth traveling!

New Years Eve check in: We arrived with a huge group and were brought immediately down into "level C" for a mass check in. Once I was able to work through that line, I had a chance to let them know that we were not a part of that group. They immediately brought us up to the Lobby and we received a nice personal check in. I was hoping to upgrade to the Aqua Level which they said was normally $75 per night. Unfortunately, the rooms were sold out so they offered me use of the Aqua Lounge and to keep my same Ocean view room for an additional $50 per night. We passed on that option. While checking in, there are several people waiting behind you to tell you about special offers, the hotel and of course time share offerings. I told Daniel at check in that I was not interested in the time share presentation and was on my way! We arrived around noon, had a couple hours to burn before our room was ready so we headed to Azur for lunch and a few cocktails. What a great 1st impression!!! Right on the beautiful beach with a nice menu to choose from.

Room: Our room was ready early, we were well pleased with the ocean view room.
After a little nap we headed back to Azur for dinner then to the beach for their New Years Eve celebration. It was a great time.

Pools: The rest of the week at the hotel was spent around the beautiful infinity pool taking in the day and a few cocktails. The pool servers were excellent and friendly!! Drinks were great and always made the way we requested. Prior reviews mentioned the pools were heated... We're from Chicago, so not too picky about 'warm' pools... These pools were cooold! All week! And the hot tub wasn't warm enough either. Instead of swimming we took advantage of the complimentary chair massages each day poolside. Nice touch!

Beach: We didn't spend any time lounging on the beach this time. It was a little too windy/wavy for us. We took in the view from the swing bar, fun place to hang!

Spa: We got to the spa an hour early and did the complimentary hydrotherapy session with spa service. it was sooo worth it! We both got the recommended fusion massage, it was great!

Food: It was hard to find something we didn't enjoy. We LOVED not having to battle a buffet 3 meals a day for a week. Each restaurant offered something a little different each night, so if you're undecided... do some menu hopping! If you like seafood, this hotel will NOT disappoint!

Trips: We took a day trip to @Isla Mujeres and @Aktun Chen. Both great days!

Overall we really enjoyed the hotel. In a perfect location: 30 minutes from the airport, $2 round trip bus ride almost anywhere, 45 minute walk to town, beautiful beach, shopping across the street. Service was great, from the bartenders to the spa staff, the waiters, to the nice guy that made my 2:00 double shot latte.

We would definitely consider this hotel again!

Room Tip: I was originally disappointed with our "1st floor" room, 1041 at check in. Once we saw the...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank raclark17
Write a ReviewReviews (9,706)

Reviewed January 7, 2012

Recently (12/21-12/28) had a one week stay at Live Aqua where we had booked a great deal with Hotels.com. Traveling for the holidays with my family, we enjoyed luxury, comfort, and excellent service in an all adult setting. At first I was hesitant to book this stay because the hotel is all inclusive, but I truly felt that I was relaxing, eating, and drinking in a special atmosphere. We booked 2 Aqua suites which included access to the club floor, cabanas and 20 minute foot massages daily. The service to customer ratio was 3 to 1 and you could feel it in the attentiveness and friendliness of the staff. We never encountered any impolite or even distracted staff members. The spa was also very good. I often stay in hotels such as the Ritz Carlton or better. This hotel was an excellent value and equal in hospitality. Many (all) of the staff went out of their way to make us feel like valued guests. Staff members at the pool/beach include Alejandro who managed to secure our cabanas and massages each day, and Gerardo, and Filipe who gave us excellent wait staff service. Fernando the pool/beach/bar manager was always on hand to check in on the status of our comfort with a friendly hello. Seriously, these folks do their job extremely well!

Room Tip: Stayed in Aqua Suite which was spacious and pleasant.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank Susan_NewYorkUsa
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I felt pretty confident booking this hotel from all my research. I used American Airlines travel agency to book both the hotel and flights (with transfers)-- no problems what so ever! We've stayed all all-inclusives before and this was by far the best experience we've had, from the delicious food to gracious service. We stayed from December 25 through December 29. I wasn't sure exactly what expect, and was extremely pleased from the moment we arrived! Check in was a breeze -- the staff is excellent. Our room was lovely -- complete with bathrobes and slippers. We had an "Ocean View" room and I really wished we had an "Ocean Front" one. But we could see both the gulf and the lagoon from our room (and a giant empty dirt lot). The layout of the room makes it a bit awkward to get into the bathroom at times (if you are trying to fit two people in the bathroom) but everything was spotless and lovely. The beach is breathtakingly beautiful.

There are only three restaurants on the property, but they are all tasty. My favorite was Azur -- located right on the water. You can order off the menu (try the tuna tartare, sea bass, ceviche) or try something from a mini buffet filled with different creative dishes everyday. Avoid the cabernet sauvignon and stick with merlot (actually tastes like cabernet sauvignon) and the sauvignon blanc. MB is great for dinner -- and the staff is second to none. The pool area offers tacos and other treats all day long. Alfredo was amazing.

Room service is great, too. Fast, efficient, delicious! We always tipped the room service guy. They have a button on the phone that says "Your Wish, My Wish" -- and it's 100% correct! Our every need was met nearly immediately.

The Spa has typical spa services at typical resort spa prices. However, the facility is anything BUT typical. Again, the staff is outstanding. My massage was wonderful, and I loved the atmosphere -- heat room, sauna, hot pool, cold pool. I recommend getting ANY service there so you can dilly-dally at the facility.

A four or five day stay here is perfect. It's a quiet, relaxing and peaceful. The aroma therapy does start to wear on you (as does the spa music piped throughout the hotel). My major complaint is that they didn't a pamphlet outlining all services, restaurants, hours things are open, bars, etc. I didn't really get it all down until the day we were leaving! The only reason I didn't give this five stars is because I feel it's really a four star hotel -- not five -- so if you are expecting a five star hotel facility, adjust your expectations. The staff IS FIVE STAR!

NOTE: Avoid the 1/2 day snorkeling only trip. It was horrible. Go for a horseback ride on the beach -- at the Bonanza Ranch. The have horses for riders of all levels (even advanced riders). Their staff is also wonderful, helpful, safe. The horses are happy, clean and trustworthy. Beautiful ranch, wonderful ride! Get a massage after!!

Room Tip: Splurge on an ocean front room if you can. Otherwise, the ocean view still offers a lovely perspecti...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank got_merlot
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Check-In : The fellow that checked us in was polite enough and did offer us a cold drink but there was NO hand massage; NO explanations of the property grounds or restaurants; and just told us to head up to our pre-assigned room in 20 minutes which the luggage will follow,

Room: We paid the extra $40 or so and booked the oceanfront with terrace room and was assigned 6002. Upon entering the room, there was a "disinfectant/cleanser" smell ...it was not one of the 5 aromatherapy scents! when we opened the drapes, there were 2 lounge chaises and several overgrown shrubs right in your face blocking the view of the ocean.
i called down to "Your Wish....Our Wish" line and within 10 minutes, 2 fellows from Maintenance came and cut down these overgrown bushes so we can now actually see the blue ocean. Bravo to the quick service and recognizing that these shrubs were way too huge.

The room itself is long and narrow with a flat screen tv with many English speaking channels but everyday we would find a few ANTS crawling around our night table. We do not leave any sweet drinks or food around so i know these ants aren't caused by us.

The beds are very comfortable and they have plenty of foam and feather pillows with a nice heavy duvet which gets pretty warm in the middle of the night. from about 3 to 5am, the air conditioning automatically turns off we think because it becomes a little warm and after 5, it kicks back on by itself again.

i like how this hotel offers little conveniences like: 2 pairs of new flip flops; a very pretty blue plastic shopping tote to use during your stay; a fairly large safe that fit our mac laptop; aromatherapy scents and a little mini fridge with beers, sodas, waters, oreos, granola bar, and chips. they replenish it every day.

Now the washroom...on first look it is nice and modern looking with a separate walk in shower but on closer inspection, you can see that the shower grout on the floor and in the corners have all turned darkish brown/black and the silicone around the drain stopper in the bathtub is the same.
the amenities like shampoo and soap that they use is of inferior quality -- Somma brand?...luckily we brought our own to use.

Service : i have to give a 5 star to its service with the exception of FRONT DESK which was very unhelpful and not too welcoming.
The maintenance department trimmed our shrubs on the balcony which blocked the ocean view within 10 minutes....what more can you ask for!!...absolute great service !

Room Service was quick..20 mins and we got our order at 5:50am....we mentioned that we needed the sandwiches wrapped up because we want to eat them on the ferry as we had to leave the hotel at 6:15am for Cozumel. They put our sandwiches into individual ziplock bags along with tobasco and ketchup as well. they even gave us extra zip lock bags in case we needed other things to put in. Great service once again! we also ordered decaf coffee and it was nice and hot in a tall carafe.

MB Restaurant: we had 2 dinners at this highly touted restaurant to see for ourselves and imho, i think sometimes the food looks way better than it really taste.
first night we had:
new york steak...the meat was quite tasty and was perfectly cooked!
tuna tartare...we had 2 of these because it was so good...it was like eating tuna sashimi at a japanese restaurant but with a chiil pepper kick to it.
mushroom parpadelle...alright but the mushroom sauce color looked like a plate of dog dropping, crispy fried veal sweetbreads....it was indeed crispy on the inside but they neglected to remove the membrane of these glands so when you bite into them, they became chewy somewhat like a rubber band.
salmon with carrot risotto was divine...the salmon was cooked to perfection and not overcooked and the risotto was very creamy.
for dessert we had the mango and lemon sorbet which could have been better. we also tried their cocoa + cocoa which was a stick of cinnamon chocolate ganache like with sea salt and walnuts. i took a few bites and at one point the walnuts were not fresh and ruined the taste of this dessert.

again, our server, Mario, was very attentive but not in your face. he would be in the wings of the table and whenever you finished something, he was there to clear away and pour.

2nd day for dinner...Christmas Eve Dinner...we arrived at the MB restaurant at 8:15pm and was told there would be an HOUR wait. in addition to their regular menu items, they also had a 3 course christmas meal.....crispy duck confit with apple puree , a choice of 3 entrees so we chose the beef tenderloin with crabmeat and bearnaise, and a bread pudding with vanilla ice cream.

we mixed and matched our dinner with regular menu items and christmas specials:
crispy duck confit....alright but not that tssty...needed more salt.
beef tenderloin with crab bearnaise...very TOUGH piece of meat lacking any beef taste. it was a disappointment.
turkey confit with creamy potatoes...quite tasty.
bread pudding....it was divine!

before beginning the meal, they would start you off with an amuse bouche and i did not care for either night's...first night was a luke warm pineapple soup and last night was a cold almond type of soup....very different and like i said, looked better than it tasted.

the 2 nights spent at MB, we were appalled at how many guests DID NOT even leave a tip! just because it's an all inclusive doesn't mean we can't leave a tip because they get paid so little for their hard work! even on christmas eve, people would eat and leave and not a tip at all! we always like to leave a tip no matter if it is all inclusive or not because that is why they survive on. if we can pay several hundred a night for accomodation what is $5 or $10 for tips!!!!

Azure Restaurant: perhaps it was our meal but the food was AWFUL with the exception of the seafood bisque. we had the chicken mozzarella ravioli and the brown sauce was made with Knorr beef bouillon! i had the roasted duck and it was from frozen duck that had a freezer taste to it from being in the freezer for a long time. the honey sauce was so overpowering that the dish was a disaster. i also had the seafood risotto which was dry, not creamy and it tasted like it came out of a package.
The food overall at Azure was a disaster for us but we are glad we tried it so we can compare it to MB.
Service once again was top notch at Azure.

Pools and its Service: food was quite good at the pool and very efficient. the swim up bar was the warmest in water temperature but again there were so many ants at the counter. i mentioned it to the bar tender but he said it is because of all the sweet drinks which i can understand but shouldn't they try to disinfect at night ? it just did not look too sanitary to me.

in summary, the hotel looks wonderfully new and modern but with closer inspection, it is not a 5 star imho because it is a large and impersonal property. i have to say the service was very prompt and efficient and i would have given it a 5 star rating if it had not been the ants in room 6002 and the dirty grimy grout in the shower.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank cliu
Reviewed January 6, 2012

One of the best hotels I have ever been. You are a master here, they will do anything you want, bow to you, even carry you around if you want it. I have only two minor complaints: room service was excellent at first but during our stay they startes to forget to refill stuff in our room and we had to keep asking for; second is about the restaurants: excellent food, but either be there before 7pm or get ready for some waiting.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Just a little note......I have not yet taken our vacation, but we will be going to the Live Aqua on Feb 2 - 9th.......I just wanted to Post though......I had some questions, so I wrote......Manuel Sanchez

Guest service manager

I am sooo happy to tell you I got a Response in a very short time !!! So far so good !!! I cant wait to get there....I will Post on trip advisor, our experience there !!! Stay tuned...........
Debbi

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank debbarry5158
Reviewed January 5, 2012

My husband and I went for our one year anniversary trip. Our overall experience was excellent! The hotel, while on the smaller side, was beautiful inside and out. Our room was gorgeous. We had a problem with construction noise and the front desk was quick to put us in an even better room away from the noise. The food was excellent, and that is saying something because we haven't been too impressed with all-inclusive food quality. There was nothing offered as far as entertainment, however, you're in Cancun! :)

Room Tip: As always, the view is much nicer when you get a full ocean front view.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple