“Not ALL inclusive”

GreenLeadersGold level
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Not ALL inclusive”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Well so far we've had a great time here. The only incident was at dinner tonight. One of the specials was New York Strip with Lobster tail (on the menu). Well it's an additional $50 dollars. Once the steak comes "where's the lobster". I'm sorry sir we don't have lobster... But it's on the menu... It is? Well we don't have any. Still $50 more.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank nickntulsa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,604)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Minnesota
Reviewed December 18, 2011

We go to Mexico several times a year, and have stayed at some very nice all-inclusive resorts. I would not return to Live Aqua. The rooms are very nice, and most of the food was good, but "all-inclusive" is term they use loosely here. We were there with friends, and we were there to eat, drink and have a good time. If that's the kind of vacay you have in mind... read on.
There is only beer and soda in the room fridges, and when we asked for a bottle of vodka to take to our room we were told "No." So I asked one of the bars for a glass of vodka to take to my room, and he poured me a shot. So I then asked for 4 shots, and was given nothing but attitude. And we were people who tipped!! On another night we were with about 20 people in the hot tub after they'd stopped any wait-service, so we went to the only bar open and asked for shots for the group. We were again told "No", and were only given shots when I mentioned I use Tripadvisor a lot. And when you ask for a specific top-shelf brand, 90% of the time they'll pour the cheap crap right in front of you and then lie when you say you asked for something else. I have MANY stories like that - but I think you get the point.

Another issue is that we had $300 in Resort Credits to use ($600 total between our two rooms), and were only able to use $200 / room (on the spa and food upgrades). I guess $100 / room was specifically for room upgrades, but there weren't any room upgrades available. So we asked if we could use the $100 / room credit for a cabana rental or more spa services... and shockingly we were again told "No." So - there was $200 down the drain.

But maybe the Pièce de Résistance was our first night there... we were kicked out of the pool area and basically given a security escort to our rooms because there was some million dollar wedding happening on the beach. We still tried to have a good time while being imprisoned inside the hotel like 2nd class citizens, meanwhile this wedding dance went on until 6:00 in the morning. And I am not exaggerating when I say it was loud. Normally, I like loud music... but not at 4-6 in the morning!! I have already read several reviews of people who called the front desk to complain about the noise (including us) and each time we were told: "Sorry - but there's nothing we can do. They'll be done in a few minutes." I can't believe we weren't warned about that when we checked in, or offered any sort of compensation. It was a really long, bad night if you weren't a part of that wedding. And the kicker is I don't think many (if any) of the guests were even staying at Live Aqua.

A few positive things to mention:
Jesus is one of the best pool waiters we've ever had. Try to sit in his section.
The servers in the restaurants were generally good.
Room service was great.
Spa was very nice

A few other negative items:
The pools were really chilly
There's no discotheque ;( and no evening entertainment

We still had a great time because that's the kind of people we are, but it's not fun when you have to get your "be-otch" on several times during vacay.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view
7 Thank Amy M
Cranbrook, Canada
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Hotel was nice, but ask to see the room you are getting!!! Thought we would try it out and stayed a night - had been in Cancun for 7 days and to Playa del Carmen for 4 days prior to the stay. Decided to head back to Cancun for the last night so it was close to the airport.
They do have rooms with no sun, located over their main ventilation system, and a partial ocean view. Can upgrade for a fee which one of our party did (booked 2 rooms).
Must admit it was the worst rooms of the entire trip. The all inclusive was limited from other hotels that we have stayed at. Food quality and service was good. There are better adult only all inclusives in Cancun.

Room Tip: See what you are getting for your money and be prepared to pay more!
6 Thank Darsal01
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed December 17, 2011

My girlfriend and I (25,25) spent 5 wonderful days at Live Aqua. We stayed from 5th to 10th Oct. It’s an adults only hotel, so if you are looking to have some parties over there, this is not the best place. By 10pm it’s all dead. But if you are looking to relax by the pool the whole day and enjoying the view of the sea, simple, just go for Live Aqua. Free wifi! Let me tell you about our experience:

Booking: I was in doubt with Live Aqua and Le Blanc before going to Cancun. But, when I saw the discount of 50% off on Aqua´s website on the best room available, I knew that I was going to make a good decision. I booked the Sol Presidential Suite. If you have the chance, book it too! I think next time we would like to try Le Blanc to compare. But Live Aqua is really an amazing hotel for a relaxing vacation.

Check-in: When we stepped into the hotel, we really felt the spirit of Live Aqua with a water sound and a strong smell of eucalyptus, which you get tired of the smell in a few days (maybe hours lol). The check-in wasn’t that fast for us, I think it took about 25 minutes. It took longer than normal because the nice lady said that in my reservation had not a discount. So she had to check with the manager with the email I showed her with the whole conversation with someone from the hotel before going there. Not a problem to my girlfriend, during this time she had hand massage! Beside this small problem the staff at the reception is very kind.

Room: As I said, we booked one of the best rooms available in Cancun, I suppose! Too big for a couple, but we enjoyed so much. It has 2 bedrooms, one Jacuzzi just behind the bed, one huge living room, one big terrace with another Jacuzzi, great view of the sea and also of the back of the hotel, the lake side, 3 tvs, bose system, etc. Just perfect. No words to describe it.

Food: My only concern to book this hotel was about the food. I read many and many reviews saying that the food isn’t that good, but I thought with myself “ok if the food is not what we expected, at least we got a perfect deal for the room”. For us Azur was, by far, the best restaurant. We had lunch there everyday (ask a beef tenderloin) and one day for dinner (different menu). We had dinner one time at MB and Siete but it was just fine. Breakfast at Siete everyday was good. They have lots of options bread, fruits, cakes, omelet but nothing more than a normal international breakfast in a nice hotel. We had the chance to go the Aqua Club, but we didn’t like the food, was too spicy, but was a great place to relax a have a drink at the end of the day.

Pool/Beach: It is just amazing. We spent most of the time there, just relaxing. As we went in a low season, we could get the best place to set our stuff and relax. You can choose if you want to stay near the pool or you can make a reservation (we didn’t need to) for a “cabaña”. They will prepare to you a perfect place to relax the rest of your day. The staff is very nice by the pool. If you need anything, find Federico. Go for a Tequila Sunrise, best drink ever! The beach is nice too but you don’t want to leave the pool area lol. Sea water is not cold, easy to get in and the sand is soft. As you see, everything perfect.

Last considerations: If you have doubt of going in October, I would say that it’s the best season ever! Even if you look the forecast which will probably say that is going to rain a lot but during ours 5 days, it rained a little bit in the morning of the first and second day. Besides that we had unbelievable sunny days! Perfect time!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gdietze
Sherman Oaks
Reviewed December 16, 2011

We had a terrific time at this all adult all inclusive hotel. The food was excellent. All you could eat, both buffet and menu. We would recomment it for a romantic get away.

Room Tip: Floor 2 and up for ocean views. Also you don't want rooms that don't have ocean view as they...
6 Thank Bronow
Reviewed December 16, 2011

The hotel is beautiful and we enjoyed the "spa like" atmosphere. The music was relaxing but not intrusive. In some areas we really enjoyed the aromatherapy but in some areas the aroma therapy was much too strong. The entire place was impeccably clean and well maintained. The staff were so kind and friendly and very well trained. The food was some of the best food we have ever had from the buffet to ordering from the menu to room service. All were excellent. One important tip is to ask the waiters for their suggestions. They did not recommend a few of the items and we were always pleased with their recommendations. The drinks were great and didn't seem watered down. The water in the main pool area seemed a little too cold but the pools were immaculate. The pool bar was a fun place to hang out and the water was warmer.

1 Thank PickyTraveler692
Reviewed December 16, 2011

We travel a lot, and must say we felt there is great value at Live Aqua. The food was excellent overall...room service was the best around. MB was exquisite, and the breakfast buffet was superb. We felt the entire staff was professional and friendly throughout our stay. The pools and grounds were beautiful and well kept (some pools were a bit too cool, but no big deal). The drinks were fine, not very strong like any all inclusive, but if you want a stronger drink, just ask for a shot of liquor with it and add the shot...it's all inclusive you can get anything you want! For the review I read that said they don't have top shelf liquor...they are wrong. They had plenty of top shelf, including Jack Daniels, Crown Royal, , etc etc. The aroma therapy throughout the hotel was very pleasant, and not overwhelming.

The one bad...and it was really annoying for the few hours it happened...was the wedding that occured during our stay. They put up two tents on the beach that blocked the ocean view and some beach space, for a few days. This wasn't a big deal. The problem was that they allowed this wedding reception to go until 6am. It was so loud, that literally our room was vibrating. We stuffed cotton in our ears and put pillows over our head yet got no sleep. We complained at 3am, and they moved our room to the other side of the hotel which made absolutely no difference. The manager was extremely apologetic, but did say that the wedding party did pay for this time. What about everyone else who paid to stay there and relax? Did we not count? If it weren't for this one night, I would have given 5 stars. Anyway, I would return to this hotel because of how great everything else was, but I would absolutely call the hotel in advance of booking to make sure there is no wedding.

Room Tip: Even Garden View rooms have Ocean views...just not full on.
4 Thank Riz6