“Very relaxing......” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Shallotte, North Carolina
“Very relaxing......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

Just returned from a girls' trip at Live Aqua. We booked in Feb. through Bookit.com and our only major complaint was that we had emailed the manager several times requesting adjoining rooms or 2 rooms next to each other. We were told that there were no adjoining rooms but upon arrival had a door to an adjoining room....however our friends were about 4 or 5 rooms away...you would think that this one request could have been handled with such advance notice! Other than that, it was a very relaxing vacation. We all loved the aromatherapy especially the Aqua scent. We were on the 5ht floor and totally enjoyed access to the Lounge area...it was nice to get beverages and snacks and lounge with such a gorgeous view. The pools are spectacular but just too cold!! The pool bar was tucked away so never too busy and was warmer than the others. We had great service from Freddy...he also made sure that we had fresh towels, etc. throughout the day and always let us know when he went to lunch. There were long waits for dinner, esp. MB but he food was good. Wished that there was a buffet at dinner...thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast and lunch buffet at Siete. All in all would recommend to anyone wishing for a relaxing vacation!

3 Thank KarenC2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,540)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

Went there with 3 friends for girls trip..mostly couples there, but we had great time...Went thru bookit.com/Best Day Travel for transfers..no problems..bout 20min from airport..We booked 5th floor Aqua Room - was well worth it..Met at entrance by guy who ushered us towards elevators to 5th floor..we bypassed checkin at Lobby..As soon as we entered hotel..aromatherapy hit us - and immediately put us in a great frame of mind!...Check in on 5th floor quick, some hand massages otherwise we wanted to get to pools..one note: we email hotel months in advance to get two rooms near or next to each other, but when we arrived, we were given two rooms as far apart as you could get..initially dissapointing, but we got over it..The fith floor aqua rooms were well worth it..if you have to have your tea/coffee in morning..was nice not to have to chase that down..and also to get quick cocktail on way to room before getting ready for dinner...Rooms were great..beautiful view from balcony..bathroom was awesome...great shower..flat screen TV..channels in spanish except for two..You can rent DVD/popcorn..also iPod docking station in room...Beds pretty comfortable with tons of pillows..Aromatherapy infusers in room with availability of the small vials of scent from the desk in 5th floor lounge..Aqua was our favorite...avail for 16 US dollars in gift shop..Hotel is beautifully decorated in contemporary design/blue glass very pretty...smells are awesome...Spa area was smallish, but had nice features..we had such an aura of relaxation between the wonderful smells..and the pretty furnishings, contemporary decor...the pools were kind of cold...shame, as most were beautiful connecting infinity edge design...but head all the way over toward end of hotel and you will come upon the pool bar pool...which is heated to a very warm temperature...very nice...this is where we stayed..they have nice loungers and day beds...they play music here, not great but tolerable...Freddie is the best waiter...steps away from a beautiful soft white sand beach..we found some cool shells on our walks...there are some hotel parrots which are cool...they seem to be well taken care of..I'm an animal lover...they fly free during day and sleep in cage at night...towels in abundance, no towel card BS to worry about...Drinks are great...Mojitos are the best!...the house Sauvignon Blanc wine is decent too...Food...this is where they could improve on...is like a 2 1/2 hour ordeal for dinner...a hint...Siete which has the buffet breakfast has a buffet lunch up until 5PM that is great...otherwise we preferred Azul for dinner...Omar and Freddie by pool bar pool were wonderful...staff was exceptionally nice and friendly...I have never been to a hotel where the staff was so nice and seemed to like their jobs like here...If you want an upscale, relaxing and quiet hotel for a vacation...then this is the place for you...you will have an amazing time!!

5 Thank reddobie
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

I'm British, and maybe my standards are not as high as some of the American reviewers, but I thought this place was awesome! From the concierge welcoming us by name and saying "Welcome home" while lifting our dusty rucksacks from our backs when we arrived I was sold! Best things about this hotel:

1. Service. It really was impeccable, from all members of staff. I was impressed. This touches on the point below, but the place is very well staffed and as soon as your drink is finished someone slides into view and enquires whether you would like something else in a very gracious and cheerful way. It was an alcoholic's dream! Coming from Britain it felt odd to be waited on so much.
2. Generosity. We arrived at noon, 3 hours before check in, yet they gave us our wrist bands and so we could use all the facilities, eat and drink before we got in our room. Same when we left, we had an hour to kill before our taxi arrived, and again we were allowed to stay with wristbands so we could have lunch. That kind of gesture is really appreciated and so unlike some all inclusive places I have stayed where the check in/out times are the cut off for the all inclusive benefits.
3. Pools. So many beautiful infinity pools - all with different temperatures! Large swim up bar in one of the pools. Huge jacuzzi and really hot! A lap pool which you could actually swim laps in as no one seemed to get up til about 10am.
4. Location. Perched above the wide sandy beach, which is awesome too (we saw a baby turtle making its way out to sea) and on the other side a massive shopping centre. What more could you want?
5. Food/drink. All of a great standard. Cocktails made well with proper booze. Wine continually topped up. I found both the a la carte and buffets at all the restaurants really really good. I don't know why a reviewer complained of small portions in the MB. Perhaps they are small compared to American portions but they were not small compared to European standards. And if you're hungry - go to the buffet! Eat more lunch! And, come on, any place that has champagne (Moet) in ice buckets AT BREAKFAST and all the stuff for making a Bloody Mary AT BREAKFAST is awesome.
6. Ambience. Yes, the whale music and the spa smell was a bit OTT at times but I don't tend to hang out in the lobby anyway. The bars and the restaurants were very tastefully decorated, comfy sofas etc and the ambience was cool. It's only 4 years old and therefore the whole place was in really good condition.
7. Room - we booked the cheapest room which was on the ground floor and no view at all. But we didn't care - weren't in it much! Very comfortable beds, big bathroom, mini bar (included). Had everything we wanted.

A couple of things (but they're not really even niggles):
1. Expedia package we booked they had no details of - so we had to show the staff print outs of the booking to show that champagne and spa credit was included. Then it took another request for the champagne after it didn't show up.
2. We were told when we arrived at MB that there was a waiting list for the table. We didn't mind waiting for about 20 mins. The restaurant wasn't even half full - so I think that's a ploy to keep it "exclusive".

The place didn't seem anywhere near half full and it was lovely like that. I would go again in a heart beat. I felt like I was in paradise. Problem is, I think I would have to be running on the beach, doing laps in the pool and then sweating it out in the gym just so I could really enjoy the food and drink without doubling in size! Price for the package was about £175 for one night on Expedia. If you get tired of this place you're tired of life.

Room Tip: Ground floor garden view, really is just that. No ocean view.
5 Thank 770
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

I was in this hotel in Nov 2010 and came back in Nov 2011 again. The service was great both times. Me and my friends had the best time. The drinks were top quality for an all inclusive hotel. The food was fantastic and the service was the best ever. The concierge Edgar is wonderful. Overall, the Aqua staff goes above and beyond to make guests feel welcome. We are planning to go again soon.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank angiebx1
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

I can’t say enough about this hotel. My husband and I traveled 11.9.11-11.14.11 everything was perfect the room, food, beverages (if you want stronger ask for more)… I planned on relaxing and that is exactly what I did…Went to breakfast, laid at the pool beds, waited on hand and foot all day long. Ate Lunch every day at the pool bed did I mention everything brought to you, visited the swim up bar, went back to the pool bed, then got ready for dinner and again the hotel never disappointed. The portions are small, but ok with me I wanted to come on vacation, but didn’t want to gain 20 pounds so if you want bigger portions just order 2 dinners. The Room service is great… the coffee is the best. The coffee shop has great espresso. The rooms and the view are wonderful. We only had an ocean view room, but you spend so little time in the room not sure if I would upgrade. If you want an upgrade would recommend booking before you get there they had no upgrades when we arrived. The staff goes out of their way to make you 1000% happy. We will be back for sure.

Room Tip: if you want an upgrade book before you go
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

My husband & I were so looking forward to this trip after all the hype and reviews. We were looking to get some quality time together because we have triplets and its hard to do get that time. Upon arrival, the first step into the hotel after being greeted we were overcome with a strong smell of mint covered up by the smell of a urinal. Not pleasant but I overcame it and after waiting in a line finally got to the front dest for check in. They greeted us with fresh delicious tea and a washcloth (very nice) but it all ended there. We were told our room would not be ready (no worries here) but if we wanted to upgrade to a better view because ours was obstructed and loud it would be 50 a night (not cool) We already paid enough in my eyes to get a decent room. The second we left the desk we were approached by a woman who was dressed as all the other staff members trying to get us to attend a timeshare event. This was part of the disappointment. There were other woman coworkers just standing around with some towels and hand cream none which approached my husband and I for a hand massage we get the timeshare lady. Ok all was forgiven because our baggage was taken care of by a very nice gentleman who took us to our room. When we were leaving the resort I was sitting in the lobby waiting for our taxi and the same ladies were standing around just starring holding their hand cream and towels and neither approached me. I was in the lobby for 30 min and in the last 20 min they approached another woman during her check in and gave her a hand massage. We never got one at all during our stay. We ended up going to the spa spent over 300 there and again I was ignored even there. I arrived 1 hour early to enjoy the hydrotherapy services they offered well after the sauna I was left in the whirlpool for 35 min without anyone coming over to me. Another woman was there and she was catered to very well, they rotated her to different stations so I ended up having to ask the staff to direct me somewhere else because my hands were scorched. Massage was nice, getting there was not.
Food was overall very good and my favorite was the breakfast buffet so many different choices to choose from. Some items on the menu were not as described veggie pizza with pesto comes back as veggie pizza with tomato sauce. Filet mignon is not really filet mignon and so forth. Mussels were ok but were frozen not fresh. Most fish dinner entrees were delicious. MB and Siete for dinner offer very small portions and you really have to wait forever to get your food . No dinner buffets. Lunch buffet was a hit or miss but its all good because you can order from the menu but again expect to wait. Major disappointment was when there was a convention going on and the awesome spread they put out on the beach for these people. Beautiful buffet on the beach that the guests could only watch and marvel :( Every vacation Ive been on even ones I've paid less for have catered these gala buffets for their guests but this hotel seemed to cater to conventions. MAJOR disappointment. There was not much entertainment at all and alot of the staff did not speak english well. It was difficult to communicate with them and so at times we were left with wrong orders and more waiting and such. I think this place ONLY caters to certain people, if you are that type great you will have an awesome vacation but if you are not this place may not be all that you hope for. I left feeling really diasappointed. It sucks but it happens but we will not return here again. Now on the positive note...Beautiful beach lots of waves, just gorgeous! View from Azur rest took our breath away when we arrived. The pools and outside facility design gorgeous! Sitting area and cabanas made our vacation relaxing. Thank God for this :) Inside was contemporary nice relaxing atmosphere. Rooms were comfortable, nice size shower and bath. A beautiful hotel that left me wanting just a bit more.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank stoja
Carlinville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

HI!!! I just returned from staying at Live Aqua from 11/04/11 - 11/11/11... (To those who were there during - sorry for being the loud group) I did not want to leave and enter reality again! To begin - Went with 7 other people... Once we arrived it was like heaven! Although something was in our bathroom so we were escorted to Ego's bar to wait for our room... (No I do not know wth was in the bathroom!!!) THEY GAVE US A SUITE!!!! Room # 8015... Very nice bed and bathroom the balcony was quite small but we had 2 of them so it was not crowded ha ha! The view was incredible! With the suite we got to go to the 5 th floor club room which was very nice but since we were with others who did not get to go we only snuck once or twice during the week there... We did not however get our foot massages at the pool every day like the ad's say - but that was no biggie really... I could have got them except the staff seemed really confused about that service (I would not want to rub peoples feet at the pool either!) The whole resort inside has that smell of spa - kind of a minty smell - I could have lived without that... The whole hotel was very nice & clean. The entrie staff is there to please you which was nice. The food at breakfast was good - just like any other breakfast really - But as a foodie I really did not care for dinner... MB was nice but the food was not GREAT! And the other resturant outside was yuck! Again remember your in Mexico and anywhere different than where your from tends to be a bit different, I survived! God knows I did not lose a pound lol!
All of us girls went to the spa one morning, we had our $ 100.00 resort credit - We picked the 50 min massages and they were 110.00 but they did not charge us the other 10.00 so we just added it to our tips... The massage - and the spa was very very nice and calming... They were a bit unorganized and really I am glad we just spent our credits and not paid out of pocket for it... The massage was just ok...
All of the bars are great. We mainly stuck with the bar by the pool and the outside resturant - The bar with swings wasn't ever open and the swim up bar was only opened 1 day we were there... It was fun tho... Top shelf booze but like other reviews I struggled getting a cold beer... Service was outstanding tho! They really do deserve major tips!
This place is really not meant for a group of people but if your looking for a romantic - relaxing place this is definatley it... I would like to return for our anniversary one year!
TIP!!!! In the ad's we read when booking the trip it mentioned that all calls to US Canada and Mexico are free... This is not the case BUT I printed off the ad and showed the front desk and they honored it... Thank goodness because that was my way of checking in at home! So please make sure to print all of the things you read in the ad's and take them along so you to can have them honored. I should have done this with the foot massages that were included with the suite's...
Hope you enjoy your stay at Live Aqua as much as we did! Any questions just ask!

Room Tip: Lower level rooms with terrace has very little view... Suites are awesome and all the rooms have a g...
2 Thank Kari0303