“Incredible-and we're picky!”

Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Ranked #4 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 14, 2011

This is hands down the best beach resort I've stayed in. I've been to Aventura Spa Palace and Royal Playa del Carmen. We also have stayed at the Four Seasons, various Kimpton hotels and some pretty amazing hotels elsewhere. This place exceeded our expectations.

Check in: instead of waiting at the desk, you are ushered to a sofa, given a cold fruit infused tea, a hand massage and a cold towel. You do wait about 10-15 minutes but its nice to relax and then they bring everything over to you and check you right in. Very easy. You do wear a clear wrist band. Par for the course.

A bellman meets you at the room with your bags and ours (Abraham) gave us a quick tour of our suite (we were on the first floor in an Aqua King Suite-magnificent). While he was showing us our huge ocean front terrace, one of the 3 Rainbow Macaws that live there landed on the ledge. It was surreal. Then we were left to ooooh and ahhh over the room. The whole hotel, including the room, feels like a spa. Its all white, simple, clean lines. Very Zen. Lots of glass walls that overlook the pool and ocean. There are diffusers with scented oil everywhere (including your room) that make it smell yummy.

Rooms: Our suite was so wonderful, save for the bed but I'll get to that. It was 2 large rooms connected with a mostly cut out wall, very open, both of which had east facing glass walls with sliding doors opening up to our terrace. It was bright and airy, lovely, modern decor, VERY clean and I'm a stickler. The living room had 2 comfy couches, a flat screen, an Ipod dock, the scented oils, a stereo system, one cup coffee maker, fridge with beer, water, soda, candy, etc. No liquor was in the rooms, that was extra.

The bedroom was beautiful and the bathroom equally lovely. Bedroom had another TV and was opened right up into the bathroom which had the typical (but nicer) large whirlpool bathtup, dual sinks, a large shower and separate toilet area. Good products, bathrobes, slippers, flipflops to take home and a beach bag to use for the week. The only bad thing was the bed was literally like a mountain range. I felt like the princess and the pea. I could NOT sleep in it and my boyfriend slept on the couch a few nights. Painful.

The terrace had both a table and 4 chairs and also 2 lounge chairs which we used every afternoon when they were in the shade to read and nap. It overlooked the whole pool area and the ocean and was simply breathtaking. We ate room service out there multiple times and it was wonderful.

Food: Breakfast was great, the usual buffet, custom omeletes, TONS of fresh fruit, breakfast meats, cereal, mexican foods, oatmeal, make your own mimosas, etc. Very good, nothing groundbreaking. Lunch you could eat at the beach restaurant or the pool or room service. All three were excellent. We ate fresh ceviche daily-it was heavenly! Sandwiches, salads (pear, brie & spinach or panzenella were my favorites), fresh fish, fajitas, soup, buffet if you want. Little dessert bites. Dinner you could go to the fancier of the restaurants-for example you could get suckling pig, goat, filet, etc. It was good but we preferred Siete the less fancy of the two which is very traditional Mexican entrees, it has a new, well known chef and also the beach restaurant, again, very good. We ate really healthy the whole time but you could gorge yourself. The service at all restaurants was VERY good!

I particularly loved the coffee bar where they remembered me and my order daily. They have both soy milk and lactose free milk which is rare even here! Yummy lattes and treats.

Pool: we had a cabana that came with our suite (its $80/day if you don't) and also came with a daily foot massage. Can't beat that! If you just go out before noon, you can reserve one and there were always open one. There were also always open chairs with umbrellas or in the sun. They all had terry cloth covers on them and there were plenty of towels available even if you wanted 4 or 5.

There are a bunch of pools all different temperatures, they were lovely and the beach was lovely also. Great poolside service, very attentive and friendly. We did tip always because we feel its the right thing to do but I don't think you have to.

Spa: Again, lovely and clean. I had a massage where they stretch you and massage you and my massuse Ricardo was amazing! My boyfriend had the same massage and didn't get the stretching part which was disappointing. I've had a lot of massages and this was right up there.

Bars: This place had good liquor and wine. One night we wanted a Sauvignon Blanc and they didn't happen to have one so the server went out of the restaurant and got us a bottle at the bar and brought it back. I was so impressed! The liquor had names you know and they even had Frog's Leap in their wine cellar but not included.

We didn't really go there to party so I can't comment on the late night atmosphere but it was pretty quiet at night (good for us) although there's a club of some sort that was pretty nice looking.

Issues: we did once have our shower stop draning but they came immediately and fixed it and one of our bathrooms smelled a little odd and again, they came and fixed it right away. And the bed. I literally was more tired when I came back from vacation than when I arrived.

I highly recommend this place. I would go back in a heartbeat and if you're a stickler for cleanliness, good service, good food and drinks and luxury. If you can splurge for a suite with the terrace, do it! We did hotels.com and combined our flight with the room and got a very significant discount that made the room affordable to us.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
11  Thank caresuzanne

Reviewed June 14, 2011

I'll not repeat the descriptions given by previous reviewers of this beautiful property other than to echo that the location, beach area, landscaping, and pools of Live Aqua are spectacular.

The service is a bit uneven, however. Upon check-in, while being treated to the hand massage, chilled hand towel, and tea, the young woman assisting me with the arrangements, offered me an upgrade to an ocean-front room for $75 per night; however, a couple seated opposite me were offered (by a different young woman) an upgrade for $40 per night. I enquired about this, the demeanor of the woman assisting me instantly stiffened, and I received a bit of a "spiel" answer. I wasn't about to let the effect of the breath-taking view, lovely lobby, and other pleasantries be diminished, so I let it go and opted for the upgrade without further discussion--although the incident made a negative initial imprint on my experience at Live Aqua.

Later, a gentlemen at the concierge desk urged me to endure one of those time-share presentations: "only 90 minutes of your precious time, and you get a two-hour massage at the best spa in Mexico at our sister property, the Grand Coral Beach hotel." I was very surprised and disappointed to be approached at Live Aqua to hear a sales presentation. I declined; but the next day, another gentleman at the concierge desk said that his colleague had told him that I was interested in the presentation, how brief it is, and how I simply must have a massage at the Grand Coral Beach. (I told him that I was surprised he wasn't recommending the spa at Live Aqua instead. "Oh. the Grand Coral Beach is much better." Please take note, Live Aqua management.) Okay, I went along with, so it's my fault. I actually was thinking that I might be interested in a time-share arrangement at Live Aqua. The presentation took 5.5 hours! I could not get these people to stop! The pitch was for discounted prices at properties owned by the Fiesta Americana hotel and resort brand (including Cancun's Live Aqua and Grand Coral Beach resorts) in conjunction with Hilton hotels around the world. I was asked (being pressured) to commit on the spot to $20,000 over a 40-year period to ensure my use of certain hotels. On paper, the deal seems favorable, however, the points system, fees, and so forth all sounded questionable--as one would expect of this type of thing. Being pretty sure of the answer, I asked if I could take the charts and diagrams with me to think about it. Absolutely not. So, I explained that I have favorite hotels in certain cities that are not part of the group and simply wouldn't commit to the program at that moment. No fewer than 5 persons sat down with me in succession to offer differing and convoluted special deals on this convoluted special deal. It was the sales pitch from hell. However, I did get to view part of the Grand Coral Beach hotel, which I found not as impressive and fresh as the Live Aqua. When it came time to retrieve my voucher for the two-hour massage at the Grand Coral Beach spa (which, by then, I could definitely put to use!), a too-busy-to-be-bothered young women handed me a voucher for a 30-minute massage at Live Aqua. Negotiations brought the massage to 90 minutes at Live Aqua. Two points: first, I am terribly disappointed that Live Aqua would push this sales presentation on its guests and misrepresent the "reward" for having endured it; this is very bad form, cheapens the Live Aqua experience, and negatively affected my holiday. Second, get a massage at Live Aqua from Rosario--she has a gift. Elisabeth gives a divine facial as well. The Live Aqua spa is outstanding.

For some people (myself included), the outdoor daily yoga (both Ashtanga and Hatha) and tai chi classes significantly enhance the Live Aqua experience. Beach volleyball is organized every afternoon and tennis classes are also offered daily. One can go for a long run/walk along the beach heading north from Live Aqua's beach; the sand is perfect, and the colors of the water are incredible.

The performance of the wait staff in all three restaurants and on the beach was flawless and attentive almost to a fault. The waiters' professionalism and (what appears to be) genuine joy in what they do more than compensates for food that can be a bit less than stellar, but still very, very good. The menus are imaginative, and presentation of the food is artful.

I liked the "zen-like" music that wafts throughout the building itself, however, I found the pseudo-jazz, whiny saxophone music in the pool areas irritating, especially as different strains of it overlap one another (there's different music for each pool area). But the pools themselves and beach area cannot be improved; they are impeccably well-kept and utterly beautiful. Fresh towels, drinks, and snacks are merely for the asking.

Minus the weird price-adjusting of rooms at check-in (with personnel attitude adjustment as well) and the distasteful dance of being coerced by hotel staff (the function of the concierge is to be helpful, not brow-beating) into a sales presentation, my experience at Live Aqua was positive and refreshing.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
9  Thank SeaMajor92
Reviewed June 14, 2011

The best AI I have ever had the priviledge to stay. I was there for a business meeting. The staff could not have been more accomodating. I stayed in a suite, it was fantastic. I'm not a big room service person, but having the ability to partake, without added cost encouraged me. It was great. Don't forget, the mini bar is included in the base charge. Go, you can't go wrong.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank mhgolf
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I came here recently for our honeymoon. My main reason for picking this place was the raves I had heard about the chef at MB, mainly that she was a James Beard award winner. The hotel did not disappoint!

We had a beautiful room on the top floor with a great view of the pool and the beach. On arrival, everyone was so nice and the check in system was unlike other hotels I had been at. Basically the check in clerks come to you while you lounge on the couches and get hand massages :) .

The room was amazing. The bathroom was amazing with a separate shower and bathtub. They provided very high quality bathsoaps, etc. The mini- bar was stocked with beer, soft drinks, milk, fruit juice as well as candy bars, and chips. Each night for turn down service the maid would come in and make up the room and always leave out some sort of zen thing on the nightstand like a zen garden or a relaxing chime. They also had aromatherapy you could order for the turndown service.

They only have three restaurants at Live Aqua in addition to 24 hour room service. The restaurants do buffet until dinner where all of them have a menu to choose from. Siete is the only option for breakfast besides room service. Everyday there would be a rotating menu of mexican foods, traditional american breakfast foods, pastries, etc and even weirdly enough sushi. There were also attendants who would make omelets to order or fry empanadas for you. The lunch at siete was a typical buffet as well with hot sandwiches or burgers made to order. Dinner at Siete was my favorite. The menu had interpretations of dishes from various regions of Mexico. The other indoor restaurant, MB was only open for dinner. Its less casual than siete (meaning you can't go to it in your bathing suit) but quite awesome. My husband had some amazing fried sweetbreads here. The last restaurant is Azur which is outdoor right next to the pool. We had some amazing octopus ceviche here. If you are lounging by the pool, the waiters will bring you food from azur. It comes out in cute bamboo steamer containers.

The hotel had about 2-3 bars. There was a bar on the Lobby level (I forgot its name) as well as one between MB and siete. Also, there was a swim up bar at the adult pool as well as a cabana bar next to the beach. Even though the beach is public, the waiters will come serve to you if you are a hotel guest and sitting in the hotels beachfront area.

The pool is pretty amazing too. Each pool was heated to a different temperature. Also, in the mornings there is an instructor who leads some sort of water yoga class. If you just lounge by the pool waiters will bring you various treats for no reason at all. One day they just set up a popcorn machine, another day everyone got chocolate mousse shots. We saw they also had a gelato cart but we didn't see them put it out.

Overall amazing place. The atmosphere was very relaxing. We didn't go to the spa but the hotel has a spa/resort feel to it. This place was great for couples or other people looking to relax but probably not what you are looking for if you want to party, dance or meet new people.

The hotel is across the street from a shopping/tourist center ( La Isla) right on the lagoonfront. We went here a few times because it had a decent souvenir shop (La Plaza outlet). Also, the people selling tours in the shopping center can actually get you a much better deal than online or other places. We were able to get a few tours for a significant discount here.

Some things to note, the elevators did not have air conditioning (but then I am from Texas where we air condition the hell out of anything). Also, the wifi, while free, is terribly slow. But, then again, I'm sure you aren't coming to Live Aqua to surf the internet!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank fallingleaf21
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My fiance & I just got back from a 6 night stay at this hotel. All in all we were very satisfied with the hotel, amenities and service. We were greeted and checked in all in a timely manner. We did receive our complimentary hand massage from Carolina, we did not experience any high pressure sales tactics as previous guests had posted, a simple "not interested" took care of that. We were given an upgrade to the 5th floor due to our original room facing some ongoing construction which was a nice surprise because it gave us access to the private club for 5th floor guests only. My only advice about the private lounge would be to eat the appetizers they have laying out with caution, they had been out all day and were very chewy and cold. I ended up throwing up for 3 hours straight and had severe stomach cramps my 1st night there after eating 2 nacho chips from the spread. The staff in the private lounge was very helpful in looking up drinks I wanted that they did not know how to make and also with giving us advice and directions to some non touristy spots in downtown Cancun. Also the smell throughout the hotel can be a little overwhelming so if you are sensitive to smells keep that in mind.

We booked this hotel because it was supposed to be an "adult only" hotel but we ran into 4 different families staying there with very young kids. It was only an issue when I went to Siete for breakfast and had to hear screaming, bratty kids throwing a tantrum. The front desk said they had made their reservations before the hotel went to "adult only".

Now for the restaurants, we only ate at Azur (loved it), Siete (hated it), and room service...MBs menu did not appeal to us so we never ate there. We loved Azurs and ate there almost every day, I highly recommend the snapper and the garlic mushrooms. We only tried Siete for breakfast and both times we were disappointed, the food was very bland and it was cold both times we went so we did not bother going back for lunch or dinner. Room service was always good and always prompt so I would recommend that for breakfast, they also have really good chips and guacamole. Ask for Rudy if you order room service, he is the bomb!

The one major thing I did not like about Live Aqua happened in the lounge " Egos". On our last night in town we went out and had dinner at a restaurant that was not in the hotel and after we got back from dinner we decided to stop in @ Egos and have a beer with a shot of tequila before we went back up to our room. We ordered a beer and shot of Patron each where we were informed that Patron was not included in the "all inclusive", we figured as much as said that was okay we will just pay for it. Then we had another bartender come up to us and tell us the same thing, that it was not included in the "all inclusive", again we said okay we still want a shot of Patron and we will just pay for it. After our beer and shot we asked for the bill and waited almost 25minutes for her to print it out and bring it to us, when we did it was for $174! We told her there must be some sort of mistake that we had only had two shots of Patron while she just nodded and said yes. Never in our wildest dreams did we think we would be charged that much for two shots! It was not even Anejo or Repasado it was silver! We asked to speak to a manager because we refused to pay that much for two shots, it was just ridiculous. He came out and again we were just told that Patron is very expensive in Mexico and that was the correct price. After a bunch of arguing and threats he finally said we did not have to pay for it. We were not trying to get out of paying our bill we just wanted a reasonable price and $147 for two shots of Patron is not reasonable. I believe that on top of telling a guest that it is not included in the " all inclusive " that they should also inform the guest of the price, it is just good business. So be warned that if you order anything not included in the all inclusive that you ask HOW MUCH before hand so that you do not have to go through what we went through. I was very upset that our last night was ending on that note and it took awhile for me to calm down and I am glad I did because my boyfriend had planned on proposing to me that night and he was worried that that event had ruined his plans....it did not, we are engaged!

2  Thank txartistgirl74
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Was very impressed with service, attention to detail and making our every need/wish come true. The hotel, amenities, pools are amazing. The staff are kind and friendly. Everyone is young and speaks English very well. Spa treatments are fabulous! Had a massage and chocolate body wrap. Big spa going on regular basis, so I was very pleased with the treatments and facilities. Exceptionally clean! Restaurants are gourmet. Would go back and stay there again! : )

3  Thank marinanyfedd
Reviewed June 13, 2011

First off I would like to say we have been to Cancun several times. We have stayed at family resorts when we had teenage children and we have stayed at Adults only resorts now that they are grown. Live Aqua is by far my favorite of all the resorts we have stayed at. I have stayed at the Royal Cancun and Royal Playa del Carmen, RIU Cancun and RIU Palace Las Americanas and Live Aqua beats them all.

I will say that the normal room at the Royal is much larger than the normal rooms at Live Aqua. In fact the normal Royal rooms are about the same size as the suite we ended up in at Live Aqua. (see more comments on this at the end of my long review. I like to be as through as possible.

Another thing to take into consideration is the resort had 23% occupancy when we arrived and increased some around Thursday. So things will likely be different when they are at a fuller occupancy rate.

CHECK IN-We checked in around 8:45 PM on June 4 and it was quick and seamless. When we walked in the place was serene and filled with aroma therapy (guessing eucalyptus). When we walked up to check in they asked for our last name and had us take a seat on the couch. They came to us and checked us in while we were sitting down and relaxed.

ROOM-Upon check in we were given a room on the sixth floor which was smaller than other rooms we have stayed in at other resorts but it was very clean and well appointed. I am going to get a little side tracked here but it will come back around to the rooms once you finish reading.

On Sunday morning we went down to breakfast at about 7:30 AM and upon walking into the restaurant, we were greeted with the sound of crying children. Yes, you heard that right, crying "children" meaning more than one family had children at the "adults only" hotel. I know they recently went All Inclusive and Adults only, however I was under the impression that as of June 1st children would not be allowed at all. Anyhow, my husband and I love children and have a 5 year old granddaughter that runs around our house all the time. While I love children, we picked an Adults only place for the calmness that comes without children around. After breakfast my husband went to the front desk and talked with a supervisor explaining that if we had known there would be children there we would have booked the Royal Cancun. He politely asked if it was possible to be moved to the Royal Cancun and that we were members of the Real Club but wanted to try something different. She apologized profusely and said they didn't have an agreement with the Royal. She offered to upgrade us to a suite and gave my husband two keys to look at two different rooms. When he came back she said she spoke with management and the children were leaving at 11 AM but they would pay to send us to the Royal. Based on the fact they were leaving my husband took one of the Suites and said we would stay.

We chose the Viente (spelling :-)) which was the smaller of the suites but more open which we liked better. The jacuzzi tub in the very large bathroom was fabulous. it also had double sinks and a large shower. The room had a small divider wall in the middle with a flat screen tv on each side of it. There was a couch, a table with two chairs and a chair with an ottoman. A bose IPOD dock, a DVD player for both TV's, bose speakers above the TV in the sitting area....very nice touches throughout. Told you it would come back to the rooms. LOL.

They also gave us a $200 spa credit due to the children issue. The children really didn't leave at 11 am that day but they did leave the following day. A side note on this is one of the three families that had children there was a complete nightmare which we found out from another couple we met that had the room next to them. Apparently the kids wake up at 6 am and run around the Presidential Suite screaming and yelling which woke them up. It was so bad that they finally knocked on their door at 7 am and asked them to please quiet their kids because they were trying to sleep.

All in all the hotel staff are to be commended for recognizing the children were an issue and doing what they could to make it right and to make the customers happy.

RESTAURANTS/FOOD-There is MB, Siete and Azur. For dinner we ate at MB twice, Siete twice, Azur once and went to Ruth's Chris (obviously off site). I don't eat fish or seafood and am a very picky eater. My husband loves it all. The menus at each are very small but what they do they do very well. They have one beef item on each menu which was fine for me. My husband loved MB the best and I agree. Being the picky eater i ordered food from the pool for lunch each day. They had a variety of nachos, rib eye tacos, kobe burger, french fries, etc. All were very good. I loved the rib eye nachos and tacos. The tortilla soup in Siete is excellent and the Strawberry watermelon salad in MB is to die for along with the Beef. Azur was okay for lunch, not my favorite, but we didn't care much for it at dinner time.

POOL/BEACH-The largest of the pools were much to warm, the other round pools were cooler but it seems to me that they could have them main one cooker and one of the round ones warmer. The pool service for the most part was excellent but did lack a few days. I had noticed the first day the waiters bypassed me several times to the point where i had to walk up to the bar myself to get water. It got better after a few days but it wasn't always consistent. The suites have use of the "reserved" cabanas around the pool and beach. If you are in one of those you get the best service other. I found that to be a little disheartening, because having a cabana doesn't make you any better than someone with the smallest room. I even tipped with the first order of my day for the entire day and that didn't always make it better. I didn't always want the cabana so I started off around the pool. The beach service needs some help. Again, they pick and choose who they will take better care of. I noticed when my husband was around the service was better than when he wasn't. Not sure what that was about. He wasn't always with me because he was diving and tries not to spend an excessive amount of time in the sun. The beach is large and expansive however, because of a riptide, they don't want you entering in front of where the chairs all set up, they want you to go right. Why would you set up chairs in front of the area of beach you don't want people entering? Makes no sense. Once very nice touch which i haven't seen before is they will bring ice buckets to you around the pool or cabana, filled with ice and bottled water. They come around and refill the ice and water throughout the day. Nice touch because your bottle of water gets warm so fast in the hot sun and humidity.

A little more on the cabana. If you are in a suite, just ask someone at the towel booth or someone else working around the pool to have it set up for you They place a nice towel sheet over it and place towels etc on there for you. Also each day it comes with a 20 minute foot massage that you can share with the person you are with or one person can do it. 10 minutes and 10 minutes or 20 minutes for one person. You can make arrangements for that when they set up your cabana. It was a very nice touch. Lady (that is her name) gave our massage each day and she was so sweet and nice. Always smiling. Only one of the days out of 7 that we had the cabana they brought me a tray with two bottles of water and two cold wet wash clothes that were scented with eucalyptus. Not sure why it was only one day but that is all it was.

SPA-My husband and I booked a deep tissue massage. They recommend coming in 30 to 45 minutes early prior to the appointment to take advantage of the steam room, sauna, cold tub and hot tub. They had me undress completely and put a robe on and took me to a steam room. This was a little strange to me, but they asked for my robe, which i gave them. They put you in the steam room. The weird thing was, there was two women sitting in the hot tub which was right in front of the door of the steam room they were sending me into. Mind you I don't have any clothes AT ALL on. They have everyone walking around in there nude (customers), i think swimsuits would be appropriate until massage time.

That being said the Spa is fabulous and worth every cent. The deep tissue massage was $110 and was $50. The deep tissue is not on the menu but just ask and they will give it to you.

To sum it up it was an excellent resort with excellent service. I would definitely love to stay there again. The food is better than the Royal. If i had to chose between the two, if Live Aqua was less I would stay there, but if the Royal was the same price or less I would stay there because the rooms are much larger and the food there is excellent as well. The food is better at Live Aqua but not enough better to warrant paying more.

Please feel free to message me with any questions or to ask about something I missed.

9  Thank wahlflower