“We loved Aqua - even after slight problem at check-in!”

Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Ranked #4 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Rochester MA
“We loved Aqua - even after slight problem at check-in!”
Reviewed April 12, 2011

This trip included 3 couples who had all booked aqua suites. We arrived around 2:00pm and did the complimentary hand massage and iced tea while waiting to find out about our rooms. Couple #1 were told their suite was ready but the other two would have to wait 20 minutes, and two hours before their suites would be available. No problem - we went to check out couple 1's aqua suite and thought the room was amazing - just gorgeous. We proceeded to Azur for lunch and took time to relax and take it all in. The resort is beautiful in every way. After a leisurely lunch went back to the front desk to see about the next room. Found out they were upgrading us to a Fuego suite on the 8th floor........that works. The room was lovely with not one but two terraces (one with a total oceanfront view and the other on the side where you had a perfect view of the sunset). Now time for the 3rd couple and no aqua suite available for them (overbooked). This was just not acceptable. In the course of the day they were sent to three different types of rooms - none of them would compare to an aqua suite. After many conversations with the manager, front desk, etc. it was agreed that they would take what was available for the night and they would have an aqua suite whenever one opened up. Luckily it all got resolved the next day and they got their aqua suite and all was right with the world. It's difficult to stay mad or annoyed when you are in such beautiful surroundings.
We travel a lot and have been to many caribbean destinations and this by far was my favorite. Haven't always been a fan of all-inclusives but this one has definitely changed my opinion. I wouldn't hesitate to go back and I still think about Aqua every day.
The food, the top shelf liquor, the service all 5 star in my book.
We ate twice and MB and twice at Azur - enjoyed both very much. We gave up our reservation one night for MB and decided to have a progressive dinner. Started out in our room (the Fuego suite) for cocktails and appetizers and saw the most beautiful sunset. Room service was great - we ordered bottles of vodka, rum, wine, chips & salsa & guacamole. They brought it up on a wheeled table all set up with nice glasses and everything we needed. From there we proceeded to the club level on the 5th floor for some lovely appetizers and shots of the best tequila!! We had lots of fun with Pablo and took some crazy pictures with him! We had done a tequila tasting the previous day and now knew which one was the best and even though I have never been one to do shots - it quickly became my drink of choice every night. We later found out that we had been drinking tequila that costs over $200 a bottle - no wonder it was so good....and no hangovers!!! Eventually we ended up in one of the aqua suites and ordered the best room service - filet mignons.........yummmm. I think this was my favorite night and favorite food.
Of course there was dessert involved - some had tiramisu and some creme brule - all equally good. We played games afterward and had a lot of laughs. Great memories.
We only ventured off on one day to go to Chichen Itza which we enjoyed very much - just tough to leave the beautiful beach for the day. Because we had the suites it included a cabana/ bed each day with a 20 minute foot massage. It doesn't get much better than that. The service on the beach was the best - most days we had Alan who did such a great job. He kept the drinks coming and lunch whenever we were ready for it.
Our package also included a credit for the spa so on our last full day there 5 out of 6 of us had some sort of massage or facial. It was pure heaven and we all felt fabulous after leaving. The spa is definitely worth trying - the whole facility is so lovely, from the sauna to the pools, hot tub and everyone who worked there so kind and respectful.
We also enjoyed seeing the beautiful parrots that live at the resort - they fly around the pool area during the day and are caged at night. They have the best of both worlds.
All in all one of my best vacations ever. If you book a suite be sure to take advantage of the 5th floor club lounge. We made it our nightly stop before going to dinner each night. Always great appetizers and drinks - very laid back - nice place to meet other people although it was pretty quiet on the nights we were there.
Also take advantage of the room service option. We did it every morning for breakfast and it was wonderful and the best way to start your day looking out at the beautiful aqua water. They would always tell us 35 minutes but it would be there in 20 minutes.
The best part was having friends to share it all with.......would recommend it to anyone who wants a relaxing vacation. The minute you walk into this resort you immediately feel relaxed and pampered. It was always interesting coming back to the room in the evenings. Always something different waiting by the bed - water fountain with soothing sounds, harmony chimes, zen garden and of course always the aromatherapy of your choice.
I have rambled on way too long but I just wanted to touch on all the wonderful things at this resort. Just wished we would have stayed longer than 7 night - went by way too fast.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank madu54

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,615)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
North Myrtle Beach
Reviewed April 11, 2011

My wife and I stayed here from March 28-April 03.
The check in was quick and simple, the people at the check in area were nice and friendly. The room was very clean and they actually would check the room later in the evening to change out the dirty towels for clean ones. The staff also keep the drinks and snacks full in your room.
The pool area is big and spreads from one end of the resort to the other, we mainly stayed at the sit down pool bar area. Alan was a waiter there and did an outstanding job, giving us great service every day there, either bringing us drinks or taking our lunch order.
The food was very good overall, the restaurant called MB was a bit of a disappointment, but the food at the other two restaurants was very good compared to other all inclusive hotels we have stayed at.
We also enjoyed the gym area and the spa, which we used frequently.
The only negative we have is one night someone or group had loud music from 11pm to about 4 am, so I called the front and spoke to the manager on duty and voiced my displeasure, he said he would send someone to check it out, I waited about 30 minutes and the music keep going, at this point I went to the night manger and told him to move us to a room where we could actually get some sleep. We were in in room 6001 and he let us sleep in a room on the lobby floor (level 3) that night. We were able to sleep, but having to get up at 2:00 am and moving to another room is something we should not have to do if action would have been taken on the loud music, hearing loud bass music was very annoying and a big negative for us, we like it quiet at this time in the morning.
Nonetheless, I would recommend this hotel, good location, food, and service.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Let me say at the outset that we were at Live Aqua in mid-March. I've read that they've addressed at least one of my chief complaints since then, but I can only base my review on what I experienced.

For our vacation, we wanted an adults only, all-inclusive resort in Cancun. Live Aqua seemed to fit that description perfectly. After all, the name of the hotel on Travelocity was Live Aqua Limitless All-inclusive Adults Only. Perfect, right? Not so fast.

We picked the least expensive room category available and booked our reservation. Later I found out, quite by accident, that the room we had booked was not, in fact, all-inclusive. At least we made this discovery prior to our arrival and were able to decide if we wanted to upgrade or not. Nevertheless, I felt mislead. It was not at all clear that some room categories were all-inclusive while others were not. To avoid this confusion in the future, Live Aqua needs to pick one or the other. Either it's all-inclusive or it's not.

In addition, we discovered upon arrival that the hotel wasn't, in fact, adults only either. Perhaps they had begun that transition by no longer accepting future reservations with children, but there were definitely kids at the resort while we were there, which is not what we were led to believe would be the case.

Perhaps by now the transition to all-inclusiveness and adults only is complete, but to market yourself as these things before it can be truly said will only lead to disappointment for your guests.

On the plus side, the check-in process was very swift. We arrived at noon. Someone attended to us right away, including the infamous hand massage. I was pleasantly surprised that our room was ready. We quickly unpacked our bags and made a beeline to the magnificent pool.

The pools are gorgeous! You could grab as many towels as you wanted. I found the drink service to be prompt, especially around the smaller pool with the swim-up bar. The pool atmosphere is definitely what makes this resort special. I loved having food delivered right to our chair. I had a nice buzz going and a full stomach when I headed back up to the room to get changed.

This is when we noticed that the actual temperature in the room (as displayed on the digital thermostat) was not even close to the desired temperature setting. Clearly, the air conditioning was not working. Buzz kill. Someone from the maintenance staff spent an hour trying to fix the problem, but was not successful. As it was getting late, we decided to give them one last opportunity to fix it in the morning and if that didn't work we would switch rooms. After breakfast the next day, a crew of three arrived and spent at least another hour tinkering with the AC. Due to a lack of privacy, I eventually had to go take a shower in the spa. The AC never did cool the room down to our desired setting, but they did manage to improve it enough so that we wouldn't have to go through the hassle of re-packing our things and move to a different room.

Other than this, the room was nice. The beds were comfortable. I liked the stocked mini-bar. The incense was a nice touch. However, the shower door didn't close all the way, allowing water to leak out all over the floor. We learned to place a larger towel on the floor prior to showering. Also, the marble floors in the hallway had a tendency to transmit sound. Perhaps carpeting and/or more sound insulated doors would help.

I emailed the hotel prior to our arrival to make dinner reservations at MB and Azur. To my amazement, I received a response within hours confirming our reservations. I was very impressed with the service at MB. Our waiter greeted us by name, and even recalled our name several days later when we returned (even though he wasn't our waiter on that occasion). The food at MB was excellent as well. Siete and Azur were good too. Of the two, I preferred Siete. Egos bar was perfect for a pre or post dinner cocktail. I preferred the hip atmosphere there to the more casual AKA bar. Overall, the meal and bar service were excellent. My only suggestion would be to get rid of the need to sign for each meal or bar tab. However, I believe that tedious process has already been replaced with wrist bands.

Outside of the pools, the bars and the restaurants; we made a daily trip to the nicely equipped gym. It embodied the spa-like feeling that you get throughout the hotel. There's definitely a zen vibe reinforced everywhere you look between the smell of eucalyptus and the sound of flowing water. This hotel could be very special if they simply addressed the reliability of their claims to be all-inclusive and adults only while focusing on imperatives such as the air conditioning working.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank TimATL
Steubenville, Ohio
Reviewed April 11, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 3-night stay at Live Aqua. We have stayed at a few other all-inclusives in Cancun, and this resort is our favorite so far. There were so many positives about this resort but all resorts have areas that need improvement...

One area needing improvement is Check-in: Our check-in went quickly (3 or 4 minutes, I think??) and our 5th floor Aqua Club room was available right away. However, we were not given any information at check-in, other than the fact that we had $200 resort credit to use for food, spa, or room upgrade. We were never told about access to the Aqua Club (luckily I do my research before we leave on our trip) and were not given a pamphlet that tells where everything is in the resort. We were just given our room keys, directions to the room and were sent on our way. My husband and I had to try and figure everything out ourselves, and finally got a resort booklet when we went to the information desk to ask where all the restaurants were. This is definitely an area that needs improvement. Also, the staff need nametags, because we have no idea who we talked to at check-in. Housekeeping was great-- we never had a problem getting anything cleaned or restocked in our room, whether it was coffee, water and snacks or fresh towels.

I know some people on here have complained about having to sign for meals, etc... we did not have to do that our entire trip, as they have switched to the bracelets. I don't mind wearing a bracelet... I'd rather have to do that than wonder if half the people in the restaurants or crowding the pool areas are from other resorts.

Like I said before, we had a 5th floor Aqua Club room and the room was beautiful and immaculate. The bed is THE MOST COMFORTABLE BED we've slept on while on a vacation. The bathroom was very clean with more than enough towels and amenities. The view from the balcony was gorgeous-- every room in the resort has an ocean view and balcony/terrace. The fridge in the room was well-stocked with various drinks and snacks. The only problem we had was a broken coffee maker, which was replaced quickly after we made a phone call to the front desk.

Food: Unfortunately we didn't get to try MB during our short stay, but we did have lunch and dinner at Azur, and lunch at Siete. The buffet selection at Azur was impressive with many different options. Each time we ate there, we had a little bit from the buffet and also ordered off the menu. My husband is a picky eater and never had a problem finding something to eat ( unlike other resorts where he's had to have burgers and fries because he couldn't find anything he liked!!) The Kobe cheeseburgers are fantastic, the Beef Tenderloin is delicious, and the fish selections are great too!! Our lunch at Siete was good too, with an extensive selection of beef,chicken, fish and pasta, though we preferred Azur. We ordered room service for breakfast around 8:30am every morning, and it arrived within 25 minutes at the most. We'd get the American breakfast, a fruit plate and hotcakes, and everything was delicious. The fresh pineapple and orange juice was awesome too!! :-) No complaits where the food is concerned!

My husband and I are both in our late 20's/early 30's and aren't big partiers... we didn't mind the fact that there isn't loud entertainment late at night. Aqua is for people who just want to relax....if you want to go out all you have to do is go down the street to one of the restaurants that are open late or the nightclubs. We went out a few evenings (did a late-night boat ride one night-- BEAUTIFUL!) but were content just to have a few drinks at the resort! We went down the hall to the Aqua Club quite a few times and had some mixed drinks (Pablo is the best!! He really made sure we had anything and everything we needed!!) Each time we went there, there were only a few other people in the room. This surprised me, because having access to the Aqua Club is definitely a plus!! My husband loved being able to walk right down the hall for snacks or his morning coffee/espresso! The snack selections were great--always fresh while we were there--- and we loved how they had various liquors (all tequilas at one point, vodkas and rums another) sitting out that you could "taste test." The view from the balcony facing the lagoon is amazing too!! It's a great spot to just kick back and enjoy the sunset and the scenic view! We enjoyed some tequila out there our last night in Cancun!

The beach: AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL AND ALSO IMMACULATE!! The water is crystal clear turquoise. Love the option of using palapas, beach beds or cabanas too! Drink service on the beach was a little slow, but the staff were always smiling and friendly.

Pool areas were very clean... the main/lap pool was like lukewarm bathwater. Great in the evening once the sun goes down!! We brought our own drinks from the room down to the pool, so I have no input where the pool food/drink service is concerned. One plus is that, unlike some other resorts in the Hotel Zone, the pool and beach areas are still in the sun until early evening, so you can enjoy the warm sun for a lot longer! (Another resort we stayed at was completely shaded by 3:30pm due to its location, and that was really a downside.)

All in all, this is a great resort and my husband and I had an amazing time while we were there. We would definitely go back again!!

1 Thank Hunt917
maryland
Reviewed April 11, 2011

This was a 6 apple square deal.
Room: Standard room, very nice. Stated garden view, but partial view of the ocean.
Beach: Loved the beach and water. Only problem no cover on the beach except up close to the resort and the sun was out every day and very hot. Which I am not complaining.
Food: I do not believe we had a bad meal.
The service by pool was amazing. Served lunch by the pool every day. The wait staff does an amazing job.
No entertainment at night which was alittle different, we were used to something going on at night.
Very relaxing vacation.

1 Thank fall_vacationer_7
IN
Reviewed April 10, 2011

We have stayed at many all-inclusive resorts in Cancun so I would say we are somewhat well versed in what to expect from the experience. This resort was nice but certainly not the best we have stayed at. We have two favorites that are wonderful and have us spoiled so this could cast a shadow on our opinion about Live Aqua. There are many pros as well as cons about this place. The food is average and service is exactly that, serve yourself. When we would go the pool first thing in the morning we would have to clean the pool deck and pool after everyone else left their trash from the day before. Maid service was spottty, sometimes you would get your room cleaned and fresh towels and turn down service at night but it was never consistent. The refrigerator in the room was a nice touch but we had to ask for restock and it would come sometime the next day. The halls were very loud so anyone walking down the hall or going in their room was very disturbing, especially at 2 or 3 AM. Also, at the pool the hottub and one of the pools had exposed wires and lights dangling out and when this was brought to their attention they were not too concerned. There are no activities or shows at night making the place very boring in the evenings. Not that we are party people but we do enjoy the shows that other resorts have in the evenings and the games by the pool during the day. Also signing a check everytime you ate was very annoying and if you left without signing it they would come running after you. The things we did enjoy were an abundance of towels at the pool, heated pools, popcorn and ice cream in the afternoon at the pool, beach bag and flip flops in the room to take to the beach, DVD player in the room, and we did not have to give a credit card # upon arrival. Check in was quick but we did not get a hand massage or any information on the resort so we had to acclimate ourselves to the surroundings. The MB restaurant was not worth the effort it took to get a reservation, we tried it twice and the food was not better the second time. A word of caution: do not call back to the US on their landline to a cell phone, you will be charged, it is landline to landline!! All in all we had a great time but would not return to this resort. We do love Cancun and will be going back time and time again to our two favorite resorts.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
liveaquaernesto, Sales Manager at Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
Dear Guest,

First of all we will like to thank you for selecting Live Aqua Cancun for your past vacations. We are very glad to hear that there was many positive aspects you enjoyed during your visit to the Hotel.

With great concern we have read about the inconveniences you encountered during your stay, please accept our sincere apologies regarding the inconsistency of our turn down service, we are unpleasantly surprised with your complaint about cleanliness on our pools area as it is the first time we have heard of this, however we have analyzed and discussed the situation about with the involved areas. This has been brought to the attention of our Managing Director, Mr. Eduardo Cruz del Rio & Food and Beverage Director and they are undoubtedly looking into this situation to prevent it from happening again. We thank you for providing us with the opportunity to improve our services through your comment.

Regarding the other “negative” aspects you mentioned, please let us clarify the following to all of our future guests:

1.In-room mini bar is to be replenished once a day however the following products are available daily for you to enjoy: 6 beers, 6 water bottles, 6 sodas, 2 juices and plenty of snacks; we consider this a fair variety and feel very sorry if it was not your perception.
2.Live Aqua Cancun has (as per April 1st) changed its check signing process to the use of bracelets to improve our guests experience.
3.Regarding day/night entertainment, we promote ourselves as a relaxing resort rather than the classic loud all inclusive with games by the pools and theater shows by night; our offer of exclusive activities such as Yoga, Thai Chi, cooking or massage lessons, golf clinics, etc. are what we want our guests to enjoy.
4.The complimentary phone calls to USA & Canada are effectively for land lines only, this is notified at check in and it is also part of every promotional we have on the web.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience at Live Aqua Cancun. We send you our best wishes and emphasize that our objective is to provide our guests with only the best.

Kind Regards,
Excelsior, Minnesota
Reviewed April 10, 2011

All Resorts have their good and bad.
The Good: Food, Drinks, Most Services, View, Location.
The Bad: Mold, Mildew and Sewer Gases in room and hallways.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple