“Feels like a genuine experience”
Review of Mercado 23

Ranked #49 of 147 things to do in Cancun
Malmo, Sweden
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Feels like a genuine experience”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

As a difference to the Mercado 28 this is what I would call a regular market. With all kinds of local food and other items.

Don't expect the sellers to have any knowledge of english, a bit of pointing and hand signs together with a smile took us a long way though.

Also beware that this is not part of the polished hotel zone, if neatly manicured grass and uniformed servers is your thing, this is probably not.

Visited December 2011
5 Thank Daniel B

• Korean first
Baltimore, Maryland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Authentic shopping experience.”
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Market 28 and Market 23 are very different experiences. Market 23 is geared more towards local residents, although they do have souvenir type items as well. We were looking for the pottery we saw at most of the smaller restaurants we went to and we found them there for dirt cheap. So cheap we didn't even bother trying to negotiate. I'd recommend Market 23 if you are looking for something authentic or original and don't want to be treated like a tourist. If you are looking for a "boardwalk atmosphere" of souvenirs and restaurants, go to Market 28.

Visited January 2012
7 Thank captivawine
Puerto Morelos
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“What a great way to see a real market”
Reviewed September 2, 2011

As the owner of The Little Mexican Cooking School I frequently visit Market 23 and am friendly with many of the vendors, great cheese from Oaxaca, handicrafts for my store, wonderful prices on fruit and vegetables and a great way to see what the local people eat. You can bargain with them in a friendly fun way but the prices are generally set, the clothing stores you have more leeway to bargain,I have been going there weekly for 2 years and never seen any crime, just a bunch of hardworking friendly people. If you want to experience a real Mexican market this is the real place, it is small but has a lot of variety. Oh and the food there are a variety of small clean friendly food stalls where you can catch a bite to eat for as little as 35 pesos, delicious and fresh, I have never been ill there only suffered from over consumption!

Visited August 2011
14 Thank catinmexico
Alexandria, VA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“VERY DANGEROUS”
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Stay the hell out of Market 23. We saw a dead body lying in a doorway to a home there and it was clear everyone was ignoring the issue. Terrible. We grabbed the first cab back to the hotel. I have traveled the world with the Navy and love to venture out into the local community. Cancun continues to become more risky. Hotel Zone is ok at best but not worth risking your life for junk souvuners that you will throw away as soon as you get home. Stay in hotel/beach and go home alive

18 Thank Avocatraveler
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Worth a trip”
Reviewed November 24, 2007

Definitely the place to go if you want to bargain for your souvenirs. We stayed at the Royal Cancun and there was a mall across the street. Most items at the mall already had price tags on them so it was harder to bargain, but at the market it was much easier without price tags. The merchants will definitely try to get you to check out their stuff, but after you've seen a couple booths you've seen them all. I knew what I wanted before I arrived so I was able to get in and out quickly without too much hassle. We didn't take the bus which is the cheapest way to get there. Some buses we saw were very crowded so we preferred to take a taxi. It cost us 14 pesos each way. We didnt feel like bargaining the price. I would also suggest going early. We were there late in the afternoon as the sun was setting and it looked like we were the only ones there.

5 Thank 80'sbaby