“The price was right.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Freezing in MN
“The price was right.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2009

I just returned from this hotel last night. I took my 19 yr old and two 11 yr olds to the Gran Caribe for a last minute 5 day getaway. I got a great deal on the trip, so I must admit that I was able to shrug off the things that bothered me about the hotel alot easier than if I had paid full price.

Check in - Took longer than I have experienced at other hotels. However, the room was ready right away, even though we had arrived early. After receiving the room keys and towel cards, a gentleman sat down with me and went over the property amenities. I was expecting this to be a head fake for a time share presentation, but he was actually very helpful in explaining the property, the resturants, the bus system and costs, ect. He briefly mentioned a presentation that I could attend to find out more, but just told me to grab him later if I was interested. Very professional.

Room - The room was not what I had ordered. We were supposed to have a family suite that opened up to the kids club. What we got was a family room at the furthest end of the property (no kidding) with a balcony that overlooked the parking garage (no kidding). However, on my way back to the desk to complain, I noticed that the kids club area was quite noisy and perhaps it was actually lucky to be so far away from the action. So, I kept the room and based on how noisy the pool areas could be in the evening, it was probably the right decision. The room itself was clean and moderately appointed. The fridge was well stocked daily with whatever we wrote down (also left a tip in the fridge). The housekeeper was very nice and did a great job, and both the morning housekeeping services and nightly turndown service were timely. Only bug we saw was a water bug that probably hitched a ride to the room in the kids beach bag.

Food/Drink - We ate at all the buffets and resturants on the property - even the little 24 hr stand by the game room. The buffet food was fine, nothing to write home about, but the kids really loved it. I was starting to get pretty bored with the buffet choices by the end of the trip, but I think the kids would have eaten there for a month! I will say that the service at all of the resturants was really outstanding. Fast, friendly, and they joked with the kids alot and made them "special drinks." My 19 yr old and I ate at both Maria's and Sunsets. We had no trouble making a reservation for the day and time we wanted at Maria's and the wait at Sunset's was short, plus they gave us a beeper. The food at Sunsets was decent, but not fabulous. The big downside to Sunsets was eating in the dark. The food at Maria's was much better. I will say that the wine was pretty awful - the white was almost undrinkable and the red only tolerable. The drink service at the pool was quite good, surprisingly so, and while some of the drinks were weak, others were not.

Pools/beach - The pools could have been cleaner and one day the "adults pool" was downright scummy. The pool area itself was kept quite clean and the staff did a good job of picking up the trash and the empty cups. The beach was decent considering that all the hotels suffer from the same erosion issues. It was disappointing that they didn't have umbrellas at either the pools or the beach, which made for a hot day that would wear on the kids after awhile. Also, the "towel game" was in full force for the beds surrounding the pools. However, if you didn't need to sit next to the pool, you would have no trouble finding a chair.

Shows/entertainment - The shows were fun for the kids to watch and well worth the time to see. Having the music in the evening up at the lobby bar was nice, and the "band" tried to accomodate the guests taste. The daytime entertainment was a little overbearing at times, but mostly seemed to be in good fun. They had folks walk around with different animals in the middle of the day (iguana, birds) and the staff would take pictures of you holding the animals, and then you could later purchase the photos from the hotel. The kids loved that and I did get some nice pictures - they really tried to pose the kids in ways that the pictures did turn out cute.

Spa - I had one massage at the spa. The price wasn't too bad (I've paid more in Mexico for a massage) and it was quite good. It was nice that you could choose to have the massage on the beach or in a spa room with no price difference.

Overall, I would classify the trip as decent. The main purpose of the trip was for the kids, and they had a great time. Would I stay here if I didn't have kids? Never. Would I bring my kids back. Absolutely. However, I would never bring them during "heavy spring break season." Traveling at the end of April, we only had one large spring break group to contend with, and they left on the 3rd morning we were there. Their behavior was appalling - and their parents/chaperones behavior was even worse. These kids were falling down drunk at 11:00 in the morning, loud, obnoxious, and foul mouthed. Of course, the hotel has no control over this, however, the bartenders seriously encouraged this behavior, which was disappointing.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Matias K, Director General at Gran Caribe Resort, responded to this review, July 27, 2015
Please know that we will take the matters you expressed in your feedback seriously into consideration for improvement, in order to be a lot more attentive towards your needs in order to accomplish them, and to make your stay as memorable and unique as it could possibly be.
I hope you allow us another opportunity to welcome you once again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,350)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2009

Having just returned from this resort and a no complaints 7 night all inclusive stay I'm wondering if I was in the same resort as some of the recent extremely negative reviewers. Yes, this resort is not perfect but none of the minor issues I encountered gave me even the slightest reason to dwell upon them as like life in general, a holiday is what you make of it.

I was staying with a friend and had requested two double beds when I made the reservation directly with the hotel months in advance and upon checking in was given room 2321, which isn't on the second floor as I'd expected but on the third floor of what the bellboy called builing two, hence the different room number assignment. It featured two large doubles that were almost queens on two different levels as there was a few small steps down from the level of the hallway, closet, bathroom and one bed to the lower bed and patio.

The large closet, which includes a programable digital mini-safe, was opposite the sink and vanity which were conveniently just outside the room with the toilet and a large tile shower, making it convenient for one guest to use the plumbing without preventing another from shaving or applying make up.

The showerhead sprung a leak at the top and shot a jet of water arching high above my head and right toward the towels which are kept on a head high shelf within the shower stall itself, which normally isn't a problem given the size of the stall. But there again, I simply moved the towels out of the stall to the small shelf just outside and still within reach once you exited the shower stall. Maybe some folks would rant about poor fixtures but not me as I couldn't be bothered devoting that much attention to a relatively small thing while on holiday.

The room itself had both a ceiling fan and AC which turned out to be good as the AC system seemed to have only two speeds, on and off and when it was on it was loud. Maybe others this would've seemed a great annoyance but again I went with it and miraculously survived with an efficient ceiling fan that was both cool & quiet.

Room 2321 does offer a decent oceanview as do most rooms in this resort and we were directly above the small wedding chapel on the quiet side of the resort away from the main pool which is very active from around 9 a.m. to dusk. A hammock was a nice feature on what was a large balcony approx. 10 feet deep and 15 feet wide and there were two hooks secured into the wall so set-up was effortless. There something about swinging in a hammock while in the tropics that never ceases to fully relax me.

The TV offered a good selection of choices including some premium channels like HBO & Cinemax but no regular U.S. networks save CNN. There were lots of choice for Spanish-language programming, luckily much of it football (soccer). Really wasn't in Cancun to watch TV so just turned it on to catch a few headlines before going to sleep.

The room was quite satisfactory to me and my friend and we encountered none of the problems others here have mentioned getting the kind of room we wanted.

As with probably all other guests, we also encountered the timeshare "Guest Services" staff but found a polite 'no' worked the first time around and weren't bothered again after that. In fact, it was during this little 3 minute talk that the staffer told us a fact they hadn't mentioned at check-in, which was our black all inclusive resort wristbands allowed us access to the 6th floor Royal Lounge. I had wondered why others had a neon green colour wristband but thought it had to do with something else so never asked why the difference so it was a nice surprise and allowed us to send a few emails for free rather than pay for internet access. The other perks of the lounge, like free snacks, pop or drinks, really weren't as appealing as the 20 minutes of free use of the two PC's which were usually free or only a few minutes wait.

The staff helps make this resort as enjoyable as it is as they seem very genuine right from the bellboys to the waitstaff to the beach bar bartenders, almost always smiling and interacting with all guests. Small things I noticed like bringing toys and occupying a young child throwing a mild tantrum in the middle of a busy buffet restaurant, Gaviotas, relaxed not only the parents but the other guests around them as well and it's that
kind of willingness to please that's hard to teach and 14 years in customer service makes me appreciate them probably more than others might. There also wasn't the expectation of a tip I noticed at other resorts and if one was given they politely thanked the guest. Fast efficient service from hard-working pleasant people was what I noticed during my stay.

The food isn't cuisine but compared with other all inclusive resorts I'd stayed at over the years was in the middle of the pack. We ate most breakfasts in Gaviotas as we appreciated the open air setting just off the pool deck area. The pool side snack bar offered up a decent fare including a grilled hot dog with french fries and somewhat oddly enough the half dozen tables offered some of the only shade around the pool deck, a good thing as the service was a little slow at times. The other main buffet restaurant, Albatros, is directly above Gaviotas and while higher with a better ocean view is not open-air and seemed a little more upscale compared to the more casual beach wear and flip flops allowed at Gaviotas. We made reservations halfway through our stay for a meal on our last night at the a la carte restaurant, Maria's, and had wonderful grilled steak dishes in what is a more dressy Mexican restaurant. I'd overheard getting reservations couldn't be done same day but since we'd reserved days ahead had no troubles getting in. The Lobby Bar was busy almost every night with very good live bands that ranged from inoffensive if bland vintage 70's lounge acts to more local Mexican and Cuban acts complete with a small horn section. We did catch one show in the main theatre, which was an excellent dance troupe that spaced things up with some colourful numbers and colourful costumes. Nothing home grown either where the activities staff doubles as the dancers as this troupe was put together from around the Caribbean. Lastly the Tradewinds beach bar was a favorite hang out, literally, as I very much enjoyed swingin on the swings and running my feet in the sand while siping a Tequila.

The Tradewinds is in a shady spot formed by the concrete overhang of the pool deck and so offers a retreat from the hot sun which I very much appreciated throughout the stay. Some mentioned they found it drab but I liked having a double day bed in the shade and then moving out on & off for some sun in the lounge chairs a few feet away. It was generally fairly quiet save for the one day of Euro disco pounding from the Jägermeister specialty beachfront bar right next to the Gran Caribe Real. I never found out what the purpose of this specialty bar was and never went in nor did many other guests it seemed. Being semi-late risers my friend and I never made it down to the beach until 9 or 10 a.m. but had no problems finding both two loungers and one double day bed in this overhang shady spot.

I should mention if you upgrade to some room categories you get the benefit of a deluxe double lounge bed directly off the beach with nice white linen privacy shades you can open or close. Each of these has room numbers attached to them so there's no mistaking whose is whose.

The pool isn't large and seemed largely over run with the teen scene most days and the pool games and drinking contests really aren't my speed anymore so tended to avoid the pool in favor of the beach. Word of caution though is that there are some sharp rocks so invest in a pair of water socks, something I wished I had done as it would've made getting into and out of the watch MUCH easier without having to worry if I cut my toes. The beach itself has grown to a good size thanks to the fairly recent addition of the two stone breakwater barriers that take the force of the very large waves and shelter the beach as much as possible. These breakwaters also roughly doubled the size of the beach directly in front of the resort so it has one of the larger sections of sand along this part of the resort area of Cancun.

We checked out the gym and it was equipped with most of the modern fitness facility necessities such as two or three treadmills, stairclimber and freeweights. We also checked out the spa features but in the end skipped both gym and spa so can't comment further on either.

One feature that did make me take notice was how accessible this resort was compared to others in Mexico I'd stayed at recently. Where there were even a few stairs there was a little ramp and that included one right down to the beach, though it was on the steep side. During my week I saw one or two guests in a wheelchair and so would applaud the resort for making the property so user friendly so those with mobility issues.

The Best Day tour company does have a desk right next to Guest Services and arranged a Pirate Boat evening cruise that was some fun and others tours can be booked here as well. We decided another day to go on our own on the municipal bus to the centre of Cancun where the intercity bus runs to Playa Del Carmen frequently. Both the local bus and the roundtrip to Playa Del Carmen cost approx. USD$8 per person so is a tremendous value and is easily done as an inexpensive and independent alternative to the pre-packaged and escorted day tours.

A 15 minute walk away is the nighlife portion of Cancun with local spots like Carlos & Charlies and Senor Frogs together with Hard Rock Cafe options. We walked down one night later afternoon and walked back after dusk and felt quite safe, though would imagine a taxi could probably make the jaunt faster and more secure for not a lot of money.

After a long winter this Spring warm weather getaway proved very enjoyable and I had fun and relaxed while at the Grand Caribe Real, which is the whole point of a holiday, right? Sure you can probably find fault with enough here to occupy you for a while but nothing I encountered ranked as a major concern so I generally let the small stuff go as unimportant in the big scheme of things as they are unlikely to impact my holiday plans. To each their own I guess but I came away from my stay pleasantly surprised at how my time in Cancun turned out.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank tcook052
Thank you very much for writing us in regards to your recent stay at Gran Caribe Cancun
We truly appreciate when a guests takes their time to share with us their “Gran” experience!
Once again, thank you and we hope to see you again very soon!
ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2009

We just got back and every thing was great....I dont know were the last reviews stayed, but it didnt sound like the Gran Caribe. The beach is one of the best on the strip of
hotels. Most are all rockey and cant swim at. Food was fine enough choices for all.
Kids area is great for small children, water slides fun for all ages. Staff was kind and
always smiling. Rooms large, family suites have kng bed and bunk bed for 3.
We did have a bad view on the first day and next day we changed rooms.
The stay was great and would go again.
oh yeah I did see a bug on the floor....you are in Mexico in a hotel that is open to the
outside...were do you expect the bugs to go???? It was very clean....
Your vacation is what you make of it enjoy and stop complaining....

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank for taking part of your valuable time to share with us your experience,
We are very happy to know that you had a fabulous vacation with us
Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon!
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2009

My friend and I stayed here for 4 nights from April 14th to 18th. We had a great time with hot sunny days (32 to 34 degrees!) and came back feeling relaxed and recharged. But overall we left with mixed feelings about the hotel and when we filled in the comments card at the end of our stay both ticked no when asked if we would return.

Check In: We had booked the cheapest room and had no problem at check in. He gave us a room with two double beds as requested and the whole process only took about 20 minutes. We were told the room wouldn't be available until 3pm (it was 12:30pm) and when we went back it was ready as it was said it would be. While we were waiting we grabbed our bathing suits and hit the beach for a couple of hours.

Guest Services: Our bags were taken by a porter when we first entered the lobby and placed by Guest Services while we checked in. When we headed over to grab our sunscreen and bathing suits, we were approached by Guest Services who asked us to sit down and listen to some information about the hotel. We declined (as I had read on here that GS was a front for timeshare) and said we just wanted to go straight to the beach. He persisted a few times as we fiddled with our bags, and when we (politely) said no got quite belligerent and said "I just want to give you information about the hotel, if you don't want it, I don't care." then asked what room we were in. We didn't have a room number yet, so he asked for our last names. This was not our last run in with GS. We were asked later by another rep if we would come talk with her, but when we said we had already spoken with someone she just smiled and moved on. Our room was then called later that night to say we had to pick up our info package and discount card by 8pm, then the next morning a note was slid under our door saying to come get the package. Finally they called the day before we left and when I said we were leaving the next day and had no interest in whatever they had to offer, they finally stopped calling. I have no idea why they were quite so pushy as my friend and I are both single females in our late 20s with no interest or financial means to buy into a timeshare. It was a slight annoyance, and just seemed a little overly in our face when we had been clear on the fact that we weren't interested. I can't believe a true Guest Services would be quite so pushy about giving you information about the hotel and whatever the discount card is. Trust me, the place is small enough that you can figure it all out for yourself pretty quickly and if you can't, just ask one of the staff members or your vacation rep and they'll help you out.

Staff: The staff were helpful and so hard working. Everywhere we turned there were people beautifying the hotel and you never had to look far to get a waiter or bartender. The hotel is incredibly clean no matter where you turn. Our Air Canada Vacations rep was also available at good times and very helpful for the few questions we had.

Room: Our room was comfortable with a "garden view" balcony that was a pretty weak excuse for a garden (mostly overlooked doors to lagoon view rooms). But the best part was when we opened our front door we had a view right onto the ocean, so we almost felt like we were ocean front. We were in room 2771 which is in the low rise section of the hotel near The Royal. We had no noise problems at all and slept really well, but did have one alarming incident at 3 am one morning when some young guys climbed on our balcony and banged on the glass doors. They had the wrong room (they were looking for the room next door) but it did startle us and make us feel a little less secure that it was so easy to get onto the balcony. We actually struggled to get them to believe that they had the wrong room until we called security, it was all very exciting. if slightly unnerving.

Beach: The beach was great and the best part of the hotel for us, they have done a good job rebuilding it. We always sat in chairs on the beach and never had any problem getting chairs after breakfast. The ocean was red and yellow flags on the days we were there, and while it was rough, it was really fun to play in. There is a lifeguard on patrol during the day and he does a good job making sure noone gets into trouble. There is about a one foot row of rocks you have to get over to get into the water but then it's all sand. My only complaint about the beach is that while there are beach beds available with shade, they are all reserved and attached to certain rooms. You can usually use one without a problem but if the rightful owners come along you will have to move, and the only other source of shade is under a concrete area behind the beach bar that I found kind of depressing. It's super hot and even with lots of sunscreen we still got a little burned anywhere we missed, so we would head to our room for a little bit during the real heat of the day.

Pool: The pool is happening and popular. I think you need to get there pretty early to get chairs. It was a little too noisy for us, we preferred the beach, but people seemed to be having fun. We did enjoy watching the activities going on while having lunch at the snack bar. While we were there there were tons of groups of teenagers on senior trips I think who mostly took over the pool (and some other areas of the hotel). They were well behaved for the most part, there was just a whole lot of them and in fact the numbers seemed to grow over the days we were there.

Food: The food on the whole was bland and pretty tasteless. We struggled to find anything we liked (or could even stomach) to eat, and in fact by our last night and day were pretty much not eating anything. Breakfast was the best meal, lunch by the pool was ok but the dinner buffets bloated us up and made us feel sick. I don't really know how to describe it, while there was certainly a good variety of food, the quality just was not there. The best part of the food was the fresh fruit. This is in fact the main reason why we would not return as even thinking about the food now makes my stomach turn a little. I'm thankful we were only there for 4 nights, we would have had to go off resort if we had been there any longer.

Drinks: The drinks were fine, pretty watered down but that's ok when you're sitting in the hot sun. As mentioned on other reviews the vodka is disgusting, I would stick to rum based drinks. The Dirty Monkey was our favourite, it's a cocoa banana thing that's pretty tasty. The strawberry daquiri was artificial tasting, I would not recommend it.

Anyway, if I were to go again I would listen to the reviews and bring more snack items with me (or get off the resort right away and stock up.) I thought we'd be fine as we were only there for 4 nights, but in the end we were living off Ritz crackers we bought from the hotel gift shop. And just to give context, I have travelled all over Asia, South America and the Caribbean - I'm not afraid of foreign food. Unfortunately what is being offered at the Gran Caribe could not be classified as Mexican food but is instead just of a sufficiently poor quality to prevent me from wholeheartedly recommending the place or ever returning myself.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are continually evaluating our services to best fit the needs of our guests and your feedback is very valuable. See you soon.
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2009

Since my English is the secind language, I will write in short sentences but all are true.

We stayed at Gran Caribe Real from Apr. 10, 2009 to Apr. 17, 2009.

1. Do not bother to use this online check in thing.
I checked in through their "On-line check in system". This never work. You only give out your credit card information.
Anyway, I optioned for a family suite w/ king size bed when I checked in through their online system but when we arrived the hotel, we were given a suite w/ ONE double size bed.
I asked front desk to change our room. The front desk guy, Luise, told me that we will be move to a suite w/ king size two days later since the hotel is fully booked.

2. Be aware of LIARS at front desk.
So I went back to front desk for room change. Room 2129 to Room 2150. The guy told me AGAIN and assured me that the other family suite has king size bed. In fact, I confirmed about the suite I wanted change to with front desk more than three time since we arrived the hotel. Ha Ha Ha it has exactly same sized bed and facing hotel lobby bar in which they have live music playing every evening until 11pm. This time my wife went back to front desk to complain and bell boy also told the front desk the other room has the same only one small bed. The guy I talked to the other day walked away with no explaination or apology but the other guy who is half boldheaded laughed at my wife's complaint. And the guy said "if you want a King size, pay more and upgrade" They do have family suite w/ king size but they just lied and lied to us and now they want me to pay more for upgrade. DO NOT TRUST ANYBODY AT FRONT DESK.
Whenever I went to front desk, there were 50% people who were checking in & 50% people who were complaining about their suites.

3. Stay away from timeshare sales person.
They'll approach you very friendly. They'll help you to reserve a restaurant. They'll offer you 500peso or 500peso plus a bottle of Tequila only if you allow them to present "Hotel Welcome Package". BUT they are all timeshare sales. DO NOY WASTE YOUR TIME.

4. 2 Buffet restaurants?
They serve almost same foods in both restaurants and not really good. I will give 3 stars out of 5 at best.
Go to Sunset Grill or Maria's. These two are only good ones in this hotel.

5. COCKROACHES!!!! (I'll upload photo asap)
Yes. I am not lying. I found a small cockroach in the bathroom and took a photo of it.
Guess what I found a BIG one too at hallway. If you like a wildlife, this hotel must be for you.

6. If you are traveling with childen and have to check into this hotel, make sure your room does not facing the lobby bar.
They play live music every evening until 11pm. It is usually loud pop or rock'n roll. Also since it is the only bar open for late night, drunken dumb american kids and spoiled mexican kids will make all kinds of noise at least until 2am. Music, drunken kids & door bangings. VERY NOISY.

In conclusion, I will NOT go back to Gran Caribe Real in Cancun. In fact, I will not visit Cancun. I wil probably go to Playa Del Carmen next time. The area is much better than Cancun and you don't have to go All-inclusive there. Plenty of restaurants and stores in PDC.

Rent Car Tip: Do not rent a car from the hotel. Go to La isla shopping plaza. You will find many car companies like Hertz, National, Avis... Much Cheaper. We paid less than $30US/day for a Crysler PT Cruiser.

2 Thank VanHouseHunter
We thank you for taking the time to leave us your comment, this helps us improve our service and provide a more enjoyable stay.

Hope to serve you next time.
Kind regards,
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2009

First of all I have traveled all over the caribbean and stayed in several 5* all inc hotels. I have been to Mexico 5 times but never stayed in Cancun itself. I booked this Holiday last min for a week via First Choice online. All we wanted was a relaxing break in the sun - not really to much to ask!!!! The pictures make it look sooo nice however do not be fooled. The beach in no exsistant. The food is horrible in all the restaurants at all dining times. It is that bad that we ate out in the 2 days we were in this hell hole... The walls in the rooms are paper thin and it is very noisy all the time, not very nice at 4am in the morning when all you can hear is loud groups of people drunk shouting all kinds of things, if I wanted that I would have stayed in Manchester (UK) at the Holiday inn!!!!! The pool is cramed full of sunbeds and you can hardly move - there are no sunbeds left even by 8am, this is due to the fact that the beach has been washed away and the pool area is far to small for the size of the hotel. We managed 2 nights and taht was because we could not get hold of the rep on the 1st night, we then moved to the RIU Palace which we had to pay for but I was so glad to be moved. This really is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in in the whole of the Caribbean. If you are thinking of staying here DONT - stay at a RIU or Iberostar for the same price but much much better on everything.... If you have booked this hotel already then speak to your travel agent about moving hotels as they can do this for you no problem.

If you want to know anything else let me know...

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HelenB23
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to leave your comment. Please be assured that the concerns you mentioned have already been addressed to the corresponding departments
Once more, thank you and we hope to have the privilege of hosting you again in the near future.
Farmington, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2009

We went on an all-inclusive over Easter week. The inclusive here includes room service and the minibar in the room. Basically, side trips and bottled liquor are the only thing you pay extra for.

The restaurants (we tried two of three) at the resort stock excellent food which actually changes a little from night to night (unlike a lot of 'all-inclusive' resorts in Mexico).

The staff were extremely cordial and most of them had fluent to acceptable English. The maids, table waiters and concierges were very nice.

The pool area (they actually have three but two are more targeted at the children) was gorgeous, facing the open sea.

BEST THINGS: The availability of palapas (umbrellas and tables by pool or seaside), terrific poolside sushi bar, availability (by taxi or bus) of flea markets and hot spots and the side tour (all day) to the Mayan/Toltec ruins at Chichen-Itza. Also, on the beach you are not hounded to death by junk merchants.

NOT SO BEST THINGS: Waiting until 5pm for our room to be ready after arriving at 10am from a 5 hour flight in coach class in a 20-inch wide aisle with flight attendants with 42-inch wide derrieres and being seated behind Octo-mom and her ADHD on steroids litter.
Some of the drinks beach side can be a little watered down.

ALSO WATCH OUT FOR: The timeshare hawkers who present themselves as "tour advisors" right out of the customs gate at the Cancun airport. If you're booking through a travel/tour agency and have to hook up with people at the airport, timeshare bandidos will try and get to you first and side track you to spending a day at their "promotions". We've had over forty years of experience in dodging these guys.

Still, once we crashed tossed our luggage to the floor and collapsed into our beds it was still worth it.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Matias K, Director General at Gran Caribe Resort, responded to this review, July 28, 2015
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with us. It is very gratifying to read how much we exceed you expectations
I look forward to welcoming you in another paradisiacal getaway and create many more memorable experiences!