“The Place To Stay!”

Ranked #29 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Grande Prairie, Canada
“The Place To Stay!”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

After reading reviews of several hotels in the area we finally decided to stay here!! Jan 17-24 2014…...What a beautiful resort!! The service we we received was amazing…..the food was exceptional at Maria's…and the Mayan coffee is to die for!! Very accommodating, pleasant staff. Room service is prompt, the place is spotless! Definitely will be staying there again!!

Room Tip: Avoid the elevator area as the halls seem to echo the traffic sounds!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Melanie K
Matias K, Director General at Gran Caribe Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2015
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with us. It is very gratifying to read how much we exceed you expectations

I look forward to welcoming you in another paradisiacal getaway and create many more memorable experiences!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,403)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Lousy customer service from arrival. Rooms are not at all like shown on web-site. BAIT and SWITCH! You can pay for upgrade after upgrade and it gets worse not better. BUT if you spend 6 hours in the 90 minute Real Club tour you will be promised that if you turn over 59,000 US dollars you will get treated like a VIP. I was told very clearly by Real Club salespeople that the lowest priority at this resort is anyone booked through a travel agent. That in itself speaks volumes to the experience we just went through. I travel often to the Mayan Riviera. This is not a 5 star hotel. At best 2.5 star. Less than one star for customer service! If you are considering this Hotel and are NOT a Club Member, or willing to spend 59000 US dollars go anywhere else!

Room Tip: Do NOT pay for an upgrade to the 6th floor VIP Gran Junior suite ocean view. It simply does not exis...
3 Thank Shelley S
Thanks you for leaving your stay feedback; it helps us improve our services.

We hope you will give us another chance to show you the “Grand” experience as it should be.
st.thomas
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I went with my husband, 10 year old and another couple. the airport was a litle hectic, so we decided to take a cab to our resort rather then wait for our tour bus. When we arrived the check in was easy. The food was terrific! The grounds where always clean. The beach was immaculate. There was a 24 hr snack bar. My son had so much fun on the water slides and in the heated pool. It is really safe in cancun, we were out walking the strip past 10 p.m with no worries. The best deals I got when it came to shopping where at the big market located across the street from the hard rock. got 2 kids shirts 2 for 100 pesos (which is $8 in total $4 each). I got a large decorated skull for 150 pesos ($12.50). I would recommend this resort to anyone. The staff was friendly, helpful and polite. Take time to go and see the shows at the resort, it is worth it.

2 Thank timangela
Antonio M, General Manager at Gran Caribe Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Timangela.
Gracias for this good review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay at Gran Caribe Real.
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2014

What a complete failure of a hotel when it comes to the food quality...Booked with Westjet Vacations . They serve the same food everyday with little variation. Today they smoked out the entire main restaurant with some form of exhaust failure. AWFUL food. No imagination. Steaks that are are ⅛" thick and hard and tasteless. Westjet Vacations tried to resolve but in the end backed the hotel. Staff are nice other then the Chefs. Very sad to have been trapped here for the week.

Room Tip: Don't waste your time as the food will leave you fantasizing about being home in -40 degree wind...
2 Thank p b
P b thank you very much for taking your time to write this feedback , its very important for us to know which areas in need of improvement are, after reading your comments I have called our food and beverage executives for a round table and came up with interesting changes to improve here.
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 24, 2014

This was where my husband and I and our wedding guests stayed. THANK GOD we had the actual wedding and honey moon at the amazing Royal Cancun next door.
The Gran Caribe was was just plain horrible. I have never experienced such terrible service in my entire life. The people at the front desk were extremely rude and unhelpful especially the general manager "Rene". Rene would not even look at us when we complained about our horrific experience. Half of my guests' rooms weren't ready so they had to sit around and wait while the staff tried to push them to upgrade (so they could make more money) The entertainment staff made fun our gay friend at karaoke night....which was absolutely APPALLING!!!!! The food was terrible and had mystery gravy on everything. Do yourself a favor and go to the Royal Cancun (now called the Hyatt Zillara" next door. Hopefully someone will fire Rene and/or tear down the Gran Caribe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Sarah A
We thank you for taking the time to leave us your comment, this helps us improve our service and provide a more enjoyable stay.

Hope to serve you next time.
Kind regards,
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2014

This was my first time to this resort but not my first to an all-inclusive; this will however be my last trip to this hotel. We attended a wedding while we were there and from the perspective of weddings, they didn't miss a beat when it came to details. The wedding was truly magical.

Check-in: kind of slow and seemed a bit unorganized, bell boys where great!

Food: although they had variety the food was over salted for me. Salad bar looked like the lettuce had been taken out of the garbage, brown and not appetizing. Only had time for one a la carte which was the Italia, service was great and food good but still too salty.

Rooms: Our room overlooked the kids pool and lagoon, was actually quit pretty, the room was cleaned well everyday and bar fridge stocked well. The bottle water they provide didn’t taste like water, perhaps lagoon water??? Plenty of towels each day which was great as some resorts always short you on towels. Even though we had our own toiletries they had a wonderful selection if you ran out. When it rained which it did a few times, we found our room had many leaks, not a big problem, asked for more towels and placed them on the floor. Didn’t need to change rooms for that.

Pools: Main pool is small but enjoyable; always something to do around the pool, the staff really does work hard to keep the guest entertained. The beach was gorgeous! Chairs are a plenty around the pool and beach.

Most of the staff we interacted with extremely friendly and helpful.

Location: although I didn’t go off the resort but others did, they found most things within walking distance, malls restaurants and things to see and do. Cancun is one big strip of hotels jammed together, no real sense of Mexico.

If the food was a bit better I would probably go back, but I do enjoy traveling and experiencing good food. On a side note, a few of the people we traveled with ended up sick with a 24 hour bug (vomiting and diarrhea), not sure what it was...but I have to say this is the first time I had ever been sick on a holiday.

Sorry Gran Caribe Real you have a lot of work to do for me to come back!

Room Tip: I don't spend much time in my room so upgrading is not worth it to me!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Balsa
Balsa, Thank you very much sharing your recent experience at Gran Caribe Real.

We are very sorry to read that we were unable to meet your experience during this visit.

With regard to the food, can affirm that we indeed operate our resort with the highest international hygiene standards to assure our appreciated guests´ well-being.

We sincerely hope you will allow us the privilege of hosting you again in the near future and provide you the excellence of service you and all our valued guests reserve.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 24, 2014

The good far outweighed a couple of problems during our stay.

I can't say enough about the staff. Guest services, bar and wait staff, housekeeping, etc., very all very friendly and professional. The language barrier that I've seen in other reviews was something that we did not experience at all. Very easy to communicate with everyone at the hotel even though it's been years since high school Spanish.

The junior suite, ocean view was wonderful. Plenty of room to relax and unwind after a long day in the sun, beautiful view of the sea. Lobby, pool and beach areas were immaculate and very well maintained.

Buffet restaurants were very good, Maria's and Il Pescadora were terrific. Plenty of other dining options are available within a short walk or bus ride if you grow tired of the resort.

Excursions booked though BD Travel (Xel-Ha and Isla Mujeres snorkeling) were nice, but I don't think that I would repeat either.

One significant problem encountered when my wife received a pretty good shock while plugging in the hotel provided hair dryer. I brought the dryer with its melted plug to the front desk - hair dryer was immediately replaced, but I don't believe that anyone ever checked the condition of the ground fault outlet.

If arriving early, don't expect to have access to your room or checked luggage before 3 PM. In hindsight, we should have brought along a small bag with a change of clothes for the warmer climate aside from our larger pieces of luggage.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank M144NNJohn_R
Dear M144NNJohn_R.
Thank you for your brief yet encouraging review about your past stay.
Our associates strive to provide excellence in service and we are proud to read we were able to meet your expectations throughout your visit at Gran Caribe Real.
Please be assured that the concerns you mentioned have already been addressed to the corresponding departments
Once more, thank you and we hope to have the privilege of hosting you again in the near future.