“Most Excellent !!”

Ranked #29 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Red Deer, Alberta
“Most Excellent !!”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just arrived home from the Gran Caribe Real Resort, and had the most excellent time. Weather was great, resort was awesome, and cannot say enough about the staff. We stayed in the Junior suite on the 4th floor. It was great for our needs, as we do not spend any time in the rooms anyways. Very clean and spacious and all the amenities that you need. Bar fridge was stocked daily. Maid service was excellent, beds were turned down every night with a chocolate on the pillow.
The food in the buffet was great, and we did eat at all of them. Also ate a Maria's Mexican restaurant, and had a wonderful lobster dinner. The lobster was extra, but it was stated on the menu and pointed out by the waiter when we ordered. No surprises.
The pool service was excellent, and the staff were friendly and fun.
They were doing some construction when we were there, but nothing that bothered us. (some people, complained, but really WHEN, do you think they are suppose to do it, they can't really shut the place down) Have another rum, and don't worry about it :)
The hotel is in a great location to shopping, bars and other eating establishments as well. The beach is beautiful, although it was very windy when we were there, but you can't control that either.
We took a tour over to Isla Mujueres, and I would definetly recommend it. It was beautiful, and the beach is very calm.
Also had a couples massage at the Spa, which was fabulous.
All in all, we had a wonderful trip to Mexico as usual. I like to call it my second home.
Would also like to send a special thank you, to some very special staff !! Felicia, Hipolito, and Juan. I could go on and on, but those are the ones that stood out most. Always a smile on their face and ready to serve you.

2 Thank SonyaRedDeer
Matias K, Director General at Gran caribe resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2015
Thank you very much for writing us in regards to your recent stay at Gran Caribe Cancun

We truly appreciate when a guests takes their time to share with us their “Gran” experience!

Once again, thank you and we hope to see you again very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,423)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed November 19, 2012

After our last visit in February of this year a number of changes have taken place. The menu's at 2 of the 4 main restaurants that are in the resort have been severely downgraded. The menu at Maria's which was superb is now mediocre at best. The presentation of the food has suffered also. The Sunset Grill has also undergone a similar transformation and after a meal of inedible duck has become for us a place to avoid. The staff at this resort is the finest you will find anywhere, attentive, friendly and courteous. When you return here you are welcomed almost llike family. There have however been a number of changes in the Lobby Bar staff and at times it is hard to get service while the wait staff are at the bar having a conversation. We will probably not return again.

Room Tip: Try to have an ocean front room. Away from the noise and the view is spectacular
3 Thank bigbadbobdog
Matias K, Director General at Gran caribe resort, responded to this review, August 2, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

We are continually evaluating our services to best fit the needs of our guests and your feedback is very valuable.

See you soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I went to Cancun for my niece's destination wedding for 6 days and was so glad we chose this hotel. They were so family friendly with lots of activities to do. I've been to posh more extravagant hotels in Europe and Asia in my travels around the world and found that service is better than luxury surroundings. Grand Caribe's staff was the best I've seen and if anyone differs they are just drama queens looking for attention. We traveled with very small children and older adults and everyone needs were met with attention to details. The rooms were very clean and very nicely appointed. I ate most of my meals at the Albatros restaurant where the men and women were so great. And I have to make a special mention of waiter Ruben and Chef Ramiro whom were wonderful. Ruben went beyond his duty to make us feel more like family and Chef Ramiro made us some spectacular special dishes that were the best. Other notables staff were Idel Farso, Oliver, Hipo, Bart, Roberto, Hector, Misael and Ignacio. Trust me Grand Caribe book it, beauty and service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Once again, thank you and we hope to see you again very soon!
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I honestly do not know were to start, we have paid alot of money for this holiday n have flown 11 hrs. First time in mexico but been several other all inc before. The holiday started off fine, we got told we had a free upgrade on checking in purely due to fact no other rooms available as they are to full capacity. Great. Got to room had a jacuzzi again great. This was not working the water was dark green and on turning jet stream on we had thick yellow orange 'gunge' come out. Turns out we got this free upgrade due to the fact other ppl had to be moved from the room as basically there was a construction site infront of our balcony consisting of diggers people drilling hammering chisling the lot till gon midnight n back up again before 7am, twice we complained at desk and got told soon be over and after 3 days of it went and complained and got moved room fair enough but more hassel. Then construction at pool drilling allllll day long and at beach bar and on the building at both ends of beach and i dont mean quiet noise, my ipod full blast in my eyes did not cover it. After several days and several complaints the work moved to side of us wer we were sunbathing so again i went to manager and in so many words basically was tough and i was overexaggerating! They just do not care! If it wasnt for the construction to be honest id let everything else go over my head and i am not one to complain normally. Other little things the hotel lack on- we had turn down service twice all holiday and ome time they tried to do it 5pm wen we were getting ready for our night out. Food in buffets cold and i found several hairs in food over course of holiday. Hotel room doors dont shut unless you slam them, service is poor. The hotel is not as near as glamarous as pics make out. If i were to come back to mexico no way would i recommend hotel. As far as im concerned not a 5 star a poor 4 star if that. Pay the bit extra and go to the royal or riu.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Pierdrak
We are truly sorry you had an unpleasant experience during your vacations. We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments; this helps us to provide better services in the future

Hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again so we can enhance your perception of our hotel
Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I, along with our 8 year old son, visited the Gran Caribe over the Easter Weekend 2012. The trip from the airport took much longer than we had hoped as the shuttle service seemed very disorganized. that being said, it was likely just an off day for them. We checked in on line in advance of our trip, and that allowed us to go stright to the on-line check in desk at the resort. Check in was super quick, very pleseant. Noone tried to sell us additional upgrades. Bst of all, inspite of arriving early, we were taken straight to our room! Give the on-line check in a shot. We found it worked out very well for us.
Our room was clean and spacious. The bathroom is in need of an update however. But it was very clean. Mini bar was always well stocked. The view from our beach front balcony was great, hammock and all! Having gone at the tail end of University/College spring break worked out well. If you're there for family time, and not college-kid party time, have a look at a few online sites that will tell you what US schools are or break (and average numbers of students per week on break). Great way to plan a trip IF you are looking for something a little more tame. There were still some party-goers of the late teen variety, but all in all, we experienced no noise issues. We also timed our departure just as the larger Mexican vacationers were starting their Easter holiday break.
We love to have a few drinks and a good time, but can do without the noise when our evening has wound down!
The lobby bar was wonderful. Very spacious! Entertainment was cheesy fun. Good tunes and a nice family venue. There were a few weddings going on, and the parties took over the larger part of the lobby bar, but the service was still excellent and there was always plenty of seating.
The kids pool area was fun. It seemed that there was a decent amount of attention paid by the staff in keeping kids safe. Mind the speed of the waterslides. We did see a couple kids get hurt. But it wasn't for lack of effort on the part of the staff monitoring the slides.
The food was okay. Sunset Grill for lunch was the best meal of the day. Buffet has plenty to offer both breakfast and dinner. But we were there for les than a week. Maybe those who were there longer would disagree with the variety offered. We were quite happy. In fact, we prefered the buffets over any of the restaurants for dinner. Menus were not great, in our opinion. Especially for a child. Our son is not picky. I just found that they tried too hard to offer meals that were off the beaten path. But the service was really wonderful, as were thr drinks and dessert. We just prefered the great variety offered at the buffets.
All in all a great break. Quiet, clean, excellent service all around. Due in part to luck and good timing (a quiet room and a relaxing beach were so very needed!). But we wouldn't want to take away anything from the hard working staff!
The beach was spectacular. Loved it and couldn't get enough of being in the water! The only negative would be the size of the main pool. There were never enough seats, and the pool was probably the smallest I've seen at a resort this size. But we spent more time at the beach! So good!

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Canada365
Gracias for taking part of your valuable time to share with us your experience,

We are very happy to know that you had a fabulous vacation with us

Once again, thank you and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon!
Tewksbury
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My trip was for two weeks. The sixteenth thru to the thirtieth of October. Weather was extremely absolutely gorgeous, could not have asked for anything better. I stayed in the Junior Suite which was beautiful in its self. My friend was graciously friendly to take me. Im a 45 yr old divorced female with MS still stuggling with reality of my break-up (2yrs ago). I needed a get away this was de finitely it. This Resort has it all! Fine dining, Dinner Shows, Bands, Karaoke.A beach bar with swings and hamics omg just beatiful, I fell in love. Scheduled activities happenning always included in your stay, yes included {of coarse their are some in the late evening not but this is awesome as well sign up and meet others and go down to local clubs together leave when u want} Pool side Dana,Lois,Lisa I tell you they are so personable, I miss them!!! I want to go back just to say hello,
honestly but while I am their I will have some delicious food,I will start with omlet the lady who makes these at the pool buffet is awesome{so sorry I forget her name she is so nice very friendly!}
I must say ALL personnal were so polite and helpful. 'NONE" of their staff had any sour looks on their faces can u imagine going to work and seeing happiness all day?Even maid service who come like twice a day yes 2x do a clean up and then even pull your bed down at night and leave a treat. I made sure I left her one,as the others. Maybe its all the Sun and it boosts their VitD level. Any how lost my train of thought Tequila Sunrise make sure u get up and watch the sunrise "ITS Breath Taking" -- even better with a "Mimosa". The lounge bar is just gorgeous, huge if u just stand back and take a second as u walk in resort The atrium check-in left lounge open to daisy shape pool and pirate ship for kids great restaurant as well,to rt is huge pool overlooking ocean just breathtaking, If you took a sharpe rt you would go to the spa and the gym. I mean the spa is heavenly and the gym love it, I need this love spinning and was so excited this exsited at your facility. The instructor of your spin class is exceptional, feel terrible for the life of me I cant remember his name {he broke his arm not to long ago}. I am from one of the suburbs of Boston, Massachusetts. I was once a dance instructor. Music, Dance, Exercise has always been a part of my life,he does a nice job with choreographing his spin class to music. He includes eveerything from a warm up to a intense ride to a steep climp, to a cardio blast then we bring it down awesome !!! I could go on and on but dont want to ruin your surprises you just have to go !!!!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in a jr suite I viewed both beach and lagoon rm2535. Below is mini golf & trampoline a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sheri T
On behalf of Gran Caribe Cancun staff and myself, we appreciate the time you took to share with us your positive review!

See you soon!
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Was our first time in Mexico, and second hotel- we stayed one week before in Playacar area, in 5 star, all inclusive, but cheaper. We enjoyed a lot our stay there and were looking forward to Gran Caribe! When we arrived, we were proposed upgrade to have a walk out to ocean and some other benefits, which we accepted, though the stay wasn't cheap even before that. But we really hoped it will work out. But it didn't!! First day, on the balcony next to us, repair works were going on, with all the dust coming on us and noise. We were promised it will be finished by 3pm and it did. The next day they started works beneath our balcony, on the stairs, with even more noise. And promised to finish...and they did, but the third day works on the walls started with hammers and all that... I believe a five star hotel shall finish repairs before start of high season... And what was the upgrade???? Food is no good, poor choice, bad smell in the Albatros restaurant...staff is not friendly in most cases. We decided to stay up to end of our journey here this time, and not think about this disappointment, since we have just one more week, and we better do our best to try to enjoy it. But i will never come back to this hotel and wouldn't recommend to others. Value for money-disaster!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Olesya1982
Thank you very much sharing your recent experience at Gran Caribe Cancun.

We are very sorry to read that we were unable to meet your experience during this visit.

We sincerely hope you will allow us the privilege of hosting you again in the near future and provide you the excellence of service you and all our valued guests reserve.