“Great hotel if you are traveling with children” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gran Caribe Resort

Gran Caribe Resort
Ranked #28 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Sacramento, California
“Great hotel if you are traveling with children”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Typically we stay at adults only hotels, however, we were traveling with a large group of family which included our 6 year old granddaughter so we needed a child friendly resort. We are Real Club member so this resort made sense for us, not to mention we got the all inclusive rate for a great deal.

I want to say Angel Bello, is the BEST employee at the resort. She is so friendly and great with the kids. My granddaughter, couldn't wait to say hi to her everyday and Angel always made time to chat with her. All employees should be like her. Anel L the bell desk supervisor, was superb. We had an issue with our shuttle coming to pick us up (they forgot) and he quickly called them and took care of it for us. Very professional and so helpful The younger person at the towel booth (forgot name) was horrible and made me so uncomfortable I started sending other family so I didn't have to see him. I think he thought he was being funny but it bordered on being really creepy.

Check in - We already had booked Ocean Front rooms so we they didn't try to upsell us on rooms. However, that could also be due to the fact that we are members. Check in was smooth, however I gave my credit card for three rooms, when my son and his wife tried to charge something to the room they said there was no card on file for it. I had to go to the front desk again to do this. I hate having to waste time on things like this, and wish it would have been done right the first time.

Rooms - 4 of us had Ocean Front rooms with fabulous views. Our room number was 2414 on the fourth floor. It was a corner suite, so it had a floor to ceiling window by the bed which had an ocan view but faced the pool. There was also a slider on the same wall but in the furthest corner. A second massive slider was with a vew of the ocean. This room had the absolute best views ever. The room was large and spacious. The bathroom was adequate with a nice large shower. The one thing I didn't like is how spuradic turn down service was a night. Sometimes they tried to come in at 10 PM, sometimes it was done by 7. Go figure. They only stock the fridge with 2 small bottles of water per day and they hotel absolutely hates giving out the bottled water anywhere else. Very annoying. I asked the lobby bar for about 4 bottles every night to take to the room becuase you need water.

Restraunts - All of the reservation restaurants or order off the menu restaurants were good. The bufftet in the opinion of all of us in my group (8 adults) was that the buffet needs a lot of improvement. The service is excellent and the buffet will allow you to order items from the other restaurants such as the filet steak, which made it a lot better. They need a better salad bar area because the salad items are very limited for a green salad. Nothing was very good, but we survived. The Sunset Grill was my favorite food wise during the day, but service was often slow. The Health and Sushi Bar by the main pool had "okay" food but the service was slow and getting what you ordered seemed optional on their end. Terrible! Room service was quick and food was hot, but very limited menu. Marias had the best food in my opinion for dinner.

Pool-There is the main pool which for the time we were there was easy to get chairs. The thing I dislike is they play games and it doesn't allow you to use it during the hotest parts of the day because of all the activiites. Volleyball twice per day and areobics at noon, and other spuradic games throughout the day. Fun, but can be annoiying when its hot. The other pool is in the kids area and swamped with kids. Way too loud over there with kids running, screaming and parents drinking and not watching their kids. Not to mention its a very small pool. The water slides in the kids area are awesome. Just as much fun for the adults as it is the kids. You pick up good speed on those things so be careful when you hit the water, its only about 3 feet deep, so us adults left with some scratches and bruises, but well worth it. Fabulous area for the kids.

Bars - all provided great service.

Spa-the spa people walk around the hotel ALL day and constantly harass you about signing up for services. Its beyond annoying having the same person ask you several times a day, day after day to sign up. I had intended on getting a massage or two but come on, let me make an appointment if I want one. The services are excellent and they were having specialis, but again as a member i already get a 20% spa discount.

All in all, its a great hotel. The Royal, adults only hotels are much nicer becuase the food is 100 times better, no joke! But I would stay there again if traveling with children because they have a lot for the kids and she loved it.

2 Thank wahlflower
NicolasV547, General Manager at Gran Caribe Resort, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Extensive and very thorough review just the way people want to read to fully understand the whole picture. We as the hotel operators want to know also our weak areas as well as our winner points and as I read on your comments we have space for improvements, I really appreciate your feedback and hope to see you back at our sister resorts THE ROYALS. Best regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,349)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed a week for our honeymoon! It was awesome! The beach is beautiful and the pool was great! The everyday activities were also a plus and we felt very safe here. The staff was great! We'd definitely come back and I HIGHLY recommend staying here!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank ajndj4life
Your recommendations are highly appreciated and I really hope you can make back soon, Muchas gracias for your review! Best regards
Miami
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Anel, Liliana, and Betsy did an excellent on my message. I received a relaxing, deep issue massage and facial. The message was wonderful and very calming, soft music, body oils, etc. I wonder book another message with them.

3 Thank N B
Agree with you these gals are fantastic! And thank you very much for taking the time to commend them I will tell them. Best Regards
Wallasey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

I have been to Cancun on 10 occasions which says I like the place I guess however I have stayed in a number of different hotels in the resort &for the last 2 years I have stayed in the Rael Caribe Reasort & Spar Hotel in the Hotel Zone, Cancun. Why have I stayed there 2 years running and will again next year because it is the most friendy, clean, fun, well presented hotel I have had the pleaseure to stay in. From the people who work in the laundry (who dried my pushchair went it got soaked) to the porters who welcome you on your arrival this is a outstanding well managed hotel were nothing and I do mean nothing is to much. Even prior to my leaving the UK I e mailed the hotel with some requirments which I recived confirmation of before I left the country as well as when I arrived they were all in place. The food, service, drinks, entertainment and general manor of everything in this hotel is second to none. Special mention must go to Enrique Vazquez the manager of the New Il Pescatore Reteraunt in the hotel thank you Enrique the food wine and service was excellent. Also mentioned in dispatches is waiter Hector Ignacio who for the 4 weeks we have stayed there has looked after us so well when we have dined in the Albatos Resteraunt, also thanks to Captain I Delfonsouc for his proffesional standards which have served the resteraunt so well. If you go to Cancun check out this hotel its wonderful.

1 Thank chris w
It is wonderful to receive this kind of reviews, Enrique, Hector Ignacio, Idelfonso and the rest of my staff will be thrilled to learn about it and I will congratulate them on your behalf we will see you here for the third time please look me up so I can meet and thank you personally we do have a lot of passengers from UK and is an honor to have you all in Mexico and with us. Best regards
Northumberland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

we've just enjoyed one of the best holidays ever, everything was perfect, from the hotel layout to the position on the "hotel strip" I couldn't fault it. The food in the many restaurants was excellent and all the staff were so helpfull and friendly, a special thanks to Adrian in the Govitas and our lovely house keeper karina.

Room Tip: we up graded to a sea view as the balcony was larger and the view superb
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Muchas gracias for your review I am sure Adrian and Karina will be very happy to learn that their services exceeded your expectations. Best regards
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

We visited Gran Caribe Real for our 26 time in September and fall in love with this hotel more and more. Even though sometimes I do not see some of the people from the first time but most of them still there. I want to thank the following people for making my stay a great one always and for going above and beyond to make my stay an excellent and awsome one Chef Ramiro gracias por cocinarnos tan rico siempre, Maria's restaurant Mario, Albatros restaurant Ademir, Hipolito, Hector, Jesus and everyone else sorry can not remember all the names. Restaurant Gaviotas Edith thank you for always making us feel at home you are the best, miss ya..all of you made us feel like family. Mario you need to change the name of the caba to Maria and Nicky's thank you for all you do for us always se te agradece en el alma. Lobby Bar excellent service Norma, Fatima, Felicia and Anita todos los muchachos de el bar. Gracias a los de el entertainment for always having something to keep us entertained. I will hopefully get married there in 2014 and a big group will be going to enjoy the hotel. Thank you GCR.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NicolasV547, General Manager at Gran Caribe Resort, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Muchas Gracias for your outstanding review it is very refreshing to read your comments, I will make sure these great guys responsible to make you happy remain here for a long time and lets start planning that wedding soon!!. Best Personal Regards
yorkville, ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the GCR in September. We had our doubts about it for we like the adults only resort.BUT WE LOVED IT!!!! The Entertainment Staff were the BEST. They made our vacation FUN...a Super Shout Out To...... DANA ,ANDRE ,CINDY..and the rest of the staff.. They all made you feel like you were family. The Food was very good...the new Italian resturant was amazing ..FIESTA NIGHT is so BEAUTIFUL the staff put so much time and hard work on all the preparations for this awesome dinner and show.We were treated like royality. We are know wanting to take our grandson there after seeing all the fun things they have for toddlers to do.We will definetly be going back to see all the special people who made our vacation wonderful.....can't forget to mention the weddings we saw there were absolutely gorgeous..again the staff takes care of that...the beach is beautiful and we loved the bar on the beach with the swings...all and all we had a great vacation . Thank you GCR

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank kenjasbabe
NicolasV547, General Manager at Gran Caribe Resort, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Excellent review, muchas gracias!! I will definitely commend Dana,, Andre and Cindy I couldn’t agree more, these guys are amazing even with me I am glad you like it and please next time bring everybody with you. Best regards