“pleasant”

Gran caribe resort
Ranked #29 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
“pleasant”
Reviewed May 20, 2003

Both my husband and I stayed at the Continental Plaza Hotel during the week of May 12-19, 2003. We were happy with a lot of the commodities that the hotel provided. Our room was clean and tidy. We also enjoyed choosing what restaurant we were going to have our meals and even though we didn't take advantage of their beach sight, we enjoyed the view from our balcony whenever we got a chance. We were also happy with this one small souvenier store that claims that they have the lowest prices in Cancun--they really practice what they preach. Their prices were more than just reasonable. There were 3 things that were negative about our stay there and one was that we were not able to adjust the air conditioning in our rooms (this led to taking many showers just to keep cool at night and whenever we were in our rooms), the second was that the front desk personnel were not that friendly or helpful at many times. They were just there to hand the keys to the rooms and then you were on your own and if you asked questions their response was not too professional. My husband and I are of Mexican heritage, but that didn't necessarily mean that we knew what was going on. The last negative thing, was that we had an "all-inclusive" package (this means that all is included--this also goes for tips). In many ocassions while we were sitting at a restaurant we would hear the waiters complain about not getting a tip from certain tables. Also at the cocktail lounge the bartenders and the waitresses had some cups there for tips -- we really didn't understand why that is allowed in an "all-inclusive" hotel. Overall, the hotel was good, but my husband and I vowed that we would never go to Cancun again...and that is a whole other story.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Matias K, Director General at Gran caribe resort, responded to this review, July 15, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are continually evaluating our services to best fit the needs of our guests and your feedback is very valuable. See you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,425)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed May 14, 2003

This might be a bit long, but will cover everything you need to know to decide if you want to stay in the hotel. I stayed in this hotel in spring (March or April - dont remember the exact dates), which is not considered an overly busy season. I personally was thoroughly disappointed; however, it all depends on what you are looking for in a hotel. I saw a lot of bad reviews for this hotel and a lot of good reviews. Obviously there will be more good reviews because for quite a few people (especially first timers) an all you can eat and especially drink vacation experience is enough to give a high rating. I know it was enough for me first time I went to Cancun.Anyway, if all that you want to do is have a decent room to sleep (and do whatever else) in, lay in the sun all day (no shade available), eat, drink, party at night (in the downtown), if you dont mind lines for food and its average quality, you will give high rating to this hotel. In fact, the first time I went to Cancun, all I wanted to do was to drink, party, and eat as much as I can, and I had a great time. If thats what you are looking for and can get a really cheap deal for this hotel, dont hesitate and take it. I will give you one tip: when you want to get food/drinks while at the pool or beach, take as much as you can carry. A lot of times it took me half an hour waiting in line to get a beer and a burger. So, get 3-4 drinks/snacks for yourself at one time, so you will save as much valuable time of your vacation as possible. Soon, drinks will get warm in the hot sun, but it is better than wait in line every time you want one.However, if you want to have some shade available in the hot Mexican sun, if you care about quality of food, service, entertainment, and the time you have to spend to get it, you will be disappointed. If I had to describe this hotel in one word, it would be CROWDED. All spots in the shade (there is very few of them) are taken by 6:45 AM the latest. I didnt want to wake up that early during vacation, and therefore couoke up at 6AM, put their towels in the shade, and went back to their rooms. In fact, I found out the exact time of last umbrella being taken because I had to wake up at 6AM on the day I left. When I looked around at 6:45, no spots in the shade were available. So, bring a lot of strong sun block, especially if it is a long stay, because you will be spending all your pool/beach time on the sun.In terms of food, in all fairness you are not going to be hungry on this resort. But the lines to get drinks/food during the day were taking a lot of time from vacation. The quality was average. If you want to have a nice dinner, you will not get it this hotel. However, if you just want to eat something, and go to town to enjoy yourself, there is plenty of food quantity available at the hotel. I would suggest making reservations as soon as you wake up in the a la carte restaurant. Again, you need to wake up early to get it. The food is better than at the buffet; however, still if you want to spend an evening having a nice dinner, you will not get it there. The atmosphere and quality of all of the restaurants there is good just to satisfy your hunger, not quality time at dinner. There is also no evening entertainment. For any kind of quality time you have to get out of the hotel into the town. During the day though at the pool area there is music and an entertainer with a microphone.Some may say I am picky, but what I just described were the essentials of an all-inclusive resort. If I wanted to be picky, I would mention that the security there is a joke. I actually got into a brawl in the hotel once, but this is a fun story that has nothing to do with the hotel. What has to do with hotel is that security guard (about 5-4 140 lbs) was just standing there until it was over without trying to interfere. But this is no big deal, because most likely you will not need security guard there. If I were picky, I would mention that you cant order 2 meals at one time at the restaurants, even though it was supposed to be all inclusive. Some will take you several hours to have lunch, which you dont want to do. If you need anything delivered, also a long wait if they deliver it at all. You have to walk about 10 minutes or so to get to the beach, at least from the room I stayed in. It is pretty far from pool, which is where the bar and snacks are. It actually appeared that the beach was not on hotel property at all, it was that far. Anyone who desired was on that beach; in fact there were more people from outside than from hotel there. But these are small things I suppose, and the only reason I listed them is to give you an idea what could be noted if you wanted to be picky.Overall, an extremely crowded resort with everything that comes with crowded resorts. No place in shade at the beach/pool, lines to get everything, not good service, average food, or anything you can think of when there isnt nearly enough of amenities and staff to accommodate the number of people present. People who care about it (like me now) will not be happy with the resort and give it the worst rating. People, who dont (probably youngsters like me 5 years ago) and get a very cheap deal, will give high ratings. This is the bottom line. I fairly described exactly what you will and will not get at this hotel. Depending on what you like, you will either be pleased with the hotel or feel like you just wasted a lot of money and valuable vacation time.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
We thank you for taking the time to leave us your comment, this helps us improve our service and provide a more enjoyable stay.

Hope to serve you next time.
Kind regards,
Reviewed May 13, 2003

We stayed at the Continental Plaza over Christmas break 2002. We had a wonderful time. The food wasn't great, but it was good. Our room was nice, very clean. We had a problem with our shower and everyone was very concerned and helpful. The ocean view was fabulous. We loved being so close to the water. All in all, we were very pleased.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
First of all thank you very much for writing this detailed review about your stay at Gran Caribe Cancun! We thank you for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again!
Reviewed May 8, 2003

I went to the Continental Plaza from May 1st through May 6th. After reading some of the reviews on this site, frankly I was scared. But upon arrival I was pleasantly surprised. Our rooms were in the tower with a fabulous view of the pool and ocean. The rooms were musty and hot when we arrived, but eventually cooled off. It was always humid, but that was everywhere and hey, you are in Mexico in May after all. I do agree that the food was mediocre at best. Breakfast was by far the best. By the end of our stay we were pretty much sick of the dinner options so we ate out the last two nights. The beds are indeed hard, but you get used to it. The rooms are clean and spacious though and better than a lot I have seen before. We loved the entertainment staff by the pool. Water aerobics was a blast. The service at the pool for drinks etc... was very good. Overall it was a very pleasant and relaxing vacation. I think the key to enjoying yourself here is to not expect the Ritz and you too will be pleasantly surprised. The Continental Plaza was much nicer than I expected and was well worth the money.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
We would like to thank you for choosing our resort as your host on your recent gateway to Cancun. It was a pleasure having you and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.
We sincerely look forward to welcome you back on a future occasion
Reviewed May 7, 2003

My friend and I loved the Continental Plaza in Cancun. It has a great location in the hotel zone. Our room was beautiful and airy. We stayed in the Tower on the first floor and had a wonderful ocean view. Breakfast and lunch were wonderful, but we usually ate downtown for dinner. The bartenders, waiters, and cleaning staff were extremely friendly.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
It was a pleasure to welcome you to Gran CaribeCancun and we very much appreciate you taking the time to share your lovely review with us.
Thank you once again for your feedback and please know we are very much looking forward to hosting you again in the near future.
Reviewed May 3, 2003

This was our 2nd trip to Cancun for vacation. We previously stayed at the Ritz-Carlton, which was a 5 star vacation experience. Our travel agent recommended the Continental Plaza all inclusive vacation package for a similar experience. We hope our travel agent was sentenced to travel agent purgatory, or worse a week at the Continental Plaza. The bad experience started as soon as we arrived. As we waited to check in, we left our bags with the bellhops. We were dissapointed and exremely angered to discover that one of our wallets had been stolen from one of our carry on bags where only the hotel employees had access. The hotel management was extremely unresponsive to our dilemna. The bad experience continued when we were shown to our two rooms in the Villa section. Our rooms had an inoperable door lock, inoperable telephones, and inoperable air conditioning. On the first morning when we came back from breakfast we became further enraged to find out that the cleaning staff removed loose money we had left in our room. After reporting this matter to the management, they reluctantly agreed to move our family to more acceptable rooms in the tower section of the property. How could things be worse? The beds were hard, the food was terrible, the drinks were watered down, loose and broken tiles in the pool resulted in injuries, and the aloof unconcerned nature of the staff made for a truly forgettable vacation experience. Take our advice, Meet us in Cancun at the Ritz-Carlton. If we could give this hotel a honest rating, we'd give it no staes.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Hope to serve you next time.
Kind regards,
Canada
Reviewed April 30, 2003

Was at the Continental in Cancun for the week of April 19th with my 3 teenage children, we had a fabulous time. The staff, room, and food were great. Very friendly, helpful staff and quite an active place. Would definitely go back.

We appreciate your comments and the time you took to describe your stay, our best reward is our guest satisfaction. That keeps us training to be better every day
We are looking forward to see you again.