“Great Hotel For the Money”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of GR Solaris Cancun

GR Solaris Cancun
Ranked #32 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Columbus,OH
“Great Hotel For the Money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2006

This hotel was a good value for the money spent. Overall, the hotel was well kept and clean.If we go back to Cancun,we'd definitly stay here again. Here is the breakdown:

The hotel was in a great location & the water was crystal clear. There was room to lay out on the beach or pool. The pool activities kept most entertained with guessing games,volleyball,beer drinking contest and much more. The swim up bar is convient,with a menu of frozen specialty drinks. I personally don't think any of the drinks were watered down. All staff was willing to accomadate our needs or requests. We tipped the house keeping staff a few $ w/a note requesting extra Solin our mini fridge. They gave us extra Sol & then some. Thankfully the room tv had a variety of spanish & english channels,including ESPN.

The nightly entertainment in the lobby bar was ok. Each night they had a singer that would play cover songs. The magic show & the Saturday Night Fever show were a blast. The magic show was professional & the kids loved it. The food at Marco Polo was the best & the Deli food was the worst. There was always something I could find suitable. Room service is also included.Our room faced the lagoon side,which I thought had a great view of the street & lagoon.

The only nuisance was the thin walls between the actual rooms. I'm told if you get a room w/o an ajoining wall, it's better. The beds were somewhat hard.

Tips:
Isla Mujeres is a great place to visit,my husband & I had a blast.
take your own insulated cup,it keeps your drink cold and it saves trips to the bar.
If using the public bus,take a map of the hotels & their locations. It will help guide you as to when to jump off the bus. The bus drivers don't always stop exactly where you ask unless you tell them this is your stop. Most shops don't open until 10-11am,definitly take a watch to keep track of time.
If you book a tour, ask hotel staff the day you leave if all the info and company location is correct. We had the wrong info & almost missed our tour because we were late.

• Liked — the staff was great
  • Disliked — the thin walls
  • Tips/Secrets — take lots of sunscreen and chapstick
11 Thank any-beach-anywhere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,056)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
crewe cheshire england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2006

Crewe Cheshire UK
We were moved here on our second week, originally booked in the royal solaris caribe, but were asked to move due to rebuilding work, this hotel was more modern than caribe, the rooms were a lot nicer with more facilities ie fridge with mini bar (only alcohol was beer) free safe and coffee/tea making facility.
the location was fine right on the beach excellent sea view with balcony, staff were very helpful and friendly food was good quality (except the bacon nothing like english bacon it was mostly fat and rock hard) plenty of choice, entertainment very good, I would recommend the hotel, but unfortunately I could'nt stand all the hassle outside the hotel in the shopping areas, the main malls were fine good quality shops and all air conditioned but else where you just get pestered constantly for your money, did not have any problems with any time share though, if you do go out into the shops use the local bus and pay in pesos it costs 6.50 one way, you can pay with us dollars @ $1.00 one way when you convert this back especially over the weeks it works out more expensive because of exchange rate.
We wont go back to Mexico, we felt once seen job done plus I like to decide when and where I spend my money, it's a lovely place and if your not bothered about going out and about and happy to stay in hotel then you will have a great time and won't go wrong with GR Solaris, if you read a lot of the american reviews they do tend to be more critical all I can say is their just hard to please, but hey we read the reviews and had concerns but you really need to go for yourself and decide

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid shops except malls
8 Thank crewefan
Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2006

GR Solaris is a nice property. We've been to Cancun many. many times, but this is the first time at this property. All I can say is it's just good. Really nothing wow'ed us. The food was good to fair. The best restaurant is the Marco Polo by far. The staff is very helpful. What really turned me off at this property is the time sharing. My wife and I agreed to the presentation and for our time we upgraded the room. But somehow the room wasn't anything special, just a nice view. The pool, weather, and ocean is really what we go to Cancun for, and that was great. Typical watered down drinks, I could of drank all day w/o catching a buzz. Just many bathroom breaks :)

Stayed September 2006
6 Thank Skippy0804
warren ohio USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2006

We enjoyed most of our stay at this hotel, Breakfast was usually by room service out on the balcony overlooking the ocean, I foubnd the cafe a little to loud for me in the morning.
I recomend Marco Polo for Dinner and Anthony for a Server Hes the BEST. He really went the extra mile to make us feel special and add to out enjoyment.
The Slaon where Nightly shows are held as well as several themed dinner shows was enjoyable except that the waiters do at times get int he way while they are delivering beverages or clearing tables.
The daily pool "entertainment" really took away from my trip i avioded the pool area from 10am to 5pm the pool MC was Extreemly Loud and the speaker system made him really dificult to understand, If i was in my room i would keep balcony door closed to avoid the annoyance.
One thing i can say is that they color tag you when you get there violet arm band if you book with expedia,travelocity,hotwire ect.
red band if you use a regular travel agency
yellow band if you have bought into the time share
and the level of service you get is denoted by the color band on your wrist this takes away from the enjoyment also in my opion nothing like going on a vacation that you worked hard to be able to pay for and being treated like your a second class citizen.

• Liked — the view of ocean
  • Disliked — Shower .. head was clogged and spray was erratic in both rooms i was in during my stay same issue
  • Tips/Secrets — 1.00 us dollar tips go a long way =)
7 Thank embers
Long Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2006

GR Solaris is a very beautiful, well kept resort. The grounds are tended to and beautiful. Our room was an ocean front with a terrace, tiled bathrooms, plenty of hot water and room service always taking care of you.

7:00 A.M. walk on the beach before it gets too hot.
breakfast buffet with eggs or pancakes made to order
if you'd like to sit in the shade by the main pool, get those lounge chairs early, or have chairs and umbrellas brought for you down to the ocean.

entertainment at the main pool is relentless, starting at about 9:00 A.M. and going until 5:00 P.M. It's very "cruise ship" like. Volley ball, darts, Salsa lessons, excercise class, water polo, bingo, games etc...

They would like you to join in but if you'd just like to read a book they respect your time.
Bartenders do their best to make your drinks the way you like.
Lunch is really good, with more than enough choices.
Dinner on the other hand...not too good...venture out.
Isla le Playa has a beautiful sunset with fountains and really nice cafes and restaurants and places to shop.

We rented a car one day to drive down an hour and a half to Tulum to check out the Mayan ruins and the magnificent beach then continued up the coast to stop by Playa de Carman for drinks, food and sunset. Both were well worth the trip.

It's very hard making USD change, so bring alot of small bills.
It's also very easy to burn! Sunscreen!

• Liked — Ocean, Pool, Room, Staff
  • Disliked — Dinner, Music
9 Thank mattmo
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2006

We stayed at the Gr Solaris for 7 nights ( From Aug 27th to Sept 3rd.
We at breakfast every morning in the Cafe Solaris (great choices for everyone!) And most of our meals we ate at the Rosmarinos mostly because we enjoyed eating outside. We thought te food was great with plenty of choices, and the staff was excellent. On Friday when they serverd the lobster dinner, the waiter had no problem bringing us each a main dish (steak for me, Chicken for my hiusband) as well as the lobster for both of us.
If we planned an outing the next day, we would get something from the deli to bring along in a small cooler bag ( we used the room fridge to freeze water bottles to use as ice pack). One of my concerns was getting sick , so eating food I knew was safe was good.
We had no problems with noise from te adjoining rooms- maybe because there was no connecting door? We had reserved ocean front to begin with (Very much worth it!!) and slept with the patio doors every night to hear the sound of the wavers.
EVERYTHING was very clean.
We brought 100$ in 1$ bills to use in tis, and it went a long way . I've heard comments about the pool bar server weak drinks.. We would be sure to tip the bartender up front, and not only did we never have an empty glass.. he always used premium booze. I actually saw people there from morning till late afternoon drinking.. with no tipping .No wonder they watered down the drinks! If you find the drinks on the board to sweet, ask them to make you something else. They made us 'clementinas' a local drink with Vodka, lemon, spritzer and water. Like a Sangria with a kick.
The Adult only quiet pool and Jacuzzi was really nice - as the main pool did tend to get busy and noisy (still fun though!)

My Fav outing was Isla Mujeures ( take the ferry from Puerto Juarez) and rent a golf cart on the island. For 4$ Us you can go to Garrafon de Castillo hotel and use the facilities to go snorkeling. Bring your own, or pay 6$ US to rent the equipment. IT WAS FANTASTIC!! and a great place for that picnic lunch we prepared from the deli.
At the hotel, we were not bothered with the time share pitch - we told them up front thatwe were not interested. Going out however, EVERYONE is out to get you to go to a time share presentation. It got to be annoying. I think the All inclusve bands are a give away ( and some were aware enough to recognize which hotel we were from) Next time I'm covering it up with a bandana, however I would like to suggest to the resorts that they put a band removal process in place when guests are going out. They can put them back on when they get to the hotel. Like I said VERY annoying.
The hotel doesnt promote the ruins across the street enough.. only read about it on the web site. Only costs a few $$ and well worth it. Be prepared to see MANY Iguanas. We saw one guy feeding them some tortillas.. they were crawling out of the ruins everywhere. Made for some very nice pictures.

Again , can't say enough about the staff. They were great. I would certainly go back.

Stayed August 2006
17 Thank fr33byrd
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2006

We were at GR Solaris 8/26 thru 9/1. We loved it.! We went knowing we were doing the timeshare pitch. In return we got a great rate on our room. I can't say anything bad about the GR Solaris. The hotel itself exceeded our expectations. I read alot of reviews before choosing the GR Solaris and honestly, I was a little apprehensive about my decision. Then we got there and it was beautiful! The service was great and the food was good (depending on where you ate). The only complaint that we did have is that the drinks at the pool bar are weak. We are not heavy drinkers but there was no catching a buzz from the alcohol at the pool bar. I recommend going to any of the other bars inside the hotel and getting your drinks or stick to beer. Maid service is outstanding-please tip them well. Here are some of my tips as a 1st time traveler to Cancun;

Airport-As one of the other reviewers said. DO NOT STOP to talk to anybody for any reason. Go directly to the GR Solaris sign OUTSIDE of the airport. (Please read my review on The Kystal Hotel and find out why you don't want to stop)

Transportation-We used the buses, which werent' bad, but to do what we want next time we'll rent a car/jeep. If you go by bus, hold on tight!!

Tours-Go thru Aqua World. The snorkeling is much better than what the hotel has to offer. We also met some great folks at GR Solaris (Hey Deanne/Simon) and they went on the deep sea fishing tour with Aqua World with Capt Mike and had an awsome time. My fiance went with the one the hotel recommended and had a horrible time. Stick with Aquaworld for that type of fun.

Food-Breakfast is great in the Cafe Solaris-if you can't find somehting in there that you like, your just to picky.
Lunch-Stick to the Deli or the outside buffet (the big one).
Dinner-Marco Polo or the outside buffet. We did not enjoy Cafe Solaris for lunch or dinner. The food just wasn't as good in there.

The timeshare presentation is not bad at all (compared to another presentation we went to at The Kystal Hotel). GR Solaris sales people were very professional and kind.

We had no noise problems at all. We stayed in room 8114 and 8154 (our choice to upgrade to jacuzzi room). We had no water pressure problems or hot water problems. This is a hotel we would return to again without any hesitation at all. We met some really great people that we'll keep in contact with and hopefully vacation with again in the future. What more could a person ask for! Go have fun and remember that your not in Kansas anymore!!

• Liked — super super clean hotel
  • Tips/Secrets — Just enjoy