“Don't understand how it gets bad reviews”
Review of GR Solaris Cancun

GR Solaris Cancun
Ranked #34 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed August 7, 2006

Had a great time there. My girlfriend and I thought the food was great! Anyone who complains about the food are either uptight or just plain snobbish. We by no means travel in luxury and loved every minute.

If I had to critique anything, I wish the water pressure in the shower was a little stronger, but hey, if thats all I got, then it's not bad. I heard some people didn't have water at all a month before us, so I was a little worried, but to be honest, it wouldn't have mattered. Sometimes vactions are what you make of it. If you're complaining about something constantly, then obviously you're going to be miserable. If the water doesn't work, go sit at the beach and relax . . . who cares!! YOU'RE IN CANCUN!!. If the food is bad, the hotel has PLENTY of options to accomidate you. . . and go into town and get something if it not "upscale" enough for you. . . it rained 2 out of the 4 days, but still couldn't dampen our mood or time . . .hotel was GREAT!!!

The nite life at the hotel didn't offer much, just a karaoke/music couple singing in the main bar/lobby . . . but that was by our choice. The hotel does offer a package where every night they go to a different club. $35 include ride to and from club, all you can drink at the club, VIP so no waiting in the line. We would have went, but were just too tired from ALL the day activities.

We said we'd like to go someplace new every year to experience more, but now I'm scared that nothing else will live up to this experience at this price. So we may just go back every year.

21  Thank jschvach

Reviewed August 7, 2006

We have just returned from a one week stay at the GR Solaris AI hotel in Cancun Mexico. We picked this hotel because of the 4 star rating and good reviews it received. Unfortunately we did not get to experience the "4 star" treatment. The walls were very thin and we could hear people in the hallways and rooms.

In addition, we also had a really noisy fan in the room that kept us up at night and our beds were as comfortable as sleeping on concrete. The food was horrendous (cafeteria style) and the drinks were watered down. The time share people were so annoying that we were afraid to walk down into the lobby area for fear that one of them would attack us. Even the Orbitz rep whom we had to get our return bus ticket from would hassle us about purchasing a tour. The lights went out a couple of times and to top off the whole experience, we got very sick the last four days of the trip (don't know if it was the awful food or the ice in the drinks). This forced us to stay in our noisy room for the remainder of the trip, which we would have complained about but were too sick to even get out of bed.

When we were finally dying of dehydration and called down to get our bottled water that wasn't stocked that day, they tried telling us we had already been stocked and were not allowed to get any more water. After 2 hours we finally got our bottled water. We will probably not be going back to Mexico anytime soon but if we ever do we definately won't be staying at the GR Solaris!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cas19
Reviewed July 31, 2006

We have just returned from a 7 night stay at the GR Solaris. There were 2 families traveling together. I was with my husband and 3 children. The other was a family of 4.
The resort was lovely and the staff was incredibly nice and helpful. The entertainment staff was terrific. The food on the other hand was awful. Out of 9 of us 7 got sick. My husband and I are back for 3 days now and we still are very sick. This was my 4th time in Cancun and never had this experience. We got a very good deal for the week, so I guess the old saying is correct, you get what you pay for. I will not return to the GR Solaris in the future, but I will return to Cancun.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
8  Thank cheryls1018
Reviewed July 28, 2006

I, my husband and two daughters (21 and 17) had a wonderful time at the GR Solaris. We would recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to Cancun. It was like a cruise on land. We had no water problems while we there. The staff is very friendly and were sure to please. The entertainment staff was great. They kept you busy from dawn to dusk and sometimes dusk to dawn if you do the bar night life.
The only problem we had was that our rooms were not ready at check in but were very quickly upgraded to oceanview rooms.
The food was great (unless you are a picky eater like my family)
and plentiful. Tip the waitress a $1 everytime and she will keep the drinks coming.
The staff works very hard to make you happy so be generous to them.
There are 3 pool area's, one for entertaiment which included the swim up bar and baby pool. The second pool was for just hanging out if you did not want to participate with the entertaiment and the third pool was set away from the other pools for adults who just wanted the quiet relaxing vacation.
You could also go to the beach which the hotel supplied chairs and umbrella's if you wanted. If you wanted special area's by the pool you had to get up early to have them saved with you towel.
Be careful when you purchase from the vendors walking up and down the beach they also want to try to sell you drugs.
The bus ride into town was an experience on it's own if you were the last one on the bus you didn't have time to sit down before they took off. You also had to tell them were you were going or they would pass it up before you knew it. Be careful in the flea markets they will rip you off in a second.
Our trip to the GR Solaris was great and lived up to it's 5 star rating.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
27  Thank wrgrant
Reviewed July 26, 2006

After reading several most recent reviews on the GR Solaris, I felt the need to post one of my own. My boyfriend and I stayed at the GR Solaris from July 12th-July 16th. This was our first visit to Cancun and the first time we ever stayed at an all inclusive resort. I must tell you that it had been awhile since my boyfriend and I have been able to feel so relaxed, happy and welcomed anywhere.

When we arrived, we were so tired and just ready to go to our room and take a nap. Luckily it was after check in time by the time we arrived so our room was ready. We were greeted with a representative (Cindy) from the hotel who gladly sat us down at the lobby bar and offerred us some drinks. We happily obliged to that request being that we were stressed from our flight and some passport issues my boyfriend was dealing with. She went over all the inclusive details that the hotel provided and then we went up to our room which was located on a pretty high first floor. When we walked in, I was very impressed with the size of the room as well as the terrace. We didn't have THE BEST view, however the fact that we had a view of the lagoon on the left and the beach on the right sides made up for it. We had a frontal view of another hotel that was undergoing a facade renovation, but other than that it wasn't noisy whatsoever.

I must say that the resort has a very cozy and exotic feel to it. The beach was so blue like the sky. We're from the New York metro area and we're not used to seeing water that blue! The weather was beautiful the entire five days we were there. The sea was quite rough so we couldn't really go swimming too deep in. We spent alot of time over at the adult pool (or the quiet pool) where it was much easier to find a lounge chair to sit at and sunbathe. All we basically did was take a dip in the pool and drink ourselves silly, haha! The staff was very accomodating when it came to bringing us drinks. It does TRULY help if you tip them. They will REALLY look out for you if you do, especially if you tip them with American dollars. On another note, treat yourself to a one hour relaxation massage by the beach. Talk about paradise! I thank my boyfriend for that wonderful gift!!!

The food was outstanding. I understand some people can be particular when it comes to what they eat, but I must say that the quality of the food at the restaurants there were excellent! We didn't get a chance to visit the Marco Polo restaurant since we were quite happy going to Rosmarinus restaurant every night for dinner. We did go to a dinner show at the theater our third night there but it truly wasn't that great! I did enjoy the lobster tails they served though! The breakfast buffet was the best meal the entire day for the both of us. If you happen to be served by a lady named Nelly, please tip her. She was truly accomodating and wonderful! I miss her alot!

All in all if you stay here, you will not be dissapointed. We both had a wonderful time and do plan to go back next year. The staff and the location of the resort itself made our vacation absolutely unforgettable. We both really wish we could be there at this very moment, haha! Be aware to bring lots of sunscreen as it gets extremely hot and you can easily sunburn and not know it. It happened to me. And as in other reviews, do bring lots of one dollar bills. The value of the American dollar goes a long, long way down there. On a final note, we all know that tips are included, but these people work VERY hard to make our stay a comfortable one. We tipped our housekeepers who made up our rooms very, very nicely and provided us with extra towels and beverages in our mini refrigerator. The waiters at the restaurants are accomodating as well. The staff is an integral part of what makes this resort worth while. Hope to be back next year!

16  Thank EvilSugar6274
Reviewed July 25, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the GR Solaris from July 17-22, we usually take a cruise but I thought we would do all inclusive this time to see how we would like it. I booked at 4 star hotel but didnt get my hopes up because the 4 star in the US could be different than the 4 star in Mexico. It turned out to be more than I expected actually it was the best vacation I have ever had and believe me I have had a lot. Starting at the airport, the GR Solaris made it very easy for us by having the van there to pick us up. If you have ever been to the Cancun Airport you will know what I am talking about. The resort was wonderful we started to relax the minute we walked into the door. Everything was wonderful the entire 7 days, the resort was clean and the service was outstanding!!!!! The only disappointment we had was taking the time share 90 minute speech. They seemed to get very upset because we did not want to buy. Anyway, I hadnt planned to buy but we were told it would help the young lady that signed us in our room with credits if we would do it so being the soft hearted person that I am I convinced my husband to do it. Glad it was the Friday before we left on Saturday because of the pressure they tried to put on us. I highly recommend that if you are not interested DONT DO IT. That was the ONLY bad thing about the resort. The staff at this resort are wonderful and always willing to wait on you and do anything they can to make sure your vacation is wonderful. I do recommend taking dollar bills and tipping these wonderful people as you will see how very hard they all work and always with a smiling face. The food was excellent, the only problem I had was eating to much!!! And the deserts look wonderful but some had very little taste. The entertainment was great!!!! I will go back to this wonderful resort but next time I am taking my whole family to experience Cancun.
Book your excursions when you get there I had a problem with the travel agency not letting them know I had booked horse back riding and paid for it but I took care of that when I got back home.
The view from our room was breath taking and the beach was kept very clean and beautiful!!!!! Thanks GR Solaris and Cancun for such a wonderful and relaxing week!!!!!
Tips to take with you
Candles
Zip Lock Baggies (come in very handy)
Sunscreen
Tip Money (these people work very hard)
Big Bubba mugs (they keep your drinks cold for hours if you are going into the city)
Hope all has such a wonderful time as we did
Cancun and GR Solaris - SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!
We have started a Cancun fund and cant wait to get back!!!

10  Thank Gratitude
Reviewed July 25, 2006

We stayed from July 20 - 24. We liked the hotel. We saw two shows and a little cheesy but good. We did get asked to listen to the sales pitch but received a free oceanview upgrade. We had a corner room with our view being part ocean and part hotel. We were please with the maid service. We found everyone to be nice and we tipped when we saw great work. We like most of the food there were a couple buffets that we did not care for. However it was easy to go find something else to eat.

4  Thank Gilly23