“BAD FOR NON-SMOKERS - NON RESPONSIVE MANAGEMENT”
Review of GR Solaris Cancun

GR Solaris Cancun
Ranked #35 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed December 19, 2009

An all inclusive luxury resort that is NOT responsive to the needs and concerns of its guests and members. The food was OK, the shows entertaining and high energy.

Being allergic to cigarette smoke, I requested a non-smoking room. My room was bright and airy, but the hallway smelled strongly of fresh cigarette smoke. I notified the front desk and they told me that would take care of it. I reported this on Friday, the day that I checked in, twice on Saturday, again on Sunday. Each time the front desk assured us that they had taken care of it, but after 6 days of complaining on a daily basis, management has not fixed this problem. Despite their repeated assurances that they were addressing this concern and fixing the problem, there continues to be smoke throughout the non-smoking floor.

If you want a smoke free environment or to stay somewhere where management listens to your concerns, and enforces it own rules, then the GR Solaris is NOT the place for you.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (4,780)

Reviewed December 19, 2009

I had stayed at this hotel back in April and forgot to write a review, so here it is. I would definately recomment this hotel. It is a beautiful hotel with gorgeous views, and almost all the staff-including the entertainment staff, the cleaning staff and the lobby staff are very sweet and make you feel welcome..they could be an example to alot of other hotels as to what hospitality is. we did encounter lots of timeshare, but instead of grumbling on about how it was a waste of time, blah blah blah..just say no thanks and they will not push you. the manager at the hotel was very personable, and remembered us throughout our stay, and made sure to greet us and make conversation when we ran into him, he previously did try to discuss timeshare with us, but he continued to be courteous for the rest of the stay even though we refused his offers. the improvements i would suggest is the rooms could use an upgrade, for a 4-star, they are quite simple and sterile. the drinks as well could be less diluted. i failed to get even buzzed after numerous drinks. there are quite a few different options for restaurants, and i did not find the food to be as bad at all as the other reviewers.overall, i am happy and the hotel was a very positive experience, and i would recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2009

For starters let me say this is my wife and I 5th year in a row traveling to Mexico in December. We both mid-20's and enjoy drinking and eating and relaxing on vacation.
So Lets start with the Good-
Hotel layout and design-very nice compact layout with bautiful grounds and even better pool with great swim up bar and activity pool.
Rooms- very simple but clean and fuctionable, and great views!
Employees- all were very nice and helpful with smiles (sosa at the swim up bar is the best!)
The Bad-
Entertainment staff- I felt they did a very poor job, often many days they were hung over and never really got much going on until late afternoon when they wanted to repromote what club they were going back out to at night (off grounds)
The Ugly-
The male entertainment staff- I dont know what their problem was but they found it fun to make the younger in shape guys look bad. I just shook it off but one inpaticular really had it out for me( I think its because he was 5'7 and built but i am 5'11 and built) He was their to be part of the entertainment staff but he really was out for himself.
Food- Horrible taste, horrible selection, just all in all not good.

1  Thank benjohn15
Reviewed December 16, 2009

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank lee510
Reviewed December 16, 2009

My boyfriend and I had a cruise that was cancelled from Miami so we opted to go to Cancun. Due to the last minute plans the default hotel was GR Solaris. We were not able to really research, and went on the mixed reviews from Trip Advisor....I wish we would have kept looking. In all, the hotel was mediocre. First off, please let me emphasize the annoying employees who literally push you to their "time-share" presentation. It is literally a waste of a morning (8:30AM - 12PM). If you are not planning on buying, do not waste your time. On another note, the rooms were very simple, nothing great. The food was blah, not much variety. For an all-inclusive, they did not have many options, we were not able to eat at the only ONE restaurant they had that took reservations. The pool and swim up pool were nice; note, there is no beach. The night entertainment at the hotel was decent. We tried out the spa, it was just ok. I would do my research before booking at this hotel.

1  Thank AJatNyc
Reviewed December 14, 2009

We ended up with GR Solaris through Hotwire and stayed there 3 nights. This hotel may have been okay some 30 years ago, but it is definitely not a 4-star (or 5-star according to the hotel itself): it is a 2-star at best. My wife and I have traveled a lot and this hotel is definitely not a good deal from any angle. You can have good time staying here only if
a) you are old and lonely,
b) you are single 20-something and want to get laid,
c) you have never traveled anywhere and don't know any better.
In detail:
- food is stale and tasteless, lots of canned stuff and little freshly cooked food,
- room is Motel 8/Days Inn style,
- No in-room Internet,
- TVs are old and have loud buzz, so you cannot watch anything (we changed our initial room and it's the same everywhere),
- air conditioning makes high-pitch noise,
- walls are paper-thin, so you can hear your neighbors having sex or scolding children,
- alcohol is soooooo diluted, you cannot get drunk simply because you cannot consume so many mixers: you'll be overloaded with sugar and high fructose corn syrup (the included Mexican wine is vomit-inducing, really; the only option is beer, and you can have Sol, all right),
- towels are old and gross light-diarrhea color (I'm being honest).

In sum, instead of spending $130/night for two people here you can spend $100 at Marriott or similar better hotel and buy your own tequila and have lunches/dinners in town. I assume other all-inclusive places are similarly crappy.

In general, Cancun does not have good beaches (even though Solaris does have reasonable access to theocean) - the beaches are artificial with rocks showing every now and then and the ocean is way too rough most time of the year. Better go to Baja.

2  Thank rtw123
Reviewed December 11, 2009

Nice hotel, well situated, friendly staff, clean over all. But the food; so lausy, no taste. I advice the management to fire the chefs asap, and the we will be back in 11 months. Otherwise we will be back in Cancun, but definately at another hotel.

Regards