“Wonderful Hotel”

GR Solaris Cancun
Ranked #34 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Augusta, GA
Reviewed July 26, 2005

GR Solaris exceeded my expectations. The service was awesome. I would highly recommend this hotel. We were there during Hurricane Emily and they were very professional and took excellent care of us. The only thing that I can find fault with would be the thin walls, so you could hear people in the hallway and other rooms sometimes. The rooms were spotless and the hotel was beautiful. The food was plentiful and well presented.

Reviewed July 26, 2005

My wife and I booked a vacation two days prior to (July 16-24) going on vacation. There was not a large selection of hotels available, so I picked on of the newer ones, the Grand Royal Solaris. This was our first all inclusive.

Let me give you my overall impression. This is a budget, to middle of the road hotel. I think they probably cater to people who are either first timers to Cancun or are traveling on a budget, (I was tring to). We did not feel the hotel was very service friendly, in fact very rigid. They treated us like they were not expecting a return visit. We will not. As a matter of fact, we left of hotel on the 21st and booked a room at the Secrets Excellence Riviria even though our room at the GR Solaris was non-refundable. The difference between the two hotels is amazing. If you are able to spend an additional $1500/week for your vacation, your wife will make the extra $1500 worth your stay, trust me.

The Secrets Excellence Riviria is a much larger resort with rooms that are twice as big, much more elegant. The food is much better (Mexican food), service helpful and prompt. Good pools to relax, large beach. We did not have to wear wrist bands at Secrets as we did at the GR Solaris (they cost $70 at the Solaris if they are lost and you will not get anymore service unless you pay, we know)

Let me give you the specifics at the GR Solaris. Hard beds, limited room service, hospital food (except at the Marco Polo), sodas in your fridge you will not drink (diet coke sold at hotel, not stocked in your room) no beach, lot of kids and locals at the pool, loud halls. ect.

I have to say the hotel was new and clean. Some of the staff were very nice and tried to give customer service. They did keep us safe during the hurricane. If I had to go on another budget trip I would not stay at this all inclusive. I would save the $800-$1000 the all inclusive cost and eat out. It you drink, buy a bottle and mix the drinks in your room. You will get people from the Solaris asking you for a real drink.

4  Thank Txcowboyrider
Reviewed July 22, 2005

We stayed at GR Solaris July 14 to the 18th. (Yes we were there during the hurricane!) We had two ocean view rooms with huge balconies. The rooms were clean and nice and the noise level was not a problem. The things I did NOT like about the resort were: 1) slow elevators (it seemed like forever for them to come) and 2) the super hard beds, although I slept on them fine. 3) If we had been there longer, I think I may have gotten tired of the food, but there was a good variety and that would have been just me. 4) Also they only had showers and I like a nice relaxing tub. All minor things. The worst thing of all were the slippery floor tiles. A little water on them made them so dangerous and I am surprised that no one has had a bad fall. In the outdoor restaurant near the ocean, we literally had to "skate" our feet to keep from falling at two different lunches. Same thing with getting out of the shower. Just be careful. That said, I loved the resort and the people there. Pools were wonderful, drinks were free flowing and some of the friendliest people I have ever met in my life were there (staff and vacationers!). They took good care of us during the hurricane and the building held up amazingly well. I would go there again tomorrow!

3  Thank schnzr4me
Reviewed July 21, 2005

The GR Solaris is a gorgeous hotel. It has 300 rooms and was built in December 2004. The food was great, the service was excellent, everyone was friendly. The clientele at the hotel was appropriate. A female co-worker and I went with my 6-yr-old son and there was enough for all of us to do. While my son had fun at the mini-club, I got a massage and my friend drank margaritas while lounging at the 'quiet pool.'

I did not sign up for transportation when I booked the trip. We took a shuttle (van) from airport which cost $18 (I think). We shared the van with other people, but the drive is short. The fare for a taxi was going to be $42.

As far as the beds are concerned, I didn't notice if they were hard or soft as I was too busy looking out the window at the beautiful view.

Nightly entertainment was wonderful, the food selection and service was excellent. This hotel has an elegant feel to it. Go and enjoy!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Nebraska
Reviewed July 19, 2005

On day one, we checked into a dirty room with an un-stocked fridge. After many calls to the front desk we finally got moved to a new room. During the seven days we were there the fridge was completely stocked once without having to call numerous times. The walls are paper thin and if you have loud neighbors, you will not sleep. On the last night, we stayed in a dirty room because the maid service did not clean our room again and on other days it was partially cleaned. The drinks are extremely watered down. Half way through our stay, hurricane Emily hit and I do not think the staff and employees were ready to handle the situation. We were given little information and there was a lot of confused, angy guests. Tried to get compensation for the 24 hours we spent sitting in the ballroon and hallway with no drinks and limited food but the manager said "It was not his fault". At the GR Solaris, the customer comes last. How this place got a 5 star rating is beyond me. It was a GRAND ROYAL RIP OFF! The Marco Polo resturauant was probably the best thing about the GRS.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 18, 2005

My family and I just recently returned from a stay at the Grand Royal Solaris resort in Cancun. There were nine of us all together and every single one of us loved it! I am quite picky about where I stay but the hotel was beautiful and I loved everything about it.

The staff pays a lot of attention to cleanliness, there's always workers washing windows, floors and even flower pots. We weren't bothered by the timeshare speech that many others talk about. The entertainment by the pool was good. The staff really tries to get you involved and helped you have fun. Mackenzie was our family's favorite entertainer. He really went out of his way to make our visit as enjoyable as possible. Alex and Lili were also very nice and Chucho made us laugh a lot.

Our rooms (three in total) were all great with nice views of both sides of the hotel (lagoon view in one and ocean view in two). The walls weren't "paper thin" as other people have said but you could occasionally hear things from other rooms. That's a given staying in a hotel though, there are other people who you will hear sometimes.

The pool was great and the swim up bar was really convenient. The ocean was beautiful. However, it was very rough during our visit but that was probably due to the coming hurricane.

At all the bars, there were many virgin drinks available for kids but you need to specify more than once that you don't want alcohol. The breakfast buffet was our favorite meal, great food. Lunch didn't have such a wide variety but it was still pretty good. Dinner changed every night and was excellent for the adults and the kids. Some other reviews say that kids are out of luck at dinner unless they like fancy foods but that's not the case.
On our second night there we went on the Carlos and Charlie's trip with Mackenzie. It was a lot of fun, they had us dance on our chairs and sing. However, you do have to get home by yourself, but it's easy to get a bus and it's cheap. Night time shows were great. After the shows we would head over to the lobby bar where they had two singers six out of the seven nights. They were pretty good and took requests. The entertainment staff went every night and got the crowd dancing and having fun.

The Grand Royal Solaris was a great choice and I highly recommend it.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 17, 2005

We wanted to go away for our first anniversary and not spend alot of money so we were booked originally at Royal Solaris with Apple Vacations but I had an allergy attack there (too mildewy for me) so we paid a little bit more
to go to GR Solaris....very happy there ! It was new ! It was smaller with less people but more relaxing for us... pools were nice. The beach was not so great there but we liked to sit by the pool and look at the ocean. There were not that many restaurants opened since they rotated them.. they had theme and buffet nights with shows..some better than others, however, they always had one a la carte restaurant open in case we didnt want buffet which was good. Our room and bathroom were new and clean

It was an easy laid back vacation....nice place to getaway at reasonable price.

• Stayed: May 2005