Our days of travel were June 19 - 23 and we were supposed to stay at the Royal Solaris but they were over booked so we was moved to the GR Solaris. We actually liked this hotel very much. There is a mini fridge as well as an iron and hair dryer in the room.
I am rather picky with my rooms and I was pleased with the ocean view we got. It was on the 5th floor and directly behind the pool with balcony. The ac worked well. The only thing I didn't like was the shower curtin in the bathroom...the water usually ended up everywhere.
We did take a walk up to the Royal Solaris for comparison purposes and I think they have the better beach as the GR Solaris had sea weed. Not sure if this was due to the rain, but it didn't hamper us enjoying the water. Although there were postings of sea lice, we didn't experience any of it.
From what we was told, guest at the GR Solaris can enjoy use the facilities at the Royal Solaris but not the other away around.
As for the meals, we enjoyed breakfast the most. I'm rather simple with it comes to my meals and the dinner menu's just didn't do it for me. Lunch was a repeat of hamburgers every day. For dinner, the gents are requested to wear long pants but we did see men with shorts on...same for the ladies.
Service for the most part was great. No real complaints.
Regarding the gym. For those who like to work out, they have a rather nice gym with good equipment. Because of the ac, I would bring sweats to work out. It was rather cold with just shorts and a tshirt.
There was one lady doing the topless bathing thing on the beach. I didn't really mind it except she would also walk thru the resort with her breast showing...lol...to each their own, I guess. No one said anything to her, though.
We went to the Over 30 Club on Sunday and had a blast. Janet and Joe are simply the best and it was really nice meeting them.
We booked our tours over the internet before going and had a mishap with Grayline tours. We was told to meet them at the Royal Islander for our Isla Mujeres tour and they never showed. We called from the lobby and ended up having to take a cab at their expense to the marina. It rained all day Monday so just a word of caution, they do not have shelter on the boat. We were cold and soaked but still enjoyed it. Most of the people took the shuttle back to Cancun after lunch. Can't say I enjoyed or saw much of the island though...a little disappointed with that. My suggestion would be to get those light plastic rain coats (poncho style), they really came in handy.
We also booked the Caribean Cruise and it was awesome. Really good time and highly recommended.
We bought tickets for the Bull fight via Cancun care and they referred us to Best day. It took two days for the rep to show up. Not really happy with their service at all. As for the Bull fight, it is not something I'd do again.
That's about it....5 nights turned out to be long enough. We were supposed to stay 7 nights at the Tucancun. From what we heard, it was full of the younger crowd. We didn't really experience that at the GR Solaris.. maybe because it was so far away. It was pretty quiet and no slamming doors.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- GR Solaris Cancun is an all inclusive beachfront resort that offers a range of facilities and a full slate of activities daily. Guests have access to two swimming pools, a spa tub, a 22.5-Meter (74-foot) stretch of beach, and a fitness center. The hotel also has a marina, where non-motorized water sports, tennis courts, and a volleyball court are available. Other amenities include concierge services, a spa, a hair salon, and laundry facilities (no dry cleaning services). Business amenities include meeting rooms, banquet facilities, event catering, a ballroom, and business center with Internet access (surcharge for all). Three restaurants, two snack bars, and two bars are on site. Room service is available 24 hours a day. NEW Wall climbing and mini cinema Solaris. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your GR Solaris Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gr Solaris Cancun Hotel Cancun
- Solaris Cancun
- Grand Solaris Cancun
- Gr Solaris Hotel Cancun
- Gr Solaris Cancun & Spa
- Gr Solaris Cancun Mexico
- Grand Royal Solaris Cancun