“FANTASTIC,FANTASTIC,FANTASTIC!!!!”
Review of GR Solaris Cancun

GR Solaris Cancun
Ranked #35 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed March 21, 2005

I just got back 2 days ago and loved the hotel, food, entertainment and workers. I went with my 2 younger children(3 and 5) and my 63 year old mother. We all had a great experience at this new resort. My only regret was that my husband and 10 year old could not have joined us. I can't believe some of the terrible reviews. I've been to several all incl. and this one by far had the best food ( and I'm not a big mexican food lover ). Lots of variety all in one week. They even brought in Japenese chefs for one evening and boy did we enjoy the sushi. The surf and turf was perfect. The entertainment team was alot of fun especially Caesar, Milenna, and Chucho... The kids club was great - you have to LOVE Cecilia- she loves the children and pleases their every need- it's really in her heart to be with the kids - thanks Cecilia...
The live band (2 person) in the lobby bar are FABULOUS - Silvana and I don't knoe his name were incredible. Everyone is open to the children dancing and playing just having fun. For the young and young at heart who like to go clubbing well the bus would take you to a different club each night, it would leave at 11pm- it sounded like fun. If there is any down fall it was the beach area. Unfortunately it was shallow in depth - not alot of sandy area. There was still room to lounge but big waves would come in at take you and your belongings down. If you have young children - bring your their life jackets just so you can relax. Being a cautious Canadian - I had the 30 sun block and the life jackets. The pools are great for all ages ( all 3 of them). If your going to stay in Cancun do not hesitate to choose this lovely hotel. Apparently the beaches in the Mayan are a little deeper and at times calmer. From what I've learned Cancun is usually windy, oh and rainy season is late Aug- Oct. They say it's cold in December - that is if you consider 27 C cold - I don't...Have a great time and say hi to the crew. Oh one more thing, I was impressed with everyones effort to speak english, front desk and all. Mackenzie ( ent.team) is from Trail B.C. and very nice.
Have a Margarietta for me... ME from Edmonton, Ab - C A N A D A

11  Thank marla1970
Write a ReviewReviews (4,938)

Reviewed March 21, 2005

We stayed at the GR Solaris Feb.24-Mar.3. The hotel & staff definitely exceeded our expectations. The only complaint we had was the long wait to check-in.

Can't wait to go back!!!!

10  Thank blondemama
Halifax
Reviewed March 15, 2005

My girlfriend and I vacationed between Mar 6th and 13th and we certainly enjoyed our trip with some exceptions. For a new hotel, I don't understand why there is an adjoining hollow door between rooms. (Just one side) You can hear everything such as coughing, drawers opening, etc. This can be overlooked as rooms are very nice and bar fridge is refilled with beverages at no cost. The room is set up on sensors so the air will remain on when you are in the room. Smart idea from the Hotel! You can also regulate the air temperature digitally and fan speed. Very up to date! The marble floors can be very slippery if wet, so please watch it! A friend of ours sprained her foot the last day before going home. There are yellow pylons to notify slippery sections. The Management are going to pay all the medical bills(USA)! Quite nice. The staff were entertaining, friendly and very helpful in everything! The timeshare thing is a pain! Be firm! The pool can also cut your feet if you are playing volleyball or waterpolo continuously. Nothing to worry about as the surface is fairly smooth. Lots of chairs so know worries about early moring rush! The food was good to very good. I did get really sick on Friday, Mar 11. From 11pm till 8 am. I was active running to the bathroom all night vomitting, etc. I was out of commission Sat. I talked to a few other people that had the same thing....Don't know what it was but was quite sick! I took Imodium, Zantac, Pepto but nothing worked and it was not food poisoning, it was a 24 hour bug. However, the positive did outweigh the negative. Yes, I would return to the Grand Solaris.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

9  Thank Eddie S
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2005

I have been to Mexico a few times and have enjoyed all of my visits. I love the culture, the people, the country and the weather. I have never had cause to complain prior to this visit.

The Grand Solaris is new and rated a 5*, which it is not! It is a 1* at the most and I would give that rating only because it is newer than some of the other places I have stayed in Mexico.

I stayed at the GR Solaris for 2 weeks (Feb 21-Mar 6). It started out badly and ended the same way. I arrived at 3 am and I was put into an ajoining room (I specifically requested not to be put into an adjouning room when I made my reservations). The room was nice but as a female travelling alone I was not comfortable knowing that my neighbors could enter my room. I went down to request a room that was not adjoining and they put me into a corner room facing the next hotel, not a very nice view. I did not pursue this further because judging by the scenes I had witnessed in the lobby I did not think more complaining would help and I did not plan on spending a lot of time in the room.

Housekeeping came and went the first few days and all they did was make the bed and change the towels (and water on occassion). On the second day I gave the housekeeper a generous tip but that did not help. The only time my room was cleaned in 2 weeks was when I did it or on the last day of my vacation.

This hotel had overbooked and there were several scenes in the lobby. People were angry that they were being bumped to lower rated hotels. The manager did not handle these situations in private instead he chose to deal with it in the lobby of the hotel.

The staff was not helpful and in fact were actually rude at times. This is a 5* hotel, I expect to be treated as a 5* guest and this did not happen.

The food was ok, very institutional, like many all inclusives. I chose to eat out a couple of nights because it tends to be the same menu every week.

The entertainment staff were unfriendly and not very helpful. They did not go out of their way to ensure the guests were having a good time or go out of their way to be helpful. The shows were ok, when there was one.

On my last night I got in very late so I chose to go with a late check out so I could catch up on my sleep prior to my 2 am flight the next night. I was scheduled to leave the hotel at 11 pm. I went and paid for the late check out and went back to sleep. While I was trying to sleep, the front desk called me 3 times to see when I was checking out and to let me know that a late check out was $70, which I had already paid. Late check out was at 6 pm and they started calling at about 3:30 pm. The maid came to clean while I was trying to sleep and finally the Manager called and told me I had to come and pay for my late check out. Then he informed me I would have to leave so the maid could clean the room for the next guests. I refused and I stayed until 6 pm then went to check out. The person who was checking me out cut off my wristband. Without it I was not able to eat, drink, swim or hang out in the hotel until my pick up at 11 pm. He returned it to me so I could pack in my pocket all day.

The room service people were very helpful and always professional, courteous and punctual.

Omar the bellboy was excellent and always went out of his way to help. He was the most helpful person working at the hotel.

The driveway to the hotel is very steep and some of the elderly people were having a hard time getting up it.

I would never stay at this hotel again and I would definitely not recommend it to anyone I know. I would rate it a 1* only because it is new. There are so many other options in Cancun. This hotel was a waste of my money.

Of course Mexico and specifically Cancun are great and I always have a good time! This time was no exception, I just spent a lot of time away from the hotel.

My advice is to spend your hard earned money elsewhere. Other 5* hotels appreciate their guests and ensure that the needs of their guests are met and that concerns are addressed.

• Stayed: February 2005
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
WIlkes Barre, PA
Reviewed March 13, 2005

I just came back from Cancun Friday (03/11/05) and we stayed at the GR Solaris. LEt me tell u I LOVED it!! We got room service the first day for breakfast and they were very prompt. THey we're actually 15min early. The pool activities staff was very friendly and convincing. They had me in a few games. The rooms were clean although my only complaint about that is we can hear when the people in the next room are taking a shower, the phone rings, or talking. The lobby bar was a hot spot at nite if u didn't want to hit the clubs. All in all it was a five star expierence. THe staff was friendly and eager to accomidate u.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member