“Relazing Week”

Ranked #33 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Halifax, Canada
“Relazing Week”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

My girlfriend and I booked a last minute trip to Mexico for the last week of January 2014. It was a first to Mexico for both of us and we didn't really know what to expect. We found a great deal on Red Tag and away we went. We landed at the airport and neither one of us had seen sooooo many people jammed into one airport at the same time. It was like an ant farm and it took awhile to get out of there. Once we did we were shown to our van that would take us to the Grand Solaris Cancun and Spa. Check in was extremely quick and the staff was very kind and helpful. Our room was nice and with a balcony over looking the lagoon. We had 2 queen size beds, plenty of room, light, air conditioning worked fantastic, tv was a bit old and not much to watch, but that's not what you are there for. The bathroom is a big one in my books no matter where I go. Well it was nice and never had a worry about running out of hot water in the shower. The food was great and plenty of it. As for the beach .... well it was beautiful! We didn't spend any time at the pools (which were nice), we spent every day on the beach. The girls would come every day and take our drink orders ... they were super nice and took very good care of us. Loungers on the beach were plentiful so there was no need to drag yourself up at 5-6 am to claim one with a towel. If you want to go to the mall or the outdoor market it was only a 10 minute bus ride. Buses run every 3 minutes right in front of the resort. We were warned not to ever take a taxi. They had plenty of excursions you could go on, but we were there to relax and get as much sun as we could and that is just what we did. All in all it was a great place to stay. I can't complain about anything really about my stay here. Would I go back, yes I would, but there are so many resorts on that strip and may give another resort a chance just to compare. If you are looking to relax and have no worries you won't be disappointed. A word to the wise .. if you grab some lunch and take it to the beach ... cover it up ... the seagulls will circle you and try to take it. :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Karen D
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write a wonderful and detailed review! We are very glad you had a blast and enjoyed our facilities and the services especially from the beach waiters and the Front Desk staff.

Thank you for recommending us.

Hoteles Solaris de Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,075)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
North Dakota
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We just left GR today, and traveling home, this place totally met all expectations, the staff and service is the absolute best. The food was good. very hard to get a lounge chair by the pool, unless you put your towel out by 6 am to reserve it, so plan on going to the beach mostly. I was disappointed about wifi. it is 16.00 a day PER devise, therefore we had no internet for the visit, which wasn't a bad thing, the hotel will try to get you to take their 'time share tour' probably one of the lamest ones I have been to. NOTHING free, got a 50.00 credit to use at the resort. and two 30 min massages for 35.00 each, which wasn't that great of a deal. did another presentation for another resort and got a dolphin swim for our daughter and 3 passes to the aqua place where it took place all for free, all in all the place was very nice, and very clean. would like to stay there again

Room Tip: our first room was not considered a balcony, we could be out on the deck and to the left see betwee...
2 Thank ServNHim
We are happy your overall experience was good and have felt an exceptional service from all the staff. We appreciate for taking your time for writing your comments; we will take action to improve our services.

Hoteles Solaris de México
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We had a wonderful week at this resort last week. Our family of 8 enjoyed all the entertainment. Joey from the entertainment staff was head and shoulders above all others... The resort had great food, great entertainment and very clean resort and the staff bends over backward to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. "Like" the resort on Facebook and "Carla" the social co-ordinator gets back to you and answers any questions we had before we arrived. She is amazing. Rigo cleaned and decorated our room everyday.... he did a wonderful job. Oh, the drinks were plentiful and there was never any hesitation in getting drinks and food. Loved this resort. Would go back next year. My two grandkids had a blast.... activities everyday and a very safe ... the beach was very clean and the ocean was aqua blue.

Room Tip: Check out "Carla" on GR Solaris's Facebook page.
2 Thank ChesterWindsor
It is an honor to read how our staff members did everything in their hands to assure you a memorable experience. We are so glad you enjoyed the facilities and our services, also that your grandkids had a blast at the Mini Club.

We are looking forward to welcoming you in a near future and pamper you as you deserve

Hoteles Solaris de México
Winona, Minnesota
Reviewed March 18, 2014

My fiance and I booked this hotel on Expedia just 8 weeks before we left (March 10-17th). We've traveled to various areas of Mexico 5 times now and always do All Inclusives. Because we only booked 8 weeks ahead of time and had to pay in full right away (We usually use a travel agent to make payments 6-8 months in advance), our biggest concern was cost. I always research using trip advisor, and I love it. So to begin, this hotel was awesome, in most areas, for the cost. The rooms are nice and we usually upgrade to an ocean view, which is what we did when we got there. It was, however expensive. Usually for our 10 day vacations we only have to pay about 140 for an ocean view upgrade but for our 8 day vacation, we had to pay $224 to upgrade. Not that big of a deal, but it was a little bit more than we would have liked- it was worth it though! Most of the rooms you get face the building next door without a balcony - didn't look nice. Staff here is absolutely wonderful, for the most part. Some of the bartenders are kind of crabby without a smile - but they put up with a lot and we were both SHOCKED that very few people tipped. Sometimes at the pool bar we'd give the bartenders a $5 here and there because they gave great service and dealt with so many drunk people not tipping - a dollar here and there goes a long way but I understand not everyone thinks to tip?? The entertainment staff are AMAZING. You can tell they truly love their jobs and we spent most days by the big pool enjoying all the entertainment and BINGO. They do great work - we even tipped them from time to time when they worked their butts off to get us a great table at the club or when Joey took us kayaking in the lagoon. Food is good. There is a great variety and the Reservation restaurant Marco Polo is very delicious. We ate there a few times and even got in without a reservation by checking frequently throughout the evening to see if a group didn't show up! Aly was so sweet. Buffets were standard and of course Breakfast is totally the best! I am not sure what happened, however I did come down with food poisoning for two and a half days. I did my best to power through it, but it was pretty unbearable at times. (And I'm a nurse so I'm quite aware) We had only been eating at the hotel before this happened and I did read some other reviews with people getting food poisoning. It's just hard to say though. Our biggest complaint is the completely awful drinks that can come out of the bar. I think the frozen drinks for the most part were good, however the mixed drinks (I like vodka & cokes) were absolutely horrendous. We broke down and paid $65 for two bottles of Absolute on day 3 because we could not do it anymore. The tequila (Jose) is pretty light and it is obvious that they water down the bottles of booze, or something like that. That was pretty disappointing. I've never experienced such awful drinks, but my fiance would tell you he thought it was about the same compared to the other hotels we've stayed at. The beer was decent. People get up at least around 6 or 7AM to put towels on their chairs by the big pool and may not return for hours upon hours but that's pretty standard everywhere you go. I wish people wouldn't do that but there were always plenty of chairs at the beach - just not shade. The nightly shows were great and we watched many, which was something we usually don't do and the live music in the lobby bar is also very good! All in all this was a nice resort but I would definitely not return due to the drinks. Most of the vodka drinks (Smirnoff bottles, apparently) tasted like gin, rum, tequila and dirty water combined. It was really too bad and I love to enjoy my drinks of vacation. Besides that well kept hotel with good-great staff!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gingies
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2014

This was our first stay at Gr Solaris in Cancun during March 9-16. The property is a good 4 star. The hotel is a nice size for a family with young children as it is quick to the restaurants, kids club, pools and beach. The staff are mostly friendly. The guests were mostly friendly. This was during Spring Break and unfortunately there were some American college kids who did not read in advance that this is a family resort. This was said directly in front of me.."I didn't travel halfway across the country to see *racist Chinese slur* kids". I was in university once too and I get that it is not cool to hang out with families when you want to look cool smoking, drinking and swearing when there is a 6 year old floating by you. It didn't ruin my vacation, but it did serve as a lesson to be conscious of where you stay during American spring break. The food was pretty good. The kids ate well and were not sick. The adults however did get a little sick and had to watch what we ate. Overall, had a great trip.

Room Tip: ocean front rooms are lovely. they are by the quiet pool.
1 Thank cdnmarchbreak
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I went to cancun and stayed in GR Solaris for 4 nights. The service there is amazing. The food is wonderful. Furthermore, I love the beach.
I want to mention is my favorite waiter Julio Picaso. He is considerate and friendly.
In all, GR Solaris is a awesome place!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wenlin S
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Our family stayed for a week at the GR Solaris and we couldn't have asked for a better vacation. The entire staff are very friendly and helpful. We got upgraded to a better room upon arrival in order to accommodate all of us (we were a party of 4 but had somehow been booked for a room with 1 King bed). The hotel is incredibly clean and beautiful inside and out. The service is the very best, we always found that staff had a smile on their face. Entertainment was a hit, with the pool staff keeping us happy all day long. Our favorite entertainer was Beto, he was sweet and patient with our 10-year old, funny, and very helpful to all of us. The rest of the entertainers were great as well. The shows in the evening were awesome; we especially loved the generations show. Overall it was a very smooth, enjoyable week in a place where we were made to feel at home. We didn't want to leave, and we will definitely be back!

1 Thank Lambi13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#75 of 175 in Cancun
Grand Oasis Palm
Grand Oasis Palm
#49 of 175 in Cancun

Been to GR Solaris Cancun? Share your experiences!