“Thank You Rafael and Miguel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of GR Solaris Cancun

GR Solaris Cancun
Ranked #32 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Burlington, Vermont
“Thank You Rafael and Miguel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

A big thank you to life guards Rafael Hernanderio and Miguel Jimenez, who rescued me from the surf after I drifted out too far. I was very glad this resort has well trained life guards when the need arose.

The hotel itself is terrific. Only complaint was the long wait to check in after a 2 hour wait to clear customs. So they need more front desk staff. But apart from that I'd say this is a very well run operation, and I enjoyed myself. Terrific resort and hotel.

Room Tip: Go for an ocean view room, not a lagoon room view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Matt M
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
We are very happy you had an amazing time at our Resort. We thank you for mentioning the great job our lifeguards, Rafael and Miguel, made, we will happy inform our General Manager.

Regarding the Reception service, we had completed our staff so we can offer a better service.

We hope you visit us again in the near future.

Hoteles Solaris de Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,056)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

I stayed at the GR Solaris Cancun from Feb 6th- 14th and this was my 4th time staying at the GR Solaris Cancun I have had nothing but amazing things to say about the GR solaris until this trip.
I was told this trip that the Gr is under new ownership, I'm not sure if that is true or not but by the end of the week it was obvious that the GR is headed in a new direction that is opposite the direction that has made me a loyal guest to the resort for many years.

1. During checkout, I was unjustly charged for 11 hours of internet use in my room that was never used. I was told that to use the internet I had to enter my room number and last name and accept the GR internet policy. that never happened and was told I was lying and would not be allowed to check out with out with out paying the false charges. They then told me they would only accept my credit card as payment and that they would not accept cash or pesos. they also said that they needed to take a photo copy of the front and back of my credit card to verify the funds, To which I said no!
I was then told that I would not be able to checkout with out paying for this false charge.
After waiting 20 minutes for the manager who was in a meeting and decided not to show up??? big surprise, and not letting them have and copy my credit card I realized that If they were not going to let me sign out I could potentially miss my flight. I told them that I would pay the false charge in cash or pesos if they would allow me to checkout and make my flight they then wanted to photo copy my passport and drivers license because the bank required those to deposit cash or pesos! to which I said no! and finally after way too long I was allowed to pay cash and check out! I'm not sure what the goal of all this was but don't let this happen to you. I wasn't the first or the only person to feel this way. As we were checking in the family in front of us was checking out and having the same problem and as I was checking out the couple next to me had a Issue as well. If you stay here remember they do not need to copy your credit card front and back and they do not need to copy your passport or drivers license for any reason!

2. they now give "members" different colored towels, wristbands and had at least 4 special members only meals during our week there. It seems like the GR is aiming to serve the members first and the regular guests second. Not how it used to be and not a good way to get return visitors.

3. After the front desk false fee fiasco and in a mad rush to get everything out of our room we forgot one of our wallets in the safe and didn't realize it until we were at the airport. I called the GR today and was told that they had the wallet but they would not do anything with it or help in any way to have it shipped back. I asked if I arranged a UPS pick up for it would they be wiling to put the wallet in and envelope for the UPS driver to which they replied no.

It is very unfortunate that this is happening at a place that has been so very great in the past! the program staff, bartenders, and servers are still top notch and made our week great but the front desk staff's customer service and sketchy fees and credit card policies were enough to convince me to write this small novel about my most recent experience at the GR Solaris

Very disappointed

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
17 Thank kyle h
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Please accept our deepest apologies for the inconveniences you had during your stay. We have had changed our administration however regarding the dollars change is due to Mexico’s government regulations. It is recommended that all travelers bring Mexican pesos as well as their credit and/or debit cards to minimize any inconvenience the exchange cap at banks may cause. Also all our guest’s information is protected by law; if you wish for more information please visit our website.
About the internet charge misunderstanding we asked our General Manager to adjust it as an act of good faith.
Finally, we do offer to return our guest’s forgotten belongings via FedEx we apologize for the misinformation. We invite you to contact via email: info@hotelessolaris.com .We will be happy to follow up your request.

Ellington, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

Just came back from 6 wonderful days at GR Solaris. The weather was perfect. This was our second time going there and this time we brought 13 people with us!!! We didn't have the best room ( it had 2 beds instead of 1 and faced the neighboring hotel) but we really only needed the room to sleep. The food was good, always had a variety to eat. Never ending drinks. Never saw the bottom of the glass. Bar tenders and wait staff were excellent. Big shout out to Manuel and Benjamin at the swim up bar....always had a beer or my favorite drink waiting when they saw me cross the pool. We brought our 10 year old daughter this time and she had a blast in the kids club. The activities and staff were great. Miss Karen and Miss Karla really go all out for the kids. The entertainment staff was the best!!! Zumba with Jona was great, Bingo every day around the pool and they way the crew made you laugh and have fun is great. Ali took care of us when we went to the Glo party at Senor Frogs!!! That was an awesome party!!! Ray, Kevin, Sandy and Beto made pool side and night shows the best entertainment on the strip!!! Our room was cleaned everyday. The hotel overall was very clean. The staff really goes out of their way to make you feel welcome. We even met up with Jair from last year who was our awesome pool bar bar tender inside this time making breakfast smoothies. He met us for the first time last year and remembered us this time!!! Really great people all around. The only few complaints are: not enough tv channels in English and the breakfast carts rolling down the tile hallways so early in the morning delivering room service other than those we had no complaints!!!

Room Tip: Get a room with ocean view- Well worth the upgrade!!!!
3 Thank TracyB752
SolarisHotels, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay at GR Solaris Cancun. It is great to hear that you had lots of fun with the entertainment and also your kids at the Mini Club. We will inform our staff your comments.

Thank you for your suggestions we will inform the managers in charge to take action.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

We had a great family time. No complains. Everything was just perfect. My kids enjoyed and loved the kids club. Special thanks to Karen, karla and any for taking such a good care of them and for being always happy to help us and watch the kids

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank Shirly80
Thank you very much for writing your review of your stay at GR Solaris. We are very happy your kids love the Mini Club.
The Solaris staff works very hard every day to make our guest's stay a memorable one.

Hoteles Solaris de México
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

We had a very nice time at GR Solaris. The service was great!

Maria at the Front Desk was very helpful and friendly, especially after all we've been through before our arrival (flight cancellations due to a bad weather - both ways).

We had a beautiful room with a spectacular view, the TV set is in need of update. :-)

The food is for every taste and surprisingly not much junk food. You can literally find something to eat 24 hours a day at this resort. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner buffet always had a huge selection of food. Marco Polo's French menu dinner was not impressive.

Professional entertainment, provided every night. All dancers were great, different costumes for each performance, worth watching!

The water from the bottles, provided by hotel is not the best quality. Don't drink water from the tab, even if advised that it's safe to drink....We've used a water tester and reading was horrific: 233 from bottle and 527 from tab. For instance, Poland Spring water is measured at 27. You can purchase a bottled water from the store downstairs (Cristal - tested 33).

Clean hotel, great staff, delicious food!!!

2 Thank Tripreview2013
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Just came back from the GR Solaris (Feb 8-15) and I have nothing to complain about. It's clean, choice of food is great. The staff Luis, Martin Pech, Carmen and all of the others who served us (too many to remember their names) are excellent. They are always pleasant and they really try hard to make your stay an excellent experience. GR Solaris thank you for making our stay an excellent one.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank TravellerOttawa
Thank you for writing your comments of your stay at our Resort. We are so happy to hear that your stay was Excellent.

Mansfield, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

We were at the Gr Solaris the week of Febuary 8 -15 2014 and we had a very good time. We haved stayed there several times and this week ended up being one of the best times. When we arrived we were greeted by the friendly staff. Maribel checked us in and she very sweet and helpful and went above and beyond to make our vacation as nice as possible. When I told her we have stayed there before she upgraded us to a nice ocean view room and gave us T shirts. The entertainment staff was great like aways. The food was pretty good but there is room for improvement. Overall our vacation was everything we hoped it would be and we will be going back.

2 Thank Shirley T
It is wonderful to hear that our repeater guest's enjoy again their stay with us. We are very happy you liked the upgrade and the t-shirts.
Your feedback is very important therefore it helps to improve our services.

We are looking forward to see you soon.

Hoteles Solaris de México