“Entertaining!”

Ranked #32 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Kansas City
“Entertaining!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

My son (13) and I just returned....June 8-15th. We arrived to a short wait on our room availability (approx. 1 hour). Room was clean and kept that way by our outstanding cleaning person...Ramona (thank you!). Our fridge was always well stocked...even after I asked for the pop to be removed and replaced with water.
We enjoyed the pools and the entertainment. I think the pool wait staff (Odelly, Mary and Betty) were awesome. They work hard all day, everyday. I never had to leave the pool or my chair for beverages....so relaxing!!
Food was available and choices (if you're willing to try new things) are bountiful.
My favorite was breakfast in the 'cafeteria' .....this is where service comes with BIG smiles and outstanding service. Thank you to: Cen and Gilberto. We also visited Marco Polo (reservation required and appropriate dress attire) where we were treated like ROCKSTARS!!! Vermon was exceptional in his attentiveness and delivery. Serving a 'fancy' dinner to a 13 year old is no easy task and he nailed it! Made my son feel special and for that I am ever grateful.
Shows in the evening were good -- especially Saturday night ...Michael Jackson impersonator.
Overall.....I would go back and my son never ran out of things to do...even with just the two of us going.

Room Tip: I think others have said that you can hear between rooms. I only heard very loud people in the hallw...
2 Thank Jeanie T
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are glad you had a pleasant stay with us. Thank you for pointing out our staff specially Ramona, Odely, Mary, Betty, Cen y Gilberto.
We hope to see you back in a near future !

Best Regards,
^T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,056)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Everything here is clean and the staff is extremely nice and helpful. Our room is clean but the bed is VERY hard and the A/C is a bit under powered. The walls between the rooms are definitely too thin as we were woken each night by our neighbors coming in and talking and laughing. The food is good but not great "cruise ship style". We came to dive but the trip from Cancun to Cozumel was about 3-4 hours, so we did dive with Aqua World in Cancun and it was a pretty good dive. The staff on the boat was fantastic. While it was good, I probably won't be back just because I prefer better diving.

Room Tip: No, but bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.
3 Thank James A
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are happy to know your stay with us was pleasant. On your next visit do not hesitate to ask for a top foam matress at the front desk.
We are sorry about any inconvenience experienced during your stay.

Key Largo, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

The hotel and staff were really good. If I would've paid more money, then I would expect a nicer hotel. With that in mind, the only issues we had were the room was always damp from the humidity, you can hear everything in the hallway & next door rooms, and the food was ok, not great. The hot tub was really big and nice, I give that 5 stars. And 24 hour room service is always nice. We went all inclusive, which is the only way to go. I will probably try a better hotel next time, and will be paying more money for it though.

Room Tip: I recommend choosing an ocean view room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We are glad your stay with us was pleasant. Your comments are very important to us. We will inform our General Manager about your suggestions. We hope to see you back in a near future so you can experience our improvements !

Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

After several trips to Mexico, I can honestly say that this was the worst resort we've stayed in. I would not recommend it to anyone. The resort overall is just ok, we won't be going back. It seemed nice when we arrived but that all changed from the moment we got to our room. I'll break it down as follows:

Resort common areas: Ok, generally clean but not the best we've been to by far. I would see spills in main areas and halls that would go days without being attended to. Soap dispenser in the lobby bathroom went empty for 2 1/2 days, yuck. A lot of the furniture in common areas smelled awful, musty and dirty. There were ants in several areas of the bar and lobby. Tables in the lobby bar were rarely wiped and therefore sticky. After a few days of rain the resort had leaks everywhere and significant damage in some areas.

Staff: More often than not, the staff seemed disinterested and sometimes annoyed if you asked for anything. There were the few occasions that we had a very friendly and helpful staff member but it was definitely more the exception than the rule. Do not use the nail services in the spa! Short staffed, and seriously under skilled nail technicians that didn't speak ANY English.

Room: Outdated and smelled of smoke. We complained about the smoke but nothing was ever done. The beds were hard as a rock and the pillows were so soft they were almost non-existent. The room we were in had an adjoining door with a significant gap at the bottom and we could hear every noise that our neighbor made. The cleaning crews were unbelievably loud very early in the mornings. It was not uncommon to be woken up at 7:30-8:00 a.m. by the sounds of the housekeepers moving furniture around to clean a room or speaking loudly to each other across the hallways. There is almost no sound barrier to the main hall so you hear EVERYTHING.

Entertainment: This was probably the highlight of the whole trip. They do have nightly shows in the main ballroom that were all very entertaining and appropriate for all ages. It rained most of our trip and the activities staff made trivial attempts at keeping the guests happy during the tropical storm. Pool is ok, seemed generally clean, a couple of small shallow areas for kids.

Food: Finding good food was not easy at all. The best meals we had were in the main ballroom before the shows and they were just ok. The themed buffets were dismal at best. You might find a few items that looked fresh and actually tasted good, but overall you find a lot of the same foods over and over. Room service menu is limited but had a few items that were pretty good. The club sandwich, fajitas and guacamole were the few items that we seemed to enjoy the most. Do not eat the hamburgers, they are awful!! Note that there is a nightly option in one of the restaurants that require reservations and a dress code. Long pants, no t-shirts, closed toe shoes.

5 Thank milehighco
We are sorry we could not fulfill your expectations. Your comments are very important to us because it is through them that we can improve our guest's experience. We are happy you liked our shows. We will inform our General Manager about your suggestions.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed at GR Solaris June 3-7 and it was amazing. We came on a really rainy day but the workers did amazing at keeping everyone still entertained. The pool, beach, rooms were super clean. Food was good, just wish certain foods were a little warmer. The people that work there are seriously the nicest and helpful people EVER! Ramon at the towel hut gave us soooooo much information on what to do and he was the most honest person when it came to certain things. The waiters are great. I told my cousin about GR Solaris and she just booked her flight/hotel right now and leaves tomorrow morning! The only thing that I did not like about the hotel was someone from a different room kept prank calling my room. Not the hotels fault, but I wish the staff could be able to see what room called me. I am coming back to GR Solaris and Cancun in January with my whole family. I can not wait!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. We are happy to know you had an amazing stay with us. Thank you for pointing out our staff specially Ramón. We hope to see you back in a near future !

Warm Regards,
Bowie, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Trip dates to Cancun, Mexico were June 7 -June 11, 2013. I am very very picky with the type of hotel I stay in. I do not like mildew in the showers. GR Solaris Cancun did not have any mildew in the showers, which was excellent. The bathroom was very clean. The room was alittle small but it was very clean. Great room for two people. We didn’t go to Cancun to be in the room all day so this did not matter with the room size. Just needed a nice clean place, mildew and bug free to lay our heads.
Every restaurant on the resort had excellent food. I have been to Cancun several times and this resort had the best food that I have had in Cancun. The beach was very clean. The pool area was very clean.
I would recommend this resort to friends and family. I hope the service stay the same or only improve.
Very friendly staff. Thank you GR Solaris Cancun staff, I needed this wonderful time away from the Washington DC area. A great hotel and great staff can only help the vacation. What a great vacation at GR Solaris Cancun. Thank you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We are glad to know your stay with us was pleasant. Thank you for pointing out our food and service. We hope to see you back in a near future !

Warm Regards,
Stuart
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

THIEVES! I took my family of five to Cancun for a week at GR Solaris. The highlight of our trip was going to be swimming the whale sharks. I booked the trip through the hotel on Thursday for a Monday adventure. Unfortunately nature didn’t cooperate. They called our room on Sunday to tell us that Monday’s trips were cancelled since there were no whale sharks in the area after the recent heavy rains. We were disappointed but had plenty of other activities to fall back on. We were asked to bring our reservation slip back to the trip counter, so they could cancel it. At that time we were told that it had not been billed to our credit card, but had only been posted as a room charge, which would be removed. That would have been fine, but then they decided to rip us off. We were checking out of the hotel on Tuesday morning at 5:45 am with our airport transportation waiting when I was asked to sign the credit card slip for our incidentals. And there it was – about $1,000.00 charged for the cancelled trip. I explained (calmly at first) that the trip had been cancelled (by them - not us) and that charge should be removed. They told me that they had no record of the cancellation and that I would be required to sign for the charges. I refused to sign and things got ugly. I asked to have the police called since I didn’t know how to do it myself. They said they would but they didn’t. Since we were in danger of missing our flight I told them that we were getting on the bus, and I wouldn’t be signing anything. At that point they ran out to tell the driver to refuse our passage to the airport which we had already paid for! The driver then left us standing there with our luggage and took the other guests to the airport. By now I had called American Express and explained the situation to them since I was being shaken down for a thousand bucks by these thieves. After the bus had left and we continued to argue and they finally agreed to separate the whale shark excursion from my other charges if we would agree to sign for the legitimate charges. We have no problem paying for champagne, spa services and legitimate charges so we agreed to that. Then we had to get a taxi and pay another $60 which the hotel of course refused to compensate us for. As of this writing I have no idea what exactly will be charged to my card. There were other instances throughout the week where we were ripped off on charges but this review is too long already. In summary: Not only should you not stay here – these guys should be investigated and shut down. Anything they say to refute this is a blatant lie. Don’t fall for it.

14 Thank ManateePocketman
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Your opinion is very important to us. Its is through your comments that we can find ways to improve our service. We are deeply sorry about the inconveniences experienced during your stay with us. We understand the disconfort this caused you and we apologize about the lack of communication we had. We will of course reinburse you the amount spent in transportation. Please contact us to: info@hotelessolaris.com to make the necessary arrengements.