“Our little slice of paradise.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of GR Solaris Cancun

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
GR Solaris Cancun
Ranked #32 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Sterling Heights, Michigan
“Our little slice of paradise.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband & I just got back from an amazing week @the GR Solaris.(April 14th-19th) It was everything I had anticipated and more. We really enjoyed the shows, pool bar was the place to be during the day and the Karoke bar at night. We made some great friends from Wisconsin, who by the way the staff immediately recognized and knew them by name. That to me says a lot. By the time we left, we too felt like family. The room was always spotless, the staff was very friendly and always cleaning something.The drinks were great, the pools were wonderful. They had always had something going on at the activity pool. (those guys really worked hard to entertain either at the pool or in the shows at night, or take a group to the clubs)The adult pool was nice & relaxing, the beach was absolutely beautiful. I would highly recommend staying at the GR. We are looking forward to returning next Spring.

Room Tip: we were on the 6th floor we had a side balcony view of the ocean......Beautiful in the morning w/a c...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for your review regarding your stay in our hotel. We are pleased that your holiday in our hotel was pleasing.

We hope you will come back and visit us soon

Best regards,
^C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,043)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Big Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

To begin with we were booked with Royal Solaris which is their sister hotel, we arrived and they had our room available but were MAXED out so they offered to switch is to GR SOLARIS for FREE!! Which is a big upgrade. When we arrived we were greeted at the door with smiles and a friendly atmosphere and drinks. Checking in was super fast and easy, our room was available right away and our bags were brought up to our room.
The beds are a bit dated, but comfortable. We had a semi view of the ocean, the ocean view is amazing and would highly recommend that, we had a friend who had an ocean view. The fridge is stocked with water, beer and pop. Its re-filled daily without questions. Our rooms TV didnt work, someone was up with 2 minutes and carried in and out 3 TV's until he found one that worked!!! Off to the pool, its amazing, great lay out, pool side bar is awesome, snack bar outside was great food (Burgers, fries, hot dogs, pizza) aka munchie food. The only complaint of the pool is the bottom of it. its made with tiny pebble stones and after a week your feet will hurt. I suggest water shoes if possible. Also hurts to sit on the bar stools in the water. The ocean is literally 10 steps from the hotel. Great beach, very clean.
The entertainment staff goes ABOVE and BEYOND to keep the daily activities going and keep everyone entertained. Ray and Jennifer are so entertaining. Its so nice everyone learns you're name and makes you feel at home. I could go on and on about the staff and this place. It truly was an amazing vacation.
The food was the only downfall. it wasn't horrible by any means it was just so-so. Marco Polo is a very upscale restaurant that you have to make reservations for. You have to be in line downstairs by about 745am. Reservations start at 8am and they are normally booked by 815am. Long pants required for men. All of the other restaurants are buffet style. There is always something to eat, 24 hour room service. We highly recommend the Deli, it opens outside after the pool bar closes at 5pm. Very good warm deli sandwiches. All in all amazing vacation, going back sooner, rather than later. :-)

1 Thank Missmal1315
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
We are glad you had a pleasant stay with us ! thank you for pointing out our staff specially: Ray and Jennifer. We are improving our services in the variety and quality of the menus.
We hope to see you again in a near future so you can experience our improvements.
Thank you for your comments.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

My experience with the GR Solaris was great. It's not the way I normally travel but if you like the drinking, the pool, entertainment staff who keep volleyball games and all sorts of things going, then it is the place to be.
The staff were all helpful, friendly and happy for me to use my broken Spanish on.
I don't have any negative comments to make about the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We are glad you had a great stay with us. We hope to see you again in a near future so you can keep speaking spanish ! :)

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was my first trip to Cancun, and I basically just wanted to relax by the pool, on the beach, and see Chichen Itza. Mission accomplished! The staff was very friendly and mostly on the spot when you needed anything. I had a lagoon view room with whirlpool tub on the balcony. The view and sunsets were lovely, though I only used the tub once, so I wouldn't get one again. Everything was very clean and the room was large and comfortable, except that the bed was too hard for me. I called the desk after the first night and they sent up a mattress pad which made sleeping much better.
The food at the buffet restaurants was very good and there was a large selection. As others have noted, the Marco Polo is the only non-buffet restaurant, and you need to get to it early (8AM) to get a reservation. We dined there twice, Mediterranean and Oriental nights. To me, both were disappointing and not worth the effort to get the reservation, though my wife enjoyed the Mediterranean food. I'd stick with the buffets. Best buffet choices: any fruits (all fresh and delicious), the breakfast omelets bar (grab ingredients off the buffets and don't limit yourself to what's by the station), bacon wrapped scallops, the tacos with the meat carved from rotating roast. I'm not a big drinker, but I had several varieties of Margarita and all were quite tasty though not very strong.
The pool area and beach were all clean and comfortable. Go down early (by 8AM) and reserve chairs with your towels if you want to get ones with umbrellas or any shade. You can always move to a full sun chair periodically, get you fill of rays, and come back to your shaded chair. Make sure to bring plenty of sunblock since a small tube at the hotel store is $20.
I didn't go with plans to do much touristy stuff. Chichen Itza is a long all day trip, but the site is worth seeing. We took the deluxe trip with drinks on the bus, a stop at Valladoid for lunch, and a stop at a cenote. Chichen Itza - excellent; Valladoid lunch and short siteseeing - OK; cenote - interesting just to see it. Note that it will be hot, so go prepared. We also went to Market 28 downtown. Take the R-2 bus for less that a dollar. and walked to El Rey Ruins about 5 minutes from the hotel. Get a tour from Sergey, an 81 year old man who really knows the place. He really talks a lot, so you kind of have to get him to move on. You'll see a lot of iguanas at the site.

Room Tip: Lagoon view was excellent for the sunsets. Whirlpool tub on the balcony is OK if you plan on using i...
1 Thank IvanOsokin
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We are glad you had a pleasant stay with us. It is through your feedback that we can find new ways to improve our guest's experience. We hope to see you again in a near future !

Jamestown, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Well, most of the reviews are correct in what you get.... After being to Cancun 4 times and different resorts I have a better than average feel for what resort measure up to. First, no issues with arrival as it was quick and easy plus they had our room ready which is a first!!! The rooms were a bit dated but from what I hear it depends on what room you bought!!! The rooms and bathroom were spotless!!! Super clean daily and anything you need the maid made sure you got it taken care of. The rooms were nice and cold and after being in the sun all day it was nice!!! The beds are hard if you back problems. Okay, the Good points ( Pools, clean, friendly, nice grounds, bar, Deli,coffee bar) Now, for what I think was bad!!! The food wasn't all that great at any of the restaurants and yes you can find something to eat but after a day it wasn't very good at all. I had a upset stomach first time ever to Cancun,.. So, Pesto is all I can say!!! Even the Snack bar food wasn't good and that's normally my stand-by!!! Rosamaries was good for lunch but that was the only high point in eating but you can find something made fresh. Marko Polo's wasn't worth my time as the food was warm at best and it was suppose to be by a chef but after owning 2 restaurants any Chef or cook on that level wouldn't serve warm food... The Beef steaks were good though and that was the only good thing on my plate as the seafood was okay at time.... I know most of youwould say, I'm being picky but I will eat anything and have been around the world but when it lacks flavor and it's not warm then your not going to be happy!!! I promise!!! The Ugly was the room walls were thin and you can hear everything even across the hallways..... I'm use to noises but when you can hear everything even over your T.V.from the next room then the walls are thin....

The Ugly.... to many people get fried on the first day and getting sick from the sun!!!

Things to bring
Sun hat
50 plus Spray on suntan lotion
Off Bug spray for evening meals outside... The Mosquitoes are biting!!!
Good Sandals
Pepto Bismol for you stomach but you can buy it at the gift shop
Boca Towel Clips as it's windy for you towels or drying out your clothes
$100 in one dollar bills for tipping, and gifts downtown. Small money is better there!!!
Sketcher sandals for walking and bring socks for blisters
Bring snacks for day trips and the airplane!!! Pringles, chex mix, lance crackers
Ziplock bags for trips and keeping your stuff dry
Gatorade or energy drink mix for the day after drinking.
Bubba cup for bar drinks
Don't over pack as the airlines will charge $25 per bag and you want room for souvenirs...

DON"T bring expensive Jewelery or anything your willing to lose!! Our maids were great I totally trusted them but the airlines lost my bag and someone when through it. So, anything can happen!!!!

This resort is clean and good for all range from couples to families but just like any resort the Alcohol is everywhere day and night!!! It's a party all the time there it seems!!! If I can help anyone let me know!!!!

Room Tip: Oceanview was great and don't waste your money on Oceanfront but the layout of hotel puts most r...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Djiboutitraveler
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We appreciate your comments because it is through them that we can find new ways to improve our guest's exprience. We are improving our services in the variety and quality of the menus. We are sorry about inconvenients encountered during your stay.
We hope to see you again in a near future

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time to cancun and had a blast. Great food, entertainment, and right off the beach. We walked out our hotel door straight into the water. The price was right and u can't go wrong. Cant wait till we go again next year and we arw definitely stay here. The rooms were incredible and u can't go wrong with them view each day. On either side of the hotel. And I can't say enough about the staff. Just a remarkable hotel. Can't wait to get back and I recommend it to everyone

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank kylerowlands
Thank you for your nice comments about our Hotel, it is so nice to know that you had a great stay with us, we look forward to have you and your family again !

Grand Blanc, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

This was our first time to stay at this place. It was so really nice , and the food was really really good. they had all kinds of fun game's for the kid's and they kelp us older people happy with thing's to do also. The dinner show's were great and alot of fun. the waiter's always put fun into your meal's. This hotel as 24 hour room service and a deli to die for it was open from 4.30 p.m. to 6.30 a.m. the drink's were good also. they also kelp you ice box full in your room too.
the pool's were great also. you will have alot of fun at this hotel.

Room Tip: The room we had was on the frist floor and it was really nice.
2 Thank cancunlovers127
Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Your comments are very important for us. We are glad you had a pleasant stay with us, thank you for pointing out our service and activities.
We hope to see you again in a near future !