To start this off we have been traveling to Cancun and the Riveria Maya at least once a year since 1999. We have stayed at this resort's sister resorts in Cancun 5 times and as recent as the last week of October 2012 when we tried to book this resort and our travel agent booked us into the GR Caribe by mistake. This mistake turned into one of our best trips but my wife was still disappointed because she really wanted to try the GR Solaris. Since she is retired she was relentless in convincing me to go back to Mexico quickly and try the this resort. We arrived o find out that our room reservation for a room with a king size bed was was not honored and we were put in a room with 2 doubles with a promise that they would try to move us the next day. When we got into our room we were extremly disapointed. The view from are balcony was the windows of the corridors of the next building about 50 yards away. Sorry this is not what you expect at a 5 golden apple resort in Mexico. We went early in the morning to see about the room switch and all they had was a room with a lagoon view so we got lucky and did not need to stare at the building next door for 7 days. While at the front desk there were 2 couples complaining about machinery noise that was keeping them up all night and they were told that there would be an upcharge to move their rooms. At this point we felt lucky but that changed at 7 PM when the machinery noise started. The noise and vibration was terrble and started every night at the same time and continued all night. Here is a hint don't accept a room on or close to the south side of the building. We read other reviews about the thin walls and being able to hear everything in the adjoining rooms well it is very true so we had machinery and noisy kids all week. THE beds and pillows are hard, hard, hard.
Disappointments: no free WiFi this is provided at the sister resorts, dinner at the Marco Polo-expect to pay extra for steak and other entrees (never had to do this before), when the resort is crowded the restaurants are not big enough especially at breakfast. We had to stand in line and wait for seating 3 mornings until they realized that they needed to open another restuarant
and there are not enough servers to keep up( the servers are very good; there are just not enough), it was not uncommon to run out of dishes glasses and food during breakfast also, we were told that we were not allowed to have any premium types of alcohol. We never ran into this before in a resort of this rating, another funny thing about the alcohol, I do like to drink my share but this was the first time I could not even get a buzz unless I drank beer. There were no areas of the resort where us baby boomers could go in the evening to spend some quiet time sipping a drink and holding a conversation. My wife's one piece of luggage did not make our flight from Houston to Cancun. We could not get anyone from management to help us track or expedite getting her luggage to the resort. They left us on our own and we have never experienced this lack of effort to help a guest.
Good: the evening shows are far above average and enjoyable, the food quality was very good for an all inclusve, the servers were very good just not enough of them. The resort is very clean and the cleaning staff that does the rooms are very good, the pools and hot tub are clean warm and nice, the adult pool area is very quiet yet 50 feet away there is ample entertainmet and activities at the other pools.
Also, if you go to this resort, you DO NOT have priveleges to go to the other sister resorts down the street. (GR Caribe and Royal Solaris)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- GR Solaris Cancun is an all inclusive beachfront resort that offers a range of facilities and a full slate of activities daily. Guests have access to two swimming pools, a spa tub, a 22.5-Meter (74-foot) stretch of beach, and a fitness center. The hotel also has a marina, where non-motorized water sports, tennis courts, and a volleyball court are available. Other amenities include concierge services, a spa, a hair salon, and laundry facilities (no dry cleaning services). Business amenities include meeting rooms, banquet facilities, event catering, a ballroom, and business center with Internet access (surcharge for all). Three restaurants, two snack bars, and two bars are on site. Room service is available 24 hours a day. NEW Wall climbing and mini cinema Solaris. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your GR Solaris Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gr Solaris Cancun Hotel Cancun
- Solaris Cancun
- Grand Solaris Cancun
- Gr Solaris Hotel Cancun
- Gr Solaris Cancun & Spa
- Gr Solaris Cancun Mexico
- Grand Royal Solaris Cancun