“terrible customer service by management”
Review of GR Solaris Cancun

GR Solaris Cancun
Ranked #33 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
wisconsin
“terrible customer service by management”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

the property itself is clean and comfortable.The property is small in size and the location is a good 20 min. ride from the clubs and shopping,too far for us.the beach is amazing,the staff including entertainment(Jennifer) and restaurant workers are some of the nicest people you will find they treat you the way the front desk and management should..Now for the bad the food is the worst we have ever had at any of the resorts we have stayed at in Mexico.We are not picky eaters but seriously this food was awful .I agree with the pushy time share people they make you sit in an office and keep playing these number games trying to pressure you to buy and believe me they don't want to take "NO" for an answer, its a waste of 3 hours of your vacation.The very unprofessional Rep. at the front carissa janx is horrible at dealing with customers she is more interested with drinking her coffee and feeding her face instead of helping cutomers,she needs to take some customer service classes from the waiters and entertainment staff. I suggest that someone check on her poor customer service skills.Frank the bellboy was extremely helpful and way more informative than any front desk employee.I would have given this resort a much better rating if it wasnt for the people running it,the timeshare people ,and the food.

Room Tip: don't pay over $200 extra for corner rooms all you get is an extra window.Do get oceanview you w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank takeme2mexico18
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
On behalf of GR Solaris Cancún, we apologize for any inconveniences you experienced throughout your vacation. We pride ourselves in making our guests feel comfortable and relaxed when choosing our resort to spend that special holiday, we regret your comments regarding the treatment received by some of our Hotel employess, our General Manager has already talked to them and have taken action on this matter.

Thank you for your feedback that help us to improve our service-

Hoteles Solaris de Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,066)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Recently returned from a trip to Cancun, Mexico. This is our second year in a row staying at the GR Solaris. We love this hotel!!!! The hotel is very clean and we find the food wonderful. We ate every night at Marco Polo and we were waited on by Alberto. Alberto was a wonderful server and made sure the whole dining experience was excellent. Don't hesitate to book this hotel, you are not required to sit through the time share, so just say no!!!! We have never been bothered by anyone on the property to do so. One thing I did see is that many people do not tip.....I know they say no tipping required, but many employees only make 200 pesos per hour......bring a few extra bucks and show the hard working employees how much you appreciate them!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank julie f
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I agree with alot of the other patrons, their main objective is to get you to purchase a time share...and when you don't, there very disrespectful! I was told by, what suppose to be his property that he was offended that I didn't accept any of his propositions! I did not come to go on a tour and only accepted so they could stop pressuring me about it uggh!

After the presentation, everything was lovely! Rooms very clean, staff pleasant and helpful. It is wifi available but only in a small area where it is normally congested..unless you opt to pay for it. Anything I requested or needed, it was provided promptly! Although, I got a craving at 4am and everything appeared shut down, but after walking to front desk, and a page across the two way...my food was delivered.

The Food....OMG! Awful. I love to travel and part of traveling is to taste the cuisine. My husband is still recuperating from the food. I found nothing that I like...a large selection of pork(which I don't eat), I believe the beef is not from a cow (hubby said it was coyote lol)...you would figure this is safe food, right? No! We ate out alot at different places and their food wasn't any better...

I would definitely go back but I would stick to Americanize food spots. We just left, October 19-23rd 2012

• Stayed October 2012
Thomasville, GA
Reviewed October 17, 2012

GR Solaris was a bit of a disappointment. GR Solaris is a family hotel; screaming babies and undisciplined children everywhere. Service was poor. It was the low season, so the hotel was not fully booked. I was offered an upgrade for an additional charge; since I did not pay the additional charge, I was informed check in was not until 3pm and would have to wait an hour for my room to be ready. I was given one of the worst rooms in the hotel.
I think part of my disappointment was the only other AI I have stayed at is the Palace Resorts chain. I will go back there next time; the old adage you get what you pay for applies.
I think the most grievous event was when we were at the pool. The staff collected all the pool restaurant chairs and started washing them with a bleach smelling solution. Using buckets, they drew water from the pool and rinsed them off; with the residue flowing back into the pool. We were done swimming and with this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank RonThomasville_GA
Thank you for reviewing GR Solaris Cancun. We apologize for any inconveniences you experienced while vacationing with us. Guest services is of the utmost importance to us and we appreciate your feedback as it helps us to redefine the wishes of our guests.

Let us inform you that it is not our standard of cleaning collect water from the pool to wash chairs on the pool area; this was a mistake of part of our staff; our General Manager made the appropiate adjustment regarding this situation.

Please accept our more sincere apologies,

Hoteles Solaris de Mexico
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We had a pleasant stay.....staff including Elder Aguilar, Kevin, Gilberto, German and a few others I can't quite remember some names right now....were beyond excellent and I would return...... again and again.

Room Tip: I guess it doesn't matter where you sleep except that there was a little construction going on w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Butterflytiger
Louisville, KY
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We just returned last night after a 4 night stay at the GR Solaris. We are a late 30's couple with a 12 year old son. Overall, this is a nice, clean hotel and I felt that we were in a safe area. Here's my opinion on a few things:
The Beds: I knew the rooms had double (full sized) beds, but I had forgotten how small that size of a bed is. Also, the beds were VERY firm.
The room overall: The room had a mini frig which was re-stocked daily with water, beer and soft drinks. The decor seemed up to date and the room was clean. Everyone on here is right about the noise. We were woken up every night by drunk people talking loudly in the hallways. Take earplugs!
The bathroom: There wasn't a tub (no big deal for us) but the shower curtain could have been a big longer because if you barely moved it while taking a shower then water would get all over the bathroom floor. The showers were a nice size though, two people could easily fit. The water pressure wasn't the best. I had a hard time rinsing the conditioner out of my hair.
The location: Basically the Cancun hotel zone is like the number 7. The GR Solaris is near the bottom of the seven which means you are further away from shopping and nightlife. Not a big deal. Just walk down the driveway to the main road and one of the city buses will pick you up within a few minutes. When you are ready to hop off, just push one of the buttons on the bus and he will stop. The bus drivers are in a hurry so get on and sit down quickly or else you could fall. Here's a tip for riding the bus. When you are downtown and want to return to your hotel, walk across the street and ride the bus going in the correct direction. If not, you will see a part of Cancun that is pretty scary.
The beach: The beach at the GR is awesome. It is absolutely gorgeous! The beach is pretty wide and you can walk for a long ways if you want. We were able to get a chair under the umbrella every single time we went down to the beach. Here's the down side of the beach. The red flags were up every day which means the water is rough and you are advised not to swim (no lifeguard). Of course you can swim at your own risk and we did. Also, there was a TON of seaweed in the water.
The food: None of us really liked the food. It just tasted 'off'. Needless to say we ate a lot of fruit. The fish, chicken and potatoes were good too. The guacomole is awesome! We did eat at Marco Polo one night. I had steak even though I'm not a big steak person. I didn't like that either.
The drinks: It seemed like they didn't use much alcohol, but they were yummy nevertheless.
The pool: There is an upper and a lower pool. The upper is where they do the activities during the day. Also, they play music all day too. If you are going to relax, don't sit by this pool. The lower one you can still here the activity director on the mic during the activities, but it's not as bad. We were not able to use the adult pool/hot tub since we had our son with us.
Check-in: We arrived about 1:00 and were able to check in right away. Immediately the concierge wants to talk to you about the hotel. We never encountered any time share people. After about 10 minutes we were on our way to our room.
Internet: This is so annoying. There is free wi-fi in the lobby bar only. Of course I tried to see if the wi-fi worked anywhere else and it will not. I walked outside (very close to the lobby bar) and no wi-fi.
Stuff for kids: I did see a small pool (about a foot deep) for small kids in a fenced area. We didn't use that so I really can't say much about it. There isn't really much for older kids. There was a game room with a few games, but it was pretty lame.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank jeninin
London, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The people and the staff was so wonderful and polite. They went way above and beyond their duties. Going back next week for another 10 days. Would't go anywhere else.Been to Florida, Bahamas, Switserland, Germany and Holland, but this resort tops them all in service, hospitality and nightly super entertainment.

Room Tip: All rooms look very good. almost every room has ocean view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple