“Cheap on the Cheap”

Ranked #33 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Thomasville, GA
“Cheap on the Cheap”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

GR Solaris was a bit of a disappointment. GR Solaris is a family hotel; screaming babies and undisciplined children everywhere. Service was poor. It was the low season, so the hotel was not fully booked. I was offered an upgrade for an additional charge; since I did not pay the additional charge, I was informed check in was not until 3pm and would have to wait an hour for my room to be ready. I was given one of the worst rooms in the hotel.
I think part of my disappointment was the only other AI I have stayed at is the Palace Resorts chain. I will go back there next time; the old adage you get what you pay for applies.
I think the most grievous event was when we were at the pool. The staff collected all the pool restaurant chairs and started washing them with a bleach smelling solution. Using buckets, they drew water from the pool and rinsed them off; with the residue flowing back into the pool. We were done swimming and with this hotel!

6 Thank RonThomasville_GA
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for reviewing GR Solaris Cancun. We apologize for any inconveniences you experienced while vacationing with us. Guest services is of the utmost importance to us and we appreciate your feedback as it helps us to redefine the wishes of our guests.

Let us inform you that it is not our standard of cleaning collect water from the pool to wash chairs on the pool area; this was a mistake of part of our staff; our General Manager made the appropiate adjustment regarding this situation.

Please accept our more sincere apologies,

Hoteles Solaris de Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,075)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We had a pleasant stay.....staff including Elder Aguilar, Kevin, Gilberto, German and a few others I can't quite remember some names right now....were beyond excellent and I would return...... again and again.

Room Tip: I guess it doesn't matter where you sleep except that there was a little construction going on w...
3 Thank Butterflytiger
Louisville, KY
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We just returned last night after a 4 night stay at the GR Solaris. We are a late 30's couple with a 12 year old son. Overall, this is a nice, clean hotel and I felt that we were in a safe area. Here's my opinion on a few things:
The Beds: I knew the rooms had double (full sized) beds, but I had forgotten how small that size of a bed is. Also, the beds were VERY firm.
The room overall: The room had a mini frig which was re-stocked daily with water, beer and soft drinks. The decor seemed up to date and the room was clean. Everyone on here is right about the noise. We were woken up every night by drunk people talking loudly in the hallways. Take earplugs!
The bathroom: There wasn't a tub (no big deal for us) but the shower curtain could have been a big longer because if you barely moved it while taking a shower then water would get all over the bathroom floor. The showers were a nice size though, two people could easily fit. The water pressure wasn't the best. I had a hard time rinsing the conditioner out of my hair.
The location: Basically the Cancun hotel zone is like the number 7. The GR Solaris is near the bottom of the seven which means you are further away from shopping and nightlife. Not a big deal. Just walk down the driveway to the main road and one of the city buses will pick you up within a few minutes. When you are ready to hop off, just push one of the buttons on the bus and he will stop. The bus drivers are in a hurry so get on and sit down quickly or else you could fall. Here's a tip for riding the bus. When you are downtown and want to return to your hotel, walk across the street and ride the bus going in the correct direction. If not, you will see a part of Cancun that is pretty scary.
The beach: The beach at the GR is awesome. It is absolutely gorgeous! The beach is pretty wide and you can walk for a long ways if you want. We were able to get a chair under the umbrella every single time we went down to the beach. Here's the down side of the beach. The red flags were up every day which means the water is rough and you are advised not to swim (no lifeguard). Of course you can swim at your own risk and we did. Also, there was a TON of seaweed in the water.
The food: None of us really liked the food. It just tasted 'off'. Needless to say we ate a lot of fruit. The fish, chicken and potatoes were good too. The guacomole is awesome! We did eat at Marco Polo one night. I had steak even though I'm not a big steak person. I didn't like that either.
The drinks: It seemed like they didn't use much alcohol, but they were yummy nevertheless.
The pool: There is an upper and a lower pool. The upper is where they do the activities during the day. Also, they play music all day too. If you are going to relax, don't sit by this pool. The lower one you can still here the activity director on the mic during the activities, but it's not as bad. We were not able to use the adult pool/hot tub since we had our son with us.
Check-in: We arrived about 1:00 and were able to check in right away. Immediately the concierge wants to talk to you about the hotel. We never encountered any time share people. After about 10 minutes we were on our way to our room.
Internet: This is so annoying. There is free wi-fi in the lobby bar only. Of course I tried to see if the wi-fi worked anywhere else and it will not. I walked outside (very close to the lobby bar) and no wi-fi.
Stuff for kids: I did see a small pool (about a foot deep) for small kids in a fenced area. We didn't use that so I really can't say much about it. There isn't really much for older kids. There was a game room with a few games, but it was pretty lame.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank jeninin
London, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The people and the staff was so wonderful and polite. They went way above and beyond their duties. Going back next week for another 10 days. Would't go anywhere else.Been to Florida, Bahamas, Switserland, Germany and Holland, but this resort tops them all in service, hospitality and nightly super entertainment.

Room Tip: All rooms look very good. almost every room has ocean view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Gerry v
Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in late september. Weather was frequently cloudy with rain and lightning over the gulf.  We had maybe 2 really good sunny days.  Arrived and asked for a balcony room on the top floor.  Reception desk was cool but did give us a beautiful view for 30 more a night.  I have no problem.. It was worth it.
The concierge wants to meet with you upon arrival... We delayed until the next morning and met with Gonzalo.  He explained the hotel meal schedules, entertainment with maps and helpful suggestions.  He did want to "show " us the 90 min presentation and then we could get free gifts (massages).  He took our persistent decline well and was a gentleman.  We did not find it to be a big deal.  Just say no firm but nicely. We saw him throughout our stay and always had a wave and a smile.
So we were 5 rooms away from elevator which was good, (as recommended on tripadvisor) but 2 nights the adjoining room had a family with children awake after midnight.  You could hear them easily.
In high season, I could see where this would be a problem.
We enjoyed the entertainment staff... Jazmine, Jennifer and Alain were excellent!  Our favorites were water aerobics with tequila shots afterward,  pool volleyball in the afternoon and music from 9:30am to 5ish.  If you want quiet, there is a secluded adult pool with hot tub.
Beach has big waves and pulled me off my feet once.  I would be afraid to have small children anywhere on cancun's beaches.  The red danger flag was up everyday.  They do have a lifeguard on duty daily.  Also,
2 showers are located on the steps leading from the beach.
Now for the food.  Buffets were adequate for us.  Always had fresh fruit.  Beautiful watermelon, grapefruit, papaya, cantelope, pineapple.  Coffee was VERY good.  Waffles, pancakes, omelets made to order or any style of eggs,  toast and bacon.  The breakfast sausage was tough ...tried once and didn't get it again. There was a lot of food unknown to us.  They cater to other cultures.  Many travelers were from Venezuela, Columbia, and Mexico.  I think some of the bad food reviews are based on Americans with little or no exposure to others.
Lunch was in an outdoor cafeteria.  Again it is possible to find acceptable options.  The baked fish filets were always good tasting.  I must say that there is a bird problem and staff generally ignore them flying into the serving areas.  Mostly they pick leftover food from plates stacked near entrances.
For dinner we ate at Marco 4 nights and we thought the food was excellent.  Waiter David was so professional and worked hard to keep our needs met.  All food had amazing presentations.  Beef was a little tough at every venue and I would recommend duck or a seafood in white sauce and sherry dish.  We did not get sick or have any gastrointestinal issues.
The poolside snack area had a delicious salsa fresca (tomatoes, onions, cilantro and lime jc)  and guacamole.  Frenchfries excellent... Pizza not so much
Deli was open from 4pm through the night and  had great subs.  We only did this once because we were so full from food and drinks all day.
The evening entertainment was good overall.  Karaoke a little lame... We were disappointed that they did not have the Michael Jackson show during our 8 day stay due to "low season".   Mexican dance show, magician show and music through the generations show were all  enjoyable.
Drinks were made with generic flavored rums but still tasty.  I tried most of them and found sex on the beach,  piña colada, and banana sexy to be the best for me.  Of course a double coconut rum with diet coke worked well also ;)
I thought the servers Makey,  Odely, Alberto were so friendly and our favorites.  We left frequent tips and glad to bring about 100 in ones to give.  I never felt like they expected it but they were very grateful when you did.
Next time I will bring water shoes as the pool surface is rough.  Pool water was clear and cleaned every morning at 6:30am. I know because  I sat on the balcony watching the sun rise and the gulf turn aqua blue before my eyes.  Ahhhh...

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank barbamom
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Bought a 5 day all-inclusive trip to the GR Solaris. Arrived and was greeted by the "concierge" who said there were things about the hotel that he wanted to tell us about, so we made an appointment for the next morning. (The sign on the desk said "Concierge".)
The room is nice, although, typical of tropics hotels, you can only cool the room, not heat it, so when it rained the next day, we almost froze in the room with no way to warm up. Just a reminder that the tropics isn't always the tropics.
The "concierge" slowly worked his way into wanting to give us a "90 minute, no-pressure, just-say-no-and-we'll-go" presentation on an "opportunity" awaiting us at the Solaris. Over the next 3 hours, there were 5 people involved; the "concierge" with the initial spiel, a young lady laying out the program over coffee, a salesman presenting the financials (and coming down in price a couple of times to retain interest), the manager (who had the "authority" to come down more in price), and the owner's representative (who didn't want anyone to go away without taking advantage of this awesome opportunity). The price went from near $20,000 to less than $3,000 over the 3 hours for a variety of options. It was a full-court, hardcore, high pressure sales pitch, totally unexpected. Driving up the Kulkulkan road where all the beach-front hotels are, it is obvious that there are many, many "clubs" that feature this type of program, so be aware!
These trips are all-inclusive, so food is important and it was our biggest disappointment. Breakfast was in one buffet restaurant, lunch was by the pool or at an outdoor restaurant, and dinner was at a buffet where the entertainment took place or at the one seated restaurant where the food was intended to be better and the service more appropriate to fine dining. The problem is that the food wasn't at all special. I had the impression that the Solaris emphasized cost over quality. None of the meals was really enjoyable, and some very minor things could have improved the experience greatly. If the resort just served good coffee with good creamer and had good bread and butter, it would have gone a long way, but by the time we left we had stopped drinking the coffee and no longer ate the bread and butter. The only really good news is that we didn't gain any weight on the trip.
On the positive side, the pool area is very nice, if a little crowded. The pools are like Pebble-Tec pools, all play pools, there is a swim-up bar, and lots of conversation areas. There is an adults-only pool with a jacuzzi that is rather isolated and good for those who aren't into the party atmosphere. The beach was clean, white, dotted with nice cabanas, and had a good surf front, although there was quite a bit of seaweed.
It was obvious the Solaris crew worked hard to keep the place clean and neat, and their efforts worked very well. There were no complaints in this area. The room service and cleaning was very nice.
Entertainment was a pleasant surprise. One show featured about a dozen young, very energetic dancers, who were very good. The music was not locally produced; they used commercial cuts that fit very well. Another show featured a very charismatic magician with a big bag of tricks. The show was very enjoyable. These shows were in a "ballroom" where the evening buffet was also served. Other shows were in the lobby bar area and featured small acts or karaoke.
Overall, the value was probably there, but the high-pressure sales pitch and poor food quality prevented this from being anything better than an average experience. I have to reluctantly say that I would not return to this resort.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are the only rooms that do not have a water view. Rooms on the west side ha...
2 Thank wslawrence
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 4, 2012

for those that are from the US, i would compare this resort to how would view a days inn to the hotels back in the US which would be a 2.5 star hotel at most.
let me start of with some positives:
1. you feel safe
2. staff is nice and catering,although its they usually expect a tip so its not free catering
3. the drinks were ok
4. daily service clean to the room was very good, i think thats the best thing i can say about the resort. our cleaning lady did a great job
5. room service does not keep you waiting
6. the shows were entertaining, the dancers exhibited great skill and energy
7. clean/modern bathroom was definitely refreshing
8. room size was great, did not feel confined at all

negatives:
1. of all the things that was the worst, i would say the food! i felt like anything i ate was microwavable type of food. there is only one sit down restaurant everything else is buffet style. the food at the sit down restaurant was not impressive at all. so in the end, the quality of the food was poor. the food at the buffet was always a little questionable, the presentation was not at all appetizing, and did not taste fresh what so ever.
2. their beach property wasn't so impressive, the chairs seems a bit old and overused. they charge you extra for umbrellas. they had about 4 hut areas that were far from the water and were right next to the wall of the stairs, which means you get to see all the cracks and garbage that tips over from over head by the pool. its also an area where the vendors who try to sell you stuff hang out. there arent any waitors who come by asking if you would like any drinks. the beach also does not feel private.
3. the walls are super thin, id wake up to the noise of children running next door and screaming
4. the view our room: the delivery area where trucks would come in and out to make food delivers. the resort also does not own too much property so you are very close to the next resorts. the resort does not feel secluded or private at all. you can actually the neighboring resorts guests walking to their rooms since the neighboring hotel had glass windows.
5. just thought its interesting how they didnt serve any coronas?
6. when you order room service to do not expect any food that is made as you order. all they do is just pick up the food from the buffet for you and deliver it to you. so once again food is not fresh.
7.the bar/dance floor area is much too small for a resort. they need to increase the number of staff at the bar at night.
8. its far from the main tourist downtown area. its far from the main shops, coco bongo, etc
9. i just cant get over how bad the food was, on our last night we actually took a taxi to the Westin hotel to enjoy a nice meal before we went back home.

***i honestly wouldn't give such a harsh review if the resort didn't pride themselves as a 4 star hotel. its very misleading!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank stimsoneer
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
On behalf of GR Solaris Cancun we thank you for your review and for sharing your experiences at our resort. We apologize for any inconveniences you experienced throughout your stay. Here at GR Solaris Cancun, we appreciate feedback from our guests as it helps us to redefine our hotel to our guests' standards. We will certainly share your concerns with our respective teams.

Once again thank you for your feedback that help us to improve our service-

Hoteles Solaris de Mexico
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#76 of 175 in Cancun
Grand Oasis Palm
Grand Oasis Palm
#49 of 175 in Cancun

Been to GR Solaris Cancun? Share your experiences!