“Great Service at a Great Value”
Review of GR Solaris Cancun

GR Solaris Cancun
Ranked #33 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
san bruno
“Great Service at a Great Value”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Nice Beach, extremely good service, good food. The moment we stepped in, we were greeted by Ruben, who helped us choose the the best deals and helped us Navigate how to get the best experience and value. If you go there, ask for Ruben, He is the best Concierge out there. Also, upgrade to the Panoramic Room, you will not regret it. The only thing that we did not like about this Hotel was the uncomfortable feeling that they give you when you reject their TimeShare. But, if you do go to the Timeshares meetings, they will give you some good discounts on other things regardless of whether you sign up for it or not. We Opted not to sign up.

Room Tip: Make sure you upgrade to the Panoramic Room. The other rooms seemed a little dark,
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fineashes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,066)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Jose, California
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We recently stayed at the GR Solaris and for the most part had an amazing time. We arrived at 11 pm and had 2 rooms booked...one for my husband and myself and one for our daughters, ages 20 & 26. We were supposed to have either adjoining rooms or rooms near eachother. We were told our rooms were on separate floors, no where near eachother and we'd have to come back the next day to try and get rooms near eachother. After having an extremely long travel day this is not what I wanted to hear. After some searching 2 rooms on the same floor were found for us with only 1 room separating us so we didn't need to go back the next day. That was perfect. The desk clerk was not friendly but wasn't rude either...maybe he'd had a long day too.

Our rooms overlooked the pools and the ocean. Absolutely gorgeous views. The rooms were extremly clean as was the rest of the resort. I constantly saw staff cleaning the resort and beaches. The room was fine but I have to say the beds were horrible. I prefer a firm mattress but these were way too firm...not much difference between sleeping on this bed and a carpeted floor. We did request mattress toppers but this didn't really help. The pillows were also lumpy and small. The walls to the rooms are paper thin and you can hear everything in the hall and in the rooms next door. We did not get the best sleep here...we brought a noise maker with us and the noise was still an issue. However, these were the only issues we had with the rooms.

The food here is plentiful and is available 24/7. I would say the food is average at best but at least you can find something to eat at any time. I really enjoyed the deli...the club sandwich was great and I loved the cookies. I just wish they were open all day and not just from 4 in the after noon to 6am. We did find the food servers to be great. They work so hard and always made sure we had everything we needed. We only ate at Marco Polo one evening....again the food here to us was just average but again the service was great. This is an all inclusive resort and tipping is not required but we always made sure to tip the servers, bar servers and housekeeping for the great job they did.

We are not big drinkers and I've read lots of complaints about the alcohol not being top shelf. This didn't bother us...we stuck to the fruity frozen drinks and because they weren't very strong we really enjoyed them. We had no problem getting bar service by the pool or the beach...yes it was slow but it kept us from making the trip to the bar ourselves.

The beach was beautiful! We spent 3 full days on the beach and got an umbrella. They ask that you tip them for the umbrella...we did, some people didn't...I don't think it's required. The beaches always had red flags up and the water was very rough but there were sections you could still go in. We had a ton of fun playing in the water. The last day it rained the entire day so we had to skip the beach but I think that day was my favorite because we had the pools to ourselved all day. We never used the pools earlier in the week because they were always packed and I didn't care for all the loud music and activities going on. The pools were warm and fun to swim in in the rain and sitting in the hot tub after the pools was great. I couldn't understand why more people weren't in the pools...so what if it's raining...it was still warm and you get wet anyway. I did like that the adult pool seemed to be just that...even when the other pools were packed with people and the music was loud and activities were going on, you still had peace and quiet at the adult pool area. I never saw kids in there.

We saw the shows and they were great entertainment. Two of the nights there was a dinner buffet at the show so it was nice to eat there.

Overall we had a wonderful vacation because it was nice being with my family. We never once left the resort and enjoyed our time relaxing. This is a timeshare resort and only once were we asked to participate in a presentation which we declined. This is a beautiful, clean resort with great service and entertainment but the beds and food were a disappointment so I'm a little torn as to whether I'd go back or not. If they would get some new bedding and some better food options we'd come back here in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank MsWolfcry
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I was surprised that this resort was so popular.

Let's start with the bad:
* They try to sell you things at every turn (timeshare-like raffles, offside activities). They also insulted our intelligence by pretending that they weren't trying to sell us anything but were instead offering us "valuable discounts."
* The resort opens its doors to vendors who then proceed to harass the guests. They don't seem to understand that people come there to relax rather than be sold to.
* When I ran out of toothpaste, the front desk staff refused to send any up and told me that I can "buy it in the gift shop" (where, of course, toothpaste is worth its weight in gold). This is a basic service that any US hotel would provide free of charge.
* We went to one of their shows, which wasn't so bad actually. But the MC made everyone uncomfortable by prefacing the show with a 30-minute ceremony awarding recognition to the hotel's "favorite" guests.
* The food was terrible (with the exception of breakfast)! Avoid the room service food at all costs, as this is particularly bad. The alcohol, while unlimited, is bottom-shelf booze (not surprising in an all-inclusive resort though).
* The hallways have terrible sound insulation and we were woken up many times throughout the night. Let's face it--it's Cancun and there are going to be people there partying until dawn. After a while you teach yourself to drown it out, but it's still annoying.

Now on to the good:
* The housekeeping team was great! They made folder-towel animals on our bed every morning, which was a nice touch.
* Everything is in good shape and very clean.
* The beach was excellent. Note that if you want to get an umbrella you need to give the lifeguard a few bucks as a "tip"
* The one piece of good service we got was from Feliciano Meza at the Marco Polo restaurant. The food at Marco Polo wasn't great, but Feliciano was one of the best waiters I've ever had.
* The "Adults Only" pool is nice in that there are much fewer partying college kids there; good place to relax.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Vlad G
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
We regret for any inconveniences you experienced while vacationing with us, we really sorry to heard that you did not feel well served; customer service is one of our main priorities and we thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff; we have reported to General Manager on this and he have taken action on these issues

Once again thank you for your comments that help us to improve our service

Hoteles Solaris de Mexico
fort worth texas
Reviewed July 2, 2012

we traveled june 18-july 1 2012.we were a party of 8. ages 10-40. wehad ocean view and panaramic view rooms. the beach is excellent. the waves are wonderful. soft no rocks. you can buy boogie boards at market in town 15 a board or deal we got 2 for 25. the hotel does not provide them. the waves are big daily. they have a beach waiter that comes every 11-12 minutes we timed him. if you tip a dollar you will have plenty of drinks. make sure and carry a bottle water to beach from your room. they are free . there is really only one restaurant marco Polo. the other is buffet, the a theater with a dinner and movie three times a week. show nightly though. then a deli with sandwich and ice cream. marco polo is the only place men must wear pants or they will not let you in. all others shorts are fine. the hotel is kept very cold so when you come from beach or pool be prepared. once a week the hotel goes to senior frogs on thurs only for supper free meal and transportation to senior frogs only you proved your way home and buy your own drinks pricey. water one bottle example 5 dollars. you can walk to market from there to shop and get some really cheap bargains its about 1 and 1/2 city block walk. no problems at all. you can drink the water at hotel all purified. if you want to do any tours example chichen itza the ruins or jungle tour or isla mujeres buy at air port at global travel we got all inclusive breakfast and lunch not including drinks was 30 dollars per perso and jungle tour was 28 per person at hotel cheapest was 55 per person and they pick you up at the front door of hotel. take at least 50 dollars in ones.

Room Tip: get panaramic room or ocean view our group had both.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank beachloverWorthTexas
Hazlet, New Jersey
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I have to admit that I was a little disappointed with this 4 star resort! We have been to Cancun several times and love it for the warm, friendly people and the gorgeous beaches and could not wait to go back!!!

Check-in was very easy, but I found the front desk staff to be very cold, polite, but cold. No smiles, no words of welcome simply took our information, provided us with room keys and towel cards and sent us on our way. The Concierge was a little friendlier as he pushed us to spend 90 minutes viewing their time-share presentation.

We found the room to be clean, but extremely small, with not enough drawer space to accomodate the clothes for the 4 of us for a week. The furniture was beyond outdated and the beds were hard. Our bags were delivered promptly and again by a polite, but not overly friendly bellboy.

We made our way to the beach which was gorgeous with ample chairs and tiki huts to sit by. We sat down and looked around for a waitress to take our drink order and she never came. In fact there is no bar and VERY LIMITED bar service on the beach which is a bit odd. It is a bit of a walk to go back and forth to the bar for drinks each time so needless to say we did not spend much time on the beach.

We tried the pool which was nice. Being that we were traveling with children we stayed at the upper pool which was a bit more family oriented. They only had 1 waitress working both pools for drinks which is absurd so we again found ourselves walking back and forth to the bar for drinks. When she did make her way to us we still had to wait for 20-30 minutes before the drinks came and each time they were warm. She was very apologetic, but again, not overly friendly. Her attitude was a bit of "it is what it is."

While the staff was nice I was so disappointed that they were not as friendly as other resorts. On our last trip after the 2nd day I felt like our waiter at breakfast was family, but here when you sat down to eat you had to seek someone out just to get a drink of water or a soda for the kids. You just do not feel like a priority here. I am not saying that I expect people to fall all over me, but a drink by the pool in less than 20 minutes as well as not having to ask for drinks at breakfast or lunch is not being unreasonable.

In terms of food Marco Polo is by far the best food there. I found their dress code for men a bit odd in that all you have to have is long pants and closed toe shoes. Instead of nice dress shorts and sandals the place was filled with men in jeans, t-shirts and sneakers? I did not mind having to make a reservation, but my husband went to make our reservation at 7:50 and was informed that they do not start accepting reservations until 8:00. Most hotels would have taken it and politely said that they usually do not begin until 8:00 as opposed to making him stand there for 10 minutes. Again, it is just the little things that go a long way in my book.

I found the food in the buffets to lack variety, flavor and some days freshness. Toward the end of our week stay the pineapple in the breakfast buffet seemed to be a little brown. Much of the poolside grill is filled with fried, greasy food. A large salad bar, seafood spread etc. would do this facility wonders.

The Entertainment staff did a great job, but I felt like they could organize a few more activites along with not doing the same things each day. My 9 year old loved the kids camp, but when they walked her back to us by the pool I felt like they were standing around waiting for a tip.

This was our first time here and unfortunately it will probably be our last. I would definitely not consider this 4 stars and would suggest travelers do their homework before booking this resort as there are better choices out there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Dunnsteinke
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I was terribly disappointed by this supposedly 4 star all-inclusive hotel, which offers a very poor value for your money. Instead of writing a very long review, I only want to mention a few points where this hotel needs to improve.
1. Food – the quality, taste and variety of the food is terrible. I have been to many all-inclusive hotels in Cancun, and the GR Solaris has the worst food of all by far. And it was not just the taste but the lack of assortment which bothered me the most
2. Service – even though the hotel personnel are not rude, they don’t try to satisfy your needs. I had to ask a dozen times for a waitress to bring me some drinks by the pool, and after one hour I had to go get them myself. I also had booked an ocean view room, and the receptionist told me they didn’t receive that information from my travel agency, so I was given a lagoon view room.
3. Accommodations – the hotel is clean but outdated and needs major upgrades to be considered a proper Resort. The rooms look old, restaurants packed, and overall you get a feeling of being in a 2 to 3 star hotel.
This was my first time at the GR Solaris, and it will definitely be my last one too. I do not recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank VictorAM
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at GR Solaris Cancun, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thanks for all your comments, We regret you found some inconveniences at our Hotel.
We truly care about our guest and value their opinions; we will certainly pass along your concerns to our General Manager, who will be grateful with your feedback that help us to improve our service.

Hoteles Solaris de Mexico.
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed here a couple of nights waiting to check in to another resort. We decided to go 'all inclusive' which was a good decision as there is nothing around that you can access. It was clean, the food was ok, the service was good in the restaurant but terrible in the bar. The hotel is old looking and not one with pizzaz! The beds are hard but the room was quiet. Not a place you would want to stay in for a week!

Room Tip: Don't stay long! There are other places nicer for the same price in Cancun!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple