“BRING PANTS - Very Good, some nitpicky drawbacks.”
Review of GR Solaris Cancun

GR Solaris Cancun
Ranked #36 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Tips $$ go a long way. Bring Pants

ROOMS: Nice, kept clean and maintained, A/C wasn't awesome, just enough to chill the room. Coffee and Minibar restocked daily. Heard that if you tip the minibar attendant, you'll be overflowing with beer, otherwise 6 or so beers, 6 sodas, and 6 waters, plenty for the normal person. Bugs (mosquitoes) on the balcony, bring bug spray. Good hot water in the shower, and safe worked as described.

FOOD: Mostly buffet, only Marco Polo was order from the menu and good food. The food at Marco Polo was excellent, but it is reservation (made in the am) and dress formal. BRING PANTS. we went shopping for them (giant pain), but it was worth it. Also need a nice shirt, guys, polo's ok. They do an internation night, italian nights, etc...As for breakfast, it was fine at Cafe solaris, but buffet everyday. Tip the waiter for attentive service everyday, Asuncion did a good job. Tipping 20 pesos or $2 a meal, gets you noticed, ie quicker drinks at lunch. An entertainment staff said that means alot to them economically. Dropped 50 pesos at Marco Polo for the waiter salida and the second night, the same waiter made sure my beer was never less than 1/3 full. Room service was good, on time, and even brought a few items that we wrote in. Wife wasn't completly happy with buffet, feeling like she never got a true mexican dish.

SERVICE: All staff was very friendly and helpful BUT tips were a huge motivator. Tip the bartender decently ($10) on the first night, and drinks will come without waiting. That goes for everything else... tipping the maid for extra towels, waiter for extra attention, minibar attendant for a booze bar, etc.. an extra $100 on a 6 day vacation can make it alot nicer.

ENTERTAINMENT: They have a fairly good staff, but don't always stick to the schedule, which is annoying. The water polo game was fun, as was beach volleyball. The karaoke was okay because nobody wanted to sing, and the "casino night" at the same time was sad, 2 wobbly tables with blackjack dealers who have never dealt (anna) or can't add. Played tennis only their court, very nice, best in the am. The 70's show was very good, said that it was the last performance, and the Mexican show also very good, mariachi band and all.

LOCATION: right in the middle of the hotel zone, 15 min from the airport, great spot, Bus R2 and R15 go downtown, 8.5 pesos per person, the driver will make change, and you'll have to flag down some buses. White buses are crazy drivers, some work on commission, Ride at your own risk. We used the bus many times and found it a great cheap way to and from town and the scuba shop (aquaworld)

SALESPEOPLE: annoying from the getgo... once thru customs, walk past the horde of sales people in the long hallway to get outside to your ride. The hard sales starts here and continues after you check in with the concierge. Be kurt but polite. These people will talk and talk and talk. Even the Apple Vacations rep babbled on... The M.O. with all the sales is start a conversation, or handshake, then ramble on about it.. Prices are very negotiable.

POOL it's great, warmer later in the day. Never went to the quiet adults only pool, but looked like a few used it. At the main pool, upper portion, music was normally on 11a-5. Clean with a poolside bar, and plenty of shade in the surrounding area. Good way to spend the day.

BARS: the poolside bar had short hours in my opinion, and usually wrapping up about 5. They have plenty of choices for drinks, except beer, only Dos XX on tap. Tequlia shots were good but way too much salt. Lobby bar is the evening place to drink open late. Tips help your service and often get you shots without asking.

SCUBA; was awesome! we signed up at the watersports desk with Eileen, and aquaworld was the provider, they're just down the road. $77 person for a 2 single tank dives. Awesome diving.. saw turtles, lionfish, crabs, morel eel, jellyfish, and more. Worth every penny. Only draw back is was 40 min boat ride, and after dive 1 they wanted to get right back in. I had just taken off my weight belt.. Ask for a few minute break..

MISC: Avoid the Astec Two Step by drinking only bottled water, and avoid dairy (even the ice cream). Bring $1's, at least $15 per day. Gym is small but gets the job done.

OVERALL: A- recommended for those who want a wonderful but not perfect vacation.

Room Tip: Higher floor (3+) for great view. Balcony rooms have great view, but sunrise might wake you up.
8  Thank jdpphotography
Write a ReviewReviews (4,777)

Reviewed October 30, 2011

I have stayed at this resort three times and have yet to be disappointed. A great resort at a great price, but there have were two changes, one good and one so not good:

Good: You can now book reservations for the Marco Polo (la carte restaurant) at the Café Solaris (buffet) all morning, instead of having to wait in line at 8:00 am at the Marco Polo. Of course the earlier you book the best chances of getting the time you prefer, but there was always one available.

Not so good: The deli (which has very good sandwiches) that used to stay open until 6:00 am (hours: 4:00pm – 6:00 am) now closes at 10:00 pm. I really did enjoy getting a nice snack at two in the morning (after enjoying a night of premium drinks). However, room service is still 24 hours a day.

Hurricane Rina: HATS OFF to the GR staff for there efforts during the storm. The level of service never declined.

3  Thank JohnandLizinMd
Reviewed October 26, 2011

My mom and I stayed here for my 25th birthday. After reading some of the reviews we were a bit concerned. However that concern gave to pleasant surprise when we arrived at the beautify GR Solaris. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and clean. The staff is very friendly. The food is good. Although the selection is smaller than other All-Inclusive places we've stayed, we were never hungry and liked most everything we tried. We highly recumbent making reservations at Marco Polo every morning. Their menu changes daily and offers a lot of tasty options. The only at all negative thing I can say about the hotel is that the pillow are overstuffed and very hard. So if you travel with your own pillow you're all set! :)
All in all, if you're looking for a great time, good food and terrific people stop looking and BOOK!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Victoria S
Reviewed October 23, 2011

My husband and I just returned from 7 days at the GR Solaris and we couldn't have asked for a better vacation . While we had rain for the first two days , the staff made it enjoyable and kept the food and drink coming . The food in the buffets were good and we always had many different choices . We ate at Marco Polo twice for the French and Spanish nights . Each time the food was excellent - small portions but after 5 courses , it was enough . Staff everywhere were very attentive - we tipped as the staff there work so hard but they were attentive to all . I want to mention Carlos who always had a smile on his face and served us numerous times for breakfast & lunch , as well as drinks by the quiet pool .
Check in was smooth and our room was ready when we got there around 12pm . What a treat to have the room ready . Our room was 8112 and it was all I could ask for , a large bed - walkin shower and a deck with a jacuzzi , 2 lounge chairs as well as a bistro set . It looked directly onto the ocean and we spent alot of time there . It was cleaned daily , usually by 10am and each day we had a small towel animal , such as a turtle , bird & teddy bear . It was fun to come back and see what would be there . The mini bar was filled every day with water , beer and sodas . We used room service for when we had the munchies and it came it a timely manner .
The nightly shows were great - it was a nice way to spend time with friends you meet at the resort . The Caribean night with the fire dancer was excellent .
Over all , I can not complain . We are already planning a return trip . The size of the resort was perfect for us - not too large and you could get around easily . There was a quiet pool that we spent most of our time at but we also went to the larger pool where the swim up bar was . OH - and the beach was crazy nice . Perfect for walking and finding shells - we loved swimming in the ocean as well .
Cant wait to go back !

7  Thank SLGMaine
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I got back from Cancun on the 8th of October having stated for 7 days and had a great time at the GR Solaris. The staff were very friendly and the resort was immaculate. I would have liked to have given it 3.5 out of 5 but was only able to give it 3. I couldn't give it four or five because the resort is not without it's problems.

Some of the other reviewers here are partially correct, the food is mostly substandard. The Lunch buffet outdoors was forgettable, mostly greasy fried food much like the snack bar. The deli only serves pre-made sandwiches and desserts. Room service was the worst option of the bunch, even though it was free it was hard to enjoy the food they served, very bland.

The two exceptions to this rule though are the Breakfast buffet and the A la Carte restaurant "Marco Polo". The breakfast food was as good as I've had at anywhere else I've stayed. Eggs, bacon, sausage, omelette bar, fresh fruit, exotic juices... just about anything you want and made very well.

Marco Polo alone was good enough to warrant a return visit to this resort. Each night a different type of food served a la carte and it was amazing! My girlfriend and I had The BEST fillet mignon on French night and incredible sushi on Asian night. Our server Feliciano was the best waiter I've had anywhere and took excellent care of us. Ask to get seated in his section, you won't regret it. He always had a smile and a friendly wave for us when he saw us come in. Also, my wine glass barely ever got more than half empty before he was filling it up, and boy did I take advantage of it.

The entertainment staff did their job very well. Even though it wasn't my thing people by the party pool and swim up bar seemed to be having a riot listening to upbeat music and participating in various activities designed for partially / mostly drunk folk.

I though the way the resort was set up is fantastic. Not very far at all from the "party pool" there was a "relax pool" where myself and my girlfriend spent the majority of our time. Amazingly, even though the party pool remained loud all day long you could hardly ever hear it at all by the relax pool area. We also used the spa service by the relax pool for two massages. Was a wonderful experience getting massages mere feet from the ocean... it's one thing to have a recording of ocean waves to help you relax but the real thing is infinitely better. The masseuses were first class, the best we've ever had and only 55$ USD.

The beach was world class, that's all I have to say about that. It was amazing waking up to that view every morning, I might well miss that more than anything else.

The room was great. Quite large with a balcony that had two chairs and a small coffee table. I am a bit of a slob, especially while I'm on vacation and the housekeeping staff took excellent care of us. Every day we came back to an immaculate room and one or two new towel animal pets. The bed in the room was indeed quite firm and took a bit of getting used to. I ended up finding it quite comfortable though and slept just fine though and my bed at home is much softer.

The front desk service was very helpful in person but not so good when they were called. Often, no matter what time of day it was it rang about 5 times I got a message in spanish followed by being transferred to the operator who then transferred me back to the desk. On a couple of occasions it took a few tries to get a hold of someone. Also, a few times on one of the days the power went out in our room for no apparent reason. This only lasted for a few seconds at a time and didn't happen at all after a few hours.

On the whole I have to say that my biggest complaint and probably why I'm unable to give this resort 4 stars is as a result of the check in process. After a full day of travelling we were ushered into this side room, after they very nicely got us drinks we started to get what turned out to be a sales pitch for becoming "members" that lasted far longer than either of us were game for (30 - 40 minutes total). Despite telling them 2 or 3 times during this period that we were tired and all we wanted was food and sleep and couldn't we do this later, The sales pitch continued. Then a few days later, at 0800 in the morning the person who checked us in called us, woke us up and told us that we needed to come with her so she could tour us around some of the other properties owned by Solaris. When we told her we had no interest in membership or any kind of tour she tried to guilt us into going (it almost worked!) by telling us that she gets paid 50$ US for taking us on the tour. If the management from Solaris is reading this, this is NOT the way to entice people into becoming members. Mostly I was quite impressed with the resort, perhaps they could have simply handed me a pamphlet detailing the cost / benefits of membership on the way out and I would have considered it. Nobody goes on vacation to be pressured into buying something he / she isn't after.

Anyway, the bottom line is that if you're expecting a 4 star + Hotel ala Wynn Las Vegas or even The Mirage, you should probably stay somewhere else as this hotel doesn't compare to those places. If however, you're looking to go somewhere beautiful on a budget where the staff are friendly and you'll get well taken care of... then I think Gr Solaris is for you.

8  Thank cha228
Reviewed October 10, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the GR Solaris from the 27th September until the 07th October and we had an amazing time! I was worried before we left as I had read a few negative reviews however after being there for 10 days I can honestly say there isnt much to complain about.

We arrived at the hotel and the check in was so smooth, our room had amazing views of the beach and pool like we had asked for and was extremely clean and immaculate during our stay the maid did a great job! The food was fine for what we needed had to watch what you had at times but definitely something for everyone. Would recommend an omlette for breakfast!

Loved the pool- we werent there everyday as we got out and about and since we were there for 10 days we wanted to see Cancun but when we were the entertainment staff were so much fun. Loved David, Christian, Anna, Ray, Jennifer well all of them haha.

We will definitely be back to visit Cancun and would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat! If anyone is looking to go out and about I would go to Isla Mujeres and go to Dolphin discovery it was amazing!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank stephyb41
Reviewed October 9, 2011

The hotel was beautiful. We were treated like kings. The staff was very helpful,and well informed. Our only problem was the food. It was substandard.
We went out to eat a couple of times, and this was all inculsive. So we paid out of pocket for food. But other than that, a very good resort.

Room Tip: W had the room with the extendid baloncey and a hottub. The way to go!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple