“It's a deal”
Review of GR Solaris Cancun

GR Solaris Cancun
Ranked #36 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We read a lot of reviews and decided on this resort based on price and average reviews. Resort was overall clean. The rooWe read a lot of reviews and decided on this resort based on price and reviews. Resort was overall clean. We did read before the trip that the room hallways were noisy but just thought people were too picky but after staying in our room the first night and getting No Sleep from all the noise and echo in the hallway we asked to be moved the next night and got a room at the end and were happy for the rest of our stay.

*Food: The food was not great but acceptable. We did not get sick :)

*Entertainment: Resort does not have activities at all!!!
The only source of entertainment at night is a lobby bar.

*Poolside: Poolside chairs get full quickly!

*Beach: There were always chairs on the beach. The beach was great! We walked along beach and saw other resort beaches besides a really expensive hotel this resort had best beach on this strip.

*We did not leave the resort so cannot comment on distance to downtown area.

Note: sunsets on the opposite side of this hotel so you will not get sunset views but still beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,777)

Reviewed August 28, 2011

This was my first time to mexico and my first all inclusive and I loved it! I went to gr solaris with my boyfriend of 8 years and another couple, we are all between 22-26 years old. I read a lot of reviews before coming here and got a bit nervous but it was a great time!

The rooms were clean and I will say that the walls were very thin so you could definately here your neighbors. The ocean view upgrade is not expensive and is well worth it!

The pools were great! Not dirty at all...pebble bottom which can be rough on the feet if you aren't careful but not dirty at all. Perfect temperature! The pool bar was awesome with great drinks and staff however they close at 5 which was a bummer...

The beach was my favorite! Very clean soft sand and swimming area. I could not get enough of it!

The staff was friendly but one thing I had a problem with was finding change. So bring small bills for tips and spending.

The food was the only bad thing about the trip. I am a picky eater but I don't think anyone could say they enjoyed it. It was very bland. I lived off snack food. The deli was alright but have it made fresh.

We went on a adventure called xplor which was ziplining underground swimming and rafting and atvs. This was AMAZING! Buffet with good food included and transportation also included! LOVED IT!

• Stayed: August 2011
4  Thank krisf1986
Reviewed August 28, 2011

The GR Solaris is only for families and young people. The reason is because it is consider as 5star hotel (looks 4star) and offers affortable prices.You can NOT relax if that is what you wish. It is also very very crowded and you are surrounded by many people all the time. However, the room were comfortable, and the sea was AMAZING. The food was below average.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2011

from the minute we arrived to cancun, we were surprised with the oragianization, if you bought through bestbuy, your names were on a list, treansported threw a nice vechile to and from your hotel with nice vechicles. when you get to the airport, do not stop for the people that try to help you out, they will try to stop form timeshare. When we reached the hotel the empolyees were above amazing, entertainment every day at the pool, the 3 guys that enertained were super funny that tired to get everyone involved, the bar drinks were amazing the food amazing, alitttle bit spicy, the shows at night out of this world. MUST SEE SHOWS AT THE HOTEL. they also had a short two minute flim before every show shwoing if you have any used clothing or toys, brimg them along and donate them. rooms were extremeley clean, the service from the empolyees was great!! after the night shows everyone goes to the bar , the have karoke night, live music, and dancing, we got lucky they had baby turtles we got to name and realse. the beach was crystal clear and beautiful, the pools were all amazing, overall we will definitly go back, and we traveled quit a bit to different hotels and this one by far is the best. it is very safe, and a very sad day when we had to leave :( na na na na na goodbyeee.
From Canada. :)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank rose v
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I just returned form 5 nights at the GR Solaris with my husband, 4 1/2 daughter and 7 month old son as well as 2 adult friends. We had a great time! I wasn't sure what to expect so I went without high expectations.
It felt like we were in the airport forever. The line for customs was very long. The second line was very short because the woman directing people where to go had us go to what seemed like a family line. Our friends were directed to a longer line so we had to wait about 10 minutes for them. We hadn't booked tranfer to the hotel ahead of time so we picked a company from the airport. They took us to a counter before going to the van where a man tired getting us to book excursions. I explained that my baby needed to eat and he led us to our van. We weren't bothered about time shares.
As soon as we walked into the hotel lobby I immediatly relaxed. The lobby was pretty. The from desk staff was very nice and helpful. We had requested connecting rooms but they weren't available so our friends were 2 doors down. We were taken by an employee who explained the hotel to us. He then directed us to lunch which we all needed. From there we went to our room. We had requested a crib when we checked in but it wasn't there so my husband called the front desk. They asked if the crib was for a girl or boy which I thought was odd. Less than 10 minutes later the crib was delivered and it had Mickey Mouse bedding which was adorable.
I was impressed with the food. It wasn't 5 star but it was good and there was a nice variety. I loved that we could have chips and guacamole at the pool every day. Since we had the kids we didn't try Marco Polo.
I didn't like to floor of the pool. It is too rough. My daughter and I both cut our feet. At times to water was very warm.
They said the pool bar closed at 5:00 when in fact the bartenders started cleaning up around 4:15. After that you could get soda or beer until they left which was probably before 5:00.
My daughter went to the kids club on the second day we were there. We found seats by the fence to the kids club pool. I looked over and saw my daughter alone in the pool floating in a tube. Needless to say, I kept a watchful eye on her. It was a minute or so before a counselor walked out to check on her. After the pool she made a few bracelets, went into the main pool with the counselors and had her face painted. She didn't want to go back the next day because she said she couldn't understand what the counselors were saying.
It rained one of the days. We quickly found out that there in nothing to do, especially with 2 kids, when it rains.
Overall, I really enjoyed my stay at the GR Solaris. I would recommend it to friends and I would return.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank allymax13
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Amazing hotel, excellent location, everything was great. I cant wait to come back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rocio7338
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Here goes, I read alot of the reviews and was a bit worried with some of the reviews, but everyone should make up their own mind. We are from the City of Chicago and are exposed to some of the best restaurants and the chef at the Marco Polo prepared meals that were outstanding. We are vegetarian and they were happy to prepare meals to meet our needs. David, the waiter, at Marco Polo was professional and went above and beyond. The resort is kept very clean and the spa was very relaxing. I did not feel the food was terrible. There is something for everyone. The only thing I would say is a drawback is the noise level in the halls because they are not carpeted so it does echo. The adjoining rooms, you tend to hear the people in the other room. The staff at the Grand Solaris was great. Even though it is an all inclusive--tip the staff!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family