“Great time - ask for Gilberto at Marco Polo”
Review of GR Solaris Cancun

GR Solaris Cancun
Ranked #36 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Went with my girlfriend. We're med students, we were just looking for a relaxing week away from the city. I looked at the reviews a TON and would have to say they're pretty accurate - don't read too much into the really negative ones - people that hated their trips are 100x more likely to write on here.

Pros: GREAT service, cleaning ladies were amazing (made all sorts of cute animals with the towels, left beer, water, and sodas in the mini fridge every morning) free room service every morning was delivered right on time (free room service at all hours actually, and always within 30 minutes of your order), free wifi, free gym, free drinks all day long. bartenders were alway friendly and quick, a lady brought drinks out to you on the beach, just say something in spanish and they'll love you - we never felt pressured to leave a tip every single time we got a drink, although we always left a tip when I had my wallet with me. We got up early every morning (8a) to sign up for Marco Polo and that really made the trip - bought a bottle of wine every night and enjoyed some really good food there. They also make deals with local restaurants and take you there and back for free and the food there is free - so we went to Carlos and Charlies and Senior Frogs two of the nights, completely free. The food was good for lunch at Rosmarinus outside by the beach (lots of guacamole and good fish), and breakfast was really fantastic the mornings we didn't get room service (tons of fruit and an omelette station, lots of interesting meats which I never tried). Room service was too tempting though, with the incredible balcony overlooking the beach, so we did that most mornings. The beach was unbeatable, beautiful white sand and clear water. The pools were nice. The quiet pool was really quiet, the other pool had activities at it all day long, some were funny, some were stupid. If you're easily entertained, just sit and watch those performances. if you like quiet, go to the beach or the other pool. I personally wanted nothing to do with the spring breakers that would surely be in cancun then (we went on THE spring break week - Mar 12-19) and honestly wasn't bothered by them at this resort (we did however hear bad things about the sister resort being filled with spring breakers). Entertainment staff were hilarious and yoga classes in the morning on the beach were fun. I'm a serious gym buff/health nut and I was able to get by for a week at this gym and eat really healthy.

Cons: the dinner buffet we went to the first night was really scary. Hence going to Marco Polo every night (which we loved - we fell in love with our server Gilberto). the other clientele were also a little scary at times, but we weren't there to meet anyone, just to enjoy ourselves, and it wasn't hard to find quiet on the beach or the pools. The beds were a little hard - they did provide a mattress topper though. Walls were thin and the hallway was very echo-y; luckily we were at the end of the hallway. I couldn't imagine what it would have been like by the elevator in the middle of the hallway.

Overall, we loved our stay, thanks to a lucky room placement (king bed, end of the hallway, facing the beach), came back more in love than we were when we left (which is saying something because I'm pretty in love with this girl) and it was truly a sad day when we left. I look forward to going next year (if my parents will pay for it again).

Room Tip: oceanside room, end of the hallway
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank erupe
Write a ReviewReviews (4,779)

Reviewed April 12, 2011

We read all the reviews and really was not sure what to expect but for the money we chose this location. We were pleasantly surprised with EVERYTHING!!! From the entertainment, especially Melissa, the plentiful selection of food, service and just about anything you could need. Everyone was freindly, happy and accomodating. The food was not 5 star, however, you were also not paying for a 5 star either. For the price we paid we had an umbelievable time here and could not have ask for anything more!!!!

It is just as beautiful in person as in the pictures and nothing hidden here what you see IS what you get! Go you won't regret it!

Room Tip: no upgrade room 8653 &had ocean view too!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank michele216
Reviewed April 7, 2011

First trip ever outside the USA. Thought the room and view would be better considering we purchased one of the higher end packages. Room and resort were clean. Staff was friendly and always seemed eager to please.
Located farther away from shops/dining/etc....easy to get to if you took the bus but we would have rather been closer so that we could have walked.
Fridge in the room was stocked only once a day with four bottles of water, four soda's, and four 7.5 oz beers...water and beer went very fast , so then you had to go down to the bar which was bad if you were in your room for the evening or just woke up .
Food was decent, you really need to look at what is being served as it is easy to overlook all the options.
Sleep quality suffered a major blow, walls are very, very thin. The first night we were jolted awake by what seemed to be intruders in our room...swore they were standing right over us. Other nights we could clearly hear vomiting, talking, belching, etc...
Kids were allowed in the only bar available in the evenings, which was bad as I would have liked a place to sit, relax and watch the final four and finals.
All in all, not a bad resort but the negatives outweigh the positives and we will search for another place to stay on our next trip down.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cancuntripp
Reviewed April 6, 2011

Sorry for the length of the report but found a lot of valuable resources for my own recent trip so wanted to return the favor :)

Check-In at GR Solaris… again the usual “meet for a special breakfast” blah, blah, blah… “NO, I am here to vacation, get me to my room”. To the room and out to the pool by 3:15 and not bothered again. We did upgrade to ocean front after some haggling with the desk clerk… $120 for all week I thought was worth it, especially with the danger of being near the elevator if lagoon side, where I do believe it would have been a huge aggravation hearing the "dingdong" of the elevators day in and day out when in your room. Our room was spotless, bed was comfortable, and didn’t have an issue with thin walls except for the neighbors having their phone ring every morning at 5am.

Towel games every day, as to be expected (or at least at every resort I have been to or cruise I have been on)… but always up early anyways so never an issue. But still cannot understand those that reserve their chairs then literally never show up?!?!?

Our daily routine was to put the towels out, go eat breakfast, return to the pool for a couple of hours to read/people watch, take a walk on the beach, eat lunch, return to the pool to socialize with those we met pool side. Once sun started to go down we were off to our room to get ready for the evening. A stop in the lobby bar for a drink or two, then off to dinner. We did make it to a couple of shows which consisted of the entertainment staff from the daytime pool activities, entertaining but not earth shattering to miss a show. We never left the resort simply because we were enjoying the environment and relaxation there, and didn’t feel like putting forth the effort of going off the resort.

Food seems to be a bit of a debate here on TA so here is my input… breakfast by far the best meal of the day. What a struggle each day deciding what type of eggs I wanted freshly made… and the other endless selections of fruit, cheeses, pastries, etc. We did make the effort one day to wait in line for Marco Polo reservations but really felt the food was similar if not the same that was available on the various buffets. Lunch buffets were very good but often had the pool side snack bar which was a favorite… ask for a hamburger and they will make it, or just choose from the other dozen options. Room service was excellent as well, fast and hot. Deli was open from 4:00pm to 6:30am, ready made sandwiches or can order what you want… all yummy. Friday night’s seafood buffet was by far my favorite, huge shrimp and many types of fish, too much to mention. So basically if you are complaining about the food, you are just looking for something to complain about. Yes it gets old after 7 days, but so do the weekly meals I make at home where I am doing all the shopping, prep work, cooking, and clean up for them. But the 5 pounds I put on in 7 days says something, lol.

Alcohol – again…absolutely no complaints. They will make you WHATEVER you want. I was told no captains so moved on to Smirnoff and Pineapple Juice… yum is all I got to say for that. One night I wanted a chocolate shot… then a strawberry shot… then asked for a chocolate/strawberry shot… all given to me with a smile!

Now for the bad, which has very little to do with the resort itself… People can be idiots. If you have children, SUPERVISE them… don’t allow them to roam free on the resort, order endless frozen drinks without tipping, and cut in line at the buffets. And if you are going to reserve a chair, USE IT. YOU are NOT more entitled than the rest of the guests at the resort, period.

I would definitely return to this resort but my next trip may be back to an adults only resort… bikini top tan lines are really over-rated.. LOL

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank buckeyefan_0104
Reviewed April 5, 2011

I usually don't write reviews but before going to Cancun i was reading A LOT of reviews on trip advisor and i learned so much that i though i owe it to them.........I was orginally booked to stay at the royal solaris resort which is the sister resort to gr solaris well by reading the reviews i read that most of the resort was under construction so last minute i changed resort to the GR solaris and boywas I happy I did.

First off our flight arrived early like 11a.m. and we were checked in right away no wait, We were not harass by the timeshare people which i knew about from the reviews, i also upgraded to an ocean view room (additional charge) which was on the 8th floor it was gorgeous, spectacular views, the room was very clean and maid service came everyday to clean and restock our mini fridge. The resort was very relax a mixture of older and younger folks, no rowdy kids (thank goodness) as we were there in Cancun to relax not to hear loud music 24/7. The food was ok i much rather eat room service and was so very happy it was included. The drinks were a little watered down but after a good 12 or 13 they get the job done, they have a adult pool which was perfect because no kids were allowed and that is were the jacuzzi was located. The only con was there was only 1 Jacuzzi and everyone just so happen to be in it at the same time.

Do not believe what people say that Cancun is dangerous, you just have to be smart. Instead of paying $70 to go to isla mujeras with the resort we took the bus which stop right in front of the resort, to the ferry which was wayyyyyyyyyyyyy cheaper and when we were on the island we rented a golf cart all day and drove around the entire island and that cost was no more than $40 u.s. dollars. I think we had a way better time than if we were on someone else's time being rushed. We toke our time and took the last ferry back which was 5:30p.m. and toke the bus back. The only reason why i wouldn't go back is because i would like to try a resort on the other side of cancun were the waves are a lot calmer other than that GR solaris was perfect.

Con: Food and drinks were low quality
No night entertainment at the resort only karaoke
Rough waves

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Keraboo
Reviewed April 5, 2011

This is a smaller mom and pop type hotel compared to the other monsters that are situated on the main strip in Cancun. The hotel is attractive, clean and well managed and the staff are friendly and professional. The food is plentiful but one is advised to stay away from the hot dogs, burgers and pizza. The rule I developed was: If you have no idea what something is, eat it. It will mostly likely be worth the risk.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank taf22
Reviewed April 3, 2011

The resort is small but great. Mini fridge stocked daily, loved the shorty bottles of Sol beer ............. great for breakfast! The rooms are very clean and yes the hallways can be noisy. The building is made of concrete and tile, any little bit of noise will be enhanced and echo. The grounds are clean and staff is extremely friendly.

The food was "ok" nothing special but plentiful. Try everything and if you don't like it, don't eat it. The Marco Polo restaurant was a hit and miss. Ate there three times, twice good, once bad.

The pool bottom was very rough. It is similar to very small gravel. And yes, the water is a little cloudy. Pool bar is great! The ocean water and beach were beautiful but the surf is very rough, the red flags are posted for a reason (no swimming). I was told by the staff that February and March are very rough surf.

The entertainment people around the pool are fantastic. Especially Jenna (from Wisconsin), Monique and Danny. I'm 50+ and was consistently involved with activities though out the day. You can be as active as you want, there is also a quite pool if you prefer.

Make sure you take the time for a cup of special coffee prepared in the lobby between 4pm and 6pm every afternoon. This is some of the best coffee I have ever had.

All-round a great vacation!! Would definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple