Went with my girlfriend. We're med students, we were just looking for a relaxing week away from the city. I looked at the reviews a TON and would have to say they're pretty accurate - don't read too much into the really negative ones - people that hated their trips are 100x more likely to write on here.
Pros: GREAT service, cleaning ladies were amazing (made all sorts of cute animals with the towels, left beer, water, and sodas in the mini fridge every morning) free room service every morning was delivered right on time (free room service at all hours actually, and always within 30 minutes of your order), free wifi, free gym, free drinks all day long. bartenders were alway friendly and quick, a lady brought drinks out to you on the beach, just say something in spanish and they'll love you - we never felt pressured to leave a tip every single time we got a drink, although we always left a tip when I had my wallet with me. We got up early every morning (8a) to sign up for Marco Polo and that really made the trip - bought a bottle of wine every night and enjoyed some really good food there. They also make deals with local restaurants and take you there and back for free and the food there is free - so we went to Carlos and Charlies and Senior Frogs two of the nights, completely free. The food was good for lunch at Rosmarinus outside by the beach (lots of guacamole and good fish), and breakfast was really fantastic the mornings we didn't get room service (tons of fruit and an omelette station, lots of interesting meats which I never tried). Room service was too tempting though, with the incredible balcony overlooking the beach, so we did that most mornings. The beach was unbeatable, beautiful white sand and clear water. The pools were nice. The quiet pool was really quiet, the other pool had activities at it all day long, some were funny, some were stupid. If you're easily entertained, just sit and watch those performances. if you like quiet, go to the beach or the other pool. I personally wanted nothing to do with the spring breakers that would surely be in cancun then (we went on THE spring break week - Mar 12-19) and honestly wasn't bothered by them at this resort (we did however hear bad things about the sister resort being filled with spring breakers). Entertainment staff were hilarious and yoga classes in the morning on the beach were fun. I'm a serious gym buff/health nut and I was able to get by for a week at this gym and eat really healthy.
Cons: the dinner buffet we went to the first night was really scary. Hence going to Marco Polo every night (which we loved - we fell in love with our server Gilberto). the other clientele were also a little scary at times, but we weren't there to meet anyone, just to enjoy ourselves, and it wasn't hard to find quiet on the beach or the pools. The beds were a little hard - they did provide a mattress topper though. Walls were thin and the hallway was very echo-y; luckily we were at the end of the hallway. I couldn't imagine what it would have been like by the elevator in the middle of the hallway.
Overall, we loved our stay, thanks to a lucky room placement (king bed, end of the hallway, facing the beach), came back more in love than we were when we left (which is saying something because I'm pretty in love with this girl) and it was truly a sad day when we left. I look forward to going next year (if my parents will pay for it again).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- GR Solaris Cancun is an all inclusive beachfront resort that offers a range of facilities and a full slate of activities daily. Guests have access to two swimming pools, a spa tub, a 22.5-Meter (74-foot) stretch of beach, and a fitness center. The hotel also has a marina, where non-motorized water sports, tennis courts, and a volleyball court are available. Other amenities include concierge services, a spa, a hair salon, and laundry facilities (no dry cleaning services). Business amenities include meeting rooms, banquet facilities, event catering, a ballroom, and business center with Internet access (surcharge for all). Three restaurants, two snack bars, and two bars are on site. Room service is available 24 hours a day. NEW Wall climbing and mini cinema Solaris. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your GR Solaris Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gr Solaris Cancun Hotel Cancun
- Solaris Cancun
- Grand Solaris Cancun
- Gr Solaris Hotel Cancun
- Gr Solaris Cancun & Spa
- Gr Solaris Cancun Mexico
- Grand Royal Solaris Cancun