“Good price but problematic check-in”
Review of Aloft Cancun

Aloft Cancun
Ranked #66 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed December 31, 2013

If you are simply looking for accommodation in hotel zone in Cancun, this aloft hotel is a very good choice for its location and price. However, the hardware and service in this hotel are way below the level you may expect as a Starwood property.

Our check-in experience here is annoying. We arrived at 4pm and still waited for over an hour before we got the room card, while around us there were many other guests waiting for check-in. I was really amused by the management of this hotel. The room is named ocean view but the view is actually very narrow between two buildings on the beach and the close-type window is not big. The bed and bathroom are acceptably clean, but everything feels wet. One good thing for this hotel is that it locates in the heart of hotel zone so you can easily develop bars and restaurants and stores steps away from the hotel. To sum up, this is a perfect place for those who wants to stay in the center of hotel zone and has less concern in luxury amenity and service as in an all inclusive resort.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ivonne A, Social Media Coordinator at Aloft Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Hi superYY,

Thank you very much for have recently stayed with us and for taking some extra minutes of your time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

Despite of your mention of our convenient location, I am really sorry to read that your check in experience was not as good as we would aim it to be and we missed the chance to impress you but I want to thank but you can be sure that your feedback will definitely help us improve the products and services we offer to our guests.

In the meantime, if I may be of further service to you, please let me know.

Best regards,

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I went to Cancun for the first time with two friends and we couldn't have had a more amazing time! The entire Aloft staff was incredible! Before we were even able to check in we grabbed food in the restaurant and were immediately greeted and taken care of by the employees and the manager himself. The three of us cannot get over how friendly everyone was! We literally stayed at the hotel instead of going out a few of the nights because we were having such a good time with the people we met there. WE ALL JUST WANT TO COME BACK AND STAY FOREVER!
So if you guys are reading this (Joel, Ariel, Humberto, Armando, Oneil, Charlie, front desk), WE MISS YOU!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Em C

Thank you very much Em C!

For us is really important to read that you enjoy our hotel and had such a good times with our team. It is also great to read that the hotel talent were able to delight and deliver you an A+ experience; you can be sure I will extend your comments to the restaurant and front desk guys.

Don’t forget to give us a-buzz when you plan your next trip to Cancun so that we can continue to amuse you.

Warm Regards,

Ivonne Arellano

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We traveled to Cancun on work and decided to stay at Aloft Cancun for the days before the job and after as well. After arriving from our long journey, we stood at the reception desk for about ten minutes while the one girl helped another lady with an issue. When it was our turn at the reception desk, we gave our booking info and they told us that the room hadn't been booked yet. It was technically booked but not put in their booking system so they had to do that first. We were told to have a seat and they would get us squared away. After about 30 minutes of sitting in the lobby, no drinks offered, no bar attendant I went back to the empty reception desk and asked if we we're good to go. She said yes, but the room was not ready. This was at 4 pm. Our room would be ready around 6 we were told and they asked to put our luggage in a holding closet and tagged it. We changed in the lobby bathroom into our bathing suits. They do give passes to the Mandala Beach Club which is really nice as they are not beach front. The Mandala Beach club is pretty nice but pricey and it's hard to not order something. After a dip in the ocean we returned to the hotel and waited about 15 minutes in out wet stuff waiting for our room key as the girl was helping someone else. She was super nice, but something is broken in their check in process and it isn't her. She was busting tail to help but it seems out of her hands.We finally got to out room. It had a mildew smell and there was some sand on the floor and bed sheets. The room was nicely decorated and the TV was nice. The showers and supplies were great. The beds were big and comfy. The internet worked well. If you avoid buying anything inside or making any calls the price is quite reasonable for what you get. The prices for the food are high, but walking out to the left there is a great bunch of options for food at normal prices. As bad as the check in process was we didn't not enjoy our stay. I may be more patient than most people and I could see how the process is infuriating after a day of travel, but after you jump through the hoops and get a shower and a drink it gets better. The elevator floors are cool. I wish more places did that. I liked the art being sold in the lobby as it was a nice touch. The pool on the roof was closed to us as there was a wedding or something, so that was a bummer for us, but it looked really nice and we considered getting dressed up and sneaking in later in the evening. To sum it up, I would recommend this hotel to you for it's location, Mandala Beach Club pass, nice rooms despite the sand and mildew smell. It's a beach town so it's to be expected I guess? If your in town for a night or two, but not an extended stay. You can do better for a week trip. If work takes me back to Cancun, I would consider staying there again, but I would still look around for better before booking. It was pleasant yet frustrating, kind yet cold. Hopefully management will fix the obviously broken check in process and enable his kind, patient staff to be able to do their jobs more efficiently. It would be a better place with some changes.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JonLaLi
Ivonne A, Social Media Cordinator at Aloft Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Hi JonLaLi,

Thank you very much for writing a review for us on Trip Advisor. For us is very important to learn about our guest perception regarding our services and facilities.

Despite it is encouraging to learn that our talents were able to provide you a nice service, I am really sorry that you have to experience a delay on the room delivery. That is certainly not the experience we aim to provide to our guest, we will work harder to impress our future guests and yourself in the near future.

If your travels take you back to Cancun, I hope you visit us to amaze and amuse you at Aloft Cancun.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

We booked the Aloft in Cancun because of the great price we saw! I believe it was $65 a night! Which is incredibly reasonable when you check around at other hotels around the area. This is not all inclusive. However it is a SPG hotel, so if you have stayed at an Aloft before, you know what to expect.

The room was nothing short of what we expected. Clean, Modern, and Comfortable. Air conditioning and a refrigerator. A major plus for us, was the internet was high speed and we have no problems. The rooftop pool is pretty neat too! A nice place to lounge around on a day you have nothing planned. Also, they have a washer and dryer for use for guests. Of course, you buy the soap, but hey we thought that was pretty cool.

They let us check in a hour and a half early. As well as we felt safe the whole time we were there. As a side note, check the elevator floors, pretty cool and something only a SPG hotel would do! The staff was friendly and attentive.

We stayed 9 days there. The location is fabulous! A five minute walk in one way or the other, you are to a beach. There are two different ones that are five minutes away. The local club/bar area is about a 7 minute walk! Which was great for us! There are many restaurants and shopping areas near by as well! And the flea market, although I would suggest Market 23 to get souvenirs. But the location was super great for us.

All in all our stay was pretty good. Of course, it's a Aloft and not a W, but it was to the standards we expected, and a super reasonable rate. We would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Misti M
Ivonne A, Social Media Coordinator at Aloft Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Hi Misti M!

Thank you for having recently stayed with us and taking some minutes of your time to write such a nice review for us.

Great to read that we have been able to delight & deliver an a+ experience and that you liked our facilities like the Splash rooftop pool and our comfortable rooms. As you mentioned, we are conveniently located on the heart of the night life of the hotel zone here in Cancun and we are really glad to read that this was a plus for you!

Give us a-buzz on your next trip to Cancun so that we can amaze and amuse you once again.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Our stay in Aloft Cancun was really terrible.

Check in: There was no other guest around and we were attended immediately. However, the entire check in process took more than 30 mins. The guy attending to us did not seemed to know what he is doing. We thought he might be new since he was constantly refering his doubts to another staff. However, the other staff looks equally as blur and both of them were clicking away on the computer as we waited very patiently. Finally we got our keys.

Room: The room was not what we paid for. We paid for a king size ocean view room but only got a king size lagoon view. When we confronted the reception, they said they have a ocean view room but only double bed. So, it is either or. I was amazed, since we paid for the specific room. Not as to wasted time, we settled for the current room (King size, lagoon view). The room was musty in smell. The floor was wet, not sure if its small puddle of water or was it condensation. The deco of the room was not Starwood quailty and had coffee machines without coffee. Complimentary water was not replenished everyday. Overall, i tiped-toe everywhere i went. Opposite to the information provided to us in our confirmation email, Wi-fi was virtually non-existent in the room. Anyway, one of the room card was not working again the next day.

Check out: Again, the same two staff was mending the reception and it took a frustrating long time to check out. The confirmation email sent to us stated that our credit card has been charged but the staff told us we have not paid for it. At this point, our shuttle bus is already waiting for us at the pouch. In the end we gave him our credit card and made the transaction. We boarded the bus. Then the same staff came running to us and knock on our bus door and said he needed our credit card again for more information to be keyed into their system. *shocked*.

Ok, I am as tired now typing so much as I am dealing with Aloft cancun during my Christmas vacation.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Daren L

Dear Daren L

Thanks for sharing your experience with us during your recent visit to out hotel. Your feedback is important to us as a new hotel in order to deliver an a+ experience to all our guests.

While the team works extremely hard to get things right, we do on occasion suffer setbacks. We do take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. I do apologize for the issues you have raised.

Thanks again for your feedback because this will definitely help us improve the products and services we offer our guests.

In the meantime, if I may be of further service to you, please let me know.

Best regards,

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Just checked out of the Aloft today following a four night stay. (booked on Orbitz flight + hotel deal)

My stay was comfortable and enjoyable. Employees provided good customer service even though they were often overwhelmed.

Pros:

modern/chic feel of rooms
air conditioning worked great
nice glass door showers
rainfall showers (ceiling)
employees work hard to provide good customer service
convenience to clubs, pharmacies, small stores, starbucks and professional massages
nice pool area (roof top garden)
rooms have Mr. Coffee makers
free use of small steam room/sauna
free bottle of water each day
free laundry (one washer one dryer)
mini frigs
toiletries are of high quality
free wifi

Cons:

front desk consistently overwhelmed (never enough employees to deal with flow)
rooms consistently not ready for check ins
no coffee supplied for coffee makers (always had to ask and it was always instant decaf)
only one washer and dryer for entire property
not on beach (limited beach access)

I usually stay at the Marriott properties in Cancun and have developed certain expectations.
In my opinion, Aloft is hampered by structural and management issues. With a viable labor source in Cancun, its strikes me strange that the Aloft never seems to have enough employees working (front desk/housekeeping/pool area)

Also the attention to details is lacking:
towels should be provided on location at pool
pool loungers should have comfortable pads ready each morning consistently (early)
coffee provided in rooms

Would I stay again? Most likely for a couple of days and then move on to a beach front property to have best of both worlds. If one is looking for a good, cool place to stay to enjoy the night life then you will like the Aloft.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank bsamgbane

Dear bsamgbane,

Thank you very much for taking some minutes of your time to write a review for us.

For us is very important to get our guests feedback so we can pinpoint the areas we need to focus on. It was really encouraging to read that our talents were able to provide you an A+ experience and but we also read that despite your stay was enjoyable, you experienced some inconvenients during your stay and we apologize about that, you can be sure we will take them very seriously to improve our services and facilities.

Please give us a buzz next time you are in town, we will be more than happy to host you and show you our improvements.

Kind regards,

Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

The Aloft Hotel in Cancun is very new yet very disappointing. We arrived and had a lot luggage, but the door host did not offer to help with the luggage. Luckily, they had one airport style cart where we stacked 6 pieces of luggage with difficulty. However, none of the staff in the lobby seemed to care. We were sent via mail pre checked-in room keys, but they said those were not valid at their location. After a very long and tiresome journey we were told that our room was not ready. Keep in mind it was already nighttime when we arrived and we are Starwood Preferred Guest members. Because of this we were offered member points or a voucher for two cocktails at the bar. Since the room was not ready, we chose the drinks. We had a Mojito and Chardonnay by the lobby bar. The ambiance is mostly for young adults. Not very cozy or welcoming. We finally made it to our Gold Member Preferred Guest long awaited room. It was located immediately next to the gym. While this might seem to be a plus, we could feel and hear all the fitness equipment pounding on the bed wall. The room was not too big. Partial view of the ocean with a rather small window. There is a small fridge, an analog bedside clock a small bench and a small desk. It was clean, but uninviting. The bed and towels were not Heavenly Starwood signature at all. The music from the local bars and discos can be heard throughout the night from the fourth floor. Once checked out I was approached by a staff member who asked if I needed a taxi to the airport. I told him we had already secured our transportation with a taxi driver a few blocks away and he got upset. I told him we were offered a $300 pesos rate instead of $800 by the hotel. He kept ranting about some control norms and what not. Bottom line is, I'm not paying more than I need to for the same service. Overall, this hotel has damaged my perception of Starwood Hotels. It should be inspected for quality control. As regular visitors to Cancun, we will never stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank skyrat1977
Ivonne A, Social Media Coordinator at Aloft Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Dear skyrat1977

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for us, the comments and feedback from our guests is very important to us because they help us to focus on the areas that need our attention.

We are very disappointed to read that you did not experienced a warm welcome, that is not the way we want our guests to feel treated or the service we aim to provide. You can be sure that your comments will be used to make us work harder in order to improve our service and the promptness of the rooms, please accept our most sincere apologies.

If your travels take you back to Cancun someday in the near future, I hope you can visit us to witness our improvements.

Kind regards,