“Fabulous, friendly snorkelling trip for all the family.”

Caribbean Connection
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Caribbean Connection is one of the largest marine tour operators in the Mexican Caribbean. Home of the famous Whale Shark swimming tour along with the Contoy Island Ecoadventure (a federal reserve and bird sanctuary), Isla Mujeres all inclusive and diving.
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This was our first trip out from our resort & we bought it from the guys on the beach - had to pay cash, but it was A LOT less expensive than buying through our resort.
The transfer was comfortable & the greeting was great.

Our boat was not full, which was pleasant & the staff were brilliant. I can't remember all their names, but Marco made a special effort with our kids. After the initial snorkel, which was only 5 mins from land we went to the Isla Mujeres, where we pulled up to a shallow beach & walked to see more fish - my kids absolutely LOVED this bit - no buoyancy aids & there were so many fish to see, it was amazing. Also saw pelicans too.. All vey special. Marco found some spiky sea urchins which he shows my children & even my 5 yr old held it on her hand - we all loved it.
Before lung we were given 1.5hrs to shop on the island - some bartering to be had, but seemed a very poor area & we were happy to pay full price.
Then off to a BBQ lunch & a swim in the pool and/or sea - all brilliant.
After lunch we did a tour around the island, with a fabulous tour guide, speaking great English.

Great day out, thoroughly recommend.

1  Thank Heidi B
"rent a wet suit"
"small breakfast"
"wear a life vest"
in 4 reviews
"the crystal clear water"
"amazing experience"
in 15 reviews
"swim fast"
"open ocean"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed August 7, 2013

45 minute boat trip then drop anchor for some snorkelling (anyone who hasn't done snorkelling before is not allowed at this point). After 20 minutes we sailed onto the island where a tour was available to explain the islands features, if you take the tour make sure you have mosquito repellent as they will eat you alive. Then to a lunch of fish, chicken, rice and salad, only issue was the flies... fun to see the hermit crabs lunching on the leftover rice, you can then go for another snorkel round an island to see the wonderful array of colourful fish or just relax and swin in the crystal clear water of the bay. Sun block a must as it was roasting...

1  Thank DavidWestwood
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Best part of this was the snorkelling, lovely fish and sharks. The island is very boring, full of mosquitoes. Food (the little bit you get) is cooked on a filthy BBQ. If I'd have seen it before hand I wouldn't have eaten. No one offered you a drink, you had to ask, and it was meant to be all inclusive!!!

1  Thank mandyj407
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We booked the Isla Mujeres unlimited tour in the lobby of our resort. They picked us up in our lobby. We had to pay $7 per person at the location for some kind of mandatory government taxes. We were told by the rep at our resort that we would be on a catamaran, we were not, we were on a ferry type boat. We were also told we were going to snorkle in a marine park...we did not...we snorkled 5 minutes from take off and the water was ok but we were covered in some sort of oil film on our bodies. Even looking through the goggles in the water was foggy. Seen some fish, but not the greatest area to snorkle. We were near the path of the main ferry that transports from cancun to Isla Mujeres which could be why the oil?? The boat ride itself was ok, just not what we expected. The crew was great and very nice. Hands down for the boat crew!! The shopping part of the tour on Isla Mujeres was ok, not the greatest...did not like the store owners grabbing me and pulling me into the store...my husband and myself and our 11yr old quickly went back to the boat to wait, everyone that was on the boat with us followed after 10 minutes. The lunch at a resort they brought us to was very good...the resort not so much..old and ran down. My son was attacked my fire ants..welps all over his feet..but hey it can happen wont fault the resort or the company. But all in all we felt the tour company who sold us this tour scammed us. It was ok to see the island, but for the price and the snorkeling area very
disappointed! Not to mention the transport driver we had kept falling asleep at the wheel...he was trying his very best to stay awake...really wish I got his name.

1  Thank emmalyne
See more reviews
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I booked the swimming with the Whale Sharks through www.swimwithwhalesharks.com. The total cost of US$175 included pick up/drop off from my hotel (Secrets Maroma 20km from Playa Del Carmen), boat to the sharks, a small cake and juice for breakfast, water, beer and a sandwich for lunch.

This tour is absolutely BRILLIANT, the guys on the boat (captain and helper) were very helpful, polite and both spoke english. There was a family from France who had a 6 year old and an 11 year old and they all got in the water with the gentle giants of the sea.

These fish are HUGE, there were maybe 100 sharks in the area where we were and sometimes you were surrounded by 3 - 4 sharks. They were only interested in the food and not us, one of our (silly) guys on the boat got in front of the shark and it turned suddenly meaning he got 'bumped' by shark, they did not really hurt him and the shark really couldn't care less, the guy got a fright though!!!

Points of note: the car trip was about an hour from my hotel and then 45 minutes in the boat. Whilst moving I was fine but once it stopped the boat is very rocky and I became sea sick. take tablets for sickness. Even though i was sick I would still def recommend this trip.

1  Thank Rob186337