“Nizuc "Nose of the Dog"”

NIZUC Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Loveland, Colorado, United States
“Nizuc "Nose of the Dog"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was our first visit to Cancun. My husband and I had the absolute pleasure of celebrating our 9th year anniversary at Nizuc, after exhaustive research of the hundreds of places to stay between Playa Mujeres and Tulum. I knew the service would excellent when I began receiving welcome emails from Mariana, the Guest Recognition Manager, prior to our arrival to ensure everything was set for our stay. We were not disappointed in the slightest! Nizuc is absolutely amazing. I am a hedonist through and through (in the best possible sense of the word) and Nizuc met and in most cases exceeded my expectations. While it's true that the resort is not quite finished, we requested a quiet room away from the construction area and truly weren't bothered by the little hub-bub that there is going on at the other end of the resort (mostly away from sight) during the day.

Upon our arrival to the resort, we were greeted with a very warm welcome, cold washcloths to freshen up and a much needed refreshment after a day of travel to the resort. There was a sumptuous, chocolate mousse cake waiting for us in our room, acknowledging our 9th year wedding anniversary. As far as I am concerned, we had THE best Ocean Front Suite in the resort (room 122). The room had an absolutely breathtaking view of the beach, the ocean, the infinity pool, the fire pit between Ramona and Ni (restaurants) and a romantic view of the pier, which is elegantly lit at night.

Our first evening, we had dinner at La Punta Grill, a bungalow style, open-air restaurant that looks out over an infinity pool and the ocean. Our waiter was extremely attentive (missed his name) and suggested a to-die-for drink called the IK margarita. Each of the restaurants at the resort serves this drink in slightly different formats with slightly different touches, but hands down the best margarita I've ever had in my life! Careful though it's lightly infused with habanero peppers! Not to worry, it's not too spicy; it's just right. We quickly learned that while all dishes at all of the restaurants are noteworthy in their own right, the variety and array of ceviche is the way to go. The arranchera steak served at La Punta Grill, however, is not to be missed!

The night of our arrival there were two private evening events, one on the pier and one in-between the restaurants below our room. We opened the sliding glass doors to our balcony and fell asleep to the sounds of the ocean and live string instruments playing below. It was lovely, a memory that will stay with me forever as one of the best ways I ever fell asleep.

While it is tempting to give the nitty-gritty details of each and every day of our 5 night stay at Nizuc, I'll spare those reading this review and cut to the chase.

Pros: The service at Nizuc was superior, truly a cut above, genuine and lovely. A few individual stars during our stay were Sandra (mi tocayo) our butler, Narcizo a server at Café de la Playa, Arecely a massage therapist at the Spa, the chef at Ni, and Rossy our housekeeper. Everyone was wonderful, but those mentioned above stood out for us and made our stay special.
Aesthetically, one could hardly ask for more. Nizuc has it all: peaceful, pleasing to the eye, and as of yet a bit undiscovered and as a consequence delightfully quiet. The food was amazing at all of the restaurants; however, our favorite meal was the lunch prepared for us by Ni's chef. He put together a variety of ceviche for us to try. Unbelievable good! Then, we had Ni's equivalent of bread pudding, which was equally compelling. This was after we had kayaked around the bay in the heat of the sun and had worked up quite an appetite. If there is a mantra to be imparted, it would be "When in doubt, go for the ceviche." We were equally impressed with Indochine's spicy tuna role. Yum, yum, and more yum! The most unusual fare we had the pleasure of experiencing were the octopus (turns out I like octopus) and the fried Jamaica flowers at Bar A-Kan. Our favorite poolside drink was the explosion served in a pineapple! Our favorite dessert was the churros served with Mexican chocolate at Ramona! One night we ordered ceviche and churros in our room and had dinner on our balcony looking out over the ocean. Amazing! Last but not least (food-wise) is Café de Playa. Wow, wow, wow. I am someone who generally isn’t a fan of buffets; however, the breakfast spread offered at Café de Playa, not to mention the visual appeal of the restaurant itself, was remarkable and second to none. They had every kind of fresh juice known to man, a smoothie bar, fresh fruit, fresh pastries, a made-to-order omelet and crepe station, fresh cheese, smoked salmon, and did I mention pastries? The wait staff at Café de Playa were so attentive and kind--it was like waking up in a dream where everyone is so exceedingly kind.

The aesthetics of the rooms at Nizuc are amazing! The bed was exceedingly comfortable! Wonderful showers, visually appealing, couldn't have been better! Even though the rooms have beautiful, flat-screen TVs in the bedroom and bathroom, we didn’t turn them on, not even once. Instead, we hooked up our iPhones to the stereo in the room and listened to music as we watched the sunrise and sunset from our balcony. The servers at the pool were also extremely attentive and thorough. Our last evening we stayed late at the pool, which by then was like a pleasantly warm bathtub. We watched the most amazing sunset, bringing our stay to a perfect close.

Cons: Okay, there aren't many, but by way of constructive feedback, here, are a few things for resort management to consider. The concierge staff were truly very helpful and sweet; however, they need to get out and actually go visit the local restaurants and sites so that they can truly recommend specifics to visitors who, like us, generally haven't the faintest idea where to start. While Nizuc does offer excursions, they are exorbitantly priced. They should revisit the pricing of the excursions and airport transfers and consider offering a free shuttle service to/from Playa and Cancun. This would add that high-end touch that I think many guests would appreciate and frankly may expect at a resort of this caliber. We ended up renting a car for two days and exploring the area ourselves, which was quite fun. In fact, next time we won't mess with transfers and cabs, we'll just rent a car for the entire time. This brings me to point number 2. We were told the car rental would cost us $30 USD a day; try $130/day. They shouldn't tout prices before they do their due diligence. Had I known, I would have booked a car from the U.S. Point 3: The Spa/Gym wasn't finished and the makeshift one was severely lacking. My husband and I opted for a couples massage and the massage therapist who worked on my husband, Areceley, was great. In fact, I had her the day before for a 30 min. reflexology treatment, which was lovely. However, the very nice, well-intentioned massage therapist who worked on me was not properly trained and basically did nothing more than rub oil all over me offering little to no therapeutic value. This was the one and only disappointment for us during our stay and certainly not worth the amount of money we paid. My understanding is that Nizuc will have one if not the largest spas in Cancun once it opens. My advice to management would be to gear up with qualified staff because one person can't do it all! They need to get trained massage therapists, hair stylists, estheticians, trainers, etc. to warrant the steep prices. Guests who stay at a resort like Nizuc don't mind paying out the ear for spa treatments, but they better be worth the time and money! In a similar vein, the boutique needs help. Too pricey with irrelevant high-end jewelry. They need a new buyer. The boutique could be awesome, but it's simply lackluster. Finally, the beach...if you want to take long walks across uninterrupted stretches of pristine sand, you'll need to plan an excursion to one of the many public beaches that will allow you to do so. Nizuc is situated on an inlet, which is breathtaking in its own right, but doesn't allow for long walks along the shoreline. Don't let this minor point deter you, however. Just plan an excursion to Playa or Tulum.

In sum, we would go back to Nizuc in a heartbeat! Truly, one of the best vacations we have ever enjoyed (and we've lived and traveled all over North America, Asia, and Europe). Well, done Nizuc! Thank you for your hospitality and for making our 9th anniversary a memorable one!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Scarriz72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Jersey City, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We have stayed at Nizuc for past ten days with our two year old toddler. As many people mentioned here, we were greeted by number of people when we arrived to Nizuc.

During our stay we changed our rooms three times. We reserved our room through bookit.com so we received a complementary upgrade to ocean view. Our first room was located in a distant site that we had go with a golf car. The room was nice but the noise and sound of water flow in the room was distracting (many of the rooms in Nizuc has private pool which are heated upon resident's request which makes noise in rooms below). The butler changed us to another room that was quiet and bigger, Jr. suite, which had a small pool in the balcony. But due to the location and pool there were many mosquitoes and our toddler was bit harshly (no wonder why every room had bug repellant spray). So we changed to another room where it was located in the building most restaurants were nearby. The room was quiet with better view and had less mosquitoes. We still found bugs in the room but our butler treated our room that made the condition better. The last room was good but the motor of the shade did not work and the ones in previous rooms.

Service: Service was excellent. Everyone was friendly. People from pool were great! Since we stayed in different rooms we had chance to meet different butlers and they were all great. They found us in restaurants, pool, and anywhere to ask if things were okay and made things accessible when we asked. Having worked as consultant in NYC and traveled in many hotels, I've never received such service before. I can't ask more for the service and attention to detail than I've received in Nizuc.

Restaurants: Price in restaurants are 85% of the price you would pay in fine restaurants in NYC. Qualities/Prices were better than foods outside of the hotel (e.g. Destilaria (?), Abuela, etc). We didn't enjoy foods in Ni, except seafood cevice and fried banana. If I would Zagat rate for foods here it would be somewhere 20-22. We liked foods from La Punta and Cafe de la playa. Although many people praised foods from Indochine, we weren't much impressed with this place. Their price is expensive for the quality of the foods they serve. They say the chef is from Philippine, but not all Philippines are not good cooks. In this restaurant, we have asked for more tomatoes for my toddler and they brought us a side of half cut cherry tomatoes and charged us 50 pesos for that. Even restaurants in NYC don't charge $5 for five pieces of the half cut cherry tomatoes. Our best experience was in Terra Nostra. Before we went to this place our favorite places were Cafe de la playa, La Punta, and room service (no wonder you don't see many people in other restaurants when foods from room service were better). Chef Daniello was great. Foods here were impeccable even they are compared to the ones we dined in NYC (we dine highly rated Italian restaurants in NYC like Babbo). My husband and I say that the experience in Terra Nostra was one of the best we've had in Nizuc or in Cancun (we've been to Cancun a couple of times). Foods in Ramona were good, but my husband and I wanted to eat more traditional Mexican foods, so we just dined here once during our ten day stay.

Rooms: Rooms were clean. Some of the building were so new that you could still smell the paint. Design was modern but some of the things were not thoroughly thought about. For example, closets were tall, which I don't mind, but the magnifying mirror was set too low even for a person of height 5'3''. Depending which maid comes to clean your room the service varied. I wish they were more consistent on this, since sometimes we had to call the room service and ask to clean/bring more things.

Overall, we liked this hotel. The only thing we did not like about this hotel was the amount of mosquitoes/bugs in the site. For example, when we asked why children were not permitted in La Punta, they just said it's because of the location had strong wind at night. But when we were there, it wasn't the wind. The restaurant only opens for dinner and there were a lot of mosquitoes at night that we couldn't finish eating our food but leave the table. I guess, there are many mosquitoes in the hotel because many parts of the hotel are still under construction. Perhaps, once their construction is finished, the sited will be better place to stay.

1 Thank azsxdcfvgb46531
Cupertino, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

I confidently chose Nizuc Resort for a short getaway with my husband and our 8-year old daughter after reading the excellent reviews on Tripadvisor. We stayed at Nizuc from July 14- July 17. My expectation is a place that's as great as Capella Pedregal in Cabo.

Upon arrival at the lobby, our expectation was at par with what we saw. Upon seeing where our Ocean View Junior Suite was located, we were greatly disconcerted. I was not aware of the presence of construction sites at the Nizuc, otherwise I would have chosen another destination altogether. We came to Cancun solely based on reviews. I was greatly dismayed at the sight of constructions literally right next to our unit. Though when we arrived, there wasn't any construction going on as it was a Sunday evening, I could already imagine what was to come the next morning when construction activities resume. I hinted my disappointment very "subtly" to our butler Bernardo as he was showing us the unit but it wasn't perceived as I had hoped, so I had to reiterate it in a nice verbal request to be moved to another unit that is further away from the construction site. At my verbal request, Bernardo received it very proficiently and moved us to the same type of room one building away from construction site. The next morning as I opened the doors to the balcony, we could all hear the constructions in full force. One can only imagine our disappointment. We tried to move on and stay positive for we did not wish to let anything spoil our short getaway.

However, on the second day, after a wonderful lunch at Ni, I could not contain my disappointment any longer that I communicated my dissatisfaction to Izanami who was at the front desk at the time. I presented it to Izanami as an "input" to management. The ONE issue that I had was how there was nowhere in the resort website that "warns" prospective guests about the constructions that are present at the resort. I had read one review on Tripadvisor that mentioned the constructions but that review was made back in March of this year and every other reviews including the recent ones are all wonderful, hence I assumed the resort is now ready and fully-functioning. In addition, when I called the resort to confirm my booking on the resort online reservation system, Georgina on the phone, did not warn me either of the construction site that's present for the type of room I had chosen which is the Ocean View Junior Suite. I really do not comprehend how Nizuc management did not put it out there for guests to understand in PLAIN WORDS that they are still having constructions around the resort.

Izanami received my concern well, and he said that he would forward it to management. My husband and I had gone out from the resort for a couple of hours and when we came back, our butler, Bernardo greeted us pleasantly and politely asked us if we would like to take a look at the Villa located in the main building area and that they could move us there as a free upgrade. Initially, I wasn't very keen on moving into a Garden Pool Villa With Pavillion for the reason we chose to be in Cancun was because we wanted to see the water from our room. However, our only option now, in order to "save" our short vacation is to be in a unit that's without construction noise. The Ocean Suites which I did not mind to move to are for adult-only guests and it would be a "downgrade" from the Ocean View Junior Suite with a dipping pool that we had. Finally, we agreed to move to the Villa. Bernardo did an impeccable service in moving us, he did the packing and unpacking for us and I was very impressed at how he had put all our belongings exactly the same way as how I had arranged them in the previous room. They had also placed a surprise beautiful Anniversary chocolate mousse cake at our Villa when we got there. I had mentioned on the phone with Georgina that we were also celebrating our 15th anniversary this year. We really appreciate the efforts and services of the personnels.

We started to FEEL MORE at A RESORT, now that we were moved right next to the main building. Things started to feel like how we had expected to feel when going to a nice resort. Our new butler, Aldo took good care of us for the remaining of our stay. He also showed us the different units at the main building and also at the Residence buildings and made us understand the whole layout of the resort very well.

Our 8-year-old daughter was very happy and attached to the girls at the Kids' Club. Laura, Paula and Andrea were all GREAT. Our daughter had an awesome time doing drawing, painting, swimming, building castles and collecting sea shells at the beach the whole day. She cried on the last day, she was not ready to leave as of yet. Our daughter had talked about her upcoming birthday plans in a conversation at the Kids Club. To her and our surprise, they had delivered an "early birthday" cake for her at the Villa.

During our 3-night stay, we ate ONLY at the resort, and I must say that all the restaurants at Nizuc are WONDERFUL! We were very impressed with the quality of the food and service. EVERYONE who had waited on us at all the restaurants at Nizuc was wonderful. There were a number personnels at the pool/beach who had helped us and they were all very good as well. Hector was very friendly and he was kind to offer to take pictures for us when we were roaming about in the pool by La Punta. Lunch at Ni was wonderful and delicious. The drinks are delightful.

Finally, I would like to thank Izanami for taking actions in turning our last 2 days of stay at Nizuc to be a positive one. I sincerely hope this lengthy review would prompt Nizuc Management to inform other prospective guests in regards to the ongoing constructions at the Residence Suites. In my case, I would have had the option of choosing another suite type or even postponing my trip altogether until the resort is ready to receive its guests properly as its existence intends. In return, this would have spared both your guests and personnels the negative vibes and the trouble of moving suites during a vacation.

P.S: Management needs to do something about the mosquitos situation. I have never been to a tropical resort where there are so many mosquitos. I had 12 mosquito bites even after applying the repellent spray.

Room Tip: Do not stay at The Residence Suites where constructions are still going on. Do stay at the Ocean Vie...
9 Thank Putri_Angel
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

50th Birthday @ Nizuc Resort & Spa July 8 – 14, 2013
Let me start by saying this special birthday will always be remembered! Upon arrival at Nizuc Resort & Spa I was greeted by several Nizuc staff members. After introductions and the infamous Nizuc greeting of “Hello from the Heart”, I was given a welcome drink by Raoul. Who then promptly took my luggage to my room. I absolutely loved the King Ocean View Master Suite!!! From this moment on my birthday celebration just kept getting better and better The butler then checked on my family’s arrival and we began the tour of the resort, which was amazing.
As Leslie showed me around with explanation and history as we went I was so impressed with this resort. She led me to the pools and beach area and all I wanted to do was walk in the virgin sand and water as she talked. I think I found a bit of paradise here on earth. Loved it!
Next we decided to enjoy the beach and the warm waters. Syed was there to greet us as well as Mario and assured us if we needed anything to just let them know. Leslie, Francisco, Alfonzo, Bernado, and Raul throughout the stay made sure we wanted for nothing. Francisco was always there making sure we knew how to catch cabs ride the bus or giving us directions to where we were going. The day trip to Playa del Carmen was also amazing. And the recommendation to have lunch at Mamitos Beach Club was great! I loved walking 5th avenue with the different shops.
Dinners everywhere were great all the host(s) went out of the way to make sure they catered to us. We dined at LaPunta Grill and Indochine and also enjoyed the buffet breakfast each and every morning. Leslie always left notes for Bernado and Alfonzo or vice versa to make sure our excursion/ and or day was planned.
At different times during the week I kind of had the feeling something was going on but couldn’t quite confirm anything. Actually walked into a planning meeting and still couldn’t quite say for sure what my sisters were planning. With the help of Leslie, all the chefs of Nizuc, and the Spa team my sisters had planned a surprise “Sister Massage” and a magnificent romantic dinner on the beach for my birthday! It was so funny because I kept trying to get to the beach to paddle board and Kayak with Manuel and they kept coming up with all these reasons why I needed to wait. First one had to take a shower that seemed to last forever, this was the stall to by time for the special massage. The massage even though in a temporary location (was not an issue at all) was the most relaxing I have ever experienced. I felt like I could walk on clouds afterwards. Afterward my family and I walk out to the beach and low and behold the chefs are setting up the most beautiful, romantic, dinner for somebody (I think, I hope, I really really hope it’s for me!) dinner. They have these tiki torches in the sand leading up to a table with candles and flowers and it looks awesome. Turns out this beautiful, romantic, beach setting that I saw is all for me, now I feel like a princess, a celebrity, special in all kinds of ways!!! I’m giggling like a kid and loving it all at the same time.
The birthday dinner was great my sister had worked with Chef Vincent and the other chefs to come up with the perfect menu just for me: Conch Fritters (my favorite), filet mignon (cooked Hawaiian style), a baby lobster that was as tender as they come followed by homemade ice cream and chocolate cake. Five days later and I’m still full and re-visioning it all as I tell you about it. They even had our own music out on the beach. Now for the tears and when I say tears I mean boo hoo, break down crying tears. My sister Keesha (the visionary for this whole dinner) had tasked Leslie to find lanterns and she did. We each had a lantern and then there was one for my mom. Talk about special not only was the night perfect but Keesha even found a way to include my mother….I couldn’t ask or want for another thing. This is now so overwhelming emotions are running and I am feeling so blessed and loved words cannot describe.
I truly do not know how many people were involved in making this all happen but from the bottom of my heart I am humbled to know that I am loved this much and my thanks to everyone at Nizuc Resort & Spa that had a part of making this the most memorable night of my life.

Room Tip: I tried to take housekeeping home with me they were great. They serviced the room 3 times a day. L...
5 Thank Renee M
Peachtree City
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Last minute birthday trip and disappointed with the value, 1k per day and not worth it. Beware of 160 dolla fare from airport 15 minutes away. One can catch a cab for 50 dollars. Concierge services...well i never met that person and therefore I was on my own for what to do. with that being said, it was a waste of money. At a 1000 per day (thats including dinner and lunch), they should want to know their guests and sugest recommendations on how to spend their time. Manager met us at deoarture time and implied about our stay. She seemed genuinely concerned and said we will be hearing from them..I am still waiting

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Dr Artie R
Sylvan Lake, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

After a stressful and harrowing time flying to Cancun, the moment we settled into our room at the Nizuc resort, I felt all the troubles of the travel day dissipate. The bed was amazingly comfortable, the ocean view from the bed was picture postcard beautiful and the staff that welcomed us provided soothing ambience. Everyone at the resort had smiles and made us feel like we were royalty; my husband and I were amazed how everyone greeted us by name. This resort is perhaps one of the most beautiful we ever encountered in our travels. From Narcizo who welcomed us every morning for breakfast, Hector, Alfredo and the staff at the pool and beach, the front desk, the valet staff, the staff and managers at the restaurants... well, we were bowled over with the exceptional level of service and enthusiasm. A special thanks to Mario who found my husband's iphone too!
All the raving reviews given to Nizuc resort are very well deserved and you will not be disappointed.
This trip was to celebrate our anniversary and we wanted a relaxing vacation where schedules and time restraints were non existent. We left Nizuc rested and renewed... our experiences and memories that we took from this trip I will remember fondly.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LYWilliams
El Segundo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed at Nizuc from 6/14-6/21. We initially had our reservation booked at La Blanc but after we discovered the very positive reviews and beautiful pictures for this resort, we decided to change our reservation. Overall, we were very impressed. The resort is beautiful and the staff is overall very friendly and very professional.

The food at all of the restaurants was excellent as well as the pool side service. Many of the staff seemed to take a lot of pride in their work and we really appreciated that. I can't remember all of the staff names but some of the people who were particularly helpful to us were Alfonso, the butler, Pepe, waiter at the pool, and Isaac at La Punta restaurant. There were many who were great but, unfortunately, I can't remember all of their names.

I read that this resort just opened in March and although we went in mid-June, we were surprised by how few guests we saw around. I really hope Nizuc picks up its business because it really is a wonderful place to stay.

One tip to remember is that all food receipts already include a 15% gratuity. Unfortunately, we didn't realize this for the majority of the trip so the staff really made out. However, I can't think of another staff that provided such good service overall and they deserved it.

In a nutshell, I say visit this resort!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple