“They tried to please, but they should have known better...”
Review of Havana Dive

Havana Dive
More attraction details
Owner description: Our diving center offer: scuba diving in cancun, cenotes and cozumel. Easy and fun instruction for beginners.Padi certification every levels.Come with us and discover the museum underwater. Snorkeling tours: cancun, cenote and akumal.Personal service,the best equipmet and qualified instructors to offer you the best experience in scuba diving.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our dive trip was organized as part of a wedding with about 25 people diving. The dive shop worked intensively with the wedding party to try and organize a good trip - and I completely understand that it's not easy to cater to so many people - however there are a lot of things that could have, and should have, been done better.

Pros:
All gear needs and sizes were collected in advance and the gear was waiting when we arrived to speed up the whole process
The boat was decorated with a big wedding banner
It was nice to be able to dive with the wedding party
They tried to be flexible to meet the wishes of the wedding party

Cons:
They packed way more people on the boat than it could comfortably fit and we were falling over one another not only on the boat but during the dive
We were told that we were doing 2 dives at specific sites but they only took us on 1 dive at a completely different site
There was no pre-dive briefing given to alert us of the change in plans - we found out only after getting out of the water from the 1st (only) dive
When I asked if the price was still the same the owner responded that we did 1 long dive (50mins) instead of 2 short ones (30 mins) because "it's more about bottom time, not the number of dives"...in my many diving experiences I have never heard of a "short" dive unless someone is running out of air and I feel this was a very very poor response.
Most good dive shops offer fruit or healthy snacks on the boat, we were offered a box of cookies

What they should have done:
Better communication - give a pre-dive briefing
Better expectation setting and overall trip management - if you know the boat and dive will not be comfortable with so many people then tell the wedding party it's not a good idea to go with such a large group, break it into a couple of smaller groups instead, but still hit the same sites
Don't be so greedy - charging 25 people $70-$80 for one 50 minute dive is unacceptable
Don't make excuses after the fact, admit when you've bitten off more than you can chew and try to make up for the situation.

And the kicker: After receiving a bad review on tripadvisor they contacted the groom and asked him to offer the reviewer their money back if they would remove the review... The reviewer felt so bad about upsetting the groom that he is actually trying to get the review removed...

I'm sorry but you can't buy a better reputation - you earn it by leveraging your experience to ensure that expectations are set in a way that they can be met or exceeded.

I firmly believe the dive shop should learn from this experience and improve for the next time - they are not a bad shop but they could have done better.

I am giving a 3 star (average) review only because the shop was trying to meet the requests of the wedding party...but if that had not been the case the review would have been much lower, especially compared to other dive shops I have used in the past.

3  Thank illmattich
Lianet f, Propietario at Havana Dive, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

thanks for your recommendations will take very seriously the future for groups of divers. the same way i hope that the diving we did have pleased with. sorry for not being at the height you want, we will try to do better next time. Angel

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I really recommend dive with this outstanding team.
High knowledge, professionalism and passion in all team.

Lianet f, Proprietario at Havana Dive, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

thank you very much fabio .for your preference, I hope to see you soon again around here, it's a pleasure for me to have customers like you and your family

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I booked our dive with Havana Dive after reading reviews on Trip Advisor and I can say that it was even better than expected. Everyone was so friendly, they explained everything very clearly and with 2 novice teenagers doing the first dives it was plain to see that safety was their paramount importance. All the team, but especially Angel and Lily, made a day that will never be forgotten.

When planning your dive, look at the size of groups that some companies work with - one group arrived with about 40 divers!!!! With Havana Dive it was very small groups that respectfully dived along the reef - taking into account those little elements that make the difference.

Would I dive again in Cancun? Absolutely if it was with Angel and Lily

Lianet f, Direttore at Havana Dive, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Paul thank you very much for your comment. for us it was also a memorable experience. tell me if you already got the pictures? greetings to your family. we stay in communication through email. Angel

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I had never done a scuba dive before and was a little nervous! My teacher was Lilly and she made us all feel extreamly confident and answered any questions or concerns we had! Once we went diveing with angel and Lilly I had the best time with great sights both instructors made us feel more than welcome and went the extra yard all day long I would definatly recomend diveing in Mexico and would highly recomend useing Lilly and angel as they were such nice people aswell as highly experienced

Thanks again guys

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Lianet f, Direttore at Havana Dive, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

thank you very much for trusting us, we will put the experience profecional but believe me when I say that you put the passion that is needed and you did, remember that in cancun have two friends who will be happy to recivirte anytime for unforgettable adventures.