“Great Week at Crown Paradise”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cancun
Golden Shores Crown Paradise
Ranked #110 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed August 13, 2007

We stayed at CP July 27-Aug 3 through an RCI Timeshare exchange. We were confirmed for a 1-bedroom suite, but at check-in were informed that this was not available the first night and were given 2 hotel rooms instead. The hotel rooms were in poor condition - kitchenettes were very, very dated, extremely stong mold smell, dated bathrooms, mold on backside of bedspread; view was of abandoned, old hotel next door. The second day we received our correct room in the newer, timeshare building. View was great - overlooked pools and ocean; no smell, much more updated, very clean and comfortable. Marble tile bathrooms; huge shower in the second bedroom. Maid service was very good. This was our second stay in this building and it is substantially nicer than the hotel building.
We are 50 & 55 and took our 2 sons - 19 and 22. They had a great time; they really enjoyed the endless all-inclusive bars. We spent most of our days by the pools. By mid-week people started reserving the shaded chairs by the pool early in the morning, so we moved to the adult pool the last 2 days for the covered tents and a quieter atmosphere for a change. Both are good, just needed a break from the crowd and noise. The adult pool does not view the beach, but has a great view of the lagoon and is the only pool with a swim-up bar. Topless sunbathing was common in the adult pool area daily.
This was a great resort for our family in that we all found something to do. Our sons met other young adults their age group to socialize with and really had a good time; a lot of time at the bars.
There are a lot (emphasize a LOT) of children at the resort; definitely a family resort with pools and activities for all ages. The stage shows are a little amateur, but entertaining. Entertainment staff keeps the pool area active throughout the day until around 4pm. We found the pools to be enjoyable, although very crowded. And yes, we were aware of the human "waste" found in the pool as mentioned by another reviewer; I think my boys stayed out after that. I must comment that this was not the fault of the resort, but was the parents' fault; anytime you have small children such things are subject to happen.
Resort is maintained immaculately. Staff is constantly cleaning. We found all the staff to be friendly; had a couple maintenance needs which were taken care of immediately.
Food is good; we tried most of the reservation restaurants and dinner at the buffet one night. We did not always get our first choice on dinner schedule but worked around as needed. Saw no need to go out for any meals. Lunch is great-good choices of hamburgers or hot dogs, Japanese is our favorite and is great, and the buffet is really loaded. Breakfast buffet is fully loaded as well. I really do not see how they provide so much for the all-inclusive fee.
Our sons thought this was a great place and want to go back, so we expect to go again next year.
Just try to stay in the newer (timeshare) building! Also be aware if new to Cancun that it is always humid there and it feels warm in and out of the rooms regardless of AC, which we found to work fine.
We also noted that the airport has been extensively remodeled since our visit last year, with several chain theme restaurants and shopping to choose while waiting for your flight. Also the baggage men who used to grab your bags while exiting the airport at arrival were gone and there was only one transfer service to get to hotels (choice of your own taxi or shuttle van).

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank tha3806

Reviewed June 12, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a one week vacation - we stayed in a one bedroom suite booked through RCI. This was our 4th time staying at this resort, our 1st time with a one bedroom suite. We hadn't been there since the hurricane and I was a little surprised they didn't take the opportunity to update the rooms. Everything looked the same - old and dated. Overall we had a great vacation. Here are the details...
Room & Check-in:
We checked in on the Golden Shores side of the resort, so there were no issues with check-in. We did not approve of our first room - the walls were cracked and not completly painted, the floors were dirty and the view was obstructed by the buffet restaurant (we were on the second floor). With the bellboys help (David), we were able to switch to another room on the fourth floor (#2401 & 2402) that was much better - we still had the restaurant in our view, but we were higher up and the room didn't look unfinished. It was 2 rooms that adjoined, one side was like a standard room with a kingbed, tv, table with 2 chairs and a bathroom with a tub and shower, as well as a balcony. The other side had the parlor area with a tv and a couch that converted to a full size bed with a balcony; the kitchen area had a refridgerator, utensils, toaster, blender, microwave, 2 pan burner and a table with 4 chairs; the bathroom had a walk-in shower. The toilets had a foul smell after flushing and the water was grey in color - we actually bought air-freshener from Walmart. Other than that - no complaints on the room. When you book through RCI it is manditory that you pay for all-inclusive and maid service when you check-in - both well worth it. The all-inclusive charge was $48pp per day and the maid fee was $20 for the week. We also tipped the maid daily.
Food & Restaurants:
I was disappointed the Italian Restuarant was closed for renovations during our visit, but there are plenty of other choices. We ate dinner at Fisherman's and Wayne's Boots a couple of times each and were never disappointed. For lunch we ate at the poolside and Japanize - both were great. We ate at the buffet for breakfast, which was always good. We always tipped and the staff members appreciate it and remeber you. A couple of bucks go a long way.
Bars/Pools and Beach:
We were happy to see that a bar was added to the beach - but it only served beer and non-alcohal drinks for the kids, however they did have waiter service on the beach and by the main pool which was great. They do put the drinks in small plastic cups, so we brought larger mugs from home. We only went to the adult pool once and it was the same as before, not that roudy of a crowd there during our stay, so it was a little boring. The activity staff at the main pool were good - we didn't participate in everything, but many people did. We never had trouble getting towels or a chair anywhere or at any time of the day. We were very dissapointed in the beach when we first arrived. There were tons of shells and rocks when you went to go into the water. If you didn't have water shoes on you actually had to jump over were the waves were hitting our your feet would feel cut up. Once you got past that point, the bottom of the ocean was smooth. Then after two days, it cleared up and it was just as we remembered it, soft white sand and beautiful. I have never been to Cancun when it wasn't a red flag day, so it was rough surf, but still fun to play around in the waves. Our favorite bar was Trafagars - Miguel and Marium - are great. They always made you feel "welcomed".
In summary - we love Cancun and there are many of other hotels - we would recommend this resort for the price - but for a few dollars more you can probably stay at a more updated resort. We will probably shop around and try someplace new for future vactions.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pjhHarmony
Reviewed May 21, 2007

Gone down hill FAST.We had stayed here 2 years before and loved it. We had actually bought the time share. When my husband and I and 3 children came back this year it was terrible.

They charged 900.00 to my credit card by mistake, which I found a month later when I got my bill. The hotel has admitted it was an error on their part but they have yet to rectify it.

We were staying in the timeshare -the nicest building and rooms there. The damage from the hurricane is obvious. The rooms smell like mold and mildew, the vents are covered in it. There was no pictures or decorations on the walls. The wardrobe that you are suppose to use for clothing smelled so bad we couldn't even open it without gagging. The bedding and sheets all smelled and looked old and worn. The door knobs are falling off.

There is not enough staff to manage this place. Service is terrible because of this. You wait for tables, wait for food, wait for drinks, there is never any towels and they really don't care.

The only redeeming quality is the kids club. The staff is great there and they take good care of the children. If the resort , rooms and service were half as nice as the kids club we wouldn't complain.

We were suppose to stay for two weeks. We ended up going somewhere else and selling off our time share. We will never go back.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Schnekie
Reviewed May 11, 2007

I was able to exchange my timeshare for Golden Shores. My three guests and I stayed in a one bedroom unit. The rooms were very spacious. There was a nice view of the beautiful beach from our unit. Upon arrival the air conditioning unit in the livingroom was not working properly. Maintenance was called and the problem was resolved within a few hours. Also, the bellboy abandoned our luggage in the lobby. Despite these two glitches, we had a wonderful time. The majority of the staff were very friendly and attentive. The food was amazing. I was skepitcal about the quality of the food. However, I was very impressed with the quality, taste, and presentation of the food. The all inclusive price was very reasonable. The resort is a wonderful place to bring a family with children. There were many activities to keep everyone busy most of the day. I wish I could have stayed for another week. This was my first trip to Cancun. I am definitely planning on returning to Golden Shores next year.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank jetsetterSt.Louis
Reviewed January 5, 2007

My mom and I visited this awesome hotel/spa for a girls get-away. We were really impressed. We were welcomed promptly and had a little while to wait before our room was ready. We decided to check out the buffet and it was really pretty good. The view was gorgeous! We got to our room and it was immaculate! I walked barefoot on the tile floors and couldn't feel one grain of sand or dirt! How they do that in a beach resort is beyond me. Always hot water in the showers. The beds were a little hard, but hey, it's Mexico. My mom and I loved to eat at Pier 12 for lunch. We also loved the Old Barn. Best filet mignon I've ever had! The Shangri-La was also neat. It had a great atmosphere. Small portions I guess appeal to the fancy side, but you can order as much as you want with all-inclusive! My mom and I were a little hesitant to try al-inclusive beacuse we didn't know how good the food would be, but we were pleasantly surprised. I would definitly recommend this resort!

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled with friends
2  Thank reedsmomma
Reviewed September 23, 2006

My family and I just stayed at Crown Paradise sept 15-22 2006. we had a great time this was out third time there we do have a time share that we had bought and were able to get a 2 bedroom suite which is really three rooms. The pool staff keeps everything fun with activities. My kids are 16, 14, 11 and all were having fun between the slides and pool activities as did I. I played pool volleyball and beach volleyball and water basketball and water polo almost everyday. With the exception when there were people from the UK who thought the activities were for the championship and got a little out of control and were very aggressive even when my 11 year old was playing. The pool staff did calm things down and remind everyone that we were all there to have fun and relax. The main pool does need more exits at one end but no reason not to go there. The food was above average and there was plenty. The one big down fall we found was the restaraunts that were or should I say not open. On some nites there was only one restaurant open and if there were two it might have been the french restaraunt which does not allow children and you must wear slacks and dress shoes. I'm on vacation and wear slacks and dress shoes everyday... not on vacation in 95 degree weather... Our room was great we did have a little difficulty with one of the sliding doors. but we had 2 others that we used instead. The rooms and bathrooms were very clean. Overall we love it there and are planning our next trip there in June of 2007. Its not a 5 star luxery hotel but its better than average. I would say its more for familys not for singles though there were singles from the age of 20-50 there.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank mikenewyork
Reviewed July 23, 2006

We absolutely loved this place!!! We arrived around noon and check-in was not until 3pm. The minute we walked in, they led us to the reception/bar area and immediately gave us a (non-alcoholic) drink and invited us to use the pool and explore until 3pm (check-in). However, my girlfriend was really sick. I went to the front desk to see if we could get our room any earlier. About 10 minutes later, our room was ready! I was amazed at how friendly EVERYONE was!

Our room was also great. It was not extravagant, but very comfortable. We did not have an ocean view room, but the ones on the other side still have a beautiful view over the sound.

The staff were some of the nicest people I have ever met on vacation. They would do absolutely anything for you. They are always smiling and always have a minute to joke around with the customers. I LOVE the entertainment staff!!!! Each evening there was a different show put on by the staff. The first one we attended was the "Elvis" show and THIS IS NOT TO BE MISSED!!! Even though most of the resort quiets down after the shows, they take a bus to the clubs in the city for people who want to stay out later. However, most of us did enough partying during the day to where we needed to sleep after the show :)
From Tequilla vollyball to tequilla bingo, the staff knows how to make sure you are happy from 10am to whenever you find you way up to your room.

The crowd in January varied greatly in ages. This is an adults-only resort (and I will never do anything else again) so the ages ranged from 18 to 70's. People were not the super-rich and stuffy crowd at some of the other resorts, but it was also not the obnoxious high school/college crowd. We were all there to have a good time, but knew when to call it a day.

The food was the only "let down" even though it was still pretty good. There are 3 or 4 restaurants and I think that they were building another one when we were there. There was an indoor bar and an outdoor bar overlooking the ocean. The bartenders are more than willing to make your drinks as strong as you want and have no problem using top-shelf, all you have to do is ask.
PIECE OF ADVISE: bring your own hot/cold mug. You can fill it up with coffee in the am and with other beverages later in the morning.

I really cannot fully explain how wonderful this place is and how accomodating the staff was. It is an amazing resort with a laid-back atmosphere. Everyone is always smiling and go out of thier way to make sure thier guests are smiling as well. I HIGHLY reccomend this resort and willl return as soon as I can!!!

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank emmydot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Sunset Marina Resort & Yacht Club
#10 of 177 in Cancun
Paradisus Cancun
Paradisus Cancun
#24 of 177 in Cancun

Been to Golden Shores Crown Paradise? Share your experiences!