“Lovely but odd.”

GreenLeadersGold level
Cape May Beach
“Lovely but odd.”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I wanted to try a new hotel in the area. A local told me about this one. Easy to find on line and I figured it would be great considering the price at $130/night was almost twice what I paid in the other two hotels nearby. First odd thing. There is no open entrance. You either enter through the garage (if a friend takes you) and you have to pay to park to go that way and then struggle to find the door where someone might be available to take your luggage from you. The only other entrance and the main entrance (there is no actual entrance in the garage, it is service and luggage only, so you have to then go out and back into the mall) is right off the entrance to the mall on the east side of this huge mall. If you take a taxi, you then have to lug your luggage up a long way to and through the mall entrance to find the hotel entrance and then take an elevator to the 2nd floor for reception. Once inside the hotel is lovely with nice furnishings and very attentive and friendly staff. Breakfast is extra (or included at the higher room rate). It's a nice selection, although some of the hot foods were cold (all the days I was there) - apparently those burners didn't work well to keep things warm). The room is also quite lovely on first glance - Italian modern I would call it. However, as I unpacked I realized it was somewhat odd. There are no shelves or drawers, so you have to live out of your suitcase. There is a narrow closet to hang things. That is it. The lovely sink is in the bedroom. YOu can slide a mirror wall in front to sort of create a separate space. The sink is the bowl on counter type. Lovely, too. However, there is no stopper - just a big hole. So if you drop a ring it is gone. Also, you can therefore not wash out underwear, etc. in the sink. The water pressure is good there, but the spigot causes major splashing with in 2 feet of the sink, so nothing there stays dry unless the pressure is so low, it hardly reaches the edge of the bowl (so you cannot then get your hands under it). The bathroom is large and looks great. Slate. Nice large toilet and shower. The shower has no pressure. it is just above a trickle, so difficult to shower in all that space. I am not sure how comfortable it would be for two, since there is no place to put anything. It reminds me more of a business hotel, since it seems they expect you to stay only one night and not have luggage. It was filled with locals and even a soccer team. I saw no other gringos the whole time I was there. The WIF was a bit slower than nearby hotels. It was clean and the bed and pillows were very comfortable. I would consider it again next visit, but at twice the price for the same size room and no storage space, I would have to think carefully about that. I forgot to mention the noise. The halls have no carpeting and the doors are think so you can hear all conversations, running, luggage dragging, etc. day and night. I could hear people next to and above me, too. I can sleep through all that racket, but I know many of my friends cannot and would need ear plugs. That is the same in the other two hotels nearby however. It also has a workout room over looking the pool which is on the roof and overlooks the lagoon and tourist hotels in the hotel zone and even the ocean. That is very nice.

Room Tip: Try to get an east-facing room on an upper floor (nice view)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank DonCapeMayBeach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Queretaro City, Mexico
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

This is a hotel of the Fiesta Inn chain (business oriented) but completely innovative in the architecture and I think superlative in the service they provide.

By the second morning, waiters and hostesses knew who I was and took care of personal needs based on the first day experiences.

Nice ample lobby with all services integrated with a similar architecture inside the rooms.

Very commendable specially for those on business trips. Close to the three major private hospitals so it is also good if you are comming for medical treatment or doing business with these hospitals.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank juanmfraga
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2013

March 23, 2013 we stayed in Cancun for one night. Hard to find the entrance as it is located in a shopping complex, but we were delighted that it is a modern, slick, clean, staff friendly hotel that is not far from the airport. The restaurant is not wonderful, so we did not eat there.
Good value for the money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shariewilliams
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We go to Cancun every few weeks, I live in Tulum. This is a great hotel to stay in, if you plan a vacation and don't want an all-inclusive or are on somewhat of a budget. It is more of a business style hotel but has a nice pool area with a nice view. The staff is excellent and take care of all your needs. It is located at the Malecon in Plaza las Americas Mall, so don't expect a beachfront resort. That being said you could be at the beach in 10 minutes. If you are looking for a room at around $100 per night this is the best option, very clean and modern.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank WJR823
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have been staying at the Fiesta Inn with our 2 year old for 5 nights over Christmas 2012.

Like another reviewer already mentioned, beware the pomotions! We booked some kind of "business" rate that would include breakfast, "one drink per person" and free Wifi.

It turned out that Wifi is always free and the drink per person is not per day but per stay. But that was just the beginning of our troubles.

Our room was extremely noisy. We could hear the neighbor's razor, opening and closing of suitcases, every single word on their speakerphone and we could hear every time they used the bathroom. After three nights we got new neighbors, this time with kids... The hotel management tried to offer us a different room, but that had a view of a wall and no guarantee that it would be quieter.

During the first couple of days we asked how we could get our free drinks. Reluctantly we were offered to take them at the bar. We had other things to do so we said we would take them at another time. On the last day we finally wanted to get our drinks, only to hear that a hot chocolate my wife had for breakfast one day was counted as the "single free drink".

I have been to many hotels, from cheap motels to the Mandarin Oriental New York. Hotel staff everywhere has usually tried more or less to make things good. Not here. Instead of just offering us free drinks, maybe also to make up for the room noise, the manager started to argue.

The hotel staff was the same for the whole 6 days we stayed, which would usually be a good thing. Unfortunately here we had the strong feeling staff started to chatter about customers. If something happened on one side of the hotel, you knew staff on the other side knew it too. Maybe they are not used to having guests for more than 1 or 2 nights?

We have never felt so unwelcome in a hotel.

We paid $180 per night due to the high season. This is obviously an outrageous price, but even for $75 or less I would not really recommend this hotel.

I can only recommend the Fiesta Inn if you can't find any other cheap place for a single night and can live with a little noise in your room and never have to ask the staff for anything.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family