“Like an enormous beached cruise ship!”

Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
Ranked #17 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Melbourne
“Like an enormous beached cruise ship!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2010

I had some difficutly adjusting to this type of accommodation, with 6 different restaurants, 3 different pools etc etc. There were 'ins and outs' to learn... You need to book your dinner 2 days in advance and get turned away rudely if you are more than 15 minutes late for your reservation, they didn't do our laundry which meant we had to buy new clothes and wear unclean clothes on our 24 hour flight back to Australia. They were ok about a toddler staying there, all the restaurants had highchairs and were very friendly. One of the pools becomes a 'party' pool in the afternoons with loud music that can be heard around the resort, but our toddler seemed to enjoy it!! Some of the wait staff were very friendly, and the drinks and food were well done and generous. And if you are up early enough in the morning, when there is noone else around, and you go swimming in the warm Carribean sea at your doorstep or splash around in the pool - it really is amazing!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2010

Just returned from a weeks stay at the RIU Palace Las Americas. Arrived an hour late due to flight delay so we were already tired. We had booked an Ocean View Suite with King size bed and sofa sleeper. Not a Junior suite. Richardo, ( I'm bad with names,) said he was upgrading us to a Jacuzzi suite. I really wasn't too interested since I only booked one grade down from the Jacuzzi suite but took it anyway. Room 749. Filed in to the elavator and noticed the smell that people talk about. I had read the reviews about the smell and came prepared. Arriving on the 7th floor the smell was very strong, but I was not going to unpack, because I wasn't staying in that room for 7 days. When we got to the room it smelled really bad, like it had not been used in years. Found the bedroom, but no sleeper. Only a very small love seat. Balcony was small with jacuzzi on far left side. View was from what I could see an ok ocean view. Had to go down to the desk since I could not see how to call it because there was no instructions on the phone. Remember Ricardo keep telling me I booked a junior suite and he upgrade us. All I wanted was a place for my 6'2 14 year old son to sleep. I would take care of the room issue in the morning. They said they would send up a roll away. 1 hour later 11:00 by now still no bed. Tired and hungry looked at room service menu. What a joke. Ham and cheese sandwich on day old bread. Nacho chips with salsa for 2 chips. And a gross turkey sandwich. Since it was going to take 30 mintues went back downstairs to look for the roll away. Finally got it and the bad food and went to bed. Thursday morning went down to the desk and talked to a women whose name escapes me. She found our reservation Yes, we had booked a Ocean View Suite and oh by the way now the RIU was full. I asked to speak to the manager. A nice young man by the name of Javier came out. I had not been to pleasant with these people and I vented on him. He said give him till 2:00 and he would put us in the right room. Ok no problem. 6 more hours would not hurt anyone. At 2:00 the phone rang and it was Javier. Could I give him another hour the room was still not ready. Ok. At 3:15 I was still waiting for the bell boy to come move our things. So I went back down stairs found out the room got the keys and moved myself. Room 225. Second floor did not smell as bad but there was that musty smell. The room was very nice. No complaints except you could not put anything in the drawers because the wood smelled so strong of must. But this room had a hugh walk in closet. Javier sent up a bottle of Scotch for my husband and a bottle of Kahlua for me. Then came a fruit plate and a bottle of Champange. He really tried to make things right. The reason for so much info is for everyone who reads this is to really see the place as it really is. Dinner that night was at Krystal. No big deal. Food ok. I had Sea bass and it was cold, Husband and son both had the beef and they liked it. Ended up going to the buffet. I am not a buffet person, but the food wasn't bad, and they kept the champagne coming. Friday, quick breakfast and off to Chichen itza. If you book a tour don't pay more than $40. all inclucive. With a swiming trip to a Cenote, buffet lunch, bus tour of Valladolid and then Chichen Itza. The day we went we got to Chichen Itza later in the day, not hot and very few people around. Be prepared for the kids of the peddlers. Did get some really great things from the peddlers. Back to the hotel arriving at 8:30. Now Before we left in the morning and were outside waiting for the bus I was looking for my new Olympus Water camera. Left it in the room sitting on top of our jackets. No big deal. I had the Kodak with us. Just no under water pictures at the Cenote. Now back to 8:30 getting to the room, I went to take care of the camera and it was gone. Searched for 30 mintues, in the suitcase, under the bed, in the couch everywhere. No camera. Went down to the desk to talk to the manager. No he's gone for the day, so I said well I want to call the police. No you must first fill out their form and let their security deal with it. So I filled out the report, and two men showed up. I asked the girl before they even came if they spoke english. Yes no problem. Except they did not speak english, so these two guy's and I went back up stairs, they searched everywhere that I had. I tried to tell them the best that I could where it had been. They brought a lock reader to read the key strokes on the door.( We had to have our cards redone every day). Oh and by the way. When we first checked in we had to ask for a lock and key for the safe. Don't forget. After they were done,I went back to the desk where I was told to come back first thing in the morning and talk to the manager. 8:30am I'm back at the desk, but the manager would not be intill 11:30. Why tell me one thing and then change it. SO I did come back at 11:30 talked to Javier. He said he would look at the report and we would talk later. Ok. Were on vacation and want to go see things. Came back at 6:00. Javier got me so upset that I could not even speak to him anymore. It was as if they did not believe me. His maid had been there for 6 years and was the best, etc, etc. I had been dealing with this by myself so that my husband could be with our son and keep him occupied. Crying, I walked away and went and got my husband. Now to make this long story shorter. In the end Javier got transfered to Spain, the General manager stepped in. His name is Victor. He did nothing. I had to ask for a copy of my report and the lock report. No insurance info and nothing else. Have a good trip home. So I have sent off an email asking for the info, We'll see.The people who worked in the restaurant's and bars were great. They tried to get you what ever you wanted. The Steak house Ribeyes were very good. The Mexican restaurant one was alright, no big deal. The brazlian was good.
Would I stay there again? I would if things were different. frebrez and candles do work. But with the thieft and problem with the room grade I have to say no.

2 Thank wiggiewoo
Hilliard, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2010

After reading reviews I decided to try this hotel. Unfortunately some of the reviews were right and I wish I would have given them more credence. The beds were very hard and when I asked for a foam topper, they siad it was already on the bed. My sheets were damp every day and all of my clothes were damp. I had to wash things I didn't wear when I got home as everything was wet and musty smelling. The hotel was beautiful, great pools and good service by the pool. The food reminded me of cruise ship food. The specialty restaraunts were just okay. Evetyhing looked good but just didn't taste as good at it looked. There was always plenty of food and again the service was good. I guess if you drink a lot you might get your money's worth. I would not stay there again. I think a comfortable bed and proper air conditioning is important.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank lcollins18
Billings, Montana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2010

Our arrival was on Tuesday evening. The check in process was easy and the gal at the desk (Angela) was lovely. She said, call me anytime, i will be here, but then i never saw her again. That evening we ate in the Brazilian Steak house. The selections were less than expected, and the food was just ok.
On Tuesday, we went down to the beach. The beach is very small considering the size of the resort. I had forgotten my towel card so went back up to the room and got the card out of by boyfriends wallet, placed the wallet back into the pocket of his shorts and into the cubby hole under the bench out of sight. When we returned to the room at 3 p.m., the wallet was no where to be found. It had been taken from his pocket out of our room. We filed a report with security and they came and went through our entire room speaking Spanish the entire time. (We dont speak the language, so it was really frustrating) The long and short of it is that the wallet was taken from the room, housekeeping was the only one who had accessed the room, and they supposedly interigated her and she claimed to have not seen a wallet. So, we were out $350 cash and had to try to cancel credit cards from out of the country. All around hassle.!!!! Not only that, but they accused us of missing a meeting with the manager (Which we were not even aware of) . We requested a copy of the report and it took them 2 days to produce it.

The hallways stink of mildue and general wetness (As other reviews had said).

There were many selections on the buffet, but most were flavorless and just average.

Tio Pepe's was a decent place to eat.

There was a live bat in the hallway and a bat flying around the Art Deco Bar

The Art Deco Bar was a nice place for a drink and conversation

the general politeness and apperance of the staff was quite nice. They were efficient and attentive

room service 24/7 was a nice feature, but you were limited to only about 9 items to select from and they were all disgusting except the chocolate cake

All in all, it was a nice resort, but will never stay there again because of the lack of cooperation dealing with the staff and our situation with the missing wallet.

If it were not for the theft, i would recommend this resort to my friends, but because it this, i put NO to the question on the review.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shawnee59102
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2010

this was my first time in mexico and absolutly had a ball. i travelled with my mum and my best friend. we were both 18 at the time. the hotel is in a great situation and it literally a 5 min walk from all the main nightlife hotspots. during the day you would'nt even need to leave the hotel as it has everything you need. you can also visit its sistering hotel and have a meal if you go all inclusive. the pools are always immaculate and have ample sunloungers. thers different pools depending on what type of area you want to be in. ther is one poo that is very relaxed with very liitle noise and then ther is a very large pool that has some pool games and music with a bar. there is also a spa which is definatly 10/10 the treatments don't come cheap but are definatly worth the money. the hotel has its own private beach which has waiter service the whole day that will bring you drinks. the beach is one of the nicest beaches i have seen ever. the hotels room service is very fast and its always service with a smile. there is towels delivered to the rooms everyday and if you need more its never a problem. cancun itself is a beautiful place and the nightlife is 10/10. there is also in the hotel different resturants you can go to but honestly the continental buffet is just as good. one of the best holidays ive been and the hotel definatley made the experience what it was.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
york,sc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

This was our first time traveling to this resort, and first impression was great. The palace is beautiful hands down, food is amazing entertainment is good. The beaches are great and pools(in door pools close at 8pm which was kinda a bummer), staff is very friendly room service is great. If there is one thing I would say it is that we stayed on the first floor, and the hall smelled like mildew, I am not sure if it was just our floor or if it was all, but the smell was aggravating. Also our bed linen also smelled like mildew. The room look great but the smell of the linen and the hall was a turnoff. I would suggest staying at this resort,, but bring some lysol and and extra blanket and sheet to sleep on. Other than that everything else was superb. Also make sure you make reservation when you check in for restaraunts you are interested in, because they want allow you to eat there without reservations, and reversation can't be made same day it has to be for next day.. So we were stuck eating at the buffet for two days because we thought that we could reserve on the same day.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Northeast PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

We loved our stay so much returned a few months later. The grounds are perfectly manicured, staff is very pleasant and attentive. Food is excellent with a wide variety (for my fussy eaters in my family). They offer 24 hour room service, stocked fridge and wet bar in the room! The Japanese restaurant is our favorite! We plan to return again and again! Internet is only offered in the lobby which is a plus for me! It's close to all the malls of Cancun and within walking distance of clubs and markets. Bus ride is only $1 to downtown or other end of the hotel zone.