$377
$298
$229
HotelsClick
  • Pool
Hard Rock Hotel Cancun(Cancun)
$640
$367
Cancelon
7,285 results
All reviewsmusty smellel romerojapanese restaurantspecialty restaurantsocean viewswim up barcoco bongomattress padsteakmake reservationsquiet poolwrap around balconyactivity poolbottled waterhotel is beautifulliquor dispenserdinner reservations
Reviewed April 25, 2009

First the good. Basically, the outside of the hotel is spectacular, the lobby is all marble and kept very clean. The food overall is good; although the specialty restaurants are hard to book. We especially liked the Japanese restaurant. The buffet is good as well. The service is very good. Pool and beach are nice.

Now off to the bad.
The smell is horrible, I don't know why they haven't done anything about it yet, since so many people complain. I now have to wash ALL my clothes, everything stinks.
I saw a roach in the bathroom, NOT GOOD.
The TV in our room was small and reception very very poor, all black and white and grainy.
Instead of having one large bed, they just stick two small ones together - I was not impressed, as no one wants to sleep on the crease of two beds, so if you are a couple, you will basically end up sleeping on a small bed together, not very relaxing.
Everything is damp, the sheets specifically.
The noise insulation does not work or does not exist, we could hear EVERYTHING from other rooms, including people walking in heels, having sex loudly, could hear people in the hallways, so again - NOT RELAXING.
The night entertainment is non existent, aside from Pinata and cheesy shows.

Overall, our vacation was OK, I enjoyed the sun, drinks and food, but i wouldn't come to Riu again. Mold and roaches are non-acceptable.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Gnomixa
Reviewed April 25, 2009

The Las Americas was a beautiful place. The clerk said our room would be ready by 3, but it wasn't available until 530. The staff was friendly until it came time to check out, then it was get us out the door as quickly as possible. The specialty dining was ok. My group ate at all but the Japanese Steakhouse, which I wanted to try but didn't have time. The others weren't anything special, but the Brazilian was the best by far. The buffet was good, but the service there is mediocre. My room had bed bugs, so if you stay in room 342, request a new room! I had to do all my laundry at 2 am to make sure I wouldn't infect my house as well as take my suitcase to get it professionally cleaned. I would recommend Las Americas, but I would make sure whoever I was telling it about was aware of everything.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank BigWhiteRob
Reviewed April 25, 2009

My husband and I just returned from the Palace last night. The entire time we were there, we just couldn't understand why anyone would have anything negative to say!! The hotel and grounds are beautiful, the service is out of this world; LOTS of people constantly trying to make sure you have a wonderful vacation, the food was spectacular (to us...I mean, no, it wasn't filet mignon, but there were plenty of choices and 24 hour guacamoli!!)

We found a couple of little annoyances, but honestly, so easy to forget with all the positives.

Tips:

When you arrive in the airport, several people will approach you. We thought they were Apple Vacation people that were going to help us with transportation to the hotel; not so. They were trying to sell us stuff. Continue past them outside and find your travel agency representative; they all hold signs.

Be careful of the rocks in front of the hotel... they are sharp! My husband and I both came home with cuts on our feet and me, being a bit overzealous with the liquid courage; I received cuts on my legs from going over the edge of the rocks to snorkel. (my fault) Beach shoes would have been nice just for that purpose (exploring the rocks).

I found it annoying to have my R.I.U. bracelet on my dominant hand. Next time I'll wear it on my left wrist so I don't notice it as much.

There is NO dress code for women at any of the restaurants. Men must wear long pants (jeans are fine) and a shirt with sleeves at a few of the restaurants.

If you like to build sand sculptures: the guy at the towel hut has tools.

I was amazed with how trusting the beach vendors are. On two occasions, we wanted something but didn't have the money with us. They told us to keep it and pay later. But, beware: we forgot what one guy looked like and almost paid the wrong guy. They won't say..."No, you don't owe me money."

Take Sunscreen of all SPF's from home. We took 30 and 15, but ended up buying spf 8 at drugstore across the street for $20! Also, lip sunscreen...my lips got burnt.

We found it helpful to run the AC during the day while we were out; eliminated moisture on floor. We left the door open at night. (AC automatically turns off when door is open)

Since we were eating and drinking so much, we decided to always take the stairs so we didn't notice the smell in the elevators! (we were on the third floor) I thought it was funny that someone who stayed on the second floor complained about the elevators!!

It was an amazing vacation for us!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jonandtami
Reviewed April 24, 2009

I read quite a few reviews before booking this hotel and I find myself wavering on my opinion now that I have returned. We stayed Apr 19-23 and the weather was perfect, thank goodness. This was my first trip to Cancun and I was amazed at the disaster at the airport, Immigration and Customs are a joke for those of you who have not been, just a friendly heads up.

When you drive by all the other hotels on the strip, you have to wonder if the RIU stacks up, it does, easily. When you pull up the hotel is nice, but when you go through the front door, wow , quite a sight. The lobby is very open, you can see the pool and the ocean. Check-in I must say was first class. We were taken to the bar and were brought drinks. I never went to the desk, all the arrangements were handled right there while having our welcome cocktails, very impressive. It kind of went a little downhill from there. The elevators do stink as well as the rooms. I took a can of air freshener and that helped a lot. The rooms are very nice, but the air conditioner shuts off if you open the balcony door and the room has a hard time recovering. The air just does not work that well. There is a sticker on the bathroom mirror that tells you the the water is not potable. There is no way this hotel should be able to display that 4-Diamond plaque in the lobby with their water being undrinkable, not even to brush your teeth. My next beef is with the bed situation, my dog sleeps on a better mattress. It is not a true king bed, just 2 full size bed push together, not exactly romantic.
On to the food, buffet not to my liking. Had to eat the dinner buffet the first night, not a chance of getting a reservation. We ate outside at El Romero the second night, steak was very good. The third night was at Tappas, go somewhere else. Our last night was at Krystal, first class from the time you walk through the doors. I am amazed at how small these restaurants are. The hotel was not even close to being full during our stay and I can only imagine how hard getting a reservation would be during a peak period.
The good, location, pools and wait staff. The RPLA is in a great location. The pools are beautiful. The main pool is shaded most of the time, but the other pool is open to the sun most all day. Personally I thought the wait staff was very good.
Almost forgot, if you want to get drunk, drink up, it will take a while. The bottles in your room are watered down and the drinks served are just weak.
I did have a good time, but I am not sure I would even go back to Cancun.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank mbeauch1963
Reviewed April 24, 2009

Wec checked into the RIU Palace in Cancun on April 13, 2009 and after arriving in our room, #601, we immeidately noticed a very strong mildew odor. After a few days our daughter began having breathing issues so we decided to leave early. The morning we were to leave I noticed black mold spores all over the couch in the room. The very same couch she would sit on and watch TV at night. Once we arrived home in the states we took her to the pediatrician and showed him the photos of the mold. Needless to say he was shocked. After some chest x-rays, our two year old daughter was diagnosed with pneumonia. Not a good experience at all. The food was nothing spectacular or anything that I couldn't have had a local restaurant in my own neighborhood. We did experience issues with the phone in the room not working and the toilet would not flush properly. We addressed both of these issues with the front desk and three days later when we left, they still had not been corrected. I cannot in any manner recommend that anyone stay at this place. Spend your money somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family