“Grand at First sight”

Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
Ranked #16 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Impressive lobby reminiscent of an Italian palace. Restaurant wait service is friendly and quick. Food is abundant and a myriad of cuisines from American to Mexican to Italian. Made to order grilled food too, and lots of tropical fruits! Housekeeping service is efficient. Rooms are always clean, comfortable and spacious. There is a hotel construction going on next property over, but if you are out most of the day exploring, this should not be a problem. This hotel is about an hour away from Mexico's featured attractions, and traffic is horrendous, (took us 2 hours to get back from the amusement park!) from 6PM up on the boulevard along the hotel zone, specially weekends. The hotel vicinity is popular with the young crowd specially during the weekends, so if you prefer peace and quiet, this entire area may not be for you, but if clubbing is your thing, then this hits the spot. Our hotel itself was quiet, spotless, restful, and food is always available. The property has a small beach area, and I suspect has strong currents as it is facing the Caribbean Sea. Would I come back? Absolutely!!!!

Room Tip: Take to the pools early-it gets crowded specially at the swim up bar. If you are into photography, w...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank aquabb56
Write a ReviewReviews (6,833)

Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was our 9th trip in a row at the RPLA. It was teriffic as usual. The staff there welcome you home when you arrive each time. Especially Tomas in the Kristal. Each night our table was decorated with hearts. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary, and each night he made it special. Jair in the buffet restaurant was also teriffic. They all remember you from year to year.
Our special friend Abundio at the lobby bar was magnificent as usual. Fidi at the lobby bar is also great.
We still use our towel routine to get a good chair each morning. When you turn in your towel get a new one then go down about 7am and get your chair then you can go back to sleep for a bit. Most people who have been there more than once do this.
I heard that they are going to be starting renovation in January and end in March. So keep this in mind. They were renovation the Riu Cancun next door when we were there in May but
it didn't really bother us.
I know people complain about the reservation system for the speciality restaurants but I've found that if you wait till about 10 minutes past the dinner times and go to the restaurant you want they usually have some empty tables and you can get in.
Again...another wonderful relaxing trip

Room Tip: Try to get 3rd floor ocean view or higher.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank read190
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I stayed here for three nights for my buddy's bachelor party. Needless to say, it was an awesome time. The food was good, not great, but the variety was what made it awesome. The buffet dinners were better than the "specialty restaurants" so don't waste your time with those. The drinks were strong, the crowd was great, the staff was extremely helpful and the hotel was spotless.

The location was perfect. You're walking distance to the major clubs / bars in the area or you can use one of the providers in the lobby to set you up with an open bar package. Either way, you can't go wrong.

The rooms were good, but we barely spent anytime in the room so who cares? We only used them to pass out. The beach was clean with no peddlers (unlike other destinations I've been to).

The check-in process was smooth and efficient. We used Melissa at TripGuy Travel (melissa@tripguy.com) and it made everything much easier for us. She also hooked us up with cheap transportation from/to the airport so we didn't have to worry about that.

All in all, great trip!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
13  Thank avstheman
Reviewed August 4, 2014

This is a fab hotel when we stayed for 2 weeks from 13 July 2014.

Whilst its not planned for refurbishment like all the other Riu hotels in Cancun, the Riu Palace is top notch in fittings and standards. The service was outstanding. Our Junior Suite was really spacious - the bathroom had 'his and her' sinks and the bed must have been queen size.

The food in the buffet restaurants was so good - although sometimes just warm - that we hardly dined in the speciality restaurants.

The staff are amazing - really friendly and helpful and the entertainment team work hard all day. The evening entertainment is typical night time entertainment with shows, etc.

The hotel is well located near to lively nightlife and shops. La Isla shopping centre is worth a trip and you can also dine there at the marina.

The Riu Cancun next door is currently being refurbished but didn't affect our enjoyment. We stayed there in 2010 and it looks fab when it's complete.

We also walked along the beach to the Riu Caribe [which is nice] and the Riu Peninsula [which is fantastic] as you can use the Riu hotels' facilities and have breakfast / lunch.

We love Cancun and the Riu hotels and will definitely return. Hopefully, sooner rather than later !

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are junior suites which are very spacious. We were on the 8th floor and the b...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kanicoll
Reviewed August 3, 2014

all positive, restaurants excellent, service excellence, room was great app art from the balcony door not fully functional. all the staff are very friendly. location is great, right near the centre of the main strip

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank paulmarlandude
Reviewed July 31, 2014

This was my second trip to Cancun with my last trip in 1994. This resort was beautiful! Very clean and pretty. I highly recommend an all-inclusive resort. We had no worries about our meal or drinks and never had to worry while sitting by the pool because someone always came by to offer us a drink. We ate at the Steak House one night which was good but is outdoors and right next to "party" pool and Riu Cancun (construction) so it was rather noisy! The buffet was excellent and offered a wide variety of choices for the pickiest eaters. I cannot say enough about the staff who work so hard and were always available to meet any of our needs. We always saw people cleaning as well.

My only two negative comments would be a slightly hard mattress but I've slept on worse. The lobby has a musty smell that you adjust to but I've heard others say that's common in Cancun.

We booked a tour through Lomas Travel for the Jungle Maya adventure. We took our 12 year old daughter and had a great time snorkeling, swimming in cenotes, rappelling and zip-lining. It was booked with alltournativetours.com which did a great job!

Overall, the best part was sitting in the infinity pool overlooking the ocean with no worries whatsoever. Probably my all-time favorite vacation!

Room Tip: We stayed on 5th floor center. We had a nice lagoon view and overlooked pool and ocean with a balcon...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Dawgfan67
Reviewed July 31, 2014

This is my 4th time to the Cancun area. On this trip I visited 2 hotels Hard Rock and Riu Americanas in Cancun, so this trip has allowed me to compare two hotels against each other.

Airport Arrival
We arrived at Cancun airport which has been upgraded significantly since I last visited 10 years ago. If you want airport transportation from the airport to your hotel you can just google for it and you can save a significant amount of money. As you walk to the taxi area ignore the other guys saying that you are not allowed to take outside taxies. Our ride for 6 people was $75. It took about an hour which was highway driving.

Arrival Hotel
The hotel arrive wasn't a pleasant experience. They seemed to be understaffed to be able to move lots of people. When we went to the front desk there were plenty of staff looking at terminals, 2 or 3 looking at the same one, but they didn't even look at the people in the line. I hope that they were training these staff because they certainly need it. After checking in there was no bell boy so we had to carry the luggage up ourselves. One of our party upon leaving waited for 1/2 an hour for a bellboy eventually have to carry their luggage out themselves, not a good way to treat newlyweds (not us our friends).

The Riu Hotel must be at least 50 years old, it is very opulent and is kept in a beautiful state. The staff are constantly wiping the floors in the main lobby because of people walking wet in the foyer. The staff are constantly cleaning and you cannot fault them at that.

The rooms are technically nice but they have some difficulties. Our room came with 2 double beds pushed against each other. One of the beds was nice but the other was lumpy and slanted. The bathroom was one room and the bathroom door opened up against the toilet which is unnecessary considering the size of the bathroom. The shower/bath combo was a dark box with the bath tub very narrow. With my size 9 foot it was uncomfortable to turn around without being wobbly. It was also one of those shower/baths that have a drop when you step out. I would be worry if you are heavy or aged getting in and out of the shower.

The killer for me was the wall safe, it was very small and required that you carry a key. I'm sorry but this in not the 1950's anymore. If you lose the key you would be required to pay 650 pesos to replace the key. The safe was so small you could not fit an iPad in it. If you are like me and bring tablets, cameras and a computer, you would worry that your stuff is exposed because you could not put all of that in the wall safe. How convenient that the hotel is not responsible for stolen items. But having to carry the key around my neck like a 10 year old going to school was a royal pain in the neck (haha).

The room had only 2 plug outlets. One in the bathroom, which is not a great place for electronic devices last time I checked and one near the bedside tables. This severely limits your recharging abilities. So if you have a large family with lots of electronics you'll most likely be fighting for the sole plug in the living area, but that brings up another point. Riu only allows 3 people per room. A great revenue generator I'd say.

My rooms view was awesome, I could spend the rest of my life on the balcony just looking over the ocean. I was located on the 7th floor of the building room 730.

Although they keep the hotel in good shape the elevators are really getting on and should be totally refurbished.

The food was what really saved this hotel, it is nothing short of amazing. The buffet actually is what is amazing. We tried 3 of the specialty restaurants to food in each was presented great but in my opinion wasn't all that great. But saying that there were people in our party that raved about the same restaurants. All I can say is the staff in the buffet busted their butts. Even though it was air conditioned they were sweating.

WIFI must have worked through out the hotel because people were constantly attached to their electronic devices. I found that WIFI didn't work all that well on the balcony of the room, no biggie. It worked well enough to make skype calls.

The beach has lovely white sand but I would not recommend it for children, as soon as you go into the water it has shells which makes it painful to get in the water. The water has two steep drop offs as well. This is definitely not good for small children. After about 8 feet into the water it was up to my chest. I recommend walking along the beach to a different hotel where the water is very shallow. If you like swimming the swimming area is good. Not that good for snorkeling, although there are fish out by the white floats.

They have 2 pools which are like baths. The water was not salty and did not have a heavy chlorine presence so women that are prone to yeast infections may want to avoid the pools, especially near the end of the day. There are a few umbrellas for shade but not a lot. The only saving grace is that the hotel casts shadows across the main pool as the day wains.

We visited the Riu Peninsula hotel a 5 minute bus ride (local bus as the hotel does not have shuttles), it is a new hotel. The buffet restaurant had a great view and it was very new. The beach is definitely great for children as it was shallow and not rocky. The pools had a lot more shade coverage and umbrellas. I would definitely recommend people investigating the Riu Peninsula.

Ratings out of 5
* Beach For Swimmers 5
* Beach for Children 0
* Beach for Snorkling 2
* Food 5
* Room 2 (that safe killed the rating)
* Hotel Atmosphere 4
* Lobby/Front Desk Service 2
* Food service 5

The GOOD
Buffet staff was friendly and efficient.
Buffet is amazing
Good WIFI.
No one tried to sell me a timeshare.

The BAD.
The wall safe.
Foyer staff not great.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family