“Return visit”

Ranked #17 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Doncaster, England
“Return visit”
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 2 years ago & to be honest, nothing has changed. The staff are still as attentive & diligent, the rooms are still well appointed and the hotel is good for an older clientele.
I guess it's ready to be updated but I hope it isn't turned into a carbon copy of every other Riu. It has a certain charm with the wood features and stained glass ceiling in the lobby & I'd hate to think it'll be another white paint & chrome affair!
The addition of free wi-fi all over the property is a bonus now, but I hope they can improve the quality of the TV reception (I know it's not why we go on holiday) and digital safes rather than key operated would be better.
The food was ok, lots of variety to suit all tastes, although we didn't use the a la carte restaurants this time. They were never full when we walked past which surprised me a bit.
They seem to have recovered some of the shoreline, too. The stretch of beach directly behind the hotel and as you walk around to the Riu Cancun beach are both bigger than I remember from 2 years ago and there are a number of jetties into the sea at both Riu properties.
The renovation work at the Riu Cancun can be a bit noisy when you are at the Pool Bar but can't be heard from the beach or the Family Pool areas.
All in all we had another great holiday in Cancun & will continue to look for Riu hotels wherever we decide to go.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank tony_mee648

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,214)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
newcastle
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Just got back yesterday from what on the most part was a good holiday. The first week was brilliant and the weather was great. Couldn't fault the hotel or it's staff. We were slightly worried about construction noises from riu cancun and although the work did go on for longer into the night than we were told, we had no problem with it.
However out holiday was slightly spoiled by the stomach bug that we both caught 4 days before the end of our hol. Which we still have now. We only realised coming home that we weren't the only ones. It was a disappointing end to our hol and that of many other guests. Maybe the hotel should look into this as this shouldnt happen in a hotel of this price range and ranking.

• Stayed June 2014
8 Thank lynn c
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We have just got home to London. My husband and I came here in February 2011 and was so happy with everyone and everything we thought we'd bring the family. So my 2 sons and their partners and almost 2 year old granddaughter decided to come this time. We were on a 10 night holiday which we were worried about at first because of the reviews on the building noise but thankfully it didn't interfere with us at all. It was nice to see Abo still in the main bar as he has a great personality unlike the reception staff who do understand you but grin instead and are quite rude. Everyone else are lovely. It was about the forth day in when 5 of us came down with a sickness and diarrhoea bug which knocked us out badly in fact my husband and son are still very ill and couldn't go to work today! The whole resort stunk of rotten eggs which made me feel it was the sewage system, in fact nearly everyone that stayed the same time as us were ill!! I love cancun and really love the hotel but don't think I'd go back to the same Hotel again. Something went very wrong somewhere and a long awaited expensive holiday has been ruined

Room Tip: Room 127 smells constantly of sewage!, disgusting!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Kryponut
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We just got back two days ago and absolutely loved our stay at the Riu Palace Las Americas. The resort was clean, the staff friendly and helpful, the entertainment crew were amazing and even finicky eaters can find something they love. Yes, there is construction going on at the Riu next door, but it didn't ruin our trip - once the swim-up bar started the music, the construction noise was mostly blocked. There are little pieces of styrofoam in the pool, but again - there's construction going on next door - what are you going to do. Btw, we asked about the completion date and were told - end of August, but I think much longer from the looks of everything. There are plans for upgrades to be made to the Las Americas for next year - May 2015 I think, so something to keep in mind. Lastly, don't worry about the weather!!! There was an 80% chance of rain predicted for the week we were there - everyday 80%!!! - but our week was perfect!!! We'd like to send shout-outs to the Philly crew - Denise, Todd, Rosa, Carmelo & Sherry, Jessica and Jonathan from Ohio, Sherry and Frank from Virgina, Don & Susan from Missouri, London Lee - you guys are the best!!! Luv Jersey John and Brigitte

Room Tip: Email the resort a week ahead with any requests. We asked for a room away from construction on an u...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Brigitte P
Scotland
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I am writing this review a year late, we stayed in May 2013.

I could not fault the hotel at all. The food was amazing, the drinks were amazing, the room was amazing, the staff amazing!

We lived 2 weeks in luxury - waited on hand and foot and ate some amazing food at the restaurants and the buffet was good too.

Would definitely recommend and return. I am shocked at some of the negative reviews that I read, some people must be mad not to love this place!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank margaret1988
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed June 15, 2014

First of all I have to say the staff are great. The hotel is clean and well maintained. The majority of the guests stare and are rude. Me and my partner have had bad stomachs for half the holiday and I know it's not us as the Thomson rep had said others have complained of upset stomachs. I'm on my last day now and can't wait to get home to England. I won't be coming here again. Oh yes just thought I'd mention,soon as you venture out from the hotel you will be having drugs pushed on you..not nice. Sorry to be blunt and honest but people need to know before they spend there hard earned money!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Chris R
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is gorgeous; marble and elaborate high ceilings, dark woods, very clean and regal. That beautiful marble is also very slippery so be aware of that. We came here early June 2014 and really only a couple "cons" out of a list of "pros."

Cons:
-The second pool is a joke. In terms of relaxing at the beach, forget it. It is non stop trance music with ann annoying d.j who never shuts up. It is the bar pool, so I get it, but you can hear the bass and beats all the way down at the beach.

-there is loud construction going on in the hotel next door. We got very lucky and our room faced away from it (room 718) and we also had a gorgeous view of the main pool and beach.

-the concierge there was useless when we asked him about some things we were looking for in town and also about helping us place a local call. Most concierge go out of their way to help you, not this one.

-they all think Americans are rich: every little thing was over priced and expensive!! $18 for SPF and over $169 for massage, for example. $15 for taxi that takes you only a few blocks.

Pros:

- the buffet was varied, delicious and fresh. We loved the food and ate non stop
-the gym was very handy and clean and was attached to the amazing smelling spa. I hear the massages were great there, too.
-I loved the grounds. Although it is more of a grand hotel than a resort, read: not that sprawling, it is so beautifully maintained that you re ally never need to leave.
-the different restaurants within the place are great. With one exception, I dislike the Japanese restaurant. The fancy one, called Krystal, was superb.

A note on the waiters-they make the trip! They are so joyful and fun and work so hard to please you, it is amazing. They were wonderful and all of them spoke English very well.

This is a great choice for an all inclusive. We got our deal, on travelocity, for around $1350 ea for 6 days and nights (incl. air from lax) I would def return.

Make sure and check the weather before you go bc we had rain for first couple of days and it improved over the next few days. It never got sunny, per say, but it was always very warm, humid and still "tan able" days.

I really loved our trip!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple