“Already loving it” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Chesterfield, Missouri
“Already loving it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

I'm here for 5 days and it's my second day and I'm already in love with this place. The food is excellent, service superb and on top of that atmosphere is exhilarating. Super friendly staff and top-notch cleanliness. I would definitely recommend this place to everyone.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RaviDawar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,121)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New Rochelle, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

Our family stayed at the Riu Palace Las Americas for 6 days. We have two kids aged 13 and 15. First of all we pulled up to the hotel the exterior was very contemporary. The decor inside the hotel was very mature and stuffy, it seemed too sophisticated for kids. The front desk staff was kind but didn't really go out of their way. We were given instructions on how to log on to the hotel's wifi but it was very complicated and several times during the week we had to reconnect in order to use it. We were very disappointed with the room that we got, it overlooked the parking lot and the laundry facility. In addition, our shower was also broken and we were told that if we wanted it fixed we needed to stay in our room to let the maintenance man in to fix it. This is not where or how we wanted to be spending our time. A few days later they did change our room to an oceanview. In that room the air conditioning didn't work very well but we decided to let it go. The rooms were always very clean.

As far as food is concerned there was always plenty. The restaurants on premise required a reservation (and pants for the men) which you could only make 2 days in advance. They booked very quickly so you needed to be on the reservation line by 8am. Too much work for vacation time. If you didn't get one you ended up at the buffet every night. I am gluten and meat free. Although the normal buffet had several options they did not offer too many gluten free options such as breads. Most of the staff didn't understand gluten free. I find coming from New York it is hard to impress my family when it comes to food. The food here was always fresh, they did have variety and it was plentiful.

The pool, grounds, hotel and lobby was always clean. There never a shortage of hands for keeping the hotel clean. The wait staff was very adequate and we never had to wait to be seated or served. They were also friendly and helpful.

I was disappointed because there was no actual kids club as advertised on the website. in addition, the water sports they offer is actually at the hotel next door with no direct access to that hotel unless walking outside the front of the hotel and walking on main street or climbing over rocks on the ocean side to get to the other hotel. This meant the kids couldnt do these activities alone, they needed an adult to go w them to the hotel next door. When you did get there quite often the equipment was taken by other guests and we had to wait until someone returned equipment in order to use it. They obviously didn't have enough equipment to accommodate two hotels. I was very disappointed with this.

The hotel was very crowded and the pool deck was always wall to wall chairs. There were too many people for the deck space. Not pleasant. The drinks poolside were weak but they had no problem keeping your glass full. The entertainment crew was very nice and they worked hard. They were fun.

Overall it was a nice experience but I think it was a bit over priced for what and where it was. The hotel misrepresented itself on the website. I tried to take it up w the hotel manager as did some of the other guests but her response was " we have many guests that stay here and spend a lot of money and they don't have any problems so I don't know what you're looking for". Not really what I want to hear when I'm on vacation.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank 11697er
Jefferson City, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

First, we had a blast taking our 11 year old to Cancun. It was the best thing to see her experience different places and people.
Check in was slow. Our room took two hours to get ready so we went and ate then sat in the lounge. After speaking with the Apple Rep and booking a excursion with him, he went to check on our room and it was ready. We had asked for a rollaway bed for our daughter and it was not put in the room until after dinner.
Maid service was a bit sporadic. One day they were there in the morning and the next was in the afternoon. There was also no toilet paper replaced several times or clean towels given so we had to call down. It seemed to me that the floor was not swept properly because there was a lot of sand in the corner of the room.
Food was okay not the best. Our waiter in the mornings made our day. He knew our coffee and had my daughters banana smoothie waiting for her. He even chased her down one day to give her the sunglasses that she left on the table. He was THE BEST staff member that we interacted with.
The shows/entertainment was ok. It was not comparable to some of the shows at Secrets but they were ok. we ate at three of the ala cartes and were not thrilled. The steakhouse was not good. The cut of beef was tough and the lobster was not only dry but had a extremely pudjent fish smell. The best meal we had was the breakfast buffet and the Asian.
The entertainment staff at this location was almost non existent compared to Secrets and the Valentin. My daughter was super bored when she went to the kids club to play beach soccer. She left because she said they couldn't get it organized.

The ocean was the best part for me. It was flat, clear and you could see fish swimming around. The beach was a bit rocky and if you weren't down early enough then you wouldn't have a chair to sit in.
Overall, it was a decent experience and although we won't be going back to las Americas, we will still give the Palace Peninsula a try sometime.

Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Blpopow2
Niagara Falls, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

This was our first trip to cancun and will not be our last! We originally were booked at the RIU Caribe through vacation express. Upon arrival we got our welcome drinks right away and the woman at the desk informed us that there was an upgrade available at the RIU Palace. A little skeptical at first but I must said I am so grateful for the opportunity and glad we accepted.
The RIU Palace is located perfectly in my opinion. It is close enough to everything you could need but far enough away where it is very peaceful. It is right across the street from a few shops( which the workers were extremely helpful and even gave us a break on some of the prices) Also the money exchange is right there as well so you can easily use that. Its only a short walk from the clubs and nightlife (Mandela beach, coco bongo, senor frogs, carlos and charleys- to name a few and all the malls and markets) We took advantage of the city bus as well which was easy to use and only costs $2 each time you get on and you just get off at your destination -but make sure you speak up before your stop, they drive pretty fast and will pass it.
The hotel itself is beautiful. Very clean, updated and nicely decorated. We were greeted right away and spoke to Eric at the front desk who hooked us up with a great room with an amazing view and even gave us a few laughs. The room was great -fully stocked bar and liquor dispenser -refilled as much as needed (very handy :)) Make sure to make dinner reservations a day or two a head of time in the lobby especially for weekends they fill up quickly.
The infinity pool was the first thing we saw when we walked in and the view is breathtaking. The pools are great especially the one with the swim up bar which is where we spent most of our time. Tons of activities and AMAZING& FRIENDLY service. Make sure to get up early and reserve your chairs though- it fills up very quickly and stays full the whole day.
The beach is on the smaller size but absolutely gorgeous. White sand and clear blue water. You can even see the school of fish that seems to hang around the same spot and will come right up to you if you have bread. Great for pictures and the hotel offers a complimentary photo shoot service and you just pay for the pictures you want.
Although everything was impressive at this hotel I have to say that the service is the best Ive ever come across. They really go above and beyond to make sure that you have everything you need at anytime anddd they do it with a SMILE! Despite the 5 different restaurants they have the buffet is where we spent most of our time. Food is good and fresh, lots of variety, quick service and the waiters are great , we ended up going to the same ones each morning (Ishmal) and night (Dennis) we highly recommended them! I know they say tip is included but all of the servers and bartenders work so hard & the extra tipping we did was much deserved. Take care of them and they will surely take care of you :)

Give this place a try you wont be disappointed!! We hope to stay again with them soon.

Room Tip: Ocean view suite with balcony - had a full view of the pools and ocean
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Jenna D
Rothesay, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

This was my first trip to Cancun and only my second All-inclusive, But it was the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. The staff in the restaurant areas were fast, attentive and friendly. The place was unbelievably clean as well. You also have access to the other Riu hotels in the area including Riu cancun which is next door and basically triples the beach and hotel are you have access to.

My only complaint is about the "Scuba Caribe" staff who sells day trips near the pool area. I had asked for one thing and they sold me another. They will also fail to tell you about added costs you might have on your trip.

Room Tip: The balconies of the rooms in the wing areas get more direct sunlight.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dingo_dm
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

1st trip to Cancun - our flight was late because of snow in MN but we got there. When we checked in we upgraded to a King Suite. We were there with another couple so we had rooms right next to each other. Hotel is a little bit vintage in its look and feel - very old europe type look rather than gleaming steel and chrome. We had trouble with the internet (I think it was user error). First night - we ate at the buffet and liked it so much we ate there for every meal. Our server (Adrian) did tricks he had learned from a tv show to entertain us - he was terrific! The couple we went with were vegetarians and I was worried they wouldn't get enough to eat but they were more than pleased with the buffet. For breakfast, one of the staff makes fresh squeezed juice which was DIVINE! There was a sister property next door that we went to one night for drinks and one day for lunch and it was nice to just show the bracelet and eat or drink wherever. The sister hotel (Riu Cancun) was definitely one step down from ours in clientele but it didn't bother us. Our staff was terrific (just like on a cruise, the housekeeping staff made us towel animals daily), the restaurant staff was overly helpful. The atmosphere was quiet - possibly due to us being there in January, not alot of families with small kids at the Riu Palace - they were mostly next door at the Riu Cancun. We were able to relax, kick back with a drink, have nice meals, a swim up bar in the pool or go to the hot tub and just unwind. It was a great weekend and we would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a King Suite
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 99Rebel
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

We traveled as a couple in July. It was a great experience and the staff upgraded us to an ocean view room.

Rooms
The rooms are spacious and very clean. The minibar is also a plus. Room service was always quick and did go out of their way when we had special requests.

Beach
The beach is amazing and there is ample opportunity to either relax, swim or borrow one of the catamaran that is included in the price (I think that is what it is called, it was often available and the instructor was very helpful). The scuba diving team at the hotel is also good. We did not have a problem finding a chair by the beach or the hotel. if you come very late the pool chairs might be full but it only happened once in two weeks.

The food at the specialty restaurants was very good. The buffet is huge and I really do not understand how some people were complaining about the variety. There are a lot of choices no matter what time. the quality I felt was good, but it depends on what you eat. I tried to stick with more location appropriate choices and was not disappointing. The most variety is served during breakfast and dinner. i was impressed with breakfast and that you were always able to get a table outside overlooking the pool and the ocean.

I must say one of the better places I have been to. They did really go out of their way to accommodate you and help you. Everything was very clean.They always seemed happy which I think is impressive for anyone. I must say that I do not remember any negative experience the entire stay.

Location
Extremely convenient and you can walk everywhere which I found to be very helpful. We walked to shops and clubs.

Overall
The hotel is beautiful, I love the the kind of architecture they use but that is of course subjective. We were extremely happy with our stay and I am happy about every dollar we spent. I definitely appreciated the premium liquor being included in AI, especially Don Julio.

Oh one point to make, the crowd was very diverse but not as many young couples but in turn it was more quiet at the hotel. We didn't mind since we did enough partying outside the hotel walls ;)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles