7,449 results
All reviewsmusty smellel romerojapanese restaurantspecialty restaurantsocean viewswim up barcoco bongomattress padsteakmake reservationsquiet poolwrap around balconyactivity poolhotel is beautifulliquor dispenserdinner reservationsjunior suite
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had a great week at the resort. The only complaint we have is that a more modern gym is needed like the Riu Palace Peninsula located a few miles down the street. Night entertainment and bus transportation are within walking distance.

1  Thank ttec
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from August 9-14 and it was the most amazing 6 nights of my life. It was my fiancé and myself (24&26) and we both loved the hotel.
Check in:
We arrived around 1030am and checked in but our room wasn't ready yet so we left our luggage with the bellboy, received towel cards, hit the buffet and then the amazing beach. Went back around 1230 (check in isn't until 3) to see if maybe a room was ready and walaa a room was ready! Which Was excellent since we had traveled from Los Angeles all night
Beach:
The waters here are calm due to being across from isla mujeres which was comforting for me because big waves scare me. The sister hotel next door offers snorkeling equipment for daily rental I think $15 usd. The water is turquoise and clear as can be with beautiful fish swimming around your feet. Water is warm but refreshing and the waiters are awesome will bring you continuous drinks all day. Our favorite was Willie he was sweet and very courteous
Rooms:
Rooms are nice, have ac, stocked fridge, beds are a bit hard but I slept comfy all week. The showers do kind of suck as you have to step in and out and the floors grt super slippery. For an older or handicap person this might be an issue
Food:
We never ate at any restaurants but the buffet never disappointed we were always full breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Plus they have amazing coconut ice cream very delicious. One day for lunch they had an outside BBQ some of the best BBQ I've ever had!!
Entertainment:
The swim up bar pool was always live and fun and the nightly shows were very good!
Staff:
I have never felt so welcomed! Those people work so hard all hours of the day and night. They treated us like queens and kings! We never experienced any thievery or or anything shady at all. I definitely felt at home. They make sure you have everything you could ever need or want

Tips:
Ask for an ocean view room it's worth the extra $
Take $50-100 in $1usd bills to tip the staff they appreciate and deserve it! Some of those people make $8-13/day!!

Apple vacations/excursions:
Apple was great to work with and they arrange transportation to/from airport which is convenient because leaving/ arriving at the airport can be quite the debacle
There is an apple rep at the hotel who is always busy but very helpful and speaks great English as well

Over all this hotel exceeded my expectations and we were already planning our next trip before we even left! Would definitely go back! You don't even need to leave the hotel but if/when you do there is so much to see and do its endless opportunities and a great vacation place

Room Tip: Ocean view
1  Thank Devan C
Reviewed August 18, 2013

As a veteran of the hotel industry in the Dallas area for over 20 years I wanted to add my input. Hopefully it will be beneficial to others. Overall, we were highly pleased with the property. However, there were some (one) glaring issue that will prevent us from returning.

General: We were a group of 6 (4 adults & two small kids) in Cancun for a family wedding that was held at the Rui Palace, so we really didn't select this hotel based on it's merit. It was really selected for us by the Bride & Groom. Cancun is a lot of fun, but it isn't necessarily the most kid friendly vacation destination. Having said that, the 4 yr old & the 3 yr old had a blast.

Transportation to/from Airport - We used USA transfers & had a great experience; very much like all the positive reviews we read before the trip. We would absolutely use them again. they were on time both ways, air conditioned vans. All good..!

General Facility: I read some mixed reviews, but we found the RPLA to be in excellent condition especially considering the wear & tear a hotel like this takes on a constant basis. There were always visible members of housekeeping in all the public areas constantly working & cleaning. We did not notice any "musty" smell at all. But if you think you can stay 100 feet from the ocean & not smell any salt air, your expectations are way off. And, or course, if high humidity & 90 degree temperatures bother you, may I suggest Aspen..? There are guests constantly trekking in & out of the lobby from the pool & beach area so the tile floors can be slick... But nothing past the point of common sense. There are always housekeepers dry mopping floors to keep this to a minimum. Due to many of the activities being related to the wedding, we really didn't sample any of the specialty restaurants (other than the steakhouse). I will comment on food shortly.

The room: We selected a Jacuzzi Suite. While it was not cheap (about 500 per day for two of us) It was very nice. I would estimate the size to be about 30 x 15; Separate sitting area; bath consisted of nice shower with adjustable height shower wand (great..!); soaker style tub; water closet with commode & bidet; dual vanity sinks. the room also had a complimentary mini bar stocked with about 12 beers, 4 waters, & four soft drinks. Also had dispensable liquors (we don't drink so I really didn't notice what brands). Two televisions, In-room safe large enough to hold a 10" laptop plus all the normal jewelry, money, passports, etc.Interior was about the size of a small microwave; coffee maker, wifi. By far the best feature for us was the balcony. As far as I could tell, there were only 4 rooms like ours in the hotel. All are on the top deck (1 on each corner). They were L shaped & easily large enough to host a party of 15 - 20 people. There were 3 or 4 sun loungers & another 3 or 4 deck chairs. All padded. I am an early riser & loved going out there about 5 am with a cup of coffee or two & just watching the sun come up. I personally spent more time out there than anywhere else in the building & loved every minute of it. The "jacuzzi" was really more of a hot tub... Not much in the way of hydro jets, but you could fill it up with water, relax & watch the stars. Our Grand kids loved it..! That was one way we could guarantee they would come down to the room & visit. Now, the one thing that will prevent me from every staying there again (until they get it fixed)...

THE BEDS: We were in room 747 & the bed was ROCK HARD. I don't mean "a little firm", I mean ROCK HARD". Think of a thick yoga mat on a gym floor & there you go... I could more easily nap on the couch than sleep on the bed. The bed was not old & worn out - this was a conscious decision on managements part to use a product that won't wear out. A regular mattress can develop weak spots or "lumps" but it's kinda hard to wear a low spot in GRANITE. I did share my comments with the desk staff. They were gracious but you could tell they had heard that many many times before. If you go camping with Bear Grylls a lot then you probably wouldn't mind so much but I damned sure did.

THE STAFF/SERVICE LEVELS: We found virtually every member of the staff to be very friendly & accommodating. This was the best total staff experience we have ever encountered. Now I admit that I am partial to the line-level staff because they really make a property work, so I spoke to just everyone I came in contact with & found them all to be genuinely friendly. Maybe my experience here was atypical but I don't think so. Common sense will tell you that a little courtesy towards these hard-workers yields very tangible benefits & makes for an enjoyable stay. We did tip housekeeping daily (about 50 pesos) and on two occasions we had fruit baskets in our room when we arrived back. Maybe they do that for everyone in the Jacuzzi Suties, or maybe it's just the Golden Rule in action. Either way, nothing was every disturbed in our room (even on days when we inadvertently left some valuables out of the safe).

THE FOOD/SERVICE: We had most of our meals in the main buffet (Don Roberto I think). Overall, the quality was much higher than I had expected an all-inclusive buffet to be. Don't get me wrong, they have never gotten a Michelin Star. It is a buffet geared towards feeding 500 people in a short amount of time. Quality of some items was a little better than others. You did have your expected amount of fried & casserole style items. I am a pretty picky eater & normally "eat clean" by avoiding processed foods, trans-fats, etc. I never had an issue finding plenty of good choices available. Ironically, I was so concerned about this before we got to the hotel that I arranged for the Van driver to stop at a market so I could get some natural/less-processed/organic foods to take with me to the hotel. I never needed any of them. the wait staff was also equally impressive. After the first day they all remembered what we drank, etc. Very friendly & gracious. It was my choice to tip at each meal (anywhere from 50 - 100 pesos) depending on how messy the 3 & 4 yr olds were at that meal. But I also saw everyone else that weren't tipping getting equally excellent service. As with most things in life, let your conscience be your guide. One last bit of info on food in general in Cancun: If you show up anywhere expecting to find a great steak, then you zigged when you should have zagged. I would no more expect to find a great steak in Cancun than I would expect to find great seafood in Des Moines. All 6 of us in our group ate different things at each meal & we all find plenty that we liked..! Lots of desserts for the kids (and adults) to choose from. I am a little bit of a coffee snob & yes, this was not the greatest coffee I ever had but it wasn't the worst either. I did much prefer the coffee in the room to the coffee in the restaurant.

THE POOL/BEACH: Several pools to choose from. And yes, pool chairs can be a little hard to find at 1 in the afternoon, but that was never a big deal to any of us. Pools were never over-crowded in our observation & there was always somebody close by to take drink orders. Again, the entire area was remarkably clean given the high volume of people in & out of there.

Overall, we had a great time. Normally we much prefer smaller, less-touristy, places than Cancun. But the staff & facility (minus the beds) were terrific. If they ever upgraded the sleeping choices I would return. So overall, I gave it 3 stars. Judging only on service I would have given them 5 stars.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank Bob L
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two weeks at the end of June 2013.

Check in was quick and easy. We were upgraded to a sea view room free of charge. I would suggest not paying for a sea view room beforehand because mostly everyone gets a free upgrade. Once checked in our cases were brought up to our room for us.

Our room was on the second floor and we had a beautiful view of the infinity pool and sea. The room was very spacious and clean. I didn't notice a musty smell that other people have noticed but at the end of the day, it's what comes with being so close to the sea.

The hotel is so close to the clubs, bars and restaurants like Coco Bongos, Hard Rock etc. But the many different restaurants and bars means you could stay in the hotel for two weeks and never get bored.

The staff are so friendly and hardworking. They appreciate your tips greatly so please remember to tip them.

The beach is breathtaking. Beautiful clear water and white sand. There is waiter service at the pools and the beach so you can relax whilst drinking an amazing cocktail.

This hotel is amazing, definitely 5*. I'd recommend to anyone who wants a hotel that's good value for money, great food and in a great location.

Loved every minute we were here and hopefully will be able to go back in the future!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank easylife7
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We returned to this hotel after enjoying it so much last year and stayed 29/7 to 12/8 and it was not long enough. The hotel is in need of a little freshening up but still spectacular and spotlessly clean. The food was even better than last year if that is possible and all tastes are catered for and i find it impossible to believe people who have said they couldnt find anything to eat, want to know what they eat at home.
The staff were as attentive as usual and cannot do enough for you, they almost take it as an insult if you dont want anything, tipping them is not required to get this type of service but it is always well received and always welcome as the wages in Cancun are very low.
The rooms are as described in the travel brochures and on the web sites with almost anything you could possibly need on your holiday with some breathtaking views. The tropical climate does lead to a slight musty smell and some dampness in your room at times but this is not a major problem trust me.
All in all the RPLA is one place that you must visit if you can and me and my wife will certainly be returning ASAP.
Cancun itself is amazing with all the facilities you could possibly want and this year i went to swim with the whale sharks and this trip itself was worth the holiday SUPERB. Coco Bongos is also another must do we have been 4 times and its still jaw dropping entertainment.
I honestly cannot fault RPLA or Cancun itself on anything and this year flying with Thomson on the dreamliner just set the cherry on the cake. A superb plane and a great way to fly.

Room Tip: All rooms are superb but we had room 334 and it was ideal close to the lifts but not so close as to get too much noise at night
2  Thank aftonloyal