7,442 results
All reviewsmusty smellel romerojapanese restaurantspecialty restaurantsocean viewswim up barcoco bongomattress padsteakmake reservationsquiet poolwrap around balconyactivity poolhotel is beautifulliquor dispenserdinner reservationsjunior suite
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for his birthday a year ago. The property is beautiful and clean. It looks just like it does on the photos.The staff was friendly and had a good amount of planned activities (concerts, pool volleyball, etc). The all-inclusive deal is so worth it! We hardly even went to the beach because the pools were so nice and had bars. The food at the buffets were pretty basic but we had no complaints. Unfortunately, we never made any reservations for the restaurants. The hotel is located across the street from many stores so you don't need to go far for anything you may have forgotten. Overall, we had a great experience!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marissa C
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Just wanted to write a brief review as reading these reviews really helped us in deciding
where to stay. Riu Palace was beautiful, close to the airport, for an all inclusive the buffet was decent, the staff for the most part very friendly and went out of their way to meet our needs. The two guys serving drinks on the beach worked so hard literally running back and forth with trays of drinks and cleaning up after lazy people who left cups and straws on the beach. The drinks are plentiful and strong. We loved the Italian resturant the most and also enjoyed the Steak house but it is outside so a little warm. For all the people who complained about the dampness or moisture in your rooms go to the dessert for your next vacation- you are in the Caribbean what do you expect!? By the way the ac in our room (630) was so cold at night we had blankets sent up. The room was great - the 2 double beds as some of have mentioned are oddly pushed together. So our 2 daughters slept on the sofa bed and my hu and i each had a double bed. And they are very firm. The room over all was very nice and roomy we had a beautiful large balcony. Housekeeping comes 2 times a day and went so far as to organize some of our things. DO NOT leave your safe key in the room - housekeeping took ours and we had to retrieve it from the front desk. It would be nice it the safe had a digital keypad so you didn't have to keep up with a key. Also i didn't remember reading this but the water served everywhere is great i even had frozen drinks and drinks where ice had melted and had no problems at all.
Definitely look for Mauricio on the beach or at Facebook- the beach guy cancun for excursions - we did the snokeling trip to La Isala and it was a great price and all the staff very professional. Also do not miss Swimming with the Whale Sharks. - a once in a lifetime experience!

Room Tip: Our room was 630 2 double bed pushed together as well as a full sized sofa bed with a beautiful large balcony and nice bathroom with a double vanity. A/c was very cold!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank kimr972
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed at the Riu Palace July 30 - Aug 3 2013 for part of my honeymoon. My wife and I were extremely satisfied with this resort. We have also stayed at the Beach Palace in the past, but we thought this resort was better. The food was incredible, specifically the buffet and lunch time outdoor BBQ. We were given an upgraded room upon arrival. There was never a problem getting top shelf drinks at any of the bars. Thank you to Fortunato at the swim up bar, he took great care of us. Staff service was fantastic. The beach area is wonderful with hardly any waves. You can snorkel right next to the rocks on the beach and there are a lot of fish in this area. We had a wonderful stay and would definitely stay here again. Don't worry about what people post about a musty odor, it doesn't exists! I can't complain about anything regarding this resort, it was that good. You can't go wrong with this resort.

Room Tip: Room 316 has a wrap around balcony and fantastic views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank EricDMjelde
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The Good:
I'll start off by saying the resort was gorgeous! The pool's where very nice. The lobby was stunning, lots of marble. More of a "Palace Look", far from modern. I found the rooms to be outdated, The beds aren't anything special, The sheets and pillows would be something you would find at a best western. This is not a huge deal, but that being said. I've stayed at 15+ 5 star resorts, I always found the bedding to be top notch.
The bartenders where great! Fast service and very friendly. The bartender would see us walking up and would have our drinks made before we sat down. Tip well, the service will follow. the service at the restaurant was great!

The bad:
Ill start off with the property that was stolen, I know how Mexico works, and that everything should be locked up. I had everything that was a value to me locked up, Passport, money, wallet, camera, laptop ETC... you can't lock all your clothes up in the safe, I had a 285$ Gucci Hat stolen, 300$ Gucci sandals stolen, and a brand new pair of nike's still in the box!
Just vanished in thin air, I contacted the Manager of the hotel, they sent a security guard to my room, he searched the whole room for my missing stuff. We didn't find it. After this all this, I asked the manager for a report on the issue, He was VERY hesitant on providing me this report, stating that its useless. I still had one provided. The Letter had many spelling mistakes, and was very unprofessional! It wasn't even on a letter head??? Just a white piece of paper.
After going back to him to retrieve a some what professional letter, He was very rude, and stated I should lock my stuff up - This set me off, IF THE SAFE WAS BIG ENOUGH FOR MY SUITCASE, YOU BETTER BELIEVE I WOULD OF HAD IT IN THERE. I saw a security guard once, and that's when he came to my room. I found the security to be very minimal, which is odd. I've stayed a few Princess 5 stars, The security was top notch. Also, lock your balcony!!! there's only a 4 foot wall between balcony's, anyone can jump it and get into the room!!!
The food was horrible!!! The buffet was gross, in the morning all I ate was pancakes, How can you screw that up? The bacon was so over cooked every day, you would break teeth eating it. I tried the omelette one morning, looked great, But the inside was still raw. This being said, buffets are never great, and I shouldn't expect much!
The steak house was a joke, I sent my steak back 3 times! yes 3 times! I asked for medium, The first time - Blue, the outside was burnt, inside was cold and blue, you could still see ice on the steak. The second time - I received a thicker steak this time, It was worse!!! The third time, I told the waiter, WELL DONE, as my patron was already done eating and we where all getting a little upset, the steak came out how I asked, The lobster was rubber like, had no taste.
We tried the Mexican restaurant the following night, we thought where in Mexico, I'm sure it will be great food! WRONG, The appetizers where great! The Fish was mush, like it was cooked at lunch and reheated, The fajitas where so dry, and boring, no taste.
Room Service : Do they follow recipes? Doesn't look like it, Every time you ordered something, it was different(if it showed up). The club house came with pickles, onions, no bacon one day and carrots. Next time it had no chicken, just ham, No lettuce, no tomato, and came with fries. There nachos came with cheese you get from 7-11 out of a machine, This is five star food? We had ordered a few times and it never showed up, we call 2 hours later, yah its coming. We stopped eating the hotel slop, by day 3. We went out to places like the hard rock, there was a couple of local restaurants that we found some good reviews on. they turned out great!!! I will never stay at a RIU ever again!!!
PAY THE EXTRA 200$ AND GO TO A PRINCESS RESORT!!! YOU WONT REGRET IT.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Landon Y
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I would like to keep this review short but I need to make my experience known. I arrived with 3 other people at the Riu Las Americas on Aug.3 for my birthday vacation. We were extremely generous to the staff and very trust worthy. Maybe too much.

We were at the pool for the majority of the day and at around 6 pm I decided to take a nap. I went back to my room(420) ALONE and fell asleep. At about 8 pm my boyfriend came in and moved me to our friends suite(419) as he felt more comfortable with me being with someone else. I woke up later in the neighbouring suite at around midnight. When I went back to my room, my purse was empty (which had my drivers license and debit/visa in it), my camera was gone, along with my IPhone and headphones. At first I thought I had misplaced these things or that my friends/boyfriend had taken them while I slept.. But I woke up in the morning and searched my room top to bottom with no luck.

Now, a day or two before this happened the OTHER neighbouring suite(421) was vacant and there were staff and maintenance men coming in and out of the room all day. My boyfriend and I saw this as a little weird as they never actually completely CLOSED the door, they left it ajar.. Allowing any PUBLIC patron of the hotel into the room.

Not only is this not professional on the hotels part, as security should be a concern for them, but it caused our balcony to become available to basically anyone who walks by.

Normally this wouldn't be a concern, but in this hotel, there are HALF walls used as separating walls between balconies. We were at fault for leaving the balcony door unlocked, BUT that does not give anyone a right to scale the balcony and come into our suite to steal things. Either way, the resort should NOT have left the room 421s door OPEN, and if we weren't robbed by a patron of the hotel, the RIU chain would still be at fault because it would of been a member of the staff who stole from us.

It is a INCREDIBLY DISTURBING thought to know that it was only HOURS before that I, a 21 year old female, was in that suite ASLEEP and ALONE. What would have happened if I was there at the time of the robbery? It could of escalated very quickly from stealing a few things to the worst of thoughts.

Now.. The story doesn't end there. I spoke with the Assistant Manager of the Riu Las Americas hotel, Kodja. He proceeded to explain to me that the staff of the hotel grow temptations after seeing goods being left out time and time again. Implying that it was MY fault for leaving my personal items out. He than contradicted this statement by letting me know that I should treat the hotel and my suite as a HOME. Where I replied that "If it was my home I would feel comfortable leaving my things where ever I please"

I requested a PROFESSIONAL, OFFICIAL letter from the hotel stating that my things were stolen so that I could file a claim with insurance. I received the letter the morning I left (Aug.10) and read it over quickly, literally as I was walking out the door. When I arrived home my mom pointed out the NUMEROUS spelling mistakes and that they had called me MR. instead of MS. in the opening.

I am FURIOUS with what has occurred at this "REPUTABLE" hotel chain and I am even more FURIOUS to read other reviews on TripAdvisor that this has happened before.

PLEASE take caution staying at this hotel as security is a HUGE issue. If your instinct tells you something is not right SPEAK UP. If we would have mentioned to the reception that we were not comfortable with the adjacent suites door being open, this might not have happened.

PLEASE remember to LOCK your balcony door, as the workers here are CLEARLY desperate enough to CLIMB over the separating walls on the balcony.

PLEASE keep everything you deem valuable LOCKED in your SAFE! A suite case lock would also be a good idea as I have read previous posts of articles of clothing being stolen.

Hopefully this review can prevent someone going through what I did on what should of been a "relaxing, worry-free vacation" at a "5-star" resort.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple