7,442 results
All reviewsmusty smellel romerojapanese restaurantspecialty restaurantsocean viewswim up barcoco bongomattress padsteakmake reservationsquiet poolwrap around balconyactivity poolhotel is beautifulliquor dispenserdinner reservationsjunior suite
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I would like to keep this review short but I need to make my experience known. I arrived with 3 other people at the Riu Las Americas on Aug.3 for my birthday vacation. We were extremely generous to the staff and very trust worthy. Maybe too much.

We were at the pool for the majority of the day and at around 6 pm I decided to take a nap. I went back to my room(420) ALONE and fell asleep. At about 8 pm my boyfriend came in and moved me to our friends suite(419) as he felt more comfortable with me being with someone else. I woke up later in the neighbouring suite at around midnight. When I went back to my room, my purse was empty (which had my drivers license and debit/visa in it), my camera was gone, along with my IPhone and headphones. At first I thought I had misplaced these things or that my friends/boyfriend had taken them while I slept.. But I woke up in the morning and searched my room top to bottom with no luck.

Now, a day or two before this happened the OTHER neighbouring suite(421) was vacant and there were staff and maintenance men coming in and out of the room all day. My boyfriend and I saw this as a little weird as they never actually completely CLOSED the door, they left it ajar.. Allowing any PUBLIC patron of the hotel into the room.

Not only is this not professional on the hotels part, as security should be a concern for them, but it caused our balcony to become available to basically anyone who walks by.

Normally this wouldn't be a concern, but in this hotel, there are HALF walls used as separating walls between balconies. We were at fault for leaving the balcony door unlocked, BUT that does not give anyone a right to scale the balcony and come into our suite to steal things. Either way, the resort should NOT have left the room 421s door OPEN, and if we weren't robbed by a patron of the hotel, the RIU chain would still be at fault because it would of been a member of the staff who stole from us.

It is a INCREDIBLY DISTURBING thought to know that it was only HOURS before that I, a 21 year old female, was in that suite ASLEEP and ALONE. What would have happened if I was there at the time of the robbery? It could of escalated very quickly from stealing a few things to the worst of thoughts.

Now.. The story doesn't end there. I spoke with the Assistant Manager of the Riu Las Americas hotel, Kodja. He proceeded to explain to me that the staff of the hotel grow temptations after seeing goods being left out time and time again. Implying that it was MY fault for leaving my personal items out. He than contradicted this statement by letting me know that I should treat the hotel and my suite as a HOME. Where I replied that "If it was my home I would feel comfortable leaving my things where ever I please"

I requested a PROFESSIONAL, OFFICIAL letter from the hotel stating that my things were stolen so that I could file a claim with insurance. I received the letter the morning I left (Aug.10) and read it over quickly, literally as I was walking out the door. When I arrived home my mom pointed out the NUMEROUS spelling mistakes and that they had called me MR. instead of MS. in the opening.

I am FURIOUS with what has occurred at this "REPUTABLE" hotel chain and I am even more FURIOUS to read other reviews on TripAdvisor that this has happened before.

PLEASE take caution staying at this hotel as security is a HUGE issue. If your instinct tells you something is not right SPEAK UP. If we would have mentioned to the reception that we were not comfortable with the adjacent suites door being open, this might not have happened.

PLEASE remember to LOCK your balcony door, as the workers here are CLEARLY desperate enough to CLIMB over the separating walls on the balcony.

PLEASE keep everything you deem valuable LOCKED in your SAFE! A suite case lock would also be a good idea as I have read previous posts of articles of clothing being stolen.

Hopefully this review can prevent someone going through what I did on what should of been a "relaxing, worry-free vacation" at a "5-star" resort.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Tess F
Reviewed August 11, 2013

WOW! To start the review I must mention the incredible hotel! Marble and granite litter the floors, walls, stair cases and even the bathtubs! The views from hotel balconies are breathtaking and the staff is very friendly and helpful.
Upon checking in (at 1230) we were told we must wait until 3pm for our room to be ready...which is fine because check in is not until 3pm :-) I did see others just showing up at 3pm and being told to wait for their room to be made ready...so I do recommend arriving at least 1 hour prior.
When we got to the rooms they were beautiful. Both had balconies, adjacent to each other and adjoining hallway between them which made for privacy when wanted and openness when desired. It is quite humid in the rooms as it is right on the beach, but as long as you make sure your balcony door is shut all the way and the air is turned on you shouldn't have any problems. We accidentally left ours open just a crack one night and woke up wet lol.
The minifridge is great! a 6 pack of XXEquis , sprite and pepsi plus bottled water all replaced daily! As well as four bottles, rum,vodka,tequila and brandy all replaced when they run out. (if they run out lol). 24/7 room service (granted the menu for room service is very limited...but it is 24/7.

THE FOOD:

The restaurants here for the specialties....not so breathtaking. The set up and ambience was nice....the food from Tio Pepe's was really disappointing as well as the 2 hour dinner service. The next night we dined in the Steak House, the lobster was really good, ribs were decent. The steak had plenty of flavor but was a really thin cut of ribeye. Being a steak person I was disappointed here, but the service was flawless and the food didn't matter so much because I was with my family having a great vacation.
The buffet....is GREAT! Breakfast lunch and dinner all three are chart topping. A selection for everyone and with a different theme for dinner every night is hard to beat. I never got tired of it that is for sure. Just make sure to take your time and look over everything...I almost missed the prime rib until the last day. TIP YOUR SERVERS! This is all inclusive, its all paid but for the sake of humanity tip your servers! That goes for the bar as well. We saw maybe 5% of people tipping....kind of sad especially as hard as the staff was working. They are also very friendly :-)

THE DRINKS:

The bartenders are AWESOME!
There were 5 bars in the hotel. One is a swim up bar in the adult pool. Of the other 4 two were outside and two inside. The inside bars have the better top shelf choices and it's really easy to make friends with the bartenders. Just tip them a little and learn a lot. There are great choices of drinks with pictures in their bar menus for the people who have trouble selecting. One that is not on the menu....the Dirty Banana. Its a good one!

This Riu is situated right next to another Riu which you also get access to! So you have access not just to the 5 bars and restaurants in Las Americas but also to the hotel directly adjacent...which from the outside the other one is a little larger but after spending a couple hours in it I was glad we were at Las Americas. IT just seemed a bit more relaxed and elegant. There are 2 other Riu's in addition to these not too far down the strip..not sure if they all share amenities but it wouldn't hurt to try when your there.

There were nightly shows starting around 9:45-10 downstairs ranging from local Mariachi to Elvis and Michael Jackson impersonators to karaoke. After these there are buses taking people out to the local nightlife spots like CocoBongo and others.

THE NEGATIVES:

Not many but......after the first night of sleep and day of activities we returned to our rooms for a quick refresh and then out for more fun. Housekeeping was cleaning our rooms when we showed up...so we all waited in one room while they cleaned the other. When she was done cleaning the one room we went into the newly cleaned room and waited for her to clean the other room. We were in a hurry but did not make any mention of this to her, we did however leave both room doors open so we would know as soon as she was done. When she was nearly done I went and tipped 20 or 50 pesos...I can't recall. The room was so nice, everything not just put away but organized, sheets pulled down, and a nice towel design. My girlfriend noticed she was missing a skirt. We had read other reviews of things mysteriously disappearing from rooms so we had already hidden our valuables (Not in the safe). There was literally nothing more valuable in our room than the clothes we came with. Well...my girlfriend tells me she is missing a skirt....so I think she probably lost it or forgot to pack it, but she was very adamant that she had it that day and was sure it was folded in the drawer (on top of her other very similar looking skirt). After making a call to the front desk mentioning a missing skirt it was promptly returned by another member of housekeeping very coldly...basically thrown at her. Then as we were leaving the room the housekeeper who had been in our room mentioned in Spanish that she didn't see it. Hard to believe since it was folded up in the drawer. The manager was contacted and had no knowledge of the incident. This all leads me to the conclusion that there is definitely a theft ring running inside the housekeeping department. I am sure it is only a couple of bad apples spoiling the bunch....but don't let rotten fruit ruin your vacaction!
After this we started utliizing the safe in our other room, and I am fairly sure that as long as you keep your safe key with you, nothing will come up missing from it. But if you think hiding your safe key in your pants pocket or pair of socks or anywhere in the room will keep them from finding it think again...housekeeping is routinely in the rooms for 30-45 minutes...and the bad apples are almost surely searching for where you might have hidden the key or other valuables. I was pretty resourceful in hiding our stuff and we didn't have any other problems.
So to sum it up...if it means a lot to you...don't bring it....but if you must....don't leave it in the room unattended.

I would recommend this hotel highly. Just remember my stern warning about losing valuables. And to reiterate...after speaking with multiple other guests we seemed to be the only ones who had come up with anything missing. Although....would you really notice one shirt or pair of pants gone after a vacation?

A side note...make sure to put in your dinner reservations as soon as you check in :-)

Room Tip: There are corner rooms that do not have balconies....try to get one with a baclony! Much better!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Russell S
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We visited the Riu Palace Las Americas as a family from the UK, last 2 weeks in July 2013. Overall I have to say this hotel was a brilliant experience.

On arrival at the hotel the lobby was VERY impressive, particularly if (like us) you are used to European holiday hotels. Some reviewers have mentioned a bad smell, but I didn't notice anything unpleasant. The front desk staff were very helpful, courteous and quick and checked us in with no delay at all, plus a welcome drink which was very welcome indeed after some 20 hours travelling. The porters were insistent on taking the cases for us, and already had them outside the rooms by the time we got there.

We had rooms 141 and 143, which turned out to be facing the pool and the sea (nice) and directly above the show theatre (not so nice). As many have said, the rooms were brilliant, always kept spotless, beds were comfy, aircon worked OK, wifi worked brilliantly, etc etc. Nice touches included the occasional towel animals. We had a few issues where the guy who tops up the mini-bar would knock on the door and then just open it without waiting for an answer. We learned to put the deadlock on if anyone was using the shower!

Food was one of the few downsides. The buffet has a big selection and to begin with we attacked it with gusto, but about 10 days in it did get a bit samey. We tried the steakhouse and didn't think much of it, but perhaps we happened on an off night. Also, from time to time there was a distinct smell of drains, but this may have been the Cancun drain system in general rather than a fault with the hotel.

No chance of getting a sunbed by the pool, the towels were out long before we got there. No problem at all on the beach, always lots of vacant loungers. As others have said, no umbrellas on the beach. Solution - visit Walmart and buy one, around 190 pesos (£10.00 GBP, $15.00 USD), and if you can't get it home it's no big deal. The sea is crystal clear with large fish swimming around, and waiter service even on the beach. We also used the main pool but not the activity pool.

The biggest plus to the whole holiday was the staff, hands down. There seemed to be an army always cleaning and polishing (even shinning up ladders to clean the tops of the columns), and the serving staff were truly outstanding. Every one was keen to go out of his or her way to help or provide whatever was required. We were completely knocked out by everyone. We weren't sure if tips were optional, expected or obligatory, but the staff were so good it made tipping a pleasure.

The all-inclusive was a new experience for us and we had visions of going stir-crazy being locked into the hotel for 2 weeks. It couldn't have been more different - we found it so easy to slip into the relaxation of the place that the time just flew by.

Would we recommend it? We had originally planned to go to Cyprus in 2014, but the booking has now been changed to - Riu Palace Las Americas.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank nigelrrb
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The only negative thing I can say was at the beginning of the holiday... no welcome drink and a wait for check in so Reception staff not brill. Not a great start after a 10 hour flight but from there brilliant in everyway. The food was wow, steak, lobster and plenty of choice in main hall but also the a la carte were the best we've had ( and we've been to plenty of Riu hotels). Drinks great, anything you want and as many, you can certainly get drunk if you wanted to. Staff were lovely. Paula,lovely young lady that served our evening drinks regularly, Fermin and Enrique, who was pool side and lovely chaps. Arianna, customer services, books your a la carte meals (up to 3 days in advance) was also helpful and lovely. The animation team well what can I say but "fab" they are Jack, Vanessa, Uzi, Eric, Katie and David who all work well together to make your holiday special. It helps if you like pool stuff, volleyball, basketball etc. They work really hard to make sure you have fun. Thoroughly enjoyed our 2 weeks and didn't want to come home and that certainly is the sign of an excellent holiday

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank BabsA51
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We visited Cancun in September of 2012 so I'm a little late in reviewing this hotel but I believe it deserves a great review because it truly made our trip special.

We arrived in Cancun at night, took a shuttle which essentially dropped off people at different hotels. After having seen a few since we were the last stop, we were so glad we chose this hotel. The hotel is very pretty and makes a statement as you walk in. The only thing I didn't like and instantly noticed was the smell. I was shocked a little but realized that the mix of the wood throughout the hotel and the sea water was probably the culprit and nothing more. So, I can't imagine walking in and not noticing it but do realize that you will quickly forget it as there is so much more to this hotel.

The rooms were big and the view we had of the water was wonderful and relaxing. Our room was always kept clean and picked up. The food that is served is really amazing. I can't imagine wanting more options honestly. The beach was a little small for our taste but when you stay at this hotel you can use the amenities at the other Riu hotels so whenever we wanted to we just went to another one of the hotels and enjoyed their amenities just to mix it up a little. I wasn't a fan of having to stand in line in the morning to book a reservation at one of the restaurants and would urge the hotel to find another system (maybe they have since I visited). It is quite a pain to have to wake up early on your vacation to do this.

Overall I give this hotel high marks for the hotel itself, the food and the amazing service the staff gives you all throughout the grounds.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple