“Exquisite, Beautiful, Relaxing Resort and Vacation”

Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
Ranked #17 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
O Fallon MO
“Exquisite, Beautiful, Relaxing Resort and Vacation”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Me and husband and 6 of our friends (couples and singles - in five rooms total) stayed at the Riu Palace Las Americas in Cancun Mexico for four nights, five days (July 28-August 1, 2013). In short, I'll sum up the vacation and resort in three words: amazing, beautiful, extraordinary. We booked this trip through Apple Vacations. We would go back in a heart beat!

Now you can read on for my in depth review of each aspect of the resort if you choose.

ARRIVAL AT THE AIRPORT
I am so impressed by how far the airport has come since the last time I was in Mexico (9 years). It was a breeze going through customs and security. A short line that went very, very fast. The airport was very easy to navigate around in and figure out where you had to go. We had a private van shuttle take us to/from the airport since there were 8 of us so we didn't have to make any stops which was nice for a change. The resort is only 20 minutes away from the airport.

CHECK IN
Our Apple flight changed after we booked the trip from a 9:00 am flight to 6:30 am, so when we arrived at the resort at 9:30 am, of course they didn't have one room available. So we had to leave our luggage in the lobby while we went and ate lunch and swam. Checked back at 1 pm, like they asked us too and no rooms were still available. When we went back at 4 pm, we were able to get all four rooms. This is the time you want to make your dinner reservations!

FOOD & BEVERAGE
Whether it is Mexico, Dominican or Jamaica - I've always found the food to be average at all of the resorts I've ever stayed at. I have nothing negative to say, it is standard resort food. It's good. We ate at the steakhouse twice. The steak was very good. It came with a sampler platter of a variety of cold seafood for the table to share (we had 8, so we got two platters). You share the salad and platter of sides, they offer one salad and one platter per two people. The beverages are great, loving going right down the drink menu and ordering every frozen cocktail they have to try new drinks. The beer selection is Dos Equis. Wine selection is very limited, I like a semi sweet or sweet wine (Riesling, Moscato, etc.) - they only had the dryest of dry wines. They do use all top shelf liquor, you don't even have to ask, which is fantastic. The mojitos aren't good because they aren't as sweet as at home (they do not use simple syrup, they put a packet of sugar in the drink).

BEACH
Beautiful white sandy beach....ocean is crystal clear turquoise, you can see fish swimming around near your feet and it was seasweed free while we were there. Many loungers (no umbrellas) on the left side but on the far right side, all of the chairs had umbrellas, never had a problem getting a lounger. You could pull them near the water, which is nice (a lot of resorts do not allow this) if you want to lounge in the ocean. The server was around to ask if we needed drinks every 10 minutes - amazing service. Needless to say he earned a very good tip!

POOL
On my bucket list was to stay at a resort that offered an infinity pool - this resort has TWO. Going into the trip I was trying to hype up the infinity pool and explain how amazing it was going to be, my hubby and friends still didn't get it...BUT NOW after having been in an infinity pool, they said they will not stay at another resort that doesn't offer one. :) The infinity pool off the lobby is more family friendly (didn't go to that one), the one off to the right has a swim up bar, a DJ and activities. The bartender works his tail off and does an amazing job!

ROOMS
We had a standard room with a balcony on the side of the building, if we looked to the left, we saw ocean if we looked right we saw the shops across the street. The room was very clean, no bugs. The bed was firm but comfortable. The King Bed is actually two double beds pushed together, yes you read right - two separate beds. The shower, no matter what time of day or night, always had hot water and water pressure was never a problem. Huge plus for any resort! You have the option to hang a green or red door hanger up so the maid knows whether or not to clean your room. Don't bother, she came no matter which door hanger we had. The room safes are not combination safes so you have to request and get a lock and key for your room safe at the front desk. We didn't realize this until after we checked in so we had to make a trip down to the front desk to get ours. It's a standard key, I'm sure my key worked in other rooms, although I did not test it. We did not have problem with security, we had our Ipad, Ipod, Keys, Phone, etc in it. They have four liquor dispensers in your room - Bacardi Rum, Jose Cuervo Tequila, Absolute Vodka and the fourth was either a Brandy or Scotch. All rooms have a sitting area with a TV.

CLEANLINESS
The resort was immaculate. Every plant, tree, rock was in its place. You never saw bugs crawling around. I would advise to bring some "OFF" bug spray. I did get a few bites on my legs during our steak house dinner (which was an open air restaurant).

NIGHT LIFE - THE GOOD
The nightly shows were very good, very entertaining. I don't think I've every really enjoyed these at any other resort. They had a Grease theme, a 70's/80's rock theme (those are the two I remember) and there were very good.

NIGHT LIFE - THE BAD
The Pache night club onsite was terrible. It opened at 11 pm nightly. It was SO hot inside. The music was a latin techno, so if you're into that, you'll be happy; however, my group is into pop, hip hop, etc. so we were disappointed to not hear any familiar dance music. It is also pitch freakin black in there minus the few neon spotlights. We went there each of the four nights at different times for about 2 hours each night to see if maybe there might be different music playing but there wasn't.

OFF RESORT
The Riu Palace is a very short 10 minute walk from the bars and clubs "strip" - Coco Bongo, Daddy O's, Fat Tuesday's, Carlo's & Charlies are literally right around the corner. Do not taxi Make a left out of the resort, then turn right and that entire street will be lit up with all of the neon club and bar signs. We walked to the strip during the day to scope things out. Then went back at night. We only went to Fat Tuesday's and had drinks. It's open air and right on the street, they have a DJ, no cover charge, great drinks (Red Bull, Bud Light, etc.). It was a lot of fun. Cover charges range from $20 (smaller clubs) to $75 (coco bongo, etc.) depending on the club and whether or not drinks are included. We also went to Margaritaville and had drinks and lunch one day and shopped at the flea market there. Definitely barter!

CHECK OUT
Easy, breezy with the front desk. I will say when we met with our onsite Apple rep the day before we left to see what time we had to be in the lobby to catch our 10:30 am flight, he seemed very agitated with us because I guess he had left messages on all of our phones and we did not return his call? Either way, he asked no less than four times, why we didn't call him back. He was borderline rude to us actually. Very disappointed by this. He told us to be out front by 6:25 am. The shuttle did not show up until after 7 am.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PartyRockCrew18

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I decided on cancun for our honeymoon, we have been to cancun a few times and decided on the Riu Palace. We were not disappointed.
The hotel looks great from the outside and the lobby is very grand!
The first four days of our holiday was very wet due to the back end of various hurricanes in the Caribbean, the complex has so many bars and places to eat we didn't have to leave the hotel.
The rooms were very clean and the mini bar was topped up every day (don't worry if it runs dry just ring reception for more).
During the day the entertainment staff get every one involved in activities suitable for every one, they will also leave you alone if you don't want to join in and just watch. they also put on a good show in the evening.
Food and Drinks.
The buffet food was the most amazing buffet i have ever seen and tasted, so much choice and chefs on hand to cook whilst you wait.
There are a few other restaurants you need to book in to and they do not disappoint steak, lobster, caviar, champagne and amazing service.
Overall I would recommend any one to stay here the staff can't do enough for you. The hotel is clean and great location.
Tips....The staff are grateful of any tips they get, after speaking to other guests who didn't tip received the same level of service as us, hotel reception have plenty if change to tip with.
Met some great people who we had a few good nights out with take care guys.

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed at Riu Palace Las Americas in Cancun Mexico July 26-Aug 1. There were 3 adults, 2 teenagers, and 1 toddler (3 years old) on the trip and we all had a good time. I don't have any complaints about the hotel. The staff was very friendly and they did an excellent job of keeping the hotel clean.
Rooms: Beautiful views from the room with a nice size balcony. The maids kepts the rooms clean and left cute towel art. We had two rooms and one of them seemed to have a better air conditioning system than the other. I did have a problem with one of the toilets but it was fixed promptly.
Food: We made reservations at the Mexican and Japanese restaurants and they were both good. Other times we just ate at the buffet and there was always lots to choose from. Room service was good as well.
Pool: Very crowded and difficult to find a chair/umbrella near the pool areas. I'm unsure when everyone went to reserve chairs, but they were taken by 7.
Beach: There were always chairs available, but there were no beach umbrellas. That was the biggest downfall of all for me. I knew this before we went, but I was hoping to get a chair with an umbrella at the pool and then go down to the beach throughout the day, but that didn't happen.
Play area; The hotel map shows an area marked childrens playground, but there is not one. A bit of a disappointment, since we had a toddler in our group.
Entertainment: The staff put on good shows nightly. Lots of music/singing.

1 Thank cherylw2012_13
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I have just returned from the Riu Palace Las Americas where we went with a party of 8, myself, my husband and my two daughters age 6 and 2 and both sets of parents. Upon arrival it was very impressive everything went smoothly until we got to our room. Bearing in mind that we had spent a fortune on this holiday I was bitterly disappointed with our room. Everyone who had arrived with Thomson had been put in the same part of the hotel, our balcony overlooked the main laundry from the adjacent Riu Cancun, the main road and the fan rooms which were altogether very noisy with a young family. If you are given a room number 01 -10 we were 501 then ask to be changed. We asked to be changed and were given a new room after 5 nights. We also had to have our balcony boarded up as my 2 year old could fit through the gaps not a lovely experience after paying thousands for this trip! Once we changed rooms we got a lovely room overlooking the pool and beach so happy days! Hotel really clean agree that it's looking dated and needs a revamp. Plenty of choice in buffet or speciality restaurants and all branded drinks which was good. We had a pram so we were limited as steps to various parts of the pool area. No play area for young ones either and a tiny kids pool at the side if the hotel. Beach amazing and Pedro kept the drinks flowing around the pool.xochitl from the entertainment team was excellent with my two children they only wished the kids disco was longer than 30 minutes. Give this hotel 8/10 it would have got full marks if not for the experience with our room. To pay extra for an ocean view when we had already paid what we had would have been crazy when you could see many families checking in and getting great rooms.

• Stayed July 2013
Bear Creek, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This was our first Cancun Experience and it was fantastic except for one thing which I mention near the end of this review. A friend who has stayed at many Cancun resorts recommended this one and I’m glad he did. The specific location of this hotel is PERFECT. There are never any pounding waves due to the location on the point which is well protected from the prevailing winds. Something to consider if you have children.
Olympus tours handled the transportation and it was flawless to and from the airport.
The Hotel was very nice. It was kept in top condition by a staff that seemed to be very good at making sure it stayed that way. We stayed in 241/242 which was a good draw because that wing of the building was in the shade during the end of hot days. The room was also very nice and well-kept considering the hotel is 8 or 9 years old already. I can’t say enough about the housekeeping staff. They were terrific.
As far as food, this was the 3rd inclusive we have been to and it ranked #1 for us. The buffet was huge every day and although many items were on the menu every day, there was more than enough variety for us through 7 days. We booked the Steakhouse and the Japanese restaurant on 2 nights and we were not that impressed by those.
If you are looking for authentic Japanese, don’t bother booking a table. All sushi is the cooked variety…cooked shrimp, smoked salmon, etc. The dinner selections were a grouper stir fry, steak medallions, chicken and I forget what else. I’m a sushi/ sashimi fanatic and you won’t find it here. Even those accustomed to hibachi style may be left a bit disappointed. That was our fault for not reading the menu carefully ahead of booking.
The Steakhouse wasn’t bad but again the potions were HUGE! The salad alone was the size of a full dinner salad and by the time the 16 oz ribeye showed up we were pretty much full already. I’m not one who judges a meal by the size so this is may not matter to others. I would have preferred smaller courses so as not to leave so much food on the table. It just seemed like a terrible waste.
In the end, the convenience and selection of the buffet was more than enough for us and at least we could pace ourselves without feeling like gluttons.
They put on an outdoor lunch buffet on Wed and Thursday between the 2 pools which was a real treat since no dress code was required and the food was awesome. Chicken, ribs, burgers, paella, potatoes, sangria and on and on…
The 2 infinity edge pools are fantastic. The one has non-stop entertainment from volleyball, basketball, aerobics, etc. and the DJ played all day long. We loved it! We had just been to the Grand Palladium in Jamaica in April where the only music was coming from a toy radio on the pool bar! The Riu knows how to keep the party going and the guests engaged which we really enjoyed.
The beach was great. There was plenty of white sand and blue water for those looking for that experience and there was also a little reef and man-made reefs for snorkelers to enjoy as well. It was a good combination for a resort. We brought our own snorkel gear with us.
We rented jet-skis and a catamaran sailboat during the week and had a great time on both.
There are multiple bars to keep you hydrated all day and night and the wait staff was INCREDIBLE! My thanks to Juan who take of us all week and Jamie the bartender near the pool!
My biggest disappointment came on our last day at breakfast. We were seated at a table in the dining room which had black soot all over the white table cloth, silverware, etc. The waiter came over and explained it was coming from the overhead ductwork like it was no big deal and he scooped up the debris from the table!! I couldn’t believe it! All week we ate in the same room but never seated anywhere where this occurred. I can’t believe they would even continue to serve guests in such conditions. Why not just shut that section down until the problem was resolved!!?? It was a very bad way to end an otherwise spectacular week. It’s only fair it’s included in this review since I see that as a major problem in an otherwise incredible resort. I only hope that they read this and follow up to resolve this as this was my only complaint… albeit it’s a show stopper if you happen to experience it!
I will certainly return to the Palace someday as it was a terrific choice of hotels. We visited the Riu Cancun next door which seemed to have a more college/ party crowd. We preferred the layout and overall atmosphere of the Palace hands down over the Cancun.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was my second stay at the RIU Palace Las Americas, I have also toured the property on a business trip (I am a travel agent). I was disappointed this time with the front desk. I am a loyal RIU client (multiple stays at RIUs in several locations, RIU Class member). This trip, I brought a group - we had 4 rooms - and requested via email 2 weeks in advance to be somewhat close to each other, or at least on the same floor. That did not happen, nor did the front desk make much of an effort when I asked again at check-in. Disappointing, and means I will likely go elsewhere myself and recommend other properties to clients (there are MANY great properties in Cancun!). That said, the vacation was incredible and the staff other than at the front desk was top notch! As were all those who assisted us at Lomas Travel, with transfers and excursions! This hotel is right in the middle of the action, if you like nightlife off property.

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Such a beautiful hotel, the staff were all really nice and very helpful. They cant do enough for you. The food is great, especially the steak house, mexican and outside BBQ, these three are a must. Our room over looked the pool and beach, which was incredible. Mini bar and 24hr room service was brill and all included in the all inclusive deal!! Rooms were spotless and cleaned twice a day. Great pools with good music and atmosphere. Great location, all nightlife at a walkable distance.
Had the best holiday ever and would go back again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple