“My new favorite place”

Ranked #17 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Kansas City Misssouri
“My new favorite place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I have travelled to Cancun about 15 times and have stayed in several all inclusives. The Riu Palace Las Americas is my new favorite place. Very elegant decor. Efficient friendly staff. Beautiful ocean view rooms. The best food by far. Top shelf liquor (some hidden for tipping guest like me). Great location near shopping, night clubs and 3 other Riu properties.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank T-mobile69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

We have stayed in numerous hotels in an around Cancun and Playa del Carmen from 3 star to 5 star resorts. So I'm not a 5 star snob. And generally each resort has something unique to offer that leaves me satisfied. This resort is a good value but there's nothing special about it. After 3 nights, I'm ready to leave. There's just not that much in terms of entertainment at the resort. No snack bar at the beach, there's a cafeteria close to the beach but there's nothing that you can walk up to in your bathing suit. I'm used to taco stands or someone cooking up something on the beach for the guests, not here. The food is very average, even at the fine dining options. The service is great, but I've always had great service in Mexico. The wait staff is always working hard, and the grounds are clean and so are the rooms. All that is good. But if you like something that feels special and unique, this resort is not for you. Imagine a Las Vegas style resort near the sea--for some, this a perfect option.

Cancun, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

We spent quite a bit of time going over reviews of this place while we waited for our vacation to arrive. In the back of my mind I expected to find less than what we were expecting and hoping for. I was wrong. The pictures you see in these reviews simply don't do this place justice.

Some words that describe the facility; immaculate, ornate, elegant, clean, and I could go on.

The staff was professional, sincerely nice, helpful, and they jumped when you had questions or concerns. The food at all of the restaurants was superb. I have not seen a single bug, any dirt, or anything that needed to be cleaned.

To put this more simply- come to Riu Palace Las Americas. You will love your stay and will want to come back.

Room Tip: As for a room with a view of the ocean. It's amazing.
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

The trip was great! We had a fabulous time and absolutely loved the Riu. The staff is great, food was good, and the property was perfect because it was smaller and right on the beach.

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone- we had the best time. This area in cancun is perfect, because had we ventured out, there was plenty of nightlife. We met tons of people who had gone out every night and felt perfectly safe taking a cab or walking during the day to shopping, bars, and restaurants.

There was a really great crowd at the hotel for making friends. Groups of all ages, married and dating couples, girls weekends, a few wedding parties, and very very few kiddos. It was definitely not the place for a single person to find someone since everyone was either coupled or in big groups. We made plenty of buddies in the pool, and since the hotel was so small, we'd see them every where for drinks.

As far as food at Riu, the buffets were incredible and had everything you could possibly crave. We had dinner at one of the restaurants where we made reservations in advance, but the food wasn't great and there were only 2 options for times which one was too early, and the other too late. It would be nice to be able to email them your reservation in advance for the other restaurants since other guests line up in the mornings to make reservations.

We saw one of the shows on the last night where the majority of the staff performs. It was awesome! The entertainment staff is really incredible- they are in the pool at 10am and entertain until midnight, then take guests out downtown on a bus if they're interested. It's amazing the amount of hours they put in and also remember your name, are so nice, and work really hard to make sure you're having a great time.

The front desk staff and the day managers were great as well. They took care of us in no time when we had issues with our room when we first arrived. I think that all of the rooms allow smoking and the one we originally had smelled terrible, like someone had just smoked a cigarette. I'd recommend checking to see if there are other non-smoking options. They put us in a different room (still allowed smoking), but the smell was considerably better.

The only tip I have for the next person is to make sure to get plenty of small bills! We brought $20's thinking we could get change- which was next to impossible. One's, fives, and ten's would have been a much smarter choice.

I'd stay in any Riu property any time! Can't wait to get back to the sun and sand!

Room Tip: Check to see if you can get an ocean view. Rooms on the lower floors have less of a smoky smell.
1 Thank Haley L
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

We have spent one week in the beginning of April in this beautiful hotel in the heart of Cancun hotel zone. It is situated five minutes walk from Coco Bongo and just across the street from several shopping centres. The rooms are large and clean. The choice of food is incredible for every meal. Waiters are always with a smile and ready to serve you. The hotel has two pools, one more quiet, for families, and the other more lively for those who want active fun, music and games. The beach is big enough, most of the time without waves and with beautiful white sand. A la cart restaurants are great, with exception of Japanese one. It was not terrible, but just not up to par to others. We would definitely go back to this hotel, and gladly recommend it everybody else. Greetings to Ernesto, Jair, Miguel, Cristinn , Pablo( the concierge) and others who made our stay fantastic. We`ll be BAK.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Do not stay anywhere else but here they go above and beyond with service. My son got married here and it was so perfect. The entertainment was fabulous well done to all the guys and girls for their hard work. Xx

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank lileld
Franklin, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

This was my 13th trip to Cancun and I have only stayed in two hotels twice, so I've seen them all. I have to say that the Riu palace was by far the most quiet hotel I have ever stayed in. There is almost no hussle and bussle anywhere in this hotel. I was impressed by how easy it was to make reservations for a la carte dining. Usually I am prepared to beg or even bribe the reservationist because they always say there are no seats available for you first night. That was not the case here at all. We made all our reservations for our trip on our first morning with ease. I have never ran into any bad weather but this trip was a bit gloomy so we took advantage of the spa for massages and they were great. We did lots of shopping and the location made it very easy to get around because it is in the heart of the hotel zone. I have stayed at two other RIU's in Cancun but this one blew them both out of the water. There was not one spec of dirt or dust anywhere in this property and the rooms were a lot bigger than I am used to in Cancun. Saulo was our waiter daily at the outdoor lunch buffet and the Mexican restaurant. I highly recommend him. I can't wait to go back. It looks like I found another hotel I might pay a repeat visit to!!!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a better view over the palm trees
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family