“Would definitely Return!”

Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
Ranked #17 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went there during Spring Break which is usually the time we like to go. No problems with Spring Breakers at this place, arrived to a refreshing beverage, check in was a breeze, we wanted to ck in early but our rooms were not available until 3:00pm.
We used the time to make reservations for dinners for the nights we wanted. The first night we had to eat at the buffet, this was the only gripe we had. Reservations have to be made for the sit down dinners. You can choose Steak, Japanese, Italian restaurants and buffets. I'm not a fan of buffets but it had a good selection of food to choose from.
We upgraded our room to an Ocean View suite, which was nice but the rooms are a bit outdated, but spacious, more than enough for two people. The balcony has two chairs but is small.
Throughout our stay the service was excellent in all restaurants. We really loved the steak and lobster, ESP my husband. We didn't like the Japanese restaurant, but that was the only one, don't waste your time, the food was blah.
Location is good if you want to hit the bars, flea markets, all within walking distance. I loved having Starbucks right across the street too, we went there Daily. If you purchase a mug, you get free drink, just ask!
We went shopping at La Isa which is only a bus fare away for 8.5 pesos.
The resort is is beautiful, clean, plenty of areas to layout, in other resorts you have to fight for a chair, but not this place. There is nightly entertainment, abd the lounge is large and they make the best Drinks! not water down either! Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would stay
again!

• Stayed: March 2013
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas

Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

My title might be confusing to anyone outside the UK but believe me I have just spent 2 very busy weeks at the Riu Palace either side of Easter and am confused by people on TA that complain that they can't find a bed or the Sun is in the wrong place.
My Girlfriend and I used the sun terrace above the outside buffet restaurant overlooking the noisy pool and believe me there are 2 showers, a whirlpool and 50 empty beds with sun ALL day long, the max number of people I saw on any given day was about 6. If Riu management read these reviews I suggest that they take away the Sunbeds and replace them with Double Sized Sunbeds similar to the ones in the Villa section at the Peninsular, this may encourage more couples to use this area,
Freeing up space elsewhere.

HOTEL REVIEW

PROS

Small but great beach, very calm sea to swim in on Sunny days.
Great for children and snorkelling.

If you do not find the beach to your liking, you can walk a few yards to the Riu Cancun next door and use their beach and facilities

2 infinity pools, one of which is very quiet and nice for parents with young children.
The other is quite noisy with activities going on all day long.

If you do not want to leave your Sunbeds to get a drink then there are waiters running around all day long fetching Cocktails,
Beer, water etc I suggest you give a tip with your first drink and believe me they will look after you all day long.

The Lobby on entering the Hotel is stunning
It's a shame some people don't dry themselves Before walking through here.

I found the the Reception staff and concierge to be very friendly and helpful especially when you consider the amount of people arriving/leaving every day. If you have a problem with WI-FI they will sort it for you.

My room was a junior suite overlooking
The sea, kept spotlessly clean by my maid
I must have had about 6 different animals made from towels put on my bed over the course of our holiday.
Please remember during very busy changeover days that your room may not be cleaned until late in the afternoon as the outgoing guests rooms need to be changed first. I also recommend tipping these ladies as soon as you arrive.

There are plenty of restaurants to choose from, the busiest as in all hotels is the buffet
I only booked 2 of the restaurants that you needed to book in advance as I went out most nights.
The Italian restaurant has a very limited menu, Fillet of Beef, Seabass and not a lot else. I also booked the Krystal for my Girlfriend's birthday, I have to say the service was outstanding and the China and Glassware are on my shopping list (made in Spain) the food looked great but unfortunately didn't come up to scratch.
The buffet restaurant is very good, some days better than others depending on your taste, the service in here is excellent especially if you get to know your waiter.
On my second day I complained to my waiter that the coffee wasn't hot enough, his English was poor but I remembered those magic words I learnt in Spain many years ago, Muy Caliente ( Very Hot I assume)
It works every time and as soon as we entered the restaurant the waiter rushed off to get me fresh coffee or hot water for my girlfriends fruit tea.
I never tried the Mexican restaurant as there was an abundance of Mexican food on the buffet every day and Japanese in Mexico doesn't sound right, but read reviews elsewhere.

The Lobby Bar is great especially when Abundio is working, the girls working this area and the lobby are on the move all day long serving great cocktails and spirits, always smiling.
There is also a bar in the entertainment section run very efficiently, but I only watched the acts twice, the entertainment team night is very good, not sure about the other nights but as I recollect Elvis should have left the building.

The Riu Peninsular is well worth a visit,
5 mins Taxi or Bus. Try the buffet.

If you like Benidorm or Magalluf then you will love the Riu Cancun, loud, noisy and Vulgar.

The main Strip is only a 10 min walk, nightlife galore.

I don't usually have a lot of time for holiday reps but Aime from Thomsons UK is great for info about Cancun and booking restaurants, ordering flowers, sorting out weddings etc ( not mine ).

CONS

You can only book restaurants 48 hrs
Before you want to dine, when I queried this with the Concierge he informed me that people were booking tables for the whole of their holiday and then picking the nights that suited them but not cancelling the other nights, this obviously meant there were lots of No Shows so to be fair this is a better booking system.

SUNBEDS, I have read a number of TA reviews complaining about people saving beds (it's the same the world over) I personally never had a problem but some people like their own piece of land.
BUT one morning I was on my balcony about 6.00 am and saw the beach attendants saving dozens of beds with towels, so if you find somewhere you would like to sit I suggest you talk/tip these guys
and you will have your favourite space saved for you every day. Alternatively drag the management down to the pool at 6.00am one morning and demand to know what the hell is going on. Good Luck

Make sure you bring something for a dodgy stomach as myself, my girlfriend and a few other Brits we talked to went down with a 24hr bug, buffets are not the most hygienic of places with hundreds of people handling serving spoons etc

SPORTS BARS
I'm very confused that the sports mostly shown on the TV in the bars is from the UK, USA, or CANADA as are most of the hotel guests but on the 2 occasions that I tried to watch a live game of football in the Riu Cancun and the Riu Peninsular the barstaff could not understand nor speak a word of English, surely these barstaff should be working somewhere else in the hotels, anyone can order a drink in Spanish but try asking if they will be showing a specific match at a specific time and they just look straight through you.
So hooters it is then. As soon as you visit a bar Restaurant on the strip my bad Spanish and their not so good English means we can get our requests over without too much fuss.

Will I be back next year? You bet I will.
But i might try the Riu Peninsular even though the lobby looks like a busy airport lounge. Architects should be made to eat and drink in these places then maybe they'll
Get it right next time

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Papajohnsmoan
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Don't believe any of the negative reviews - this resort is fantastic!
Just returned from a family vacation and I cannot think of one negative thing to say. My kids (ages 13 and 11) were well entertained. The food was amazing (no need to even try to get reservations at any of the specialty restaurants because the buffet is wonderful). The staff are beyond helpful and work so hard to ensure you have a great vacation. The waiter at the beach/pool always ensured I had a drink in hand without even asking - he was that good!
The beach is absolutly stunning - the infinitiy swimming pools are beautiful.
I will definitly return and will pay extra to get an ocean view next time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 596KellyL
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We just returned from a week at RPLA and had a wonderful stay. I would like to start off my giving a shout out to Freddy at the front desk that went above and beyond in helping us get a room to our liking, Ernesto at the outdoor bar by the Japanese restuarant, David at the Can bar, Wilberth at the pool and last but certainly not least our favorite waiter Tomas! Tomas, you made our trip extra special and because of you we would choose to come back to RPLA over trying somewhere new on the strip.

This is my 5th trip to Mexico and 3rd time being on the strip and RPLA met my expectations and I am picky!

Pros:
-Party atmospehere but with responsible adults. We went over to check out the Riu Cancun a couple of times and that place is packed with young adults that are drunk and out of hand. Had us running back to RPLA.
-Lobster tail inculded with steak meal at the Steakhouse a la carte. Very impressed!
-Nightclub at Riu Cancun next door was packed 2 out of 3 nights we went and was lots of fun
-Poolside waiter service. Best we have ever had.
-Dj poolside was great. They played current top 40 dance hits. Great selections.
-Lots of clean towels in your room
-Packed mini bar with lots of selections of pop, club soda and water not to mention the 4 bottles of liquor.
-They have Gingerale but it's hit and miss whether you will be able to get it or not if you aren't sitting at a bar. At the restaurants it depended whether or not the waiter wanted to go out of their way or not. We found most times they did.
-No timeshare people bothering you to tour the hotel
-Shrimp with curry foam at the Krystal restaurant were AMAZING. A must have!
-Buffet had lots of selections that should satisfy any tastebuds
-Waiters go above and beyond spending copious amounts of time during set up for the next service making sure the chairs are perfectly aligned through the whole dining room. We were in awe watching how obsessive compulsive they were about it. They mentioned that everything is inspected by a head waiter and it must meet high expectations.
-24 hour room service. We only used this once but it was good and arrived within 30 minutes of ordering.
-Wifi service is excellent and worked throughout the complex. Once you logged in to their system you didn't have to keep doing it over and over everytime you wanted to connect. Best I have seen down south.

Cons:
-They do not have decafe brewed coffee. They brought me a pot of hot water and a jar of instant coffee. I have been to many resorts and have never had this issue ever before. Thank god there was a Starbucks at the mall across the street.
-Bathrooms are far and few between. Be prepared to plan ahead if you have to go to the washroom. Other than your room there are only washrooms in the lobby and ones near the pool downstairs near the spa.
-Hand dryers in lobby washroom and not papertowels.
-Only 2 elevators per each side of the hotel which are always packed full. Thank goodness we were only on floor 1 (which is really level 3) as we had to take the stairs quite a few times.
-Italian restuarant. Offers same menu for lunch and dinner. Only one pasta dish and it had seafood in it.
-Japanese dinner was disappointing.
-Having to book a la catre dinners by waiting in line up in the lobby
-Safe using a key not electronic. We did not use it because of all of the recent reports of theft so I wanted to be safe rather than sorry.
-Poolside chair game
-Beach wasn't well cared for. Chairs were loaded with sand and garbage all over the place.
-Shower in the room is dark
-Our last morning there they had no cold water. I refuse to fly without having a fresh shower. I had to fill the tub with scalding hot water and then add bottled water from the fridge to cool it down in order to wash up. I informed them of the issue at check out and they said they were aware and that they had a leak on the cold water system so it was shut down.

All in all a great vacation. We would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Avoid 8th floor as there are no balconies
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kristen M
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed one week, great hotel, nice clean. The food is good, the all inclusive package is "real". U get what you pay for, selection of restaurants is good. Location is convenient since its walking distance from main nightlife activities in Cancun

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Darra2007
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We spent 6 days here last week during spring break. Our #1 concern was of rowdy springbreakers. The hotel was sold out but consisted mainly of families. Noise was never an issue and in spite of being sold out, the hotel didn't feel crowded.

The hotel is quite lovely and kept very clean. The beach is narrower than other parts of the hotel zone but it is still white with tuquoise water. This area has calmer water and is easier to swim in than other hotels I've stayed at. There is no shade on the beach (i.e. no umbrellas or trees) but there are loungers. The loungers that are under shade are terraced from the hotel and have a view of the water. It is a close walk to get onto the beach regardless of where you sit. I am a beach person and found this to be just fine. The waiters come by frequently to take beverage orders.

The international buffet was generally very good to excellent. I enjoyed the buffet much more than the specialty restaurants. We ate at The Crystal and the Italian restaurant (the name escapes me) and both times all of us were sorry we hadn't eaten at the buffet instead. The variety is phenomenal.

The architecture of the hotel is very pretty, but be aware that the balconies on floors 3 and 7 have very tall and wide rails although you can see the water by standing and looking over the top. The balconies are fairly small with 2 chairs and there is a small rack to hang a wet suit.

The beds were very comfortable to my taste but I was sorry I forgot my feather travel pillow. If you like an extra firm pillow (i.e. hard), you'll be fine. This is not a complaint; I'm including this for information purposes so you'll know how to pack.

The people who work at this hotel are very friendly and nice. Not every person speaks English but you wouldn't expect them to since you are in their country.

We had a wonderful stay and would go back again in a minute.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank 1finesoup
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We again returned to the Riu Palace in late March. The hotel was super busy and as it was a last minute booking we could not get the type of bed we requested. We had to wait until everyone else from the bus had checked in before we were dealt with which was a bit frustrating. The junior suites are basically the same and have a nice seating area. The beer is always stocked with beer and pop as well as the liquor dispensers with rum, tequila, vodka I think, and brandy. The buffet is more than adequate for most tastes and as we've been there before we didn't bother with the other restaurants. The evenings do get very cool so it's a good idea to bring something warmer to wear. The only negative I have is that the pool is extremely cold. I appreciate having the swimup bar as a separate pool rather than polluting the main pool. We would definitely return again. Take the time to go into Cabo....it's fun.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple