“Great service, staff, and cleanliness. Typical, terrible Cancun buffet food.”

Hotel Riu Palace Las Americas
Ranked #17 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Mexico all inclusive experience to date is; Grand Oasis(x2), Barcelo Costa, Grand sunset Princess.

First and foremost, the service here was the best I have experienced to date. No staff ever acted like you owed them a tip, but they certainly were appreciative and showed it when you did tip well. Which in turn caused me to tip bigger and more often. The main bartender in the lobby bar(Abundios) was excellent. I threw him 200 pesos the first night I was there, and he would not allow our drinks to get even half empty before he had another one on the bar for us. And the next night he seen us enter the bar and had our drinks on the counter by the time we got there.

The maids were a little more finicky. If I left 20 pesos on the bed they would leave us animal figurines made out of towels. But one morning I had no small bills to leave, so I went down for breakfast and to get some change, but when I came back the room had already been made up. Except they didn't leave any face cloths in the room. I made sure from then on to always have adequate cash on me each night to leave for tip the next morning.

Food-----

A La Carte restaurants were good for the most part. We did not try Teo Pepe which is Mexican food, since none of us like Mexican cuisine.

Sakura was personal favorite which is Japanese food.

The rest of my group liked Krystal, which was modern fine dining. The beef there is excellent.

The steakhouse which I can't remember the name of offhand, was a bit of a let down. It was still good food, just not anything better than average. Plus our expereince was skewed because they mixed up our reservation and booked us for 2 people instead of 4. So we had to split all our starters and salads between eachother.

Buffet------

Downright terrible. Easily the worst buffet food I have had to date. On our last night there the waiter at Krystal(Rigo, excellent guy), told us that we could talk to the head chef at the buffet and he would make us anything we wanted if we didn't like what was being served. Unfortunately we weren't there long enough to try that out, but it's a tip for anyone else who goes and happens to read this review. So instead I stuck to eating hamburgers and ice cream most every lunch time. For breakfast it was bacon and omelettes. One night of supper there was enough to make sure we booked an A La Cart for every other night there.

The beach is not huge at this hotel, but the water looks nice and the sand is white. It's a little rocky on the left side if you're facing the water, but mostly flat rock that isn't too jagged. Still, stick to the right side and you're safe. The way the hotel faces you end up losing sun kind of early on the beach here.

Overall perception of this hotel is that it is pretty dated decor wise. The cheaper Riu Cancun right next door looks much more modern when you walk in. But this hotel is very clean. The staff here does an amazing job of upkeep. I watched maids cleaning holes on the chair backs in the buffet one night. Level of cleanliness was very apparent when we visited the Riu next door. The Riu Cancun was nowhere near as well kept.

The rooms were nothing fancy but no big let down either. Fairly average I thought. Only complaint was that we had what was supposed to be a king bed in our room, but instead it was 2 twin beds pushed together, that both had seperate sheet sets. So me and my fiancee had to sleep separately.

Location is great if you like to go off resort and do stuff. It is a 5 minute walk from all the clubs and the flea market. There is a mall directly across the street.

I think that about covers it...................

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Someguypartyin
Write a ReviewReviews (6,985)

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I travelled with my partner (26-27) for two weeks holiday in October. This hotel was perfect we received a free update to an ocean view room and found the room was lovely, clean, great view. The only problems we did have when balcony door wouldn't work and when safe broke were rectified straight away. The room was spotless and cleaned regularly . The mini bar was topped up everyday and we used this a lot.

The food at this hotel was brilliant the buffet never dissapointed and we sampled every a la carte my favourite was the Japanese and Italian. I also had pizzas after wild nights out.

This hotel was quite quiet but service was second to none and bar staff kept us entertained, we booked a lot of excursions (not thru hotel) and had a few nights in cancun which was just a 5 minute walk. The location of hotel meant we got a great mix of relaxation or party depending on what we wanted.

The staff were more than helpful at reception and booking resturaunts...my partner also arranged with a very helpful member of staff to have our room decorated with flowers ect for a surprise proposal and gave us a call and free tequila to celebrate!

We also used the spa and had massages I would highly reccomend this!

Over all this hotel is fantastic and had no complaints would definitely go back

Room Tip: Pool veiw in the centre of hotel or corner room!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rachy_20
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Have just got back from an 11 day stay at this hotel. So glad we chose it as it is just beautiful hotel with a certain 'old fashioned elegance' about it! It is peaceful and classy and the staff are so helpful and polite and go out of their way to make your stay as wonderful as possible! The open buffet was varied and good quality and I was always spoilt for choice! Our room was massive and cleaned every day to a very high standard. Some people have mentioned the' musty' smell in the corridors, which is true but no big deal. We didn't try the different restaurants as you have to book and we preferred to do our own thing. Im sure there are other lovely hotels around but loved that this hotel was in the centre of things and we were able to walk to shops etc or take a short bus ride to the shopping centres. We also were able to use the facilities of the other Riu hotels which was nice.
We went on two trips when we were there, the first was to the island Isla mujeires which Im sure is great if the weather were good but it wasn't this day and to be honest think we should have been allowed to cancel . Our second trip was on the speed boat which was a nightmare as the sea was so rough and it was really scary and then to top it all it broke down and we were marooned until someone came and rescued us! I think they should explain that you are made to go fast in rough seas and through a crocodile infested lagoon, which incidently a second boat in our convey broke down and the girl was crying she was so terrified! I personally would never ever do this trip again and would advise anyone who is even a little nervous not to go on it!! We have met people who thoroughly enjoyed it, maybe the water was a lot less rough for them! All in all we had a lovely holiday with only a couple of rainy days, was a bit peeved that we had to pay £45 each exit tax which was never mentioned when we booked our holiday!!!!!

Room Tip: The higher up the less noisy!! Worth asking for an upgrade as we did and got one for free!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank minxkitten
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We really enjoyed our trip and the property was very clean and efficient. Food was just okay on the buffets but we certainly never went hungry. The restaurants, however, were great. We were traveling with a 1 year old and there were multiple activities for her as well. Overall, I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Elizabeth S
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The accommodation was very clean with regularly stocked fridge. Too bad the company decide which drinks go on the optics. We had the standard supply of good branded Tequila, Vodka, Brandy and Bacardi, none of which I like so we went to reception and asked if we could possibly have any bottle replaced with gin but he just pointed to the bar. We wanted gin in the room so we could enjoy a drink while sitting on our balcony at night and not have to take the lift 5 floors down to the bar every time we needed a topup. At the bar they happily gave us a very large gin each with no ice or mix so we could take it upstairs but it was so messy to have to then pour it from one glass to another so we could add mixers. This seems to be a fairly common issue as we heard a few people ask the rep if they could change a bottle. The staff were fabulous and very pleasant. They seem to work hard constantly keeping the place immaculate inside and out. The one annoying thing was a maid coming to the door nightly, sometimes after 10 pm, to ask if you want clean towels, one night we were asleep when she came to the door. We didn't even need the towels as we had plenty clean ones daily. The food was okay,nothing special, but we went next door one evening to Riu Cancun and they had a better variety , it's also a beautiful hotel. Back at our own hotel we had a fabulous meal at the Fusion restaurant, the Japanese restaurant, and the Italian one was fantastic. The huge disappointment was the steakhouse, the one we most looked forward to. The steak was tough as old boots, I asked for mine to be done medium, my daughter asked for very rare yet both were done the same, and tough! You get chatting with other people and the Italian restaurant was recommended to us by quite a few and rightly so, it's fantastic although strangely they didn't do pasta but steaks were cooked to perfection and the soup was to die for. We had 3 lunches and 2 evening meals there. All staff, including beach bar waiters and towel quiosk, were friendly and helpful. The beach was wonderful and it was a joy swimming in that lovely warm sea. We will definitely go back. Didn't have young children with me so can't say what facilities were like for kids but the pools were fantastic.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank elena125
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Took my 16 year old for four days to escape the Iowa winter. We booked Jr Ocean View, got 6th floor, center of building, SPECTACULAR view of the ocean and pool area. Love, Love, LOVE hearing the ocean waves crashing outside my open balcony door...ahhhhh relaxing.

Pros-Location (walking distance to flea market, shopping, easy bus ride to downtown or Wal Mart or to the other RIU's which are fun to visit and you have full access to all 4 of them!) Resturant staff very good, great rooms, great shower, clean facilities everywhere, plenty of resturant options, wait staff on beach is excellent, the beach is great even if shaded in the late afternoon and somewhat small...we never had a problem finding 2 beach chairs or poolside although it was fairly busy Jan 18-22 when we were there. Snorkeling right in front of the hotel around to the right in front of the rocks was very good with 100s of fish, and I saw a barracuda and a couple puffer fish (nothing compared to Hawaii, but for the convenience it was really good!)

Cons-Buffet food is what it is, not as good as cruise ships, also didn't change much while we were there (but we always found plenty to eat!), beds a little hard but sleepable.

This is our second stay at a RIU (once at CABO) and both times we had a great time and felt the value for the money was very good. Compared to other hotels that cost 50-100/night less people had all kinds of problems in their reviews like bad smelling water, noisey rooms, etc, where if you just pay the RIU Palace you will basically have a worry free vacatinon with few or NO complaints...what's that worth? We probably had 20 virgin Pina Coladas a day, this had to easily offset the price of an all inclusive even though we don't drink alcohol.

We would certianly go back in a heartbeat, and probably will. I've only given two other places that status: Grand Wialea and Kaanapali Beach Hotel, both in Hawaii...so I think VERY Highly of RIU Palace Las Americas.

Tip-If you like a little bit of an ocean walk/hike (maybe 1.25 miles?), we walked the beach from the RIU Las Americas to the RIU Palace Penisula and RUI Caribe and then enjoyed their facilities one day...in a couple places you have to walk around some stuff but it's a fun walk with lots of neat ocean front things to see and activities if you want to parasail or rent wave runners or eat at an ocean front grill etc along the way. Took us 1 hour and was a highlight of the trip for the cheap (free) fun we had...spent $1 each to take the bus 5 minutes back to RIU Las Americas.

Room Tip: Our Balcony on Jr Ocean Suite was HUGE and the rooms for that catagory seem to mostly have the best...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank prcted
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We just got back from Riu Palace Las Americas on Jan. 18th. 8 of us went on this trip. It was a great stay. Food was good but could use more American style food for finicky eaters. Front desk check in wasn't the quickest. Entertainment staff did a great job with various games. "Choco" was our favorite. Shows at night were good. Mostly dancing. My father in law did Karaoke next door at the Riu Cancun. Beach was beautiful and big enough for us. Very clean resort. We visited the other Riu properties nearby and we all liked this one the best. The Palace Peninsula is very nice and modern. We just preferred Las Americas more. It just seems cozier. The Peninsula is very wide open. Seems like it can hold a lot of people. We ate at the Peninsula twice and the majority of our group liked it better than Las Americas. It is a very hard choice between the two. I would just stay at the cheaper one and visit the others. It's a very short $1 bus ride between them. I also recommend taking the catamaran ride over to the Isle of Majerus. All drinks and food included. Snorkeling wasn't the best but we did see a shark resting in a crevasse. We held a nurse shark for a small donation. You get to shop downtown Isle of Majerus. On the way back you get to try the spinnaker. It's like a a swing using a sail off the catamaran. It was very hard coming back to the midwest and the -5 degree weather. Hope to be back soon. We had a great time!

Room Tip: Rooms in the middle have larger balconies.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends